Author Topic: Why You Should Consider Routine Mammograms:  (Read 2524 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Why You Should Consider Routine Mammograms:
« on: May 02, 2012, 03:45:16 PM »
Disclaimer:
The Susan G. Komen foundation is a legitimate organization. They’ve come under fire from some folks for their past affiliation with Planned Parenthood. Most recently, they’ve drawn the ire of other people after publicly severing their ties with Planned Parenthood earlier this year.

Basically, they’ve managed to piss of EVERYONE between 2005 and now.

I don’t want to turn this into a political/moral discussion. Politics aside, Komen provides many services to women across the country. Their website contains educational literature and information on services they offer. I do not personally endorse or condemn the Komen foundation; I merely list it here as a reference. Regardless of what reputable resources you use, I encourage ALL WOMEN to broaden their knowledge and heighten their thinking on the topic of breast cancer awareness!

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ____

Many Women Do Not Get Regular Mammograms

Despite professional recommendations and public support in favor of regular mammography, only about half of US women get an annual mammogram, even if they have insurance to cover the test. These results were presented at the 2010 San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium.
The age at which mammographic screening should begin has recently been a subject of debate. The American Cancer Society continues to recommend that women at average risk of breast cancer begin mammographic screening at the age of 40. The US Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF), however, recently recommended against routine mammographic screening of women in their 40s; instead, they recommend that screening begin at 50 and be performed every two years rather than annually.
Due to strong public reaction against the updated USPSTF recommendations, researchers became curious about how many women were actually getting regular mammograms. To determine mammography rates, researchers reviewed information on use of mammography from a database of more than 12 million people. Data used included mammography screening from January 2006 through December 2009. All participants had employer-provided insurance or were on Medicare.
In any given year, only 50% of women aged 40 to 85 years had a mammogram.
Of women aged 40 to 85, only 60% had two or more mammograms over four years.
Average annual mammography rates were as follows: 47% for women aged 40 to 49 years, 54% for women aged 50 to 64, and 45% for women aged 65 or older.
These findings indicate that many women do not receive regular mammograms, even if they are insured. Though this study did not investigate reasons why women may not get mammograms, it has been thought that discomfort from the test and lack of available screening centers may be among the reasons that some women do not undergo this screening.
Reference: Subar M, Lust SA, Lin W. Compliance with mammographic screening guidelines from an administrative claims database. Presented at the 33rd annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, December 8-12, 2010. Abstract S4-7.

http://ww5.komen.org/Content.aspx?id=6442452934

Find A Grant

Komen for the Cure Affiliates make grants to support local programs that meet the needs of women, men, and families affected by breast cancer today. To learn more about the community programs supported by Komen for the Cure , search below by keyword, location, or both.

http://ww5.komen.org/FindAGrant.aspx

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Why You Should Consider Routine Mammograms:
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 05:17:57 PM »
SAVE THE BOOBIES!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Why You Should Consider Routine Mammograms:
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 06:01:46 PM »
It's alarming the number of women who neglect breast exams; particularly when Tony is willing to give freebies and even make housecalls!

Seriously, I've known several women who've had scares over the years with masses found during mammograms.
Most recently, a good friend of mine is dealing with a considerable cause for concern. I'm fortunate enough to have some knowledgeable and reliable contacts in different areas of the medical field, and we steered her in the right direction for addressing her situation.