Author Topic: Chen: I sort of feel like the U.S. Govt lied to me.  (Read 1644 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Chen: I sort of feel like the U.S. Govt lied to me.
« on: May 02, 2012, 06:15:33 PM »
Skip to comments.

Chen: I can’t help feeling like the U.S. lied to me “a little”
HotAir ^ | May 2, 2012 | ALLAHPUNDIT   
Posted on May 2, 2012 8:59:32 PM EDT by Hojczyk

He looked reasonably cheerful in photos with U.S. officials after the deal was made. Then, just a few hours later, he told CNN, “We are in danger. If you can talk to Hillary, I hope she can help my whole family leave China.”

The most logical explanation for the sudden turnabout is that China reneged on its deal with the U.S. once they had Chen back in custody, but that would be a huge betrayal at a moment when Hillary’s in the country for talks on a variety of issues.

I guess it’s possible that the State Department really did lie to him about the deal to get him out the front door of the embassy, on the theory that preserving good relations between the U.S. and China is more important than saving one dissident from Beijing’s police state. That’s hard to believe, though. If it’s true, it would destroy O’s credibility as a bulwark against China among the Far Eastern nations he’s been courting lately.

And if someone in the Department leaked to the media about it, it’d be a huge domestic embarrassment for him and serious campaign artillery for Romney and the GOP. In fact, here’s Boehner’s statement this afternoon hammering O even at a moment when events are in flux:

“Like millions of other Americans, I have followed the story of Chen Guangcheng with admiration for his courage and concern for his safety and that of his family. I am deeply disturbed by the most recent report by the Associated Press, which suggests Chen Guangcheng was pressured to leave the U.S. embassy against his will amid flimsy promises and possible threats of harm to his family.

In such a situation, the United States has an obligation to stand with the oppressed, not with the oppressor.

(Excerpt) Read more at hotair.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Chen: I sort of feel like the U.S. Govt lied to me.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 07:37:24 PM »
Chinese Activist 'Very Disappointed' in the U.S., Says Officials Lied To Him
The Atlantic ^ | May 2, 2012 | Max Fisher
Posted on May 2, 2012 10:15:05 PM EDT by Free ThinkerNY

A little over 12 hours after blind Chinese activist Chen Guangcheng was released from the U.S. embassy in Beijing, which he had fled to after escaping house arrest, Chen now says that American officials encouraged him to leave the safe haven of the embassy building, in part by making promises that they failed to keep.

In an interview with CNN's Steven Jiang, he expressed deep disappointment with the U.S. and with President Barack Obama personally.

He said that embassy officials were no longer picking up his calls and that he already felt his rights being "violated" by the Chinese government, which had promised him his freedom in exchange for him leaving the embassy.

He strenuously and repeatedly asked the U.S. and Obama to help him and his family leave China.

The interview portrays Chen as furious at the U.S., which he had only 24 hours ago seen as his greatest hope, and portrays the Obama administration as having sold out the high-profile activist, who in 2005 made an enemy of the Chinese government when he campaigned against thousands of forced abortions and forced sterilizations.

The interview, initially published on Jiang's verified blogspot account, has since been removed. Neither he nor CNN appear to have explained why. (Update: Jiang, on Twitter, says he removed the interview to re-post it later as part of a larger CNN.com story.)

(Excerpt) Read more at theatlantic.com ...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 08:27:41 PM »
we're now in the business of giving aid to criminals from other counties?

he knew the chinese law against his actions - he chose to do them anyway.

He was imprisoned as per the law of the land.

WHen he asked for help, obama ordered them to scoot him out the door - WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?

I guarantee... if a criminal escaped from a jail in New York.... and he ran to the chinese embassy, we'd damn sure expect them to scoot him out the door so we could put him back in jail.

If China decided they would fly american convicts out of the country, we'd be PISSED>

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 08:48:52 PM »
Is he a Muslim terrorist or a Muslim with extremist sympathies? No, so Obama doesn't care. Silly Chen thinking the Usurper cares about human rights, haha.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 08:54:08 PM »
Obama and his whole criminal regime should burn in hell for this.

What a disgrace.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 09:30:24 PM »
LOL at the right wingers on this board suddenly all for immigration, if only for one chinese guy and his family

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 06:21:54 AM »
Chen Guangcheng Ignored by Hillary Clinton

8:05 AM, May 3, 2012 • By DANIEL HALPER

Chen Guangcheng, the blind Chinese dissident who briefly took refuge in the U.S. embassy, recently expressed his hope that Secretary of State Hillary Clinton would rescue him. "My fervent hope is that it would be possible for me and my family to leave for the U.S. on Hillary Clinton’s plane," Chen told the Daily Beast.

