Author Topic: World champion swimmer dies at 26 after having massive heart attack  (Read 22990 times)

bradistani

• Getbig V
fuck an heart attack at only 26. an elite athlete as well. i think maybe that modern training techniques are so good, that they're surpassing what the human body, or heart, to be specific, can cope with. i think roids are doubtful, but you never know.

World champion swimmer dies at 26 after having massive heart attack as he showered at training camp

• Norwegian Alexander Dale Oen dedicated World Championship Gold to the 77 victims of mass murderer Anders Breivik
  • He was world 100m breaststroke champion and silver medalist at Beijing Olympics
  • Swimmers found his dead when he didn't come out of shower after training in Flagstaff, Arizona
  • Tributes pour in from around the world
[/b]

Alexander Dale Oen, a world champion swimmer who was one of Norway's top medal hopes for the London Olympics, has died of a heart attack after a practice session in Arizona. He was 26.

Dale Oen, who took an emotional men's 100 metres breaststroke gold medal at last year's world championships in Shanghai, had been attending a training camp in the town of Flagstaff.

A silver medallist at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, he had just finished a 'light' swim at the high-altitude aquatic centre when he collapsed in his bathroom.

Tragic death: Alexander Dale Oen was found collapsed in a bathroom after colleagues noticed he had been longer than usual

The Norwegian Swimming Federation said Dale Oen had only a light training session on Monday and played golf earlier that day.

But teammates became worried when the swimmer spent an unusually long time in the shower and entered his bathroom after he failed to respond to their knocks on the door.

Mourning: Northern Arizona Univesity Wall Aquatic Center, in Flagstaff, where Dale Oen died

World champion: Dale Oen won gold in Shanghai just days after Anders Breivik massacred 77 people in Norway, right. Left, He prepares for the Men's 50m Breaststroke semi final at the same competition

Man of action: Dale Oen competes in the semi final of the men's 100m Breaststroke competition World Championships in Shanghai

The federation said 'they found Dale Oen laying partly on the floor, partly on the edge of his bathtub.'

Team doctor Ola Roensen was among the first on the scene and immediately began performing CPR until an ambulance arrived.

'Everything was done according to procedure, and we tried everything, so it is immensely sad that we were not able to resuscitate him,' Roensen said. 'It is hard to accept.'

He was taken to the Flagstaff Medical Centre, where he was pronounced dead.

'We're all in shock,' Norway Coach Petter Loevberg said. 'This is an out-of-the-body experience for the whole team over here. Our thoughts primarily go to his family who have lost Alexander way too early.'

'He died suddenly, without warning on Monday evening local time while with the swimming team in Flagstaff, USA,' the Olympic Committee and Norwegian Swimming Federation said in a statement. 

'My thoughts go first and foremost to his family in Oygarden,' Per Rune Eknes, president of the Norwegian Swimming Federation said in a statement.   

'This is the toughest day the sport of swimming in Norway has ever had.'

Hospital spokeswoman Starla Collins confirmed the death, but did not provide further details.

Dale Oen won the 100-metre breaststroke in Shanghai last July and took silver at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

His triumph in Shanghai came just three days after the massacre in Norway by right-wing extremist Anders Breivik that killed 77 people.

Dale Oen dedicated the win to the victims of that massacre, pointing to the Norwegian flag on his cap after the finish to send a message to his countrymen back home.

'We need to stay united,' he said after the race.

'Everyone back home now is of course paralysed with what happened but it was important for me to symoblise that even though I'm here in China, I'm able to feel the same emotions.'

In his last tweet on Monday, Dale Oen said he was looking forward to going back home: '2 days left of our camp up here in Flagstaff, then it's back to the most beautiful city in Norway... #Bergen.'

Dale Oen was born in Bergen, Norway's second largest city, on May 21, 1985. He was the second son of Mona Lillian Dale and Ingolf Oen.

He started swimming at age 4, and said on his website that the sport 'came very easy and natural for me.'

He is the second high-profile athlete to die from cardiac arrest recently, after Italian football player Piermario Morosini collapsed on the pitch during a Serie B game for Livorno last month.

That incident came just a month after Bolton midfielder Fabrice Muamba also collapsed during a game, but survived.

