Author Topic: Haha! Democrat-controlled senate votes down Buffet rule  (Read 977 times)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Haha! Democrat-controlled senate votes down Buffet rule
« on: April 16, 2012, 06:44:23 PM »
Senate Blocks Buffett Rule

The Senate rejected the so-called Buffett Rule on Monday evening. Fifty-one senators voted in favor the tax increase on high-income owners, officially called the Paying A Fair Share Act, while 45 voted against it. But the Buffett Rule failed to get the necessary 60 votes to invoke cloture and end debate on the bill, effectively killing the rule's chances of passing the Senate.

Only one Republican, Susan Collins of Maine, voted in favor of the Buffett Rule, while Mark Pryor of Arkansas was the only Democrat to join the Republicans in voting against it. Four senators did not vote. The Buffett Rule would have set the minimum tax rate for those making more than $1 million in annual income at 30 percent.

President Barack Obama has been pushing for the rule for several months, naming it after investor Warren Buffett, an ally of the president who Obama claims pays taxes at a lower rate than his secretary. This afternoon, the White House announced its formal support for the bill, arguing that it "will ensure that the Nation's wealthiest people are not able to use tax preferences and shelters to reduce their tax rate below what middle class families pay."

A report from Bloomberg late last week, however, found that some experts believe that under the rule, those making over $1 million would still be able to find ways to avoid paying additional taxes.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/senate-blocks-buffett-rule_637103.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The Usurper can't do anything. And people actually think he should get another 4 years.  ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Haha! Democrat-controlled senate votes down Buffet rule
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 06:54:15 PM »
23 speeches and days wasted on total bullshit.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 07:11:59 PM »
You guys think this is a failure, but its not.
Just more ammo for Obama's war on Congress, now he can go out and parade the whole "Congress is stopping me from fixing America" campaign.

Im willing to bet youre going to hear something like this now -

"I tried to make those evil rich pay their fair share, but the Republicans in Congress' blocked it! See little guy, I tried to help you by making the rich pay more but the Republicans only care about the top 1% and they wont let me do anything to help you! Cmon America, we just need to vote all the republicans out of Congress, and with another 4 years and a Demo congress, I can fix America just like I promised in 08!"

Of course he's going to convientley ignore WHY so many Dems' were thrown out of Congress, and 'forget' to mention what it was like when he had congress in his pocket. lol.

Mark my words, its coming.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 07:34:50 PM »
Just more ammo for Obama's war on Congress, now he can go out and parade the whole "Congress is stopping me from fixing America" campaign.

"I tried to make those evil rich pay their fair share, but the Republicans in Congress' blocked it! See little guy, I tried to help you by making the rich pay more but the Republicans only care about the top 1% and they wont let me do anything to help you! Cmon America, we just need to vote all the republicans out of Congress, and with another 4 years and a Demo congress, I can fix America just like I promised in 08!"

Of course he's going to convientley ignore WHY so many Dems' were thrown out of Congress, and 'forget' to mention what it was like when he had congress in his pocket. lol.

agreed, but it wont work for congress.

It may help in the general election but in congressional elections this will only serve to hand him his ass again.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 02:50:50 AM »

The Senate rejected the so-called Buffett Rule on Monday evening. Fifty-one senators voted in favor the tax increase on high-income owners, officially called the Paying A Fair Share Act, while 45 voted against it. But the Buffett Rule failed to get the necessary 60 votes to invoke cloture and end debate on the bill, effectively killing the rule's chances of passing the Senate.

Only one Republican, Susan Collins of Maine, voted in favor of the Buffett Rule, while Mark Pryor of Arkansas was the only Democrat to join the Republicans in voting against it. Four senators did not vote. The Buffett Rule would have set the minimum tax rate for those making more than $1 million in annual income at 30 percent.

President Barack Obama has been pushing for the rule for several months, naming it after investor Warren Buffett, an ally of the president who Obama claims pays taxes at a lower rate than his secretary. This afternoon, the White House announced its formal support for the bill, arguing that it "will ensure that the Nation's wealthiest people are not able to use tax preferences and shelters to reduce their tax rate below what middle class families pay."

