Author Topic: The Myth About Flat Bench is True  (Read 13813 times)

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: The Myth About Flat Bench is True
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 12:10:46 AM »
Fucker got me as well last week and now I'm sitting here unable to lift my arm.

Hadn't done regular benches in a years - been working well with seated Hammers and flat db but thought I'd just change it up for variety. And you know, I actually thought to be careful because I'd not benched for ages. Spent a long time warming up shoulders - got through 3 sets pain free but the next day i was fucked.

Now I'm sitting here waiting for my second physio/osteo appointment of the week and it's only fucking Wednesday.

Fuck you bench press!

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 12:49:29 AM »
I never flat bench, pointless exercise IMO.  I know 4 guys who've torn their pecs doing it, countless RC injuries.  Sure guys have done it for years and have no problems but it's just too easy for something to go wrong.

Hammer Strength machines are far better for building the pecs anyway, haven't used any other machines that even come close.  If you don't have them in your gym, I'll second what Wes said, Incline Smith, DB's and Cables are second best to the Hammer machines.

maxkane69

• Getbig IV
  • PALUMBOISM DESTROYED BODYBUILDING!
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 12:52:46 AM »
The truth is that the big 3 powerlifting lift ( Bench Press, Deadlift, Squat) are the reason why most 40 years old bodybuilders have fucked up rotator cuff and herniated disc!
Avoid the big 3 lift if you still want to lift weight otherwaise you'll quit going to the gym for frustration derived from the pain you'll will expwerience!

undertaker90

• Getbig II
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 01:44:44 AM »
same thing happened to me, my shoulders are fucked for the rest of my life, so i cant no longer do dips all the way down and bench.. i just woke up in the middle of the night and my shoulder where swollen and i couldnt move.. this was 3 years ago...

when i do incline, decline or other exercises its all okay dont feel any pain but when i use more than 60 kg on the flat bench, fuck im in hug pain for days!!

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 03:10:41 AM »
That's why you should spend some time regulary doing profilactic exercises for your rotator cuff (google it). They strenghten some of the "neglected" areas and the chance of injury gets lower.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2012, 03:16:49 AM »
you can't generalize... flat bench is good for some... not as good for others... go with what feels right for you

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2012, 03:23:35 AM »
For years I've always done flat bench and I've never had an discomfort or injuries from it.

For years I've seen people write how it's dangerous; even the great Dorian Yates says it's a bad exercise.

Finally last week I injured myself doing this movement, with only 225 lbs.  I thought it was a freak accident, and this week my shoulder has felt fine, until I did flat bench again.  I've done shoulder presses with 300 lbs the other day, and no pain at all, but 145 lbs on the flat bench cripples my shoulder.

It's only that exercise that causes the pain, therefore I believe the myth that flat bench is bad.

Heed this advice for you natural lifters.

bench press is a good exercise.

but people use it with a bad form,too many ego, bouncing, forced rep, trying to max at every workout.

if people use skull crusher, lateral raise or calf machine that way you'll see thousand of article like ": The Myth About skull crusher is True",  "The Myth About calf machine is True" etc etc

use bench press a a muscle builder, 6/10 reps range, controlled reps and you'll be fine.

bp is not a bad exercise by itself, the egomake it a bad exercise.
asstropin

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2012, 03:41:27 AM »
Can't work out what is more in fashion on Getbig these days - to decry bench presses or decry supplement use.  ;)

Flat benches have always worked fine for me - decent gains in strength and size and no injuries. To each their own. I do however prefer declines though for lower pec development.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2012, 04:10:07 AM »
you can't generalize... flat bench is good for some... not as good for others... go with what feels right for you
Very true.....some people are just great at benching and can push out huge numbers on the lift,others will never have a big bench no matter how long they train.

Same thing as far as developing pecs is concerned,some guys respond great to benches as they just have a propensity for the lift,others will be better suited trying other chest movements.

Too heavy,too often,with a huge ego is what wrecks most peoples shoulders as far as benching is concerned.

How big is your arm,and how much can you bench  ???

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2012, 04:42:14 AM »
It's a myth. Joint stability before primary movers. Possibly doing it the wrong way that causes more stress on the joint and connective tissue. Overuse.

x2

Even light weights can injure you.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2012, 04:43:51 AM »
Very true.....some people are just great at benching and can push out huge numbers on the lift,others will never have a big bench no matter how long they train.

Same thing as far as developing pecs is concerned,some guys respond great to benches as they just have a propensity for the lift,others will be better suited trying other chest movements.

Too heavy,too often,with a huge ego is what wrecks most peoples shoulders as far as benching is concerned.

How big is your arm,and how much can you bench  ???

Sorry Wes, know it's off topic but did you post pics of your and the mrs recently on Getbig? Trying to distinguish between a dream and reality yesterday lol  ;D

Oly15

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2012, 06:24:46 AM »
Arnold's chest was built soley on flat bench, inclune bench, and flyes, not pussy hammerstrength and dumbbell presses.

