Author Topic: F.D.A. Sends Warning Letters to 10 Marketers of ‘Workout Boosters’  (Read 26051 times)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Here we go.... FDA getting involved in more supplement products...

FDA NEWS RELEASE For Immediate Release:  April 27, 2012
Media Inquiries: Siobhan DeLancey, 301-796-4668 or 202-510-4177, siobhan.delancey@fda.hhs.gov;
                      Tamara Ward, 301-796-7567, tamara.ward@fda.hhs.gov
Trade Press Inquiries: Sebastian Cianci, 240-402-2291, sebastian.cianci@fda.hhs.gov
Consumer Inquiries: 888-INFO-FDA

FDA challenges marketing of DMAA products for lack of safety evidence
Agency cites ten companies in warning letters

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today issued warning letters to ten manufacturers and distributors of dietary supplements containing dimethylamylamine, more popularly known as DMAA, for marketing products for which evidence of the safety of the product had not been submitted to FDA.

Also referred to as 1,3-dimethylamylamine, methylhexanamine, or geranium extract, the ingredient is in dietary supplements and is often touted as a "natural" stimulant.  

The companies receiving warning letters and their product names are:

Exclusive Supplements - Biorhythm Juice
Fahrenheit Nutrition - Lean Efx
Gaspari Nutrition - Spirodex
iSatori - PWR
Muscle Warfare - Napalm
MuscleMeds - Code Red
Nutrex Research - Hemo Rage Black
Nutrex Research - Lipo-6 Black Ultra Concentrate
Nutrex Research - Lipo-6 Black
Nutrex Research - Lipo-6 Black Hers Ultra Concentrate
Nutrex Research - Lipo-6 Black Hers
SEI Pharmaceuticals - MethylHex 4,2  
SNI LLC - Nitric Blast
USP Labs - Oxy Elite Pro
USP Labs -Jack3D  

"Before marketing products containing DMAA, manufacturers and distributors have a responsibility under the law to provide evidence of the safety of their products. They haven’t done that and that makes the products adulterated," said Daniel Fabricant, Ph.D., Director of FDA’s Dietary Supplement Program.

Specifically, the warning letters cite the companies for marketing products for which a notification had not been submitted for the use of DMAA as a New Dietary Ingredient (NDI). Under current law, dietary supplement manufacturers or distributors who use certain dietary ingredients not marketed in a dietary supplement prior to October 15, 1994, are responsible for notifying the FDA of evidence to support their conclusion that their dietary supplements containing NDIs are safe. Manufacturers or distributors must submit notification at least 75 days before marketing their products. The companies warned today were marketing products for which this requirement had not been met.

The FDA warning letters also advised the companies that the agency is not aware of evidence or history of use to indicate that DMAA is safe. Under the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 (DSHEA), manufacturers, marketers and distributors of dietary supplements are responsible for ensuring that they are marketing a safe product.

The FDA letters noted that DMAA is known to narrow the blood vessels and arteries, which can elevate blood pressure and may lead to cardiovascular events ranging from shortness of breath and tightening in the chest to heart attack. The agency has received 42 adverse event reports on products containing DMAA. While the complaints do not establish that DMAA was the cause of the incidents, some of the reports have included cardiac disorders, nervous system disorders, psychiatric disorders, and death.

The agency additionally warned the companies that synthetically-produced DMAA is not a “dietary ingredient” and, therefore, is not eligible to be used as an active ingredient in a dietary supplement. DSHEA defines a dietary ingredient as a vitamin, mineral, amino acid, herb or other botanical, a dietary substance for use by man to supplement the diet, or a concentrate, metabolite, constituent, extract, or combination of these substances.

The companies have 15 business days to respond to the FDA with the specific steps they will take to address the issues in the warning letters.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!

NY Times article...

The Food and Drug Administration warned marketers of dietary supplements this week that certain popular “workout boosters” could increase people’s blood pressure, potentially causing shortness of breath or heart attacks.

With names like Jack3d and OxyElite Pro, these products have been popular with athletes because they contain an ingredient, known as dimethylamylamine or DMAA, advertised to increase energy, concentration and metabolism. Marketed as dietary supplements, the products have been best sellers among fitness buffs at stores like GNC and the Vitamin Shoppe, as well as on Web sites like bodybuilding.com.