But that doesn't seem likely: Clinton, who is in China now, completely ignored Chen in her remarks as part of the so-called U.S.-China Strategic and Economic Dialogue. She did not mention him once.

Clinton briefly mentioned human rights, however, but merely in a vague, passive way.

"Now of course, as part of our dialogue, the United States raises the importance of human rights and fundamental freedoms because we believe that all governments do have to answer to citizens’ aspirations for dignity and the rule of law, and that no nation can or should deny those rights," Clinton said, without bringing up specific cases where the Chinese government violated the rights of its citizens. "As President Obama said this week, a China that protects the rights of all its citizens will be a stronger and more prosperous nation, and of course, a stronger partner on behalf of our common goals."

The meetings go on, so perhaps there is hope still for Chen.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 06:25:47 AM »
can someone explain this to me?

Yes, china's human rights violations are pretty shitty.  But it's the law there.  This guy KNEW the law.  He knew he'd be locked up for his actions.  Nothing different than any other protester breaking the law.

People  get mad that our leaders won't intervene - IN CHINA - and save an escaped convict?  If China gave safe haven to Bill Ayers, in their NYC embassy, we'd be ready for nuclear war.

I think obama/hilary getting involved in such a small matter and causing a huge incident would be way worse.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 09:00:21 AM »
I find it hysterical how the two biggest pieces of excrement on this board make light of this situation by referring to "immigration" and following the law.

This isn't  about immigration you fucking dweeb-- this is a man who has been tortured, beaten,  and threatened with execution while his family has been victimized; all for the horrible crime of speaking out against the evil Communist regime that rules his country. The Chinese government routinely kidnaps and murders its own citizens-- political dissidents, lawyers,-- anyone who dares to seek the rule of law and any form of freedom for the citizenry. Other atrocities include ( but are not limited to) harvesting the organs of political prisoners for sale on the black market, infanticide and forced sterilization. We look the other way ( for some bizarre reason) because of supposedly vital economic interests. And yet China fakes all of its numbers, is a huge supporter of North Korea, inflates its currency, spy's on us, tries to undermine our national interests around the world, steals our technology and props up our enemies. This in addition to the fact that China terrorizes its neighbors and is financing its military with our national debt.

Land of the free? Human Rights? Asylum? -- How about credibility? How about integrity? How about showing a fucking backbone for once in this piece of shits presidency? How can you sell out a blind human rights activist seeking medical attention?

This is a question of human decency. We should have done everything possible to help this man. Instead, we have made fools out of ourselves and thrown a defenseless man and his family to the wolves.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 09:12:13 AM »
I find it hysterical how the two biggest pieces of excrement on this board make light of this situation by referring to "immigration" and following the law.

This isn't  about immigration you fucking dweeb-- this is a man who has been tortured, beaten,  and threatened with execution while his family has been victimized; all for the horrible crime of speaking out against the evil Communist regime that rules his country. The Chinese government routinely kidnaps and murders its own citizens-- political dissidents, lawyers,-- anyone who dares to seek the rule of law and any form of freedom for the citizenry. Other atrocities include ( but are not limited to) harvesting the organs of political prisoners for sale on the black market, infanticide and forced sterilization. We look the other way ( for some bizarre reason) because of supposedly vital economic interests. And yet China fakes all of its numbers, is a huge supporter of North Korea, inflates its currency, spy's on us, tries to undermine our national interests around the world, steals our technology and props up our enemies. This in addition to the fact that China terrorizes its neighbors and is financing its military with our national debt.

Land of the free? Human Rights? Asylum? -- How about credibility? How about integrity? How about showing a fucking backbone for once in this piece of shits presidency? How can you sell out a blind human rights activist seeking medical attention?

This is a question of human decency. We should have done everything possible to help this man. Instead, we have made fools out of ourselves and thrown a defenseless man and his family to the wolves.

and there are probably a few hundred million other people in the country with similar stories not to mention many other countries all over the planet (one example would be Saudi Arabia)

Are we supposed to get involved with all of these people and who exactly is supposed to pay for it

How about a tax increase

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 09:14:45 AM »

How much time have you spent in China, exactly?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 11:28:13 AM »
White House is silent on fate of Chinese activist
 Associated Press ^ | May 3, 2012

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The White House is sidestepping questions about how the U.S. might resolve the predicament surrounding a blind Chinese activist who sought refuge in the American embassy and who no longer wants to remain China.

