Author Topic: High Fructose Corn Syrup  (Read 6787 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
High Fructose Corn Syrup
« on: April 16, 2012, 12:27:23 PM »
Every time that Corn Refiners Assn. commercial comes on I want to scream at the TV.  I don't understand how they get away with those commercials.  The FDA warned them last year to change the wording on their false advertisements.

A spokesperson for the CFA was quoted as saying:
"We do not believe that anyone could be confused or believe that the statements regarding 'corn sugar'  refer to anything other than high fructose corn syrup," Erickson wrote.
:

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 01:30:27 PM »
Every time that Corn Refiners Assn. commercial comes on I want to scream at the TV.  I don't understand how they get away with those commercials.  The FDA warned them last year to change the wording on their false advertisements.

A spokesperson for the CFA was quoted as saying:
"We do not believe that anyone could be confused or believe that the statements regarding 'corn sugar'  refer to anything other than high fructose corn syrup," Erickson wrote.

Yes, when they say sugar is sugar, our body can't tell the diff.  Yes it is, but your commercial is not about sugar, it is about HFCS.  The bitch in that commerical needs a good headbutt.

The body may not  be able to tell a diff from taste but it sure does when it stores it as fat unstead of trying to metaboloize it as energy.

But have you read the new studies that HFCS is just not to blame for bad health but added sugar in general.  That cancer feeds on sugar and studies show much of the fat gain is just more and more sugar in people's diets and the addictive nature of it.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 02:08:29 PM »
This is a serious topic.
Perhaps this thread should be a sticky for a while.

chess315

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 09:54:51 PM »
I personally dont the hfcs is any worse then most sugars. Just that is made junk food cheaper the evidence just isnt clear as people think it is.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 07:25:19 AM »
Sugar is sugar. It's as bad for you as cigarettes.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 09:25:39 AM »
Sugar is sugar. It's as bad for you as cigarettes.

Yes, sugar is more terrible than many people know or think.
What also sucks is that HFCS is an ingredient in quite a few supposedly "healthy" foods: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sneaky-syrup/#axzz1sVJKBdnO

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 07:17:12 AM »
I personally dont the hfcs is any worse then most sugars. Just that is made junk food cheaper the evidence just isnt clear as people think it is.

Actually they are.  It is the processing of HFCS that turns it into something the body has trouble using for energy as it would normal sugar so the end result is the body stores it , can't use it and is stored as fat.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 03:42:31 AM »
Actually they are.  It is the processing of HFCS that turns it into something the body has trouble using for energy as it would normal sugar so the end result is the body stores it , can't use it and is stored as fat.

untrue.... fructose is fructose

Short attention span version:

The full story:

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 09:59:01 AM »
Yes, when they say sugar is sugar, our body can't tell the diff.  Yes it is, but your commercial is not about sugar, it is about HFCS.  The bitch in that commerical needs a good headbutt.

The body may not  be able to tell a diff from taste but it sure does when it stores it as fat unstead of trying to metaboloize it as energy.

But have you read the new studies that HFCS is just not to blame for bad health but added sugar in general.  That cancer feeds on sugar and studies show much of the fat gain is just more and more sugar in people's diets and the addictive nature of it.

wait are you saying our bodies can't tell the difference between different sugars? they can.

HFCS is the devil.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 12:08:01 PM »
wait are you saying our bodies can't tell the difference between different sugars? they can.

HFCS is the devil.

fructose is fructose...  whether it's sourced from sucrose or HFCS...

fructose is fructose

it's a fucking molecule

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 12:24:36 PM »
fructose is fructose...  whether it's sourced from sucrose or HFCS...

fructose is fructose

it's a fucking molecule

You seem to have misread my post somehow.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 01:58:47 PM »
You seem to have misread my post somehow.

unless you are labeling "glucose" as sugar I am not sure what I misread

please explain which sugar your body can differentiate from HFCS

the only wild card is ethanol which interacts like sugar but lightly differently (the impact to leptin response is really interesting IMO)

mik1111

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 03:25:05 PM »
HFCS is used in lab rats to induce diabetes.... enough said I think... ::)

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 03:30:52 PM »

the only wild card is ethanol which interacts like sugar but lightly differently (the impact to leptin response is really interesting IMO)

well sugar is a non-scientific term for carbs really, both mono and disaccharides. Glucose behaves much differently then fructose so there goes your theory right away, they even have different transporters. Galactose behaves differently as well.  I assumed you knew this, perhaps it's the term sugar. You also seem to think that HFCS is fructose only which again is false, so it does certainly behave differently mg per mg of fructose. Fructose is fructose is fructose though but HFCS is not just fructose. Sugar alcohols certainly behave differently, and again have unique effects related to them.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 04:46:30 PM »
well sugar is a non-scientific term for carbs really, both mono and disaccharides. Glucose behaves much differently then fructose so there goes your theory right away, they even have different transporters. Galactose behaves differently as well.  I assumed you knew this, perhaps it's the term sugar. You also seem to think that HFCS is fructose only which again is false, so it does certainly behave differently mg per mg of fructose. Fructose is fructose is fructose though but HFCS is not just fructose. Sugar alcohols certainly behave differently, and again have unique effects related to them.

please highlight a section of my posts where i said "HFCS is fructose only"...  HFCS is HFCS

ethanol is only different from simple sugars that are primarily converted to fructose in that it is toxic to the brain

Sugar is not a term for carbs... sugar is a type of carbohydrate (like fiber)

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 07:16:15 PM »
please highlight a section of my posts where i said "HFCS is fructose only"...  HFCS is HFCS

ethanol is only different from simple sugars that are primarily converted to fructose in that it is toxic to the brain

Sugar is not a term for carbs... sugar is a type of carbohydrate (like fiber)

you said HFCS is the same as fructose, false. I have no idea what the second sentence means, converted to fructose.