But in warning letters sent on Tuesday to 10 firms that make or distribute such items, federal health regulators deemed the products adulterated because, the agency said, the firms had failed to demonstrate the safety of the crucial ingredient. DMAA, agency officials wrote in the letters, “narrows the blood vessels and arteries,” frequently leading to elevated blood pressure.

“Before marketing products containing DMAA, manufacturers and distributors have a responsibility under the law to provide evidence of the safety of their products,” Daniel Fabricant, director of the F.D.A.’s dietary supplement program, said in a statement on Friday afternoon. “They haven’t done that, and that makes the products adulterated.” The firms have 15 business days to tell the F.D.A. what actions they plan to take to address the issues cited in the letters.

Marketers say the ingredient is safe.

Greg Miller, a spokesman for GNC, said the company was “unaware of any scientific or medical evidence which calls the safety of DMAA into question” and disagreed with the F.D.A.’s action.

Peter B. Hutt, a lawyer at Covington & Burling who represents USPlabs, the marketer of Jack3d and OxyElite Pro, said: “The company is convinced that DMAA is lawfully marketed as a dietary ingredient under federal law and the company will present a full defense of the ingredient.”  

Other firms that received the agency’s warning letters include Muscle Warfare, which markets a DMAA product called Napalm; MuscleMeds Performance Technologies, the marketer of Code Red; and Farenheit Nutrition, which markets a product called Lean-Efx.

The agency’s warning follows an announcement earlier this year by the United States Defense Department that it was investigating whether products containing DMAA played a role in the deaths of two soldiers last year.

DMAA was originally developed in the 1940s by Eli Lilly, the pharmaceutical company, as a nasal decongestant called Forthane, but the drug maker stopped making the medicine.

In Canada, the government health agency has classified DMAA as an amphetaminelike drug, prohibiting companies there from selling the ingredient as a dietary supplement.

Steve Mister, the chief executive of the Council for Responsible Nutrition, a dietary supplement trade group, said that DMAA had been the subject of controversy in the industry.

“Some companies have been critical,” Mr. Mister said, “but some companies that make it say that they have the data to show that it is both safe and a legitimate dietary supplement ingredient.”

Still, Mr. Mister added, “I am not defending this ingredient because none of my member companies make it.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/28/health/fda-sends-warning-letters-to-10-marketers-of-workout-boosters.html?_r=1

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
I've said this since it came on the market, DMAA is too strong to be legal. Causes terrible depression when it wears off as well.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
I noticed that the brand I sometimes use is not on the list of companies to recieve the letter.
I wonder if there are others, and why they did not receive the "warning."

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Most were probably smart enough to take it out before it gets banned or someone kills himself during the crash. It seriously fucks with the mind.

Montague

• Getbig V
The agency additionally warned the companies that synthetically-produced DMAA is not a “dietary ingredient” and, therefore, is not eligible to be used as an active ingredient in a dietary supplement.

Is the FDA specifically targetting companies that use the synthetic form?
The articles don't clearly state the criteria for who got the letters. I don't know about the other products, but I know that the one I use is derived from geranium extract.
I'm also curious if the herbal form carries side effects comparable to the synthetic version.

There isn't a whole lot of research or info on this ingredient.

Montague

• Getbig V
While on the topic of DMMA, I’ll add the following insight:

The most significant effect I’ve found DMMA to have is enhancing concentration/focus following consumption. I’ve never experienced heart palpitations or elevated RMR from it. When taken with caffeine, it seems to have a pleasantly synergistic end result, with another bonus being the minimization of the “crash” feeling that often accompanies larger quantities of caffeine intake.

However, I’ve never cared for it as a pre-workout supplement. As a vasoconstrictor, it’s not the best workout aid. You may - at least in theory - be able to negate that effect by also taking a vasodilator such as arginine - but, I don’t know if that will hamper the mechanism(s) of the DMMA at all.

Secondly, you should be well-hydrated prior to training. Unfortunately, water seems to dilute the strength of DMMA, another factor making it an unfavorable choice of pre-workout supplementation.

