Author Topic: Anorexic Men - it does happen  (Read 12144 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Anorexic Men - it does happen
« on: April 18, 2012, 11:00:32 AM »
Starved for normality
Bryan Bixler suffers from anorexia nervosa, an eating disorder that causes him to deprive himself of enough food. He wants to get well, but the treatment Medi-Cal will cover falls short.
By Dana Parsons

Bryan Bixler is dying.

He feels it in his bones a little more each day, as if passing the mirror in his Laguna Beach apartment and glancing at himself isn't evidence enough. Here's what greets him: sunken eyes, paper-thin arms and legs that hang like a puppet's, the slow-motion gait that he fears will define his movements for the rest of his days. What happened, he wonders, to that young man who once ran half-marathons?

It's all so crazy. That's what he tells himself. Dying a bit more every day and knowing how to fix it but being unable to do it. Knowing that if he would just start eating like a normal person, he'd give himself a fighting chance.

But he's not a normal person, not anymore. Not at 5 feet 9 and 82 pounds. Not when he's got a master's degree and knows how the body works and yet can't make himself fix spaghetti or drink a chocolate malt.

Bixler is 39 and anorexic, suffering from an eating disorder traditionally associated with young women but which generally has been thought to include a 5% to 10% male component. In recent years, however, some researchers suggest that figure may be approaching 15%.

He doesn't remember a day or week or month that he turned the corner and inexorably headed down the path to anorexia nervosa, but he and family members think it was a slow-moving journey that started in his teens. He remembers those years as a time when his parents went through a difficult divorce and he was simultaneously caught up in the fitness craze and bent on avoiding junk food.

"I was Mr. Healthy," he says. "I was a vegetarian, I wanted to be a runner. Before I knew it, I lost weight without realizing it."

As he moved through his 20s, the disorder plunged him into what he calls "the vortex," a swirling downward spiral of weight loss and a deepening inability to reverse course.

But if there was a time back then when Bixler either denied he was anorexic or thought people were overreacting to his looks, those days are gone. "I see when I look in a mirror a walking caricature of a human being," he says. "A skeleton."

But what's different now than, say, even a year or so ago is a new resoluteness. The most primal cause of all.

"I want to live," he says.

To do that, he believes, he needs intensive coordinated treatment at an eating disorder center. Bixler's Medi-Cal insurance would pay for medical help and psychiatric or psychological treatment -- through care providers Kaiser Permanente and the Orange County Health Care Agency -- but not for long-term coordinated treatment at an eating disorder clinic.

The gap between what he needs and what his insurance will cover has been played out around the country. Many insurance companies increasingly have questioned the need for long-term residential treatment programs and balked at paying the high costs for them.

Seven years ago, with his parents footing the bill, Bixler spent several months at a treatment center in Wisconsin. Even though his weight climbed from 92 pounds to 120, he considered it a prison. When his parents' money ran out, he left and immediately relapsed.

Last fall, Bixler returned to the Wisconsin center but stayed only six days. Assigned to a psychiatric unit, he refused treatment, and his parents told him they could no longer afford the bill.

Since then, Bixler insists, he's seen the light and would stay in a long-term treatment program as long as it took. The only other option, he says, is death. "Obviously, my way is not working."

Neither is the limited psychological or psychiatric care he can get through Medi-Cal, says Terry Schwartz, medical director at an eating disorders program at UC San Diego. She supervised a recent psychiatric exam of Bixler, which he requested in the hope that it would bolster a claim he's made with the state for increased Medi-Cal coverage. The claim is pending.

Bixler isn't at an acute stage, Schwartz says, but his laboratory results and weight put him at "high risk" of dying from anorexia. American Psychiatric Assn. guidelines alone, she says, put him in the category of someone who needs either inpatient or residential care.

What he needs is a coordinated program that would run the gamut of medical, psychological, psychiatric, nutritional and dietary treatment. Bixler would be most vulnerable, she says, to sudden cardiac death or an inability to fight off an infection because of his depleted white blood cell count.