A report from Bloomberg late last week, however, found that some experts believe that under the rule, those making over $1 million would still be able to find ways to avoid paying additional taxes.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/senate-blocks-buffett-rule_637103.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The Usurper can't do anything. And people actually think he should get another 4 years.  ::)

A damn shame :(

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 05:24:19 AM »

that's right it's a win win for obama,why do you think it came out now.this is playing politics at it's best

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 05:31:30 AM »
that's right it's a win win for obama,why do you think it came out now.this is playing politics at it's best

And a lose for the nation since this ghetto pofs knew it never had a chance in the first place and wasted a month on this garbage. 

Real leadership right there.   ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 05:47:12 AM »
nothing is a sure thing in politics,but it was a win win for obama.this will be played against the repubs.sorry if you can't see it  ;D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 05:51:06 AM »
nothing is a sure thing in politics,but it was a win win for obama.this will be played against the repubs.sorry if you can't see it  ;D

LOL  - and that is why obama is going home in november. 

Its all games, pandering, campaigning 24/7, etc him. 

He is not a leader, he is a divisive communist demon looking only out for his narrow selifsh interest of him and his fat thug of wife to loot the nation and grift tax dollars for four more years. 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 06:13:01 AM »
nothing is a sure thing in politics,but it was a win win for obama.this will be played against the repubs.sorry if you can't see it  ;D

Oh no, whatever will they do? Americans have more important things to worry about, like Obama causing oil to spike over $5 with his asinine comments yesterday and the U.S. economy AGAIN slowing down. Where were you on that March jobs report thread, by the way?

It's good that you seem to be on board with the Usurper wasting nearly a month on a bound-to-fail bill that will only bring in $30 billion. LOL. FOUR MORE YEARS!

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 06:28:28 AM »

It was a party line vote and they needed 4 Republicans to vote for it.  It can actually end of backfiring against the GOP in the elections
A

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 06:33:26 AM »
LOL at Vince!  All it shows is how ineffective obama is.   

Vince here is a hint - if fauxbama actually wanted something done he would have had meetings w boehner, mconnell, reid, etc in his office to see what was possible and craft something everyone knew could pass - then go out and sell it.  that is called leadership. 

What slumdog POTUS does is give angry idiotic speeches demanding shit everyone knows is going nowhere and them complains when it goes down in flames.  That is what a child does.  And that is what fauxbama is - a petulant little man child.     

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 07:26:04 AM »
Democrats punt on Senate budget bill for 3rd year

By Stephen Dinan

The Washington Times

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

“I know this is sort of geeky stuff, but the hard reality is that the amount of time it takes to put together these plans is really daunting. This takes weeks and weeks and months and months of effort, and that’s why I think it’s important to begin.” - Budget Committee Chairman Kent Conrad, North Dakota

In a stunning backtrack that virtually guarantees Congress for the third year will be unable to produce a budget, Senate Democrats' top budget writer Tuesday canceled this week's expected votes on a 2013 fiscal blueprint.

Instead, Budget Committee Chairman Kent Conrad, North Dakota Democrat, said he will use the next few months to try to breathe life into the shelved 2-year-old Bowles-Simpson deficit commission proposal.

Mr. Conrad said he wasn't able to get enough Democrats to back a fiscal 2013 budget, much less reach a bipartisan agreement, and that he decided instead to try to kick-start a longer-term debate.

"This is the wrong time to vote in the committee. This is the wrong time to vote on the floor," Mr. Conrad told reporters as he announced his strategy. "We do need to try to maximize the chance as we get closer to all the tax cuts expiring and the sequester being imposed that we're ready to act."

He said he will still convene the Budget Committee this week and introduce his plan, but won't hold any votes or debate any amendments.

His move stunned Senate Republicans, who had been preparing amendments for Wednesday and Thursday.

"It's hard to negotiate with somebody who won't tell you where they are," said Sen. Jeff Sessions, the ranking Republican on the Budget Committee, who said Mr. Conrad was breaking a promise he made to debate and vote on a budget.

Hanging over the discussion is Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat, who had steadfastly said he would not bring a budget to the floor this year — and who, Republicans said, pressured Mr. Conrad into complying.

