Author Topic: Are you smarter than an atheist? A religious quiz  (Read 12885 times)

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
Re: Are you smarter than an atheist? A religious quiz
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2012, 07:15:49 PM »
The STUDENT went terribly wrong when he assumed evolution is only a theory because no-one ever witnessed it. Ever heard of evidence that logically proves certain things without seeing them? Even in LAW we have that. Most murders dont have witnesses BUT through indirect evidence it is 100% logically proven that something happened. Without ever seeing it. Evolution has thousands of fossils that without a doubt make evolution proven. WITHOUT A DOUBT!

Most of complicated science (and most of the things the 'student' is using) are being built by using indirect evidence and through repeated experimentation always arrive at the same conclusion (something religion has never done ONCE, let alone repeated experimentation). So by not being able to see protons and elektrons 'the student a.k.a. religious representative' is saying most machines are just magic! They HAPPEN to work for hundreds of years and past tests by the most critical of minds.

Thats the difference between religion and science. Science is FULL of critical people with critical minds about EVERYTHING!. A theory in science means a body of work, NOT a wild guess like most non-educated and religious people think (over 90% of scientists are agnostic). The ONLY way a theory (body of work) can survive is to pass all possible tests. Tests which are designed to make it FAIL. And they still pass them for hundreds of years! If they fail, they are DESTROYED and this theory is no longer valid.

You can test Einsteins relativity theory through ALL possible ways and try your hardest to make it fail. Until today is has not and thousands of highly educated people have tried. And when it does fail--->no biggie, we accept what we have learned and add the new knowledge to the old one.

Religion is FULL of people with the least amount of criticism. NO experimentation, proof that would withstand childs questions let alone smart rational minds. A simple childs question of 'how did they build the boat dad to put ALL the worlds animals in it (2 of them) and how did they do it in such a short time? NO ANSWER to that has ever been given. No answer to ANY even childish question to anything that the biggest religious CLAIM as truth has EVER been given.

So why do religions and the believers expect to be taken any more seriously then someone believing in Spiderman? Spiderman must be real, I saw it in a book! Only through answering the hardest questions with PROOF can religion be taken seriously and be a part of modern world.

Religion DEPENDS and can only survive if rationale, critical thinking, trial-and-error and ANY kind of logical thinking is ABSOLUTELY ABSENT. Blind belief without any hint of questioning.
The kid didn't assume evolution wasn't a fact cause it wasn't observed, he simply used the professor's argument against him, the professor was the one that suggested anything that hasn't been observed cannot be a fact. He suggested that the kid can't claim God to be a fact cause he has never seen him. I think you should read it again.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2012, 07:34:28 PM »
Ha, Coach is so stupid.

"I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it. (Albert Einstein, 1954)"

"The idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I am unable to take seriously. (Albert Einstein, Letter to Hoffman and Dukas, 1946)"

Albert Einstein: arch rationalist or scientist with a spiritual core?

A letter being auctioned in London this week adds more fuel to the long-simmering debate about the Nobel Prize-winning (Einstein) physicist's religious views. In the note, written the year before his death, Einstein dismissed the idea of God as the product of human weakness and the Bible as "pretty childish."
X

Busted

• Getbig IV
  • PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MOWER
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2012, 07:36:08 PM »
Bet coach would be a epic fail on this, just like his normal life :)

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2012, 09:24:21 PM »
Atheists and agnostics, Jews and Mormons are among the highest-scoring groups in a 32-question survey of religious knowledge by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life. On average, Americans got 16 of the 32 questions correct. Atheists and agnostics got an average of 20.9 correct answers. Jews (20.5) and Mormons (20.3). Protestants got 16 correct answers on average, while Catholics got 14.7 questions right.

How will you do on the quiz?

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/0105/Are-you-smarter-than-an-atheist-A-religious-quiz/When-does-the-Jewish-Sabbath-begin

Got 24, I most closely identify with Judaism I guess.  (No Jew)

knowledge does not equal intelligence. intelligence is potential. knowledge is finite. whether or not a person knows information about religion, or any other topic or field of science that exists is not a determining factor in their potential to possess knowledge. this potential for knowledge exists independently of knowledge itself.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2012, 09:53:11 PM »
Ha, Coach is so stupid.

"I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it. (Albert Einstein, 1954)"

"The idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I am unable to take seriously. (Albert Einstein, Letter to Hoffman and Dukas, 1946)"

Albert Einstein: arch rationalist or scientist with a spiritual core?

A letter being auctioned in London this week adds more fuel to the long-simmering debate about the Nobel Prize-winning (Einstein) physicist's religious views. In the note, written the year before his death, Einstein dismissed the idea of God as the product of human weakness and the Bible as "pretty childish."