While convinced it's nowhere near what he needs, Bixler still avails himself of the counseling services offered through the county and Medi-Cal. If nothing else, he reasons, it'll perhaps send a signal that he's trying to play ball.

On his more charitable days, Bixler tries to avoid recriminations.

"I'm not blaming anybody," he says, "not Kaiser, not the county. I try not to blame myself, because of course I feel like I caused it. For me, it's the anger, the sadness that a life doesn't mean anything unless you have money."

In his 20s, before he fully grasped what was happening to him, Bixler saw a future for himself. With degrees from UC San Diego and the University of Georgia, Bixler wanted to work in the education department of zoos or aquariums. Instead, the eating disorder overtook him, and after short stints at two zoos and teaching while a graduate student, he went on full-time disability nine years ago.

He subsists on Social Security and lives in a studio apartment with a view of the Pacific Ocean, the beneficiary of cheap rent because his parents own the building.

He typically sleeps until late morning and stays up late. His sister, Kimberly Leeds, thinks that's so he can avoid normal social contacts and justify living his life mostly in the night.

She's the one who pulled his shirt over his head about 15 years ago and made him look at his rib cage. "Look at yourself," she said. "How can you think you're OK?"

Even though she understands the disorder, her brother's eating habits both cause her to marvel and madden her.

"He will not eat any dairy, but he eats frozen yogurt all the time," she says. "He won't eat certain lettuce because it gets caught in his teeth, but he will eat iceberg lettuce. He'll eat popcorn all night long but won't eat roast beef because it sticks in his teeth."

If they go out to eat, she says, "He can't order something off the menu. There are about five or six statements that have to go along with it." Forget rice or beans, if that comes with the entree. He has to have shredded lettuce and cilantro on the side. He will eat vegetables and protein foods, but carbohydrates are a non-starter, she says.

Leeds may be frustrated, but she hasn't given up on her brother. To the contrary, she's joined him in his fight to get more extensive care.

Their parents, she says, have been dealing with the situation for half of Bryan's life and it is wearying.

"Mother feels like she's done everything. She's mentally, physically and emotionally exhausted," Leeds says. "Her life has been dedicated to him for the last 20 years."

All of which Bixler knows and which makes him sigh.

His father tells him he's not trying hard enough. What's so hard about fixing a bowl of oatmeal and eating it? They have shelled out the money before and might again, but the failing economy has hurt their finances.

"They blame me, their blame reinforces my own self-blame," he says. "I'm my own worst critic. I look in the mirror at night, saying I'm insane. What's wrong with me?"

He knows the answer, of course: a disorder with numerous dark corners that enveloped and then overwhelmed him.

"I can't understand why I can't do what a 6-year-old can do -- feed myself."

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
Re: Anorexic men
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 11:21:41 AM »
The strong will survive and the weak shall die.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 11:22:25 AM »
JNN was a good poster.

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 11:29:34 AM »
i'd rather be bulimic ! at least you get to stuff yer fucking face before vomiting it back up  :P

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 12:25:43 PM »
The strong will survive and the weak shall die.

"The weak, will perish!"

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 12:28:36 PM »

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 12:41:34 PM »
dedication to a role right there

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 12:50:19 PM »
dedication to a role right there

Oscars favor extreme weight loss or gain - but is it acting?
By Sarah Kaufman, Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, February 25, 2011; 1:39 PM

In "The Fighter," Christian Bale is as thin and wan as the smoke from his character's crack pipe. But radical weight loss is nothing new for the Oscar nominee - he shrank his 6-foot frame to an emaciated 121 pounds to star in the 2004 film "The Machinist."

Going gaunt isn't only for hard-core method actors. To attain a ballerina's boniness in "Black Swan," the petite Natalie Portman reportedly dropped 20 pounds - and also earned an Oscar nom.

Stars who starve always get attention in movie acting and are also a good bet for Oscar notice. To play concentration-camp victims, both Adrien Brody (in "The Pianist") and Meryl Streep (in "Sophie's Choice") drastically lost weight - and gained Oscars. But if starvation has become its own acting technique, so has fattening up. Think of Robert De Niro's Oscar-winning bloat in "Raging Bull," Charlize Theron's Oscar-winning stoutness in "Monster" and Renee Zellweger's Oscar-nominated curves in "Bridget Jones's Diary."

