Author Topic: UFC 145 - Jones V. Evans Preview  (Read 3040 times)

coltrane

• Getbig IV
UFC 145 - Jones V. Evans Preview
« on: April 16, 2012, 07:14:52 AM »
SO it's here.  Interesting fight.  

My take is that Rashad has all the tools to beat Jones.  He knows his weaknesses etc.  AND after reading all the hype etc, I do believe Rashad is in the head of Jones.  Rashad is really fast with his hands and movement, and could get inside and rattle Jones.

That being said, Jones will ultimately game plan for that situation and will try to keep Rashad away via reach.  Smart.  

Jones wins TKO later rounds.  I think at times Rashad gets Jones frustrated and off his game.  This, I believe is Jones' greatest test yet.  Could be an upset.

bigmc

• Getbig V
Re: Jones V. Evans
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 08:02:20 AM »
SO it's here.  Interesting fight. 

My take is that Rashad has all the tools to beat Jones.  He knows his weaknesses etc.  AND after reading all the hype etc, I do believe Rashad is in the head of Jones.  Rashad is really fast with his hands and movement, and could get inside and rattle Jones.

That being said, Jones will ultimately game plan for that situation and will try to keep Rashad away via reach.  Smart. 

Jones wins TKO later rounds.  I think at times Rashad gets Jones frustrated and off his game.  This, I believe is Jones' greatest test yet.  Could be an upset.

i think jones will knock rashad out second round adter a cagey first round
T

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 02:23:43 PM »
Rashad needs to be in close at all times.  He has the power to knock Jones out.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 06:19:59 AM »
rashad thinks cause he was getting the best of jones at jacksons camp that it will go the same in their fight, doesnt always work like that. even if jones ends up on his back rashad will have to stay tight or jones will sub him, jones by tko rd 4.
R

suckmymuscle

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 10:53:18 AM »
  The only hope for Rashad to win this fight is to be in Jones' face all the time and try to take him down all the time and win a decision by points. He won't be finishing Jones. He needs to be close to Jones at all times when standing and always shoot for the takedown. If Jones can use his reach, Rashad will get destroyed very easily. Neither have great KO power, although Rashad has an edge in this, but Jones' range and athleticism will make him demolish Rashad.

Rashad can outwrestle Jones in a close range fight and win by points, but this is his only chance. I don't see Jones being able to sprawl Rashad's takedowns all the time, and if Rashad keep pressuring, he can score a decision. I also don't think Jones can submit Rashad on the ground despite his guillotine choke of Machida. Jones' BJJ seems pretty basic, so taking it to the ground and putting Jones on his back is Rashad's only chance.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 11:14:39 AM »
I really think Jones will come outta this with some battle wounds.  I do see Rashad trying dirty boxing etc, then take downs.  I think he'll give Jones issues on the ground..

But, in the end, Jones wins. 

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 10:44:08 PM »
Jones by tko

Even if Rashad takes him down, hes not holding him down.

Jones is bigger, faster, stronger, more agile, is the superior wrestler, striker, grappler+ has an insane reach advantage.

This is a total mismatch on paper.

Throw in the grudge factor and Jones' wins over elite competition+ I dont see any conceivable way this doesnt end by brutal tko

suckmymuscle

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 12:24:04 AM »
Jones by tko

Even if Rashad takes him down, hes not holding him down.

Jones is bigger, faster, stronger, more agile, is the superior wrestler, striker, grappler+ has an insane reach advantage.

This is a total mismatch on paper.

Throw in the grudge factor and Jones' wins over elite competition+ I dont see any conceivable way this doesnt end by brutal tko

I don't agree with this part. Rashad is probably the most talented wrestler in the LHW division. A medium/average MMA fighter at the elite level, but an outstanding wrestler. He also has a good gas tank and is very explosive. I don't think Jones has an advantage in agility.

Rashad can win this fight if he remains on Jones' face the whole fight and scrambles a lot and take Jones down repeatedly and wins a decision by points. He ain't KOing or TKoing Jones and much less submitting him. I think we can agree that the odds of Rashad finishing Jones are close to zero.