I don't care who said it....its about its content. Please refute it dummy.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2012, 10:09:12 PM »

haha backpeddling, you moron. You specifically pointed out that it was Einstein, in hopes that your argument would be strengthened because Einstein said it. Little did you know, Einstein thought your type of religion was childish  :D :D

hahaha, you just OWNED yourself. Do research before you go pointing out something.  :D :D
X

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2012, 10:14:49 PM »
haha backpeddling, you moron. You specifically pointed out that it was Einstein, in hopes that your argument would be strengthened because Einstein said it. Little did you know, Einstein thought your type of religion was childish  :D :D

hahaha, you just OWNED yourself. Do research before you go pointing out something.  :D :D

Refute its content. I would have posted it no matter who it was. How many times have you pm'd me reguarding my faith? You're the typical athiest to the enth degree.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2012, 10:22:54 PM »
Refute its content. I would have posted it no matter who it was. How many times have you pm'd me reguarding my faith? You're the typical athiest to the enth degree.

I will read the content in its entirety and will respond.

Well, I am just trying to understand your love for JC and/or God, yet youre hypocritical attitude on here. I know a few deeply religious people who act nothing like you and stick strongly to their faith. That means they follow the teachings of JC and the bible pretty closely. Whereas, you degrade people on here because of their race. Oh yeah, youre such a religious and pious person. You should practice what you preach on a daily basis.

X

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2012, 10:27:37 PM »
I will read the content in its entirety and will respond.

Well, I am just trying to understand your love for JC and/or God, yet youre hypocritical attitude on here. I know a few deeply religious people who act nothing like you and stick strongly to their faith. That means they follow the teachings of JC and the bible pretty closely. Whereas, you degrade people on here because of their race. Oh yeah, youre such a religious and pious person. You should practice what you preach on a daily basis.

I am sorry but what you believe in and your behaviour are two completely different things, you don't have to be a saint because you believe there is a God, now if you are trying to preach to people about God's news, now you a have point, you better be Mother Theresa, but simply believing in a divine power doesn't mean you have to walk on egg shells. JMO

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2012, 10:34:24 PM »
I am sorry but what you believe in and your behaviour are two completely different things, you don't have to be a saint because you believe there is a God, now if you are trying to preach to people about God's news, now you a have point, you better be Mother Theresa, but simply believing in a divine power doesn't mean you have to walk on egg shells. JMO

Believing loosely in God is one thing, but Coach appears to be a DEVOUT believer. So yes, if youre a devout believer you should make your behaviors in accordance with your beliefs. Your beliefs and your behavior, I would think in Gods eyes, are not separate.
X

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2012, 10:40:02 PM »
Believing loosely in God is one thing, but Coach appears to be a DEVOUT believer. So yes, if youre a devout believer you should make your behaviors in accordance with your beliefs. Your beliefs and your behavior, I would think in Gods eyes, are not separate.
If you are a devout believer, then yes you're right, your goals should be in accordance

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2012, 11:07:04 PM »
31/32

Mormonism tripped me up. Rest is simple.
Mormonism is a sick cult rooted in recent history.  The Mountain Meadows Massacre of 1857 was nothing more than Mormons (including Brigham Young) dressed up as Native Americans who planned to rob and kill men, women and children in emigrant wagon trains coming west which they did in this particular incident to the tune of 120 people.

Joseph Smith, the founder is even more nutty and a professional Mountebank.  Its amazing that there is a potential Presidential candidate that chooses to be associated with such nonsense.  His death is quite fascinating though as was his life of trickery, scams and Charlatanism.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2012, 02:21:54 AM »
Is that ALL that you have to say about what I wrote? How about some answers and opinions to what I said about science being critical and full of testing and religion is just about following words to the t and NEVER question or test them.
Well I am always up for debate, but just not in the mood right now, but I am sure we will have our time if you can keep things civilized, I will say this though, you certainly have some valid points.

Now at the end you suggested our way of thinking wasn't logical, which I feel could be a fair assessment, however there is absolutely nothing logical about the origins of any alternative scenario no matter how you slice it. See whatever you believe in, regardless of what it is, cannot explain where matter came from, cannot explain how time started or what was before time,.the origins of space, nothing rational about any explanation on these matters, the best scientist have been baffled for centuries on the concept of having a single moment as the beginning cause it is simply illogical to assume that everything spontaneously sprung into existence, now that is hocus pocus, Now tell me this, if the universe is expanding and contains within space, time and matter, what is the universe expanding into, to may avenews that can't be explained using rational thinking, there has to be an illogical answere to these concepts.

So I clearly understand how you guys can perceive how our faith in God can be weird but the limits of a human brain is not capable of knowing certain things, I doubt we will ever know from a scientific perspective the answere to the weirdest riddles in life. Until then I will have my faith and respect other people's beliefs. :)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2012, 06:40:01 AM »

Just a quick note...