On the face of it, extreme physical transformation seems to underscore an actor's seriousness, and the backstory of cheeseburger-overload or puritanical self-deprivation helps sell the movie. When Portman was doing the publicity circuit for "Black Swan," interviews centered on the severity of her weight-loss regime and workouts. "You don't drink. You don't go out with your friends. You don't have much food," Portman told Australia's Sunday Telegraph magazine. "You're constantly putting your body through extreme pain and you really understand the self-flagellation of a ballet dancer."

But does slimming down or beefing up have artistic merit? Does it contribute to great acting?

Some observers decry the practice and see the Academy Award attention that an actor's appearance gets as part of a misguided benediction of movie stars who de-glamorize in pursuit of their art.

"Oscars have often gone to people who do something to themselves," says film historian and Wesleyan University professor Jeanine Basinger. "But the idea that gaining or losing weight has anything to do with acting is, to me, utterly insane."

Author and film critic Molly Haskell agrees. "Since time immemorial, the Oscars worship this kind of self-transforming, where you become someone almost unrecognizable," she says. "Acting is supposed to be about using the imagination, creating a character with your imagination, but you get stuck in the visual of it, and how brave it is for this beautiful woman to make herself ugly. It's a kind of vulgar idea of what acting is."

Haskell equates Bale's seesawing weight (after "The Machinist," he packed on 100 pounds for "Batman Begins") to a stunt. "He must just like to do this," she says. "I like him in 'The Fighter.' I think it's an interesting performance - over the top, but interesting. But I don't think he needed to do the weight-loss to do it."

Yet slimming down to play drug-addicted ex-boxer Dicky Eklund must have seemed like second nature to Bale. His sinewy look in "The Machinist" gained considerable attention; the Los Angeles Times praised his "assuredly disturbing effect." But it came as a surprise to Brad Anderson, who directed the dark psychological thriller about a factory worker consumed by guilt. The script described the title figure as "a walking skeleton," says Anderson in a recent interview, but when the frail Bale showed up on the set, his appearance stunned the cast and crew.

"I wouldn't have had the guts to say, 'You gotta lose 60 pounds,' " says Anderson. "But once we saw how he looked, we said, 'Let's make it worth his while. We don't want him to have suffered through this for nothing.' "

Anderson worked in more shots than he had planned of Bale undressed, looking more dead than alive and offering corporal evidence to the madness gnawing at his character. Those on the set were careful not to eat in front of him, though Bale mostly kept to himself to save his energy. (They were filming in Barcelona, which had the added benefit of tapas bars and their tiny portions, says Anderson.) But one of Bale's scenes especially worried the director: It was shot in the city's underground sewer system.

"It was the middle of August, and he's so exhausted 'cause of how he's not been eating. And now he's in this toxic environment, running through tunnels," says Anderson. "We had to cut a few times, let him go up to the surface to get fresh air, 'cause he looked like he was about to pass out."

Anderson said that the physical deprivation "allowed [Bale] to get into the head of that character. . . . Some might say, 'Well, you can act it.' But Christian is one of those actors who likes to become the role."

Becoming the role in that way wasn't always possible. One reason actors can undertake serious weight changes now is that the more fortunate among them can be choosy about their movies. In the old days of the Hollywood studio system, it wasn't possible to spend months gorging on cheesecake for just one part. Stars were tied to multiyear contracts, and typically churned out whatever films their studio put before them - relying purely on acting skills to bring their characters to life.

"I think with great acting you can convey a lot," says Haskell, author of "Frankly, My Dear: 'Gone With the Wind' Revisited." "A beautiful woman can convey being plain; Olivia de Havilland did that all the time." She points to her convincing portrayal of a homely loner in "The Heiress," for which the famed beauty won an Oscar.

