Author Topic: Strassel: The President Has a List  (Read 17058 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Strassel: The President Has a List
« on: April 30, 2012, 02:19:57 PM »
Repugnant.  The POTUS attacking private citizens.  Where is the MSM?   ::)

Strassel: The President Has a List
Barack Obama attempts to intimidate contributors to Mitt Romney's campaign.
April 26, 2012

Try this thought experiment: You decide to donate money to Mitt Romney. You want change in the Oval Office, so you engage in your democratic right to send a check.

Several days later, President Barack Obama, the most powerful man on the planet, singles you out by name. His campaign brands you a Romney donor, shames you for "betting against America," and accuses you of having a "less-than-reputable" record. The message from the man who controls the Justice Department (which can indict you), the SEC (which can fine you), and the IRS (which can audit you), is clear: You made a mistake donating that money.

Richard Nixon's "enemies list" appalled the country for the simple reason that presidents hold a unique trust. Unlike senators or congressmen, presidents alone represent all Americans. Their powers—to jail, to fine, to bankrupt—are also so vast as to require restraint. Any president who targets a private citizen for his politics is de facto engaged in government intimidation and threats. This is why presidents since Nixon have carefully avoided the practice.

Save Mr. Obama, who acknowledges no rules. This past week, one of his campaign websites posted an item entitled "Behind the curtain: A brief history of Romney's donors." In the post, the Obama campaign named and shamed eight private citizens who had donated to his opponent. Describing the givers as all having "less-than-reputable records," the post went on to make the extraordinary accusations that "quite a few" have also been "on the wrong side of the law" and profiting at "the expense of so many Americans."

These are people like Paul Schorr and Sam and Jeffrey Fox, investors who the site outed for the crime of having "outsourced" jobs. T. Martin Fiorentino is scored for his work for a firm that forecloses on homes. Louis Bacon (a hedge-fund manager), Kent Burton (a "lobbyist") and Thomas O'Malley (an energy CEO) stand accused of profiting from oil. Frank VanderSloot, the CEO of a home-products firm, is slimed as a "bitter foe of the gay rights movement."

These are wealthy individuals, to be sure, but private citizens nonetheless. Not one holds elected office. Not one is a criminal. Not one has the barest fraction of the position or the power of the U.S. leader who is publicly assaulting them.

"We don't tolerate presidents or people of high power to do these things," says Theodore Olson, the former U.S. solicitor general. "When you have the power of the presidency—the power of the IRS, the INS, the Justice Department, the DEA, the SEC—what you have effectively done is put these guys' names up on 'Wanted' posters in government offices." Mr. Olson knows these tactics, having demanded that the 44th president cease publicly targeting Charles and David Koch of Koch Industries, which he represents. He's been ignored.

The real crime of the men, as the website tacitly acknowledges, is that they have given money to Mr. Romney. This fundraiser of a president has shown an acute appreciation for the power of money to win elections, and a cutthroat approach to intimidating those who might give to his opponents.

He's targeted insurers, oil firms and Wall Street—letting it be known that those who oppose his policies might face political or legislative retribution. He lectured the Supreme Court for giving companies more free speech and (falsely) accused the Chamber of Commerce of using foreign money to bankroll U.S. elections. The White House even ginned up an executive order (yet to be released) to require companies to list political donations as a condition of bidding for government contracts. Companies could bid but lose out for donating to Republicans. Or they could quit donating to the GOP—Mr. Obama's real aim.

The White House has couched its attacks in the language of "disclosure" and the argument that corporations should not have the same speech rights as individuals. But now, says Rory Cooper of the Heritage Foundation, "he's doing the same at the individual level, for anyone who opposes his policies." Any giver, at any level, risks reprisal from the president of the United States.

It's getting worse because the money game is not going as Team Obama wants. Super PACs are helping the GOP to level the playing field against Democratic super-spenders. Prominent financial players are backing Mr. Romney. The White House's new strategy is thus to delegitimize Mr. Romney (by attacking his donors) as it seeks to frighten others out of giving.

The Obama campaign has justified any action on the grounds that it has a right to "hold the eventual Republican nominee accountable," but this is a dodge. Politics is rough, but a president has obligations that transcend those of a candidate. He swore an oath to protect and defend a Constitution that gives every American the right to partake in democracy, free of fear of government intimidation or disfavored treatment. If Mr. Obama isn't going to act like a president, he bolsters the argument that he doesn't deserve to be one.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304723304577368280604524916.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Strassel: The President Has a List
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 02:28:12 PM »
Repugnant.  The POTUS attacking private citizens.  Where is the MSM?   ::)

agreed the story is huge and worthy of attention.

FOX has more importatnt stories:
Judge Stops Texas From Cutting Off Women's Clinic

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 02:29:26 PM »
agreed the story is huge and worthy of attention.