The last observation I’ve made is that you seemingly develop a tolerance to DMMA; and rather quickly, at that. In a few reviews I’ve read, users have mentioned “cycling” use of the product in different ways. I suspect that differences in individual biochemistry will vary the results and opinions that users experience; as will the ways in which users take the product. That probably explains the vast difference in feedback you can find in the product reviews.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
As an aside, just wondering why on earth someone could be attracted to a product called "Napalm"
The name Muscle Warfare is bad enough, ...but Napalm?? Good grief!!!  :o
w

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
I have used Oxy Elite Pro and didn't notice anything.  Might as well of drink a cup of coffee instead.  Of course I only took as directed which is probably safe compared to the abusers who take 3x the dose.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
As an aside, just wondering why on earth someone could be attracted to a product called "Napalm"
The name Muscle Warfare is bad enough, ...but Napalm?? Good grief!!!  :o

Same guys that workout with camo pants on probably lol.

Purge_WTF

Nutrex's Hemo Rage was one of the strongest supplements I've used. Gave me enough energy for a heavy weight-training session, twenty minutes of HIT cardio, and then a good part of my third shift at work.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Same guys that workout with camo pants on probably lol.

LOL, I was kind of thinking the same thing.  :D
w

Deadpool

• Getbig V
my jack3d.  oh, no. oh no oh noooooo...
X

Montague

• Getbig V
my jack3d.  oh, no. oh no oh noooooo...

Better stock up quick! :(

Deadpool

• Getbig V
got my six tubs of reserve jack3d.  damn govt!
X

ritch

• Getbig V
got my six tubs of reserve jack3d.  damn govt!

Geranium is hard on the cns. I used it the last few weeks and feel tired all the time. Took a week off 3 weeks ago so I should be energized and good to go...
?

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
While on the topic of DMMA, I’ll add the following insight:

The most significant effect I’ve found DMMA to have is enhancing concentration/focus following consumption. I’ve never experienced heart palpitations or elevated RMR from it. When taken with caffeine, it seems to have a pleasantly synergistic end result, with another bonus being the minimization of the “crash” feeling that often accompanies larger quantities of caffeine intake.

However, I’ve never cared for it as a pre-workout supplement. As a vasoconstrictor, it’s not the best workout aid. You may - at least in theory - be able to negate that effect by also taking a vasodilator such as arginine - but, I don’t know if that will hamper the mechanism(s) of the DMMA at all.

Secondly, you should be well-hydrated prior to training. Unfortunately, water seems to dilute the strength of DMMA, another factor making it an unfavorable choice of pre-workout supplementation.

The last observation I’ve made is that you seemingly develop a tolerance to DMMA; and rather quickly, at that. In a few reviews I’ve read, users have mentioned “cycling” use of the product in different ways. I suspect that differences in individual biochemistry will vary the results and opinions that users experience; as will the ways in which users take the product. That probably explains the vast difference in feedback you can find in the product reviews.

Totally agree.

And especially I think it is worthless as a booster because you build up tolerance quicker than you can say DMMA. 2-3 sessions and you don't feel anything.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Totally agree.

And especially I think it is worthless as a booster because you build up tolerance quicker than you can say DMMA. 2-3 sessions and you don't feel anything.

I haven't tried dmma. Is it an alpha receptor stimulant?

Montague

• Getbig V
I haven't tried dmma. Is it an alpha receptor stimulant?

I'm not sure of many details, because there hasn't been much research done on it. It allegedly acts on the nervous system via a different pathway than caffeine or ephedrine, but I've never been able to substantiate or clarify that claim. :-\

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods

I'm not sure of many details, because there hasn't been much research done on it. It allegedly acts on the nervous system via a different pathway than caffeine or ephedrine, but I've never been able to substantiate or clarify that claim. :-\

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethoxymethamphetamine

fuck that shit... crappy mdma...

Montague

• Getbig V

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods

No, that's something different.
Try this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylhexanamine

that makes more sense

Montague

• Getbig V

that makes more sense

It's a little confusing at times.
I've seen it called DMMA, DMAA, and DMA.
Your safest bet if wishing to do a search is to type "1, 3 dimethylamylamine" into the engine.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
It actually feels like crappy MDMA though, LOL!!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
i just ordered gum with caffeine in it.... fucking genius!

I ordered a case of Launch Gum (Pre-Workout Stimulant Gum) - Peppermint