Ok let me be more specific, sugar is a term for mono and disaccharides that are sweet, fiber is not digestable hence it's effects on digestion and glycemic index. Sugar is an unspecific term and isn't used in any meaningful way in academia. Fructose and glucose behave very different in the body so no, HFCS will not behave like fructose as it contains amounts of both. They replenish glycogen in completely different areas and have different glut transporters.

you said

"Sugar is sugar. It's as bad for you as cigarettes. "

no it is not, sugar is sweet carbohydrates, many which have different effects on the body. It include both mono and dissacharrides. You are being way to general here. Glucose has many positive effects on the body so no it's not as bad as cigarettes, in fact it's pretty much essential unless you want to live in a state of ketosis.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 07:23:51 PM »
you said HFCS is the same as fructose, false. I have no idea what the second sentence means, converted to fructose.

Ok let me be more specific, sugar is a term for mono and disaccharides that are sweet, fiber is not digestable hence it's effects on digestion and glycemic index. Sugar is an unspecific term and isn't used in any meaningful way in academia. Fructose and glucose behave very different in the body so no, HFCS will not behave like fructose as it contains amounts of both. They replenish glycogen in completely different areas and have different glut transporters.

you said

no it is not, sugar is sweet carbohydrates, many which have different effects on the body. It include both mono and dissacharrides. You are being way to general here. Glucose has many positive effects on the body so no it's not as bad as cigarettes, in fact it's pretty much essential unless you want to live in a state of ketosis.

seriously

sugar is bad

not arguing the point with you as you are also being completely non-scientific and general...

because we're not scientists

we're two half drunk guys on a web-board

well.. i'm drunk

you're probably sober

that means we average out at half drunk

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 03:05:09 AM »

seriously

sugar is bad

not arguing the point with you as you are also being completely non-scientific and general...

because we're not scientists

we're two half drunk guys on a web-board

well.. i'm drunk

you're probably sober

that means we average out at half drunk

lol, ok.

Fallsview

• Getbig V
  • Mr. Gulf Coast 1994,95,99
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 08:19:13 AM »

you said

So this sugar doesn't have the same outcome in the body? It doesn't raise insulin levels...?

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 12:13:06 PM »
So this sugar doesn't have the same outcome in the body? It doesn't raise insulin levels...?

right, fructose and glucose behave differently in the body.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 05:06:22 PM »

both raise insulin... but differently and to different extents

Fallsview

• Getbig V
  • Mr. Gulf Coast 1994,95,99
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 08:20:33 AM »

Glucose doesn't raise insulin levels?  So why do these diabetics carry those glucose pills around.....?

I also thought that Fructose was one of the worse forms of sugar out there...?

Didn't say it didn't, clearly glucose raises insulin

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 08:35:44 AM »
Glucose doesn't raise insulin levels?  So why do these diabetics carry those glucose pills around.....?

I also thought that Fructose was one of the worse forms of sugar out there...?

Glucose does.  Fructose doesn't (processed in the liver).  HFCS not the same thing. 
:

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 02:04:42 PM »
both raise insulin... but differently and to different extents

wrong, what are you smoking, you have been wrong in every post in this thread. Fructose does not mediate insulin secretion, sucrose does but if you believe that to be evidence you are missing a key point.

fructose has an effect on circulating glucose but again, it's a totally different mechanism. The point you made about leptin is directly related to it's non insuligenic effect.

Dietary Fructose Reduces Circulating Insulin and Leptin, Attenuates Postprandial Suppression of Ghrelin, and Increases Triglycerides in Women
Karen L. Teff, Sharon S. Elliott, Matthias Tschöp, Timothy J. Kieffer, Daniel Rader, Mark Heiman, Raymond R. Townsend, Nancy L. Keim, David D’Alessio and Peter J. Havel

"However, not all types of dietary carbohydrate are likely to have the same effect on these signals of peripheral energy status. Fructose, unlike glucose, does not stimulate insulin secretion from pancreatic β-cells (7). In rhesus monkeys, an 8-h iv fructose infusion resulted in markedly reduced insulin secretion and did not increase circulating leptin concentrations compared with infusion of the same amount of glucose, which increased plasma leptin levels by more than 50% above baseline fasting levels (8). Thus, similar to fat, fructose does not increase insulin-mediated glucose metabolism or circulating leptin levels. Even a relative deficit in leptin production has been shown to be associated with increased body adiposity in humans (9). In addition, it has recently been reported that an augmentation of the proportional amplitude (nadir to peak) of the 24-h diurnal pattern of circulating leptin concentrations was predictive of the extent of weight and body fat loss during a 12-wk ad libitum low-fat diet (15% of energy) (10). Therefore, it is important to determine the effects of dietary fructose on meal-associated insulin secretion and the diurnal pattern of leptin production in humans. This is particularly relevant in light of the fact that per capita fructose consumption has increased during the past three decades (11) within the same time frame as a marked increase in the prevalence of obesity (12, 13)."

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 02:05:11 PM »

galactose