FOX has more importatnt stories:
Judge Stops Texas From Cutting Off Women's Clinic

::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 03:20:10 AM »
Here's what happens when the president of the United States publicly targets a private citizen for the crime of supporting his opponent.

Frank VanderSloot is the CEO of Melaleuca Inc. The 63-year-old has run that wellness-products company for 26 years out of tiny Idaho Falls, Idaho. Last August, Mr. VanderSloot gave $1 million to Restore Our Future, the Super PAC that supports Mitt Romney.

Three weeks ago, an Obama campaign website, "Keeping GOP Honest," took the extraordinary step of publicly naming and assailing eight private citizens backing Mr. Romney. Titled "Behind the curtain: a brief history of Romney's donors," the post accused the eight of being "wealthy individuals with less-than-reputable records." Mr. VanderSloot was one of the eight, smeared particularly as being "litigious, combative and a bitter foe of the gay rights movement."

Enlarge Image

Associated Press
About a week after that post, a man named Michael Wolf contacted the Bonneville County Courthouse in Idaho Falls in search of court records regarding Mr. VanderSloot. Specifically, Mr. Wolf wanted all the documents dealing with Mr. VanderSloot's divorces, as well as a case involving a dispute with a former Melaleuca employee.

Mr. Wolf sent a fax to the clerk's office—which I have obtained—listing four cases he was after. He would later send a second fax, asking for three further court cases dealing with either Melaleuca or Mr. VanderSloot. Mr. Wolf listed only his name and a private cellphone number.

Some digging revealed that Mr. Wolf was, until a few months ago, a law clerk on the Democratic side of the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations. He's found new work. The ID written out at the top of his faxes identified them as coming from "Glenn Simpson." That's the name of a former Wall Street Journal reporter who in 2009 founded a D.C. company that performs private investigative work.

The website for that company, Fusion GPS, describes itself as providing "strategic intelligence," with expertise in areas like "politics." That's a polite way of saying "opposition research."

When I called Fusion's main number and asked to speak to Michael Wolf, a man said Mr. Wolf wasn't in the office that day but he'd be in this coming Monday. When I reached Mr. Wolf on his private cell, he confirmed he had until recently worked at the Senate.

When I asked what his interest was in Mr. VanderSloot's divorce records, he hesitated, then said he didn't want to talk about that. When I asked what his relationship was with Fusion, he hesitated again and said he had "no comment." "It's a legal thing," he added.

Fusion dodged my calls, so I couldn't ask who was paying it to troll through Mr. VanderSloot's divorce records. Mr. Simpson finally sent an email stating: "Frank VanderSloot is a figure of interest in the debate over civil rights for gay Americans. As his own record on gay issues amply demonstrates, he is a legitimate subject of public records research into his lengthy history of legal disputes."

Related Video

Columnist Kim Strassel on President Obama's enemies list. Photo: Associated Press

A look through Federal Election Commission records did not show any payments to Fusion or Mr. Wolf from political players, such as the Democratic National Committee, the Obama campaign, or liberal Super PACs. Then again, when political groups want to hire researchers, it is not uncommon to hire a less controversial third party, which then hires the researchers.

This is not the first attack on Mr. VanderSloot. While the executive has been a force in Idaho politics and has helped Mr. Romney raise money, he's not what most would consider a national political power player. Through 2011, nearly every mention of Mr. VanderSloot appeared in Idaho or Washington state newspapers, often in reference to his business.

That changed in January, with the first Super PAC disclosures. Liberal bloggers and media have since dug into his past, dredging up long-ago Idaho controversies that touched on gay issues. His detractors have spiraled these into accusations that Mr. VanderSloot is a "gay bashing thug." He's become a national political focus of attention, aided by the likes of partisan Salon blogger Glenn Greenwald and MSNBC host Rachel Maddow. Bloggers have harassed his children, visiting their social media accounts and asking for interviews and information.

Mr. VanderSloot has said his attackers have misconstrued facts and made false allegations. In February he wrote a long reply, publicly stating that he has "many gay friends whom I love and respect" who should "have the same freedoms and rights as any other individual." The Obama campaign's response, in April, was to single out Mr. VanderSloot and repeat the slurs.

Political donations don't come with a right to privacy, and Mr. VanderSloot might have expected a spotlight. Then again, President Obama, in the wake of the Gabby Giffords shooting, gave a national address calling for "civility" in politics. Yet rather than condemn those demeaning his opponent's donors, Mr. Obama—the nation's most powerful man—instead publicly named individuals, egging on the attacks. What has followed is the slimy trolling into a citizen's private life.

Mr. VanderSloot acknowledges that "when I first learned that President Obama's campaign had singled me out on his 'enemies list,' I knew it was like taping a target on my back." But the more he's thought it through, "the public beatings and false accusations that followed are no deterrent. These tactics will not work in America." He's even "contemplating a second donation."