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2012, 06:39:16 AM »
alot of pussies in this thread.

eidt:
I have a BP contest in 2 weeks. Ill bump this thread after that with: "fuck bros, you were right"

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2012, 06:44:55 AM »
for a start, DBs dont offer you greater range of movement than barbell. If you draw a line between your hands in the DB press u will notice that you dont go as deep.

secondly, depth in the flat press doesnt contribute to pec size. The last bottom third of the rep is mechanically disadvantageous and a shoulder wrecker.

The top 1/5th of the rep is also bad for the shoulders.

that leaves a small portion where its useful. The hammer strength machine is good as it lifts the resistance thruogh the upright plane for the portion of the rep that is useful. For both the bottom and top of the range, the weights are moving less against gravity.

The best pec exercises are machine or cable flyes. They are the only exercise that replicates what the pec does completely. Dumb bell flyes are good also, but again the top and bottom of the range is useless.

For shoulder issues, its more that the bar restricts the proper, natural arc of motion. Plus its overuse and ego lifting. All that equals shoulder damage.

I recommend to anyone to just not train shoulders as a result. They get plenty of work from back and chest, and you either have them or you dont. Once they are gone, so are your plans of becoming huge.

speaking from experience.

I never said dumbbells offer you a greater range of motion over a barbell. I just said go as low as you can. Another factor with a dumbbell press is that the if you look at the way the humerus bone is moving you can see that it goes wide and finishes closer together with dumbbell presses. The pecs are more activated than the locked width you have with gripping a bar. Even using a barbell the range of motion is limited by hitting the chest. If you ever used an MacDonald bar you would agree you could get 3 or more inches on the down stroke.

I disagree with the premise you put forth that going through a fuller range of motion damages joints. I believe the opposite. Doing a limited range of motion causes tightness of a joint that can actually cause an injury when that limited range of motion is exceeded.

Your explanation of machine flies would appear to be correct if you follow the body isolation theory of body part training. In truth the body works as a unit in any athletic function and a press is better for systemic growth than an isolation exercise. So a press for chest is better than a fly. Your  premise of not training shoulders is bizarre.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2012, 07:02:15 AM »
Some time ago, I was using a bench machine at my place's gym...the thing effed up my right shoulder.

The gym where I am at now, I use the Smith Machine for flat and incline---I get a huge pump from doing flat bench press on there, and no shoulder pain---but, I always get the feeling that a straight bar tends to "over-torque" the shoulder, especially if hand placement is off.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2012, 08:14:15 AM »
Sorry Wes, know it's off topic but did you post pics of your and the mrs recently on Getbig? Trying to distinguish between a dream and reality yesterday lol  ;D
Whatchoo talkin` `bout Willis  ???

;D

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2012, 08:25:27 AM »
Whatchoo talkin` `bout Willis  ???

;D

Hahaha not to worry, I must have dreamed last night but I swear I was looking through the boards and you posted a topic like "Me and the wife" and it was a few pics of you guys in the kitchen fixing up some food - you were looking jacked dont worry haha ;D"

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2012, 08:28:25 AM »
Hahaha not to worry, I must have dreamed last night but I swear I was looking through the boards and you posted a topic like "Me and the wife" and it was a few pics of you guys in the kitchen fixing up some food - you were looking jacked dont worry haha ;D"
LOL  :D

My wife would kill me if I ever posted her pics online.........seriously!

Stop eating Greek food before you go to bed at night!

Rammstein

• Getbig III

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2012, 08:36:29 AM »
LOL  :D

My wife would kill me if I ever posted her pics online.........seriously!

Stop eating Greek food before you go to bed at night!

Hahaha yes too much feta and tomatoes!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2012, 08:38:23 AM »
Hahaha yes too much feta and tomatoes!
Those two combined always make for bad dreams!!

Were my abs shredded,and did my arms look any bigger,and did I finally have quads that looked like human legs.................... ....did my wifes tits shrink(hopefully not) ?   ;D

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2012, 09:16:40 AM »
i gave up flat bench a long time ago cause of delt pain, and it didnt really do much for my pecs compared to inclines, dumbell flat presses, weighted dips and pec dec. flat bench works great for alot of people though
R

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2012, 09:21:18 AM »
Those two combined always make for bad dreams!!

Were my abs shredded,and did my arms look any bigger,and did I finally have quads that looked like human legs.................... ....did my wifes tits shrink(hopefully not) ?   ;D

All I can say wes, is that it definately qualified as a 'wet dream' and that was before your wife walked into the kitchen stud  ;D

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2012, 09:29:11 AM »
All I can say wes, is that it definately qualified as a 'wet dream' and that was before your wife walked into the kitchen stud  ;D
OUTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2012, 11:02:33 AM »
The truth is that the big 3 powerlifting lift ( Bench Press, Deadlift, Squat) are the reason why most 40 years old bodybuilders have fucked up rotator cuff and herniated disc!
Avoid the big 3 lift if you still want to lift weight otherwaise you'll quit going to the gym for frustration derived from the pain you'll will expwerience!

::)

Because it's fun to go to the gym and do sissy laterals, biceps curls and pec flyes, right?