Author Topic: Are you smarter than an atheist? A religious quiz  (Read 12909 times)

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
R

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
Re: Are you smarter than an atheist? A religious quiz
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2012, 08:14:11 AM »
I ask him what science proves there is no God with this statement.

Before you ask anything about "God" you must provide a definition of the term. What does the term mean? What attributes does "God" possess?

Dr.Ill

• Getbig II
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2012, 09:41:41 AM »
Before you ask anything about "God" you must provide a definition of the term. What does the term mean? What attributes does "God" possess?

Whatever God he is dispelling, by saying "science" proved otherwise, just curious what "God" he is referring?  

With that, are you agnostic, atheist, what position to you hold?

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2012, 10:54:36 AM »
Whatever God he is dispelling, by saying "science" proved otherwise, just curious what "God" he is referring?  

With that, are you agnostic, atheist, what position to you hold?

Me personally? I'm an atheist.

Dr.Ill

• Getbig II
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2012, 11:09:54 AM »
Me personally? I'm an atheist.

I am surprised to see that?  I figured you to be agnostic.

With your willingness to educate yourself and always find the why and hows to your questions, I would suspect you to be that way with the beginning?

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2012, 12:06:30 PM »
I am surprised to see that?  I figured you to be agnostic.

With your willingness to educate yourself and always find the why and hows to your questions, I would suspect you to be that way with the beginning?

I'd be receptive to an argument that agnosticism is a more rational position, but so far I haven't heard anything compelling.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2012, 01:07:41 PM »
atheist replies a connection with religion, albeit a negative one. It puts believing in god as norm and therefore all others are non-believers.

Atheist implies someone doesn't believe that deities exists or that belief in deities is rational. Nothing more nothing less.

This also implies and in a way validates believing by putting it first and thus legitimising it further.

I don't follow? Saying that the concept of a deity is illogical and belief in a deity is irrational validates and legitimizes deities and beliefs in them? Really??

Agnostic is a pure standpoint of not being attached to any ruling view of God or supernatural. It does not even recognize it. There could be a god, there could be not. Until so far there is zero evidence so I am not swaying one way or the other-->agnostic

If it's true that there is zero evidence, it would only be because there are no consequences at all to the existence of this deity. Claiming that there is something thing that is neither provable nor disprovable implies that neither the claim nor the claims' negation has any detectable consequences. Or to put it simply the "claim" doesn't actually claim anything.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2012, 02:01:50 PM »
Atheist - originating from the Greek word Atheos , " A " meaning without and " theos " meaning theology or the study of God , Atheos = without God

Anything beyond that isn't really atheism , more like Christopher Hitchens said " anti-theism "

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2012, 02:18:10 PM »
You guys had me at Bosonic Particles  :-*

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
For Getbiggers, here is questions 33:  Name the Greek/Roman demi-god who was the strongest of the ancient mythological heros?  Bonus points if you can come up with the Greek spelling of his name.

Heracles

Give that man (and e-Kul) a gold star!  Though this should have been the picture posted:

Or maybe this one, if you have $20:

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2012, 07:39:32 PM »
For Getbiggers, here is questions 33:  Name the Greek/Roman demi-god who was the strongest of the ancient mythological heros?  Bonus points if you can come up with the Greek spelling of his name.

Give that man (and e-Kul) a gold star!  Though this should have been the picture posted:

Or maybe this one, if you have $20:

Now 34; Who was the Sumerian hero that slayed humbaba in the ceder forest, reigned out of walled Uruk, Not Greek but Akkadian mythology

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2012, 08:42:31 PM »
Now 34; Who was the Sumerian hero that slayed humbaba in the ceder forest, reigned out of walled Uruk, Not Greek but Akkadian mythology

Gilgamesh

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: April 18, 2012, 08:43:38 PM »
Gilgamesh

Technically, yes. But he only killed Humbabaafter Enkidu urged him to show no mercy.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #113 on: April 18, 2012, 08:46:37 PM »
Gilgamesh
Technically, yes. But he only killed Humbabaafter Enkidu urged him to show no mercy.
ha, yes, amazing story though

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2012, 10:26:32 AM »
Religions  ::) Give 10% each week for a big ass church wtf? Then they teach non-materialism.