Still. If details about Mr. VanderSloot's life become public, and if this hurts his business or those who work for him, Mr. Obama will bear responsibility. This is what happens when the president makes a list.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 05:32:33 AM »
And Mitt Romney is the bully?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 05:38:56 AM »
Opposition research sucks, but it's a part of every race and is done by both parties.

It's going over the line here - trying to discredit DONORS.   But even on getbig, we've had threads about "Obama donors arrested for this and that".

Sucks, but it's how politics works and both sides so it, and we silly getbiggers repeat it here too.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 06:57:18 AM »
Opposition research sucks, but it's a part of every race and is done by both parties.

It's going over the line here - trying to discredit DONORS.   But even on getbig, we've had threads about "Obama donors arrested for this and that".

Sucks, but it's how politics works and both sides so it, and we silly getbiggers repeat it here too.

Jesus Christ, will you shut the fuck up and go pollute another thread? Every time that I read something you post on here lately it feels like my brain cells are dying.

240= could rationalize Obama killing a squirrel, having sex with its dead body and eating it as some sort of pro life, green jobs initiative that will help keep the timber in our forests safe from multinational corporations that want to exploit rodents for political gain.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 07:32:15 AM »
Businessman Says He Lost Hundreds of Customers After Attacks by Obama Campaign -- (Obama Hit List)
The Weekly Standard ^ | 5/12/2012 | Daniel Halper
Posted on May 12, 2012 10:15:21 AM EDT by GVnana

Businessman Says He Lost Hundreds of Customers After Attacks by Obama Campaign

Obama's enemies list is working

Businessman Frank Vandersloot, the CEO of Melaleuca, has been targeted by the Obama campaign after donating money to Mitt Romney's presidential campaign. "Three weeks ago, an Obama campaign website, 'Keeping GOP Honest,' took the extraordinary step of publicly naming and assailing eight private citizens backing Mr. Romney," Kim Strassel of the Wall Street Journal reported.

Titled 'Behind the curtain: a brief history of Romney's donors,' the post accused the eight of being 'wealthy individuals with less-than-reputable records.' Mr. VanderSloot was one of the eight, smeared particularly as being 'litigious, combative and a bitter foe of the gay rights movement.'"

The attacks are working. Vandersloot revealed in an interview on Fox News that his business practice is being hurt by the attacks from the Obama team.

"Those people that I know well weren't affected by this [attack]," said Vandersloot. "But for people who didn't know me, who are members of our business or customers, and they were reading this, then we got a barrage of phone calls of people cancelling their customer memberships with us."

(Excerpt) Read more at weeklystandard.com ...

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 07:33:13 AM »
Jesus Christ, will you shut the fuck up and go pollute another thread? Every time that I read something you post on here lately it feels like my brain cells are dying.

240= could rationalize Obama killing a squirrel, having sex with its dead body and eating it as some sort of pro life, green jobs initiative that will help keep the timber in our forests safe from multinational corporations that want to exploit rodents for political gain.

Sad, isn't it? He's a pathetic fuck.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 07:38:54 AM »
Sad, isn't it? He's a pathetic fuck.

He is.   He whines when I call him out now, but really?   He has morphed into an Obama clone.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 09:05:00 AM »
I see no problem with the Obama campaign informing the public who is donating money to his opponent

Are they ashamed to be supporting Romney?

All donors should be public information

We should be allowed to know who is writing checks to influence our elections

Unless the Obama campaign said somethign about these men that is untrue then I see no problem here at all

btw - the story at the beginning of this thread is from the WSJ so it's not exactly being ignored by the MSM

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 09:08:32 AM »
I see no problem with the Obama campaign informing the public who is donating money to his opponent
Unless the Obama campaign said somethign about these men that is untrue then I see no problem here at all
btw - the story at the beginning of this thread is from the WSJ so it's not exactly being ignored by the MSM

Lol.   Yeah, Obama is a unified and positive voice.   ::)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 09:09:35 AM »

Lol.   Yeah, Obama is a unified and positive voice.   ::)

what does that have to do with the topic?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 09:26:13 AM »
Am I missing something?  The president has a list?  uh... actually everyone has the same list.  It's available to anyone that wants to see it, even online.  Is it even a new thing that campaigns get attacked for who is on that list?  hell no, that happens all the time too. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 09:31:55 AM »

unheard of!!!!  The right would never attack someone for donating money to a dem.  It's never happened lol....  except for the fact that it happens all the time.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 10:32:54 PM »
unheard of!!!!  The right would never attack someone for donating money to a dem.  It's never happened lol....  except for the fact that it happens all the time.

Name a time in the recent past where a GOP candidate for anything has directly targeted democratic campaign donors by publicizing their personal information or making their names public.