White House spokesman Jay Carney referred questions about asylum for the activist, Chen Guangcheng, to the State Department.

(Excerpt) Read more at hosted.ap.org ...

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 11:31:15 AM »
How much time have you spent in China, exactly?
Do you have pertinent information on this subject?
Serious question, not a flame, because I have absolutley zero clue how China operates.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 06:37:40 PM »
Free Republic
Browse · Search   Pings · Mail   News/Activism
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

An ugly day of american diplomacy
NY Post ^ | May 2, 2012 | benny avni
Posted on May 3, 2012 9:25:25 PM EDT by Coleus

The State Department painted it as an elegant way out of a ballooning crisis involving Chinese dissident Chen Guangcheng — but by day’s end, it looked like a disgraceful performance by US diplomats.

Initial reports had Chen so pleased by the deal that he told Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, “I want to kiss you.”

The agreement Clinton negotiated with Beijing yesterday supposedly allowed Cheng to stay in China and get medical attention, with the authorities guaranteeing his future safety.

But things started unraveling just hours after the compromise was inked. First, while State claims Chen never wanted to leave China, the dissident said he and his family would rather leave. And it looks like he was all but forced out of the US embassy, where he’d sought asylum.

A quick recap: Chen, a blind man, is a fierce critic of Beijing’s “one child” policy; he’s led lawsuits about the forced abortions and sterilizations it has produced. That activism landed him in jail for seven years, followed by constant harassment of him, his family and allies.

(Excerpt) Read more at nypost.com ...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 06:52:53 PM »
I agree it's complete fcked up how thigns are in China.  But it's how things are.

What do we do - accept ONE political prisoner?  How about 10?  how about a million?  Suppose obama helped one million political prisoners escape from China - I think getbiggers woudl be screaming from the rooftops about pissing off our money masters, opening up a can of worms, putting our noses where they don't belong, trying to be the police of the world, etc.

And if the roles were reversed - if Bill Ayers escaped from Rikers and the CHinese helped him escape to a non-extradition country, we'd be LIVID.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 08:37:44 PM »
Free Republic
Browse · Search   Pings · Mail   News/Activism
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

Destabilizes (Chen Guangcheng) China
The John Batchelor Show ^ | May 2, 2012 | John Batchelor
Posted on May 3, 2012 10:27:16 PM EDT by Hojczyk

Spoke China hands Gordon Chang, Perry Link, Kelley Currie, Ann Lee, Bob Fu, Joseph Sternberg, re the Chen Guangcheng crisis in Beijing to learn the the US Embassy had plenty of reason to know that Chen was threatened BEFORE he decided to leave the sanctuary of the U.S. Embassy and enter a Chinese hospital.

This is a major detail and will be the center of contention when Congress insistes upon hearings with China Ambassador Gary Locke and SecState HRC. What did you kno and when did you know it about threats to Chen's family by Chinese authorities? All this is dangerous detail on the timeline. State careers in the balance; Chen's life in the balance.

China relations with US in the balance. Gordon Chang makes excellent argument that Chen returning into China embrace now destabilizes China. Just 24 hours after POTUS Obama campaign stunt in Kabul, the China fiasco removes the Afghanistan headlines with a crisis in Beijing.

Chen reportedly tells Melinda Liu, Newsweek, that he and his family want to leave on HRC plane. Meanwhile, PRC demands an apology from US. How else can State mishandle this? Stay focused on White House.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 12:24:29 AM »

and there are probably a few hundred million other people in the country with similar stories not to mention many other countries all over the planet (one example would be Saudi Arabia)

Are we supposed to get involved with all of these people and who exactly is supposed to pay for it

How about a tax increase

Again your partisan stupidity ignores obvious reality. There are no people. This is one person. A courageous person who should have been protected-- if America still means anything anymore.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 02:31:18 AM »

+1

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 03:39:24 AM »
I think America should waterboard this Chen character.

He shouldn't be worried as long as he has nothing to hide.

G

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 04:10:13 AM »
someone address my point?

the guy broke china's law.   As screwed up as it is, it's their law.  He could have left china if he didn't like it.   Or he can protest and do the time.  He chose.

This whole walking into a US embassy (after a prison break), asking to fly out with Hilary?   Geez, if the roles were reversed, if a US Felon escaped Rikers and enjoyed a ride out of the USA on the plane ride of the chinese sec of state (or equal position) - we would be ANGRY.   