On Tuesday, Mr. Reid declined to answer specific questions about his strategy but told reporters he had "nothing but confidence for Kent Conrad."

Given the opposition, Mr. Conrad instead decided to try to revive the Bowles-Simpson plan, named after former White House Chief of Staff Erskine Bowles and former Sen. Alan Simpson, who led a commission that produced a plan for raising taxes and limiting spending — all designed to reduce long-term deficits.

Though President Obama established the Bowles-Simpson commission, he rejected its December 2010 proposal, and Democrats who controlled Congress at the time did not bring up it up for a vote.

But it has simmered in the background, with lawmakers occasionally saying it should serve as a basis for negotiations — only to see both Democratic and Republican leaders block their efforts.

Mr. Conrad, a member of the commission, said the plan needs to be updated, but that his version will lower the debt to 93 percent of gross domestic product by 2022 — it is more than 100 percent now — and would push for changes in Social Security, while preserving Mr. Obama's health care law.

Under Mr. Conrad's plan, spending would be nearly 22 percent of GDP in 2022 and taxes would be 20.5 percent. Both numbers are well above the average for the past six decades, but the North Dakota Democrat said those are the levels needed to fund the government's promises.

In 2012, spending will account for about 24 percent of GDP and taxes will total about 16 percent.

He said starting the debate now on Bowles-Simpson could set the table for a deal at the end of this year, when the federal government's fiscal picture reaches a crisis point. That's when the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts are due to expire, and when automatic spending cuts imposed after last year's debt deal are scheduled to bite.

"I know this is sort of geeky stuff, but the hard reality is that the amount of time it takes to put together these plans is really daunting," Mr. Conrad said. "This takes weeks and weeks and months and months of effort, and that's why I think it's important to begin."

His change in direction earned encouraging words from Mr. Bowles and Mr. Simpson, who said it marked an advance in the fiscal debate.

The Bowles-Simpson framework has earned a sort of cult status among budget watchdog groups for its bipartisan approach and for seeking both tax increases and some limits to the growth of spending.

But it has not fared well on Capitol Hill. Last month a bipartisan group in the House offered a version of the plan during the budget debate, but it was defeated by a 382-38 vote.

Congress is about to go its third year without passing a budget. During that time debt has ballooned and the government is poised to run its fourth year of trillion-dollar deficits.

Senate Democrats say a budget isn't needed because last year's debt deal already set maximum discretionary spending numbers.

Still, those numbers don't replace the broader budget document that sets goals for entitlement programs, taxes and discretionary spending for the next decade.

House Republicans last month pushed their budget plan through their chamber on a 228-191 vote.

Without a companion bill from the Senate, however, there is no chance to negotiate a final agreement. So on Tuesday, House Republicans passed a resolution that orders the chamber's annual spending bills be written to comply with the House budget.

The Senate is working off of a higher top-line spending number based on last year's debt deal negotiations, meaning the two chambers are writing the 12 annual spending bills at different levels, making it tougher to reconcile them at the end of the year.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 08:06:28 PM »
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2873911/posts

Insane.    These thugs need to go.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 09:33:50 PM »
LOL at Vince!  All it shows is how ineffective obama is.   

Vince here is a hint - if fauxbama actually wanted something done he would have had meetings w boehner, mconnell, reid, etc in his office to see what was possible and craft something everyone knew could pass - then go out and sell it.  that is called leadership. 

What slumdog POTUS does is give angry idiotic speeches demanding shit everyone knows is going nowhere and them complains when it goes down in flames.  That is what a child does.  And that is what fauxbama is - a petulant little man child.     

Here's a hint....in election season, people vote along party lines.  That bill was DOA before the vote was ever taken and it was done intentionally to make the GOP look like they are protecting big corporation's riches....this shit isn't anything new
A

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 04:03:30 AM »

Here's a hint....in election season, people vote along party lines.  That bill was DOA before the vote was ever taken and it was done intentionally to make the GOP look like they are protecting big corporation's riches....this shit isn't anything new

this is brand new ,it's unheard of ,never been seen before ;D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 04:19:20 AM »
 :). Failed leadership.