These "common knowledge" proclamations made by numbskulled sheep to the effect of "nobody is better than anybody else and everybody is the best at everything", has to stop. How about some actual, factual evidence?

Yeah I know, get the money out of politics, the republicans are as bad as the democrats, Hugo Chavez was kidding when he said he wanted to fuck the corpse of Simon Bolivar-- etc. etc.---  ::)

Show me something besides your feeble minded attempt to perpetuate a lie because your too stupid to do your own research.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 09:44:15 AM »
I don't see any issue here

why would someone give hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars to Romney and then feel so ashamed they don't want the public to know about it

btw - we never heard a peep from Repubs when this guy gave Obama's PAC a million bucks

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 07:10:12 PM »
Pretty disturbing stuff.  How the heck does a private citizen fight back against the POTUS?  They absolutely have to bring this up during the debates.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 07:16:49 PM »
Pretty disturbing stuff.  How the heck does a private citizen fight back against the POTUS?  They absolutely have to bring this up during the debates.

Getting this ghetto communist thug creep put pf office is my top priority.  He and those who voted for him are a national threat and danger to pur existence.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 03:18:14 AM »
Getting this ghetto communist thug creep put pf office is my top priority.  He and those who voted for him are a national threat and danger to pur existence.

And yet all you do is write on a bodybuilder/politics board ::)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 01:04:02 PM »

why would they want to hide their identity and why should they be allowed to (I presume no laws were broken  in revealing their names)

Are they ashamed of their actions?

The public should have a right to know who is pumping money into our political system.

I see no problem with this at all

just more bellyaching and crying victim from a the Repubs

Repubs called Mahers donation "dirty money" as if somehow he shouldn't be allowed to give money to the candidate of his choice while guys like the Koch brother who make money by polluting and poisoning our planet are god like figures to  Repubs

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 01:25:38 PM »

spoken like the closet commie that you truly are

why do you support secrecy in political donations

how do you know that real communists (not the imaginary ones that invade your dreams at night) are not trying to influence our elections

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 01:32:43 PM »
He may be a private citizen, but his company Melaleuca is a very public one.

Why should people not know the history of an MLM company, especially one whose products they may be a consumer of.

Melaleuca has a long history of litigation, some of which they initiated, some of which they were on the receiving end of. As a public company, this information is freely available, and should not be considered sacrosanct.

As someone who has earned her living in this industry, I consider it important to know where the profits my efforts generate end up. I see it as no different than people calling attention to the Fed. I'm sure none of you enjoy working your butts off, only to be taxed, and taxed, and taxed, ...to see your hard earned money squandered and collected in order to be dispersed to the private share holders of the FED.

There's nothing wrong with this kind of transparency.

Now if only Melaleuca will fix it's comp plan, in order to fulfill the industry promise of allowing people to retire once they reach a certain benchmark. It seems whenever someone sets a goal for themselves of say $20K - $30K per month in passive residual income, and they hit that benchmark, and simply want to kick back, enjoy life, and spend time with their families, ...they change the comp plan forcing them to have to go out and do more in order to qualify for their check.

...or even worse, ...when someone maximizes the comp plan, and can no longer generate anymore income, they lose their checks if they start generating income elsewhere through another venture. That is just simply plain wrong!
w

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2012, 01:40:40 PM »
He may be a private citizen, but his company Melaleuca is a very public one.

Why should people not know the history of an MLM company, especially one whose products they may be a consumer of.

Melaleuca has a long history of litigation, some of which they initiated, some of which they were on the receiving end of. As a public company, this information is freely available, and should not be considered sacrosanct.

As someone who has earned her living in this industry, I consider it important to know where the profits my efforts generate end up. I see it as no different than people calling attention to the Fed. I'm sure none of you enjoy working your butts off, only to be taxed, and taxed, and taxed, ...to see your hard earned money squandered and collected in order to be dispersed to the private share holders of the FED.

There's nothing wrong with this kind of transparency.

Now if only Melaleuca will fix it's comp plan, in order to fulfill the industry promise of allowing people to retire once they reach a certain benchmark. It seems whenever someone sets a goal for themselves of say $20K - $30K per month in passive residual income, and they hit that benchmark, and simply want to kick back, enjoy life, and spend time with their families, ...they change the comp plan forcing them to have to go out and do more in order to qualify for their check.

...or even worse, ...when someone maximizes the comp plan, and can no longer generate anymore income, they lose their checks if they start generating income elsewhere through another venture. That is just simply plain wrong!

who cares about their MLM comp plan

this is about transparency of political donations

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2012, 01:43:02 PM »
who cares about their MLM comp plan

this is about transparency of political donations

LOL - you mean like Obama turning off the credit card verification protocls on internet donations?