It's bullshit what china does, but it happens in dozens of other countries.   We're not smuggling prisoners out of Darfur - why in the world would do do so against the country keeping our economy afloat with billions in loans?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 06:33:01 AM »
Beacon No More? America Abandons Chen Guangcheng
May 3, 2012 6:03 PM EDT

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/05/03/beacon-no-more-america-abandons-chen-guangcheng.html

The U.S. left an injured blind man in the custody of his totalitarian oppressors, writes Kirsten Powers.

Does the United States still stand as a beacon of hope to the oppressed around the world? Human-rights lawyer and Chinese folk hero Chen Guangcheng thought we did. That’s why he risked his life to get to the United States Embassy in Beijing. But it was there he was betrayed for a few trillion shekels of yuan.

Human-rights activists around the world rejoiced when Chen—blind since birth—managed to escape house arrest and reach the perceived safety of the embassy. That relief turned to shock six days later, when the United States pressured Chen to leave, promising that they would stay with him in the hospital as he received treatment for injuries sustained during his escape.

Yet, Chen told CNN that once he reached the hospital the U.S. officials disappeared. Remember: he’s blind. The U.S. Embassy staff left an injured blind man who is an enemy of the state in the custody of his totalitarian oppressors. The State Department said today that the U.S. government has been in contact with Chen by phone and hopes to have a face-to-face meeting with him. So, they went from having him on American soil (the embassy) to not able to see him.

If only this was just incompetence. It seems so much worse.

Chai Ling, a former Tiananmen Square leader who escaped China in a cargo box, told me in an interview: “The U.S. Embassy wanted this ‘distraction’ to go away so they could get on with their business [of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s visit to China].” In other words, trade and economic deals couldn’t be hampered by a human-rights nuisance. In Ling’s testimony before Congress today on behalf of her organization All Girls Allowed, which fights China’s one-child policy, she called America’s treatment of Chen “shameful.”

“It has really shaken people’s trust in the U.S. We really completely botched it.”

A pro-democracy activist holds a picture of Chen Guangcheng during an event to collect signatures in support of the blind Chinese legal activist, in Hong Kong May 2, Kin Cheung / AP Photo

Now, Clinton and Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner are in China with this cloud of shame hanging over them. Every statement from the U.S. government has attempted to sell the implausible story that Chen chose to return to his captors. In a briefing from Beijing today, a Senior State Department spokesperson said that, “it was our agreement with the Chinese that they would do a full battery of physical tests today given concerns about the mistreatment and abuse he had had for months and years, and the need to do a full workup on him."

Who was responsible for the “mistreatment and abuse”? That would be the very government to which the U.S. Embassy handed Chen over. “Not only does the Chinese government have an appalling track record on human rights,” said Human Rights Watch Director Sophie Richardson in a statement, “but Chen himself has also already reported receiving threats to his family’s safety by government officials and fearing for his and their security.”

“Chen is revered and so loved in China,” Reggie Littlejohn, founder of the China-focused human-rights group Women Without Frontiers, told me. “When he got into embassy, so many people felt he was safe and they really felt it was the safest place in China. So now the embassy has done this and it has really shaken people's trust in the U.S. We really completely botched it.”

The Chinese people had a reason to expect the United States would offer a safe haven, because that’s exactly what they did in 1989 with Tiananmen Square leader Fang Li Zhi. The U.S. embassy protected Feng and his wife for a year and also negotiated for him to be re-united with his children. U.S. negotiations conducted by Henry Kissinger eventually meant that Fang and his family were able to leave China and finally settle in Arizona. So involved in the case was the U.S that, according to the Washington Post, Fang chose to go to the embassy “in the middle of the night after U.S. diplomats sent word that President George H.W. Bush had personally approved giving him, his wife and son, Fang De, sanctuary.”

Littlejohn told me, “When Chen was in the embassy he was there under U.S. protection. The logical response would be to bring whole family to the embassy.” Instead they pushed him out. Littlejohn says the only answer is for the U.S. to offer asylum to Chen, his family, and also the people who risked their lives to help him escape his house arrest.

Hillary Clinton has her work cut out for her now. Chen made a direct plea to her to take him and his family with her when she leaves.

If she leaves them behind, their blood will be on America’s hands.

Mind you - KP is a liberal Democrat.

FUCK YOU OBAMA!!!!!

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 08:19:22 AM »
Beacon No More? America Abandons Chen Guangcheng
May 3, 2012 6:03 PM EDT

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/05/03/beacon-no-more-america-abandons-chen-guangcheng.html

The U.S. left an injured blind man in the custody of his totalitarian oppressors, writes Kirsten Powers.

