Author Topic: Leg work out without squats  (Read 7953 times)

willie mosconi

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Leg work out without squats
« on: April 26, 2012, 07:56:11 PM »
For whatever reason, I've always felt like squats are not the best leg exercise for me. Long ago I gave up on them- I think I don't do them with proper form and have always felt that leg presses, hacks, reverse hacks, and various squat machines give me a better leg workout. However, I still envy those guys that can step under the squat rack and handle some heavy poundages. It motivated me to start doing squats again last year, but I started to injure my lower back (old injury from about 10 years ago re-surfaced).

So, do you guys think you can get a great leg workout with squats or is in the lack of squats in a leg workout insurmountable as a flaw? Opinions?

Mawse

• Getbig IV
Re: Leg work out without squats
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 09:35:48 PM »
I haven't squatted this year, and dont plan on since I don't want a hip replacement.

squats are a great exercise, probably the best for total leg size but if you cant squat properly then why bother with something that hurts you.

i use the horizontal leg press and variations of hip belt squats and my legs are a little smaller than when I was a 700lb squatter, but I'm not a broken mess of injuries all the time now either.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 09:53:18 PM »
have you tried front squats? For sure doing heavy leg presses, hack squats and leg extensions you could gain some good size.
?

abijahmaniaco

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 09:59:34 PM »
fuck squats. don't do shit for me. then again... nothing does. :'(

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 04:39:51 AM »
I always start my leg workout with about 4-5 'warm up sets' of squats, going from 30 reps with the bar to 10 reps with about 20kg less than my max.

I then do 3 sets of 6 reps of my absolute heaviest (without compromising form) - as soon as I feel like i'm doing a half rep on my last rep - i'll lower the weight.

BUT - i feel like my upper leg size come from the rest of my workout:

4 sets heavy as I can possible go for 12 reps on the lying leg press (plate loaded one)
3 sets of quad raises
3 sets of dumbell lunges (light but focusing on maxiumum squeeze on the quad)

THB I feel I get stronger, denser, and a bit bigger from the heavy squatting - but I would have nowhere near the sweep and thickness without the leg pressing and raises.

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 05:00:52 AM »
I used to do them religiously and they were the best for size but I haven't done them in a year. I don't juice, I'm over 40 - I'm not going to get any bigger and I'm only going to get injured more easily so I switched to one legged leg presses instead. My legs have lost a little size but I don't really care - the presses are working out ok for me.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 05:21:22 AM »
What are reverse hacks?  Are you talking about going face down in a hack squat machine?  TBH, that seems like you would be just doing a front squat....

I loved squatting...i felt like I grew more in the days when I could get away with 3 - 4 sets of squats, the leg press, then 3 - 4 sets of leg curls.  Then go home.

Now, the knees take so long to warm up so I end up doing something like this...

Leg Ext - 20, 15, 15, 12
Hack - 4 x 15 - 20
THEN squat 3 x 12

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 05:22:13 AM »
Squats have been called the best exercise you could do in the weight room. Maybe it's true but are there negatives?  

It seems quite a few hip replacements have happened for a lot of guys who squatted many years. I know Grimek, Ferrigno, Bass, and Paul Anderson had hip problems. If you know anymore add them to the list.  Is squatting a natural thing to put your hip joint through? I can't answer that.

One thing for sure as Yates has shown you can build big legs without squats. I know for myself I went through a long period of hip pain. I have been using squats since I was a teenager. What gave me relief was doing leg presses prior to squats. I would use less weight due to being fatigued from the leg presses but the joint didn't hurt.

One thing for sure. Most avoid squats because they don't have a work ethic and squats are to much work. I would say for any exercise though, if it hurts a joint, don't use it.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 05:42:52 AM »
There's so many variations you can do instead of the regular old back squat, without relying on machines:

Front squat, Bulgarian split squat, anterior load split squat, Box squat (personal favorite right now), goblet squat.....

Most peoples issues are flexibility and using too much weight.  Unless there's injury, I would always try to do one of these.

Not talking body building - just for overall strength/exercise.....
Y

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 06:08:33 AM »
Unfortunately 25 years of heavy squats have injured my C5/C6 vertabre area.  It hurt for years, but I was stubborn and continued to squat heavy.  It caused nerve impingement resulting in severe neck and shoulder pain.

A few years ago I started using a Manta Ray to displace the weight of the bar.  It's awkward, but it allows me to squat without severe pain.  I cannot go any higher than 275lbs, but at least I can still squat.  I never had any problems with my lower back or hips.  You're only as strong as your weakest link.

jparker

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 06:52:31 AM »

willie mosconi

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 06:57:22 AM »
What are reverse hacks?  Are you talking about going face down in a hack squat machine?  TBH, that seems like you would be just doing a front squat....

I loved squatting...i felt like I grew more in the days when I could get away with 3 - 4 sets of squats, the leg press, then 3 - 4 sets of leg curls.  Then go home.

Now, the knees take so long to warm up so I end up doing something like this...

Leg Ext - 20, 15, 15, 12
Hack - 4 x 15 - 20
THEN squat 3 x 12

Yes, reverse hacks means facing the machine- so basically a front squat. I've really liked those since I incorporated them into my leg workouts a few months ago

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 06:57:34 AM »
JNN squats to pee.

abijahmaniaco

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 10:45:53 PM »
Unfortunately 25 years of heavy squats have injured my C5/C6 vertabre area.  It hurt for years, but I was stubborn and continued to squat heavy.  It caused nerve impingement resulting in severe neck and shoulder pain.