'It feels unreal that Alexander Dale Oen is no longer with us,' Norwegian skiing champion Aksel Lund Svindal, the two-time overall world Cup champion, said on Twitter. 'My thoughts go out to his family, friends and his whole team in Flagstaff.'

Keri-Anne Payne, the 10-kilometer open water world champion from Britain, said: 'Such sad news for swimming.'

ALEXANDER DALE OEN: THE LIFE OF A CHAMPION
Man of action: Dale Oen competes in the semi-final of the World Championships in Shanghai

1985: Born May 21, in Oygarden, Norway.

1989: Begins swimming at the age of four and soon joins a local swimming club.

2003: Enjoys first competition success with a silver medal at the European Junior Championships.

2004: Qualifies for the Athens Olympics, finishes 21st overall in the 100-metre breaststroke.

2005: July - International recognition comes with a seventh place in the 100m breaststroke final at the World Aquatics Championships.
December - Becomes first Norwegian to swim the 100m breaststroke in under a minute.

2006: April - Wins bronze in the 100m breaststroke at the FINA Short Course World Championships in Shanghai.
August - Wins 100m breaststroke silver at the European Swimming Championships in Budapest.

2008: March - Posts European record time of 59.76 seconds as he takes 100m breaststroke gold at the European Championships in Eindhoven.
August - Wins Olympic silver in the 100m breaststroke final in Beijing to secure Norway's first ever swimming medal at the Summer Games.

2011: July - Becomes 100m breaststroke world champion, taking gold in a time of 58.71secs at the World Championships in Shanghai.

2012: April 30 - Dies of a suspected cardiac arrest at a training camp in Flagstaff, Arizona.

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!

Norwegian  ::)

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Add to this the footballers who have had heart attacks lately.I read an article recently that hinted it may be due to pre-workout type drinks that athletes are drinking,similar to red bull etc.

bradistani

• Getbig V
Add to this the footballers who have had heart attacks lately.I read an article recently that hinted it may be due to pre-workout type drinks that athletes are drinking,similar to red bull etc.

that's what i was thinking regarding the footballers.

modern athletes have access to what is probably the best in the world in healthcare and physio. hard to imagine any serious heart defects going undetected.

this may start being more common as athletes get even fitter (is that possible?) and supps enable them to train even harder.

simon

• Getbig III
EPO?   if so.........lhigh hemocrit/RBC, highly viscous blood = heart attack

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
This is what i read,might be a valid point.

"Ban isotonic drinks, red bull and their variations. The ingredients widen heart arteries during training or game play, forcing more blood through the valves, which is causing erratic heart beats which in some cases are leading to cardiac arrest. They call it SADS so as the sponsors dont get sued - this poison was not in the sports arena 10 to 15 years ago, players did not swallow this much by the liter. Today they are dropping like flies from the ages of 12 upwards, and if checked, all affected players will be revealed to have been consuming this cocktail to enhance energy levels."

RustyTrenbolona

• Getbig IV
  • ...but it's just an empty sandwich bag...
im i safe with coffee? could this happen to me? hope it doesnt happen to me. me. me. me.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
EPO?   if so.........lhigh hemocrit/RBC, highly viscous blood = heart attack

In the early 90's yes, but cats have been using EPO for 20+ years now- hard to believe they could F-up the dose that bad.
a

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
 It's a given that some substance has some part in this.

RustyTrenbolona

• Getbig IV
  • ...but it's just an empty sandwich bag...
its gotta be high dose tren

simon

• Getbig III
Re: World champion swimmer dies at 26 after having massive heart attack
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 09:41:21 AM »
In the early 90's yes, but cats have been using EPO for 20+ years now- hard to believe they could F-up the dose that bad.

More likely than blaming it on a couple hundreds milligrams of caffeine

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 09:44:35 AM »
Agreed.  Caffeine did not kill this guy. Since he is from Norway I doubt we ever get the true cause of death. 
a

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 09:45:19 AM »
It can't be the energy drinks... if they're not safe, coffee isn't safe, and I find that very hard to believe, because coffee has been one of the most widely used products on the planet.  If fatasses across the world can consume it and not drop dead, caffeine should not be causing the most conditioned athletes in the world to expire.  Now, combined with other stimulants...sure, that could be problematic, but caffeine alone has been used as a workout aid forever.