Brains have been seen. In every normal human who has ever been autopsied they have found a human brain. There are human brains in jars. There is no dispute human brains exist because there is empirical evidence it does

This is mainly where the student jumps the track. A logical person can safely conclude the professor has a brain without having seen, touched etc the brain because of the overwhelming empirical evidence that it exists. And it is not asking you to take a leap of faith into the supernatural to do so.

Not so with a god

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2012, 08:59:19 AM »
Mormonism is a sick cult rooted in recent history.  The Mountain Meadows Massacre of 1857 was nothing more than Mormons (including Brigham Young) dressed up as Native Americans who planned to rob and kill men, women and children in emigrant wagon trains coming west which they did in this particular incident to the tune of 120 people.

Joseph Smith, the founder is even more nutty and a professional Mountebank.  Its amazing that there is a potential Presidential candidate that chooses to be associated with such nonsense.  His death is quite fascinating though as was his life of trickery, scams and Charlatanism.

All religions would appear as equally as ridiculous were they not shrouded in the mystery of time.

Of course, that's assuming that they are viewed with a practical mind, of which they are not.

G

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2012, 09:23:32 AM »
All religions would appear as equally as ridiculous were they not shrouded in the mystery of time.

Of course, that's assuming that they are viewed with a practical mind, of which they are not.

I know you're a teacher, is this what you "teach" your students? or do you teach both sides? if you do, I'm sure you're emphasizing the non-belief side of YOU like most liberal teachings in this country. And then you wonder why kids are so fucked up ::)  

"progressive movement" haha!

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2012, 09:40:26 AM »
I know you're a teacher, is this what you "teach" your students? or do you teach both sides? if you do, I'm sure you're emphasizing the non-belief side of YOU like most liberal teachings in this country. And then you wonder why kids are so fucked up ::)  

"progressive movement" haha!
I teach English to Chinese people in China.

They are almost all atheists.

Religion rarely comes up, but when it does, I tell them of the anti-intellectual bent of so many people like you.

We all have a good belly laugh.
G

Schmoff

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2012, 09:43:02 AM »
I teach English to Chinese people in China.

They are almost all atheists.

Religion rarely comes up, but when it does, I tell them of the anti-intellectual bent of so many people like you.

We all have a good belly laugh.

haha, good one

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
The founding fathers were progressives.

HTH.

G

Dr.Ill

• Getbig II
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2012, 10:51:35 AM »
What sides? There is only 1 side, the proven sides such as exact sciences. There is no other side. SHould be teach kids about Spiderman. He must be real, I saw it in a book and more importantly 'How do we know Spiderman IS NOT real'. Prove to me Spiderman IS NOT real and I will suspend my belief. Until then he is real and better then any God!

Kids being fucked up? Whats the connection with this and not teaching religion? With religion kids would be allright? How so?

And how has science proven there is no God, could you elaborate please?

howardroark

• Getbig IV
  • Resident Objectivist & Autodidact
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2012, 11:01:24 AM »
I got a 30/32... The only ones I missed were the start of the Jewish Sabbath and who led the so-called "First Great Awakening." I'm also an atheist.  8)

Dr.Ill

• Getbig II
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2012, 11:11:24 AM »
With us speaking of Einstein and saying Coach owned himself, well, let us use Einstein's formula to prove there is a God, shall we?  E=MC^2  , this formula was proven with the detonation of the atomic bomb, where my boy Einstein said matter is nothing more than energy bound together by more energy and one can mathematically prove the amount of energy in a given amount of mass.  With that is proven that matter or atoms can be destroyed BUT can NOT be created, hhmmm?  Therefore, Einstein himself has no answer other than a higher power creating matter?

However,  a common man wrote a scripture that may encompass this matter building object?

Heb 11:3 NIV says, “By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.”

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2012, 11:12:06 AM »
Someone slow this thread down...the intellects within it are absolutely dizzying.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2012, 11:17:04 AM »

Good grief, not this bullshit again... I've already refuted this in another thread on here - a thread that I am pretty sure you posted in before. Others have thoroughly refuted it as well. Why do you an your ilk insist on reusing the same refuted arguments - if the piece of drivel you posted can even be called an argument.

Not that you care to actually entertain such things, of course. You believe what you believe - blindly and without thinking - and no amount of logic will persuade you.

If you want to become a critical thinker and learn why the "argument" you posted isn't an argument. - and I grant that it's a big if because, as I said above, I don't think you care to learn or understand - then I would suggest thay you: (a) take a course in elementary logic (typically offered by the philosophy department in most Colleges and Universities) to find out about things like logical fallacies and things like logical consistency and (b) pick up the book "Atheism: The Case Againsy God" by George H. Smith.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2012, 11:38:58 AM »
And no wonder why people think Christians are stupid  ;D

lol Einstein proved God was real for you LMFAO epic backfire there coach