A few years ago I started using a Manta Ray to displace the weight of the bar.  It's awkward, but it allows me to squat without severe pain.  I cannot go any higher than 275lbs, but at least I can still squat.  I never had any problems with my lower back or hips.  You're only as strong as your weakest link.

why put yourself through that? fuck man! for what? do girls give a shit? did they ever?

^he didn't squat for at least an entire year before showing up like that. just sayin'.

Jovo

• Getbig III
  • Getbig !
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 10:51:14 PM »
I stopped doing squats a month ago ( or at least going heavy) because my olwer back is not feeling to well( but it is getting better)

Im sure the exercises such as lunges, leg press(and other style of this movement), hammie curl and SLDL will work just as well

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 05:14:49 AM »
Problem with me is that lately I have yet to find a leg press that doesn't wreck havoc on my knees.  The 'engineers' of the leg presses now a days seem to want to make the foot plate more and more angled away (i.e. heels higher than toes).  What the fuck happened to the older style ones???  Everyone only has the retarded Cybex leg press or the Icarian ones.  Are those companies the 'generic' leg press companies used to keep costs down on equipment?

Everyone seems to be able to stack this one (and I mean everyone...shows how piss poor the design is)

What the fuck is with the bend in the foot plate???

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 05:20:15 AM »
I think alot of guys I see in the gym - almost all of them, have under developed legs and some squat 3-4 plates! I actually watch them and wonder, how do they move that weghit and look so ordinary.

I have relatively big legs, and I squat alot- but I dont try to break any personal records. I get some good reps and have good form, and work up to 315 and even if I know I can throw on another plate I usually say to myself why not another set with the same weight and trash them good

there is many ways to move a weight from point a to b, but to do it to stimulate growth I think it has to be strict and direct-

claymore

• Getbig IV

undertaker90

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 06:14:11 AM »
When at my biggest i only did leg extension and leg curl 5 set with as many reps i could on each then finished.. couldnt walk for days after...

And my legs where 74 cm with veins and pretty lean my calves was 49 cm and i only did 2 set of standing calf raise a week...

Squat is for powerlifters...

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 07:00:39 AM »
why put yourself through that? fuck man! for what? do girls give a shit? did they ever?

^he didn't squat for at least an entire year before showing up like that. just sayin'.

If you lift just for girls and completely neglect all the benefits of squats then I'm fucking speechless.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 07:10:56 AM »
i like squatting ,different variations like free to a machine squat or feet positions,heavy relative and low rep 6 or high rep days as well,i feel its a good start to workout and all other exercises around them benefit .leg presses,extensions ,lunges thats what gets the grooves and definition after the mass is attained with squatting.but then again great or good legs can be developed with many other movements as long as there pushed hard.

abijahmaniaco

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2012, 08:19:31 AM »
If you lift just for girls and completely neglect all the benefits of squats then I'm fucking speechless.

what benefits??? back problems, knee pain, spinal compression, etc, etc...?

fuck that.

and don't start with the "it raises test" bullshit

as if that's anything but negligible

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2012, 01:33:57 PM »
When at my biggest i only did leg extension and leg curl 5 set with as many reps i could on each then finished.. couldnt walk for days after...

And my legs where 74 cm with veins and pretty lean my calves was 49 cm and i only did 2 set of standing calf raise a week...

Squat is for powerlifters...

pics or shut the fuckin' fuck up.
?

Marlo Stanfield

• Getbig IV
  • You want it to be one way,but it's the other way.
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2012, 01:47:21 PM »
For whatever reason, I've always felt like squats are not the best leg exercise for me. Long ago I gave up on them- I think I don't do them with proper form and have always felt that leg presses, hacks, reverse hacks, and various squat machines give me a better leg workout. However, I still envy those guys that can step under the squat rack and handle some heavy poundages. It motivated me to start doing squats again last year, but I started to injure my lower back (old injury from about 10 years ago re-surfaced).

So, do you guys think you can get a great leg workout with squats or is in the lack of squats in a leg workout insurmountable as a flaw? Opinions?

for me, the risk/benifit ratio of squats isnt worth it, and to be honest, i dont want 40 inch thighs.  Sure squats are great, but you can work your way around it... i do them maybe like once every 9-10 leg day, just to spice it up. Same goes for deadlifts.. if you cant build your back with rows ( t-bar, one arm dumbell) and other excercise, then your doing something wrong.. again, sure deadlifts are great, but you can build a back without it

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2012, 01:52:05 PM »
for me, the risk/benifit ratio of squats isnt worth it, and to be honest, i dont want 40 inch thighs.  Sure squats are great, but you can work your way around it... i do them maybe like once every 9-10 leg day, just to spice it up. Same goes for deadlifts.. if you cant build your back with rows ( t-bar, one arm dumbell) and other excercise, then your doing something wrong.. again, sure deadlifts are great, but you can build a back without it

Some true and false here. Benefits to risks you say? What risks, there aren't any if you do them right. And since you don't want 40 inch quads, no need to be going super heavy, so what's the problem?

And yes, if you do rows and all the variations of them you can build a thick ass back. Deads are great, yes, but it can be done without them.
?