Baseball players have been using stimulants forever (greenies, reds, etc...), and guys aren't/weren't dropping dead.

NHL had/has widespread abuse of stimulants forever (from adderal to snorting sudafed) and guys aren't dropping dead.

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 09:50:12 AM »
It can't be the energy drinks... if they're not safe, coffee isn't safe, and I find that very hard to believe, because coffee has been one of the most widely used products on the planet.  If fatasses across the world can consume it and not drop dead, caffeine should not be causing the most conditioned athletes in the world to expire.  Now, combined with other stimulants...sure, that could be problematic, but caffeine alone has been used as a workout aid forever.

Baseball players have been using stimulants forever (greenies, reds, etc...), and guys aren't/weren't dropping dead.

NHL had/has widespread abuse of stimulants forever (from adderal to snorting sudafed) and guys aren't dropping dead.

Fattasses as u call them , dont push their cardio systems to the limit

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 10:00:01 AM »
Swimming yeah

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 10:02:03 AM »
damn, and swimming isn't even that hard

must have been faulty wiring in the shower

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 10:02:22 AM »
they gotta ban these sports

Reilly13

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 10:06:52 AM »
Is flagstaff at high elevation?

EPO, being dehydrated from playing golf outside the day before and high elevation

EDIT  yep 6000 + fee above sea level

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 10:08:21 AM »
This is what i read,might be a valid point.

"Ban isotonic drinks, red bull and their variations. The ingredients widen heart arteries during training or game play, forcing more blood through the valves, which is causing erratic heart beats which in some cases are leading to cardiac arrest. They call it SADS so as the sponsors dont get sued - this poison was not in the sports arena 10 to 15 years ago, players did not swallow this much by the liter. Today they are dropping like flies from the ages of 12 upwards, and if checked, all affected players will be revealed to have been consuming this cocktail to enhance energy levels."

interesting. so if the heart is already at its limit, then it could be fatal, as we're seeing more and more..

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 10:19:23 AM »
There's got to be more government involvement. I mean, I watch cable news and they dictate to me what needs to be done.

They're not a business that sensationalizes whatever they need to for ratings/money. They are the bottom line in morality.

And just like I followed the media's lead in the Trayvon Martin case I'll go along with whatever the popular opinion is.

Conflict is TOUGH, better to go along with what people in the media with their own agenda want.

I changed my whole GB persona when a pro bb fought fire with fire and suggested I was the R word.

Now I'm just following CNN, MSNBC, gotta get along.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 10:41:48 AM »
Can happen - genetics, pressure, training, meds.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 12:00:07 PM »
that's what i was thinking regarding the footballers.

modern athletes have access to what is probably the best in the world in healthcare and physio. hard to imagine any serious heart defects going undetected.

this may start being more common as athletes get even fitter (is that possible?) and supps enable them to train even harder.

Heart defects are very difficult to detect, even with todays technology.  But to be honest, when its your time to go then its time to go.
A

Nomad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 12:37:20 PM »
following the gods principles

megadosa ephedrina....drop dead
all drugs - TPPIIP

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 02:14:47 PM »
Agreed.  Caffeine did not kill this guy. Since he is from Norway I doubt we ever get the true cause of death. 

caffiene couldve caused enough vascular contriction coupled with increased fibrinogen levels after training=potential heart attack
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 02:16:41 PM »
It can't be the energy drinks... if they're not safe, coffee isn't safe, and I find that very hard to believe, because coffee has been one of the most widely used products on the planet.  If fatasses across the world can consume it and not drop dead, caffeine should not be causing the most conditioned athletes in the world to expire.  Now, combined with other stimulants...sure, that could be problematic, but caffeine alone has been used as a workout aid forever.

caffiene clinches down on the blood flow, it is NOT a vasodialator

fat people dont push there bodies hard like athletes

athletes fuck up when they use stimulants to push even harder

i used a shitload of ephedirine and caffiene in my early 20's and late teens that shit didnt fuck me up till my mid and late 20's
A