Does the United States still stand as a beacon of hope to the oppressed around the world? Human-rights lawyer and Chinese folk hero Chen Guangcheng thought we did. That’s why he risked his life to get to the United States Embassy in Beijing. But it was there he was betrayed for a few trillion shekels of yuan.

Human-rights activists around the world rejoiced when Chen—blind since birth—managed to escape house arrest and reach the perceived safety of the embassy. That relief turned to shock six days later, when the United States pressured Chen to leave, promising that they would stay with him in the hospital as he received treatment for injuries sustained during his escape.

Yet, Chen told CNN that once he reached the hospital the U.S. officials disappeared. Remember: he’s blind. The U.S. Embassy staff left an injured blind man who is an enemy of the state in the custody of his totalitarian oppressors. The State Department said today that the U.S. government has been in contact with Chen by phone and hopes to have a face-to-face meeting with him. So, they went from having him on American soil (the embassy) to not able to see him.

If only this was just incompetence. It seems so much worse.

Chai Ling, a former Tiananmen Square leader who escaped China in a cargo box, told me in an interview: “The U.S. Embassy wanted this ‘distraction’ to go away so they could get on with their business [of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s visit to China].” In other words, trade and economic deals couldn’t be hampered by a human-rights nuisance. In Ling’s testimony before Congress today on behalf of her organization All Girls Allowed, which fights China’s one-child policy, she called America’s treatment of Chen “shameful.”

“It has really shaken people’s trust in the U.S. We really completely botched it.”

A pro-democracy activist holds a picture of Chen Guangcheng during an event to collect signatures in support of the blind Chinese legal activist, in Hong Kong May 2, Kin Cheung / AP Photo

Now, Clinton and Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner are in China with this cloud of shame hanging over them. Every statement from the U.S. government has attempted to sell the implausible story that Chen chose to return to his captors. In a briefing from Beijing today, a Senior State Department spokesperson said that, “it was our agreement with the Chinese that they would do a full battery of physical tests today given concerns about the mistreatment and abuse he had had for months and years, and the need to do a full workup on him."

Who was responsible for the “mistreatment and abuse”? That would be the very government to which the U.S. Embassy handed Chen over. “Not only does the Chinese government have an appalling track record on human rights,” said Human Rights Watch Director Sophie Richardson in a statement, “but Chen himself has also already reported receiving threats to his family’s safety by government officials and fearing for his and their security.”

“Chen is revered and so loved in China,” Reggie Littlejohn, founder of the China-focused human-rights group Women Without Frontiers, told me. “When he got into embassy, so many people felt he was safe and they really felt it was the safest place in China. So now the embassy has done this and it has really shaken people's trust in the U.S. We really completely botched it.”

The Chinese people had a reason to expect the United States would offer a safe haven, because that’s exactly what they did in 1989 with Tiananmen Square leader Fang Li Zhi. The U.S. embassy protected Feng and his wife for a year and also negotiated for him to be re-united with his children. U.S. negotiations conducted by Henry Kissinger eventually meant that Fang and his family were able to leave China and finally settle in Arizona. So involved in the case was the U.S that, according to the Washington Post, Fang chose to go to the embassy “in the middle of the night after U.S. diplomats sent word that President George H.W. Bush had personally approved giving him, his wife and son, Fang De, sanctuary.”

Littlejohn told me, “When Chen was in the embassy he was there under U.S. protection. The logical response would be to bring whole family to the embassy.” Instead they pushed him out. Littlejohn says the only answer is for the U.S. to offer asylum to Chen, his family, and also the people who risked their lives to help him escape his house arrest.

Hillary Clinton has her work cut out for her now. Chen made a direct plea to her to take him and his family with her when she leaves.

If she leaves them behind, their blood will be on America’s hands.

Mind you - KP is a liberal Democrat.

FUCK YOU OBAMA!!!!!

I think Obama is an atrocious human being. GW Bush was not much better, but at least he loved his country and went to great lengths in order to showcase all of the great things America stands for. This is the first incident that I can recall in my adult life where I am honestly embarrassed to be an American. While our so called  "leaders" have taken actions in the past that tarnished the credibility of the United States, never has it been in such a public and blatant fashion.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 08:23:49 AM »
Obama did bow to the Chinese Premier remember? 

FUCK YOU OBAMA!!!!

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 08:25:24 AM »
Chen isn't a Muslim and he is against abortion. That's two strikes against him in the eyes of the Usurper. Anyone know the third?

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2012, 09:36:17 PM »
He has a good relationship with his non black father?