And the reverse is also true, says Haskell. "Bette Davis can make you think she was beautiful even when she wasn't."

Women attract special attention for going to great lengths for movie roles, especially if they fatten up, such as Theron and Zellweger. This seems more horrible to our diet-obsessed culture than being paid to do the opposite. But some roles defy any sort of bodily re-sculpting, no matter how drastic. An actor who downs protein shakes and works hard in the gym can emerge with a plausible boxer's physique (see De Niro, "Rocky's" Sylvester Stallone and Mark Wahlberg of "The Fighter"). But no amount of weight loss, nor anything less than years of nonstop training, can turn an actress into a ballerina. This is a chief drawback to Portman's performance, though undoubtedly her impressive scrawniness distracted fans from that fact.

"The key word here, especially where women are concerned, is 'brave,' " says Haskell. As in, making themselves ugly by some punishing physical alteration: gasp-worthy skinniness or fleshiness, or wearing a prosthetic. (Take Nicole Kidman's much-debated false nose in "The Hours," for the role that, by the way, won her an Oscar.)

But instead of taking great pains to subvert our notions of glamour, what about actresses who simply allow themselves to be seen as they are - especially if they are middle-aged, bespectacled and wrinkly, as Annette Bening looked in "The Kids Are All Right"?

"I did think Annette Bening was brave in being so unadorned; she seemed very real and authentic, and it was an organic part of the part," says Haskell. "But that's not the kind of bravery the Academy rewards."

Tonight, Bening's nuanced and believable lesbian mother is up against Portman's much-hyped wraith for the Best Actress prize. Going by precedent, Bening would surely have the Oscar sewn up if only she had played a fat lesbian mother . . .

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 12:53:27 PM »

Cashfan

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 01:12:26 PM »
He got peeled, now its time to up the dose and do some damage in the 45 kilo and under category!

The RedMeatKid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 01:35:59 PM »
(

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 01:48:51 PM »

He's going for the health look

MikMaq

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 01:56:18 PM »
Gayer than a credit conscious  musclebear kneegrow from san fransisco.

Nails

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 02:20:46 PM »

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 02:22:28 PM »
Terrific serratus and intercostals on them anorexia's....

Schmoff

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 02:25:05 PM »

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 02:41:02 PM »

"bodybuilder marries fitness babe......20 yrs later."

Nails

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 03:04:03 PM »

Derek Anthony and his nurse after a dialysis session

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
Re: Anorexic Men - it does happen
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 06:13:59 AM »

Species 8472 from Star Trek Voyager?  The Borg's mortal enemy that was capable of both telepathically communicating and influencing their enemies, while single-handedly delivering the most devastating blow to the Borg hive..

"1"

viking1

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 06:55:33 AM »

Derek Anthony and his nurse after a dialysis session

aww, fuck  trying not to laugh at that.

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 06:56:54 AM »
"bodybuilder marries fitness babe......20 yrs later."

HAHAH LMAO

That's exactly how it would go  ;D ;D

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 10:53:52 AM »

Species 8472 from Star Trek Voyager?  The Borg's mortal enemy that was capable of both telepathically communicating and influencing their enemies, while single-handedly delivering the most devastating blow to the Borg hive..

"1"
Yeah but Catherine kicked its ass !!

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 11:00:09 AM »

Species 8472 from Star Trek Voyager?  The Borg's mortal enemy that was capable of both telepathically communicating and influencing their enemies, while single-handedly delivering the most devastating blow to the Borg hive..

"1"

Ill  8)

Only 2nd to the First Ones wrecking a planet killer  8)

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 11:03:48 AM »
The only one more frightening was Species 90210....

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 11:14:09 AM »
anorexic 'men' are just another sign of a completely, sissified (western) society we now live in. i bet tere's not many of these fuckers in eastern europe or africa.

there's no anorexic taliban thats for fucking sure  :D

yep, sissified. where young males post kisses (x) to each other on shit like facebook.

our media promotes homosexuality as normal behaviour to children.

tells women that they're the equal of men.

and competitiveness is almost discouraged. western society  ::)