Author Topic: How old to retire from competitive sports....  (Read 4447 times)

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
How old to retire from competitive sports....
« on: April 25, 2012, 03:46:22 AM »
As a regular Joe that doesn't have an endless medical staff attending to every little niggle.

Competitive sport, not social sport.......
P

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
Re: How old to retire from competitive sports....
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 06:06:58 AM »
Seems like baseball and hocky you can play into your 40's.  NFL, shit late 20's is pushing it.  Golf well into your 40's as well.  I would say it depends on your sport.  How old is Beckham?

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 06:12:49 AM »
As a regular Joe that doesn't have an endless medical staff attending to every little niggle.

Competitive sport, not social sport.......

Go till you cant go no more...if youre healthy and can compete at a high level.. fuck it.. why not.

Thats how i was with football the last couple of years. I figure... if i CAN... and If i can still do it well.... why not... because im 29?... fuck it.. its fun..so do it

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 06:13:29 AM »
Seems like baseball and hocky you can play into your 40's.  NFL, shit late 20's is pushing it.  Golf well into your 40's as well.  I would say it depends on your sport.  How old is Beckham?
i think he is talking about the Rugby....

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 06:23:42 AM »
Playing baseball in two leagues this Summer. I'll know when to hang it up.   

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 09:27:01 AM »
What level are the other players at? If it's a team sport where your performance really affects others on the team, then you go till your performance drops to a consistently lower level than your teammates. If your still playing at a good level, then you go till it becomes more of a chore than fun.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 12:51:26 PM »
bb early-mid 40s so it seems...

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 12:55:58 PM »
Hell, retire when you're no longer getting enjoyment or getting better.

If you're alive, do whatever it is that gives you enjoyment. Who cares what others think.

And if it's bigtime sports like the NBA, NHL or NFL, retire when you begin to suck, and then do it on a personal level or find something else.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 01:01:28 PM »
Hell, retire when you're no longer getting enjoyment or getting better.

If you're alive, do whatever it is that gives you enjoyment. Who cares what others think.

And if it's bigtime sports like the NBA, NHL or NFL, retire when you begin to suck, and then do it on a personal level or find something else.

Not agree....Ronnie is a travesty to bb.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 01:04:54 PM »
Not agree....Ronnie is a travesty to bb.

Bodybuilding is not a sport. The training required is athletic, sure, and posing when at no bodyfat is tough, but it isn't a sport.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 01:10:46 PM »
Bodybuilding is not a sport. The training required is athletic, sure, and posing when at no bodyfat is tough, but it isn't a sport.
The contests are not a sport, that's true. But the training/dedication, juiced or not, is the hardest of all sports..

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 01:25:45 PM »
The contests are not a sport, that's true. But the training/dedication, juiced or not, is the hardest of all sports..

In some ways, I wouldn't argue against what you say.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 01:27:16 PM »
The're no other sport with such a ridiculous hefty diet regime....

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 01:39:19 AM »
Go till you cant go no more...if youre healthy and can compete at a high level.. fuck it.. why not.

Thats how i was with football the last couple of years. I figure... if i CAN... and If i can still do it well.... why not... because im 29?... fuck it.. its fun..so do it

Yeah I'm 29 this year and it seems like I'm getting injured every 2nd game.

I'd like to think its just a bad run and I can still go out on my own terms and not have to throw in the towel because of old age.
P

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 08:22:59 AM »

I'd like to think its just a bad run and I can still go out on my own terms and not have to throw in the towel because of old age.

LMAO.. 29 aint old age..... fuck ill be 30 next weekend. The only reason im not playing football anymore is because of a really really bad knee...

Granted the sport you play is a lot rougher.. as you have no padding what so ever (that shit still blows my mind) but if the injuries arent keeping you out of games and you play as well as the other guys then keep playing..

I bet if your ass sat out in the stands watching the game... and someone was out there sucking... you would be kicking your own ass asking "why the fuck am i not playing"

hematocritter

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 09:01:59 AM »
You hang it up when you no longer enjoy it.

I raced motocross as a kid, 'retired' young after making a mess out of my body.
A guy got a factory supported ride at age 26 back when I was racing, his name was
John Down and he was considered a dinosaur.
There are guys that race vet classes still in their 50's, it's usually not their stamina
or anything that keeps them from competing has hard as they can, its fear of what
happens when you come off that bike..... each time it takes longer and longer to come
back from.
I got tired of always having a nagging pain here or there, and always being scared
of what was going to happen next. So I hung it up and went to college. It just wasn't fun
anymore.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 12:43:22 PM »
I'm wondering if this is Ray Lewis' last season in the pros. He turns 37 in May and entering his 17th NFL season. Remarkable. And He's still starting in the NFL for a reason...because he's still that good. He actually defended the pass pretty well this season, especially against TE's.

I'm hoping that he tries to play until he's 40, even if it becomes in a more limited, reduced role. It just won't be the same going to a game once he retires. Haters don't like his squirrel dance before games but it really is pretty cool to see live. He really is an icon here in Baltimore. He'll have his own statue outside the stadium one day, No doubt about it.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 08:33:05 AM »
baseball apparently 50 that's if jaimie moyer pitches next year. football 40's if your a kicker or QB. other positions get your money and get out before your 30 but most don't last 4 years. basketball mid 30's sounds right.
F

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 12:53:22 PM »
I think Dick Trickle raced well into his 50's.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 01:39:51 PM »
I'm wondering if this is Ray Lewis' last season in the pros. He turns 37 in May and entering his 17th NFL season. Remarkable. And He's still starting in the NFL for a reason...because he's still that good. He actually defended the pass pretty well this season, especially against TE's.

I'm hoping that he tries to play until he's 40, even if it becomes in a more limited, reduced role. It just won't be the same going to a game once he retires. Haters don't like his squirrel dance before games but it really is pretty cool to see live. He really is an icon here in Baltimore. He'll have his own statue outside the stadium one day, No doubt about it.

best ever... when he retires... ill cry.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 01:45:40 PM »

Hmm. Are you still helping the team, in some way? Or, are you not contributing? Make sure sure it's not an ego thing. Keep banging.