I also think Jones' grappling is vastly overrated. Guillotine choking Machida doesen't mean shit when you are 6'5 and your opponent is several inches shorter. Jones would barely be a green belt under Carlson Gracie. Werdum, he is not.

I think we can both agree that Rashad is definitely the underdog in this fight, and that he will have to turn this into a clinching&wrestling match to win and that this is his only chance.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 03:36:11 AM »
jones got very underated jitz imo and has those long arms to boot, i know jones aint no nick diaz or penn off his back but i heard hes been workin off his back really hard prepping for this fight. i wouldnt be suprised if jones catches him with a darce or gater roll choke, jones style is very unorthadox and will frustrate evans and when that happens its naptime for rashad. every post above has very good points though and im anxious to watch this fight. on a side note  i hope my boy eddie alvarez bounces back and wins his bellator fight tonight against aoki
R

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 10:06:35 AM »
Jones for the TKO in 2 / 3, Rashad will not be 100% focused on this fight after this:

c/o MMAWeekly

Earlier this week, Cagepotato.com published article that joked about Dana White betting $500,000 on Jon Jones to beat Rashad Evans this weekend at UFC 145. Problem is, White and company at the UFC failed to see the humor due to multiple reasons.

The first reason being that it isn't really a laughing matter for the President of a fight promotion to be betting on his main event fight. Secondly, Rashad Evans threw a complete fit over the news according to Lorenzo Fertita who spoke to USA Today about it:

"We had a flurry of people contacting us through e-mail, Twitter ... Rashad throwing a complete fit ... and then Dana having to call him to calm him down. If (people) thought it was just satire, we wouldn't have had that reaction. Dana had to talk to Rashad on the phone for 30 minutes to calm him down, to tell him, 'Are you crazy? There's no way I would ever bet on a fight or bet against you.' It didn't read like a joke at all. If you look at the article, when you first read that, it sounds like that they were in a room with Dana, talking to him, and he says, 'Oh, and he kind of made a mistake and said something, and said 'Don't print that.' We're currently evaluating whether [their retraction] is sufficient or not. Like I said, there's been a massive amount of fallout in the wake of them putting out something that is completely reckless in the way that they did. I don't understand how anybody could defend what they did. It's a very serious allegation. You've got to understand, Rashad's entire team -- his entire camp -- was in his ear telling him they read this online and that Dana bet half a million dollars against him. This was a real issue. This isn't just some kind of slap on the back, funny little joke. This was reckless reporting on their part."

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 03:11:19 PM »
As much as i hope it'll be different i can see this being one that goes the distance. Jones prances about managing to keep Rashad at a distance with his Dhalsim limbs and as a consequence i'm bored to tears and disappointed that SOB has another title defence in his record.

I would LOVE to be proved wrong.

I'm not really excited by any of the fights on this card.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 08:13:34 PM »
  Rashad has to be on Jones' face the whole fight and turn this into a wrestling match. If he can do this, I do give him a good chance of winning.

If Jones can find his distance and impose his stand-up game, Rashad is fucked.

Rashad has to use his explosiveness in the first round and move in quickly for the takedown Brock Lesnar style.

Take Jones down or at least be close to him outside striking range all the time and keep trying to take him down to tire him and score points.

Rashad will then win a decision GSP-style.......

SUCKMYMUSCLE

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 03:08:04 AM »
Had a dream last night - alcohol fuelled no doubt - that Rashad wins by KO via head kick. If this comes off im starting a business as a medium  ;D

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 09:52:56 PM »
Honestly gained a lot of respect for Rashad. Showed guts-- and I actually thought he won 2 rounds. BY the middle part of round 2 I was rooting for him to win.

Thought Jones fought like a bitch and shouldve finished the fight 12 times.

Fucking greg jackson should be hung by his balls of the nearest 12 story building.

Rest of the card was crap-- Homminick must be watching greg jacksons fighters.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 06:40:31 AM »
Horrible fight, so much apprehension from both fighters to make an attempt to finish the fight. Not a fight i will watch again as this could be one of the most overhyped fights in title history.

Rory looked phenomenal however and i am delighted to see him in the frame for a title fight soon. Condit will be on the losing side should they meet again.