Author Topic: The Atheist Thread  (Read 89173 times)

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
The Atheist Thread
« on: May 03, 2012, 08:04:51 AM »
Hey there.

I know there are a lot of atheists here on Getbig, so I thought it would be cool to start a thread.

Post any quotes, pics or vids that appeal to you.

I'm always interested.

Here's one to kick us off.

G

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
Re: The Atheist Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 08:14:12 AM »
The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.  - Albert Einstein
G

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 08:16:16 AM »
Now let it be written in history and on Mr. Lincoln's tombstone: "He died an unbeliever."

William H. Herndon, Abraham Lincoln's law partner in Springfield since 1844, Abraham Lincoln: The True Story of a Great Life, 1896. Quoted in Freethinkers by Susan Jacoby, 2004.

A must read, BTW, for any atheist out there.
G

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 11:00:21 AM »
Why are so many atheists so insecure?

April 27, 2012 at 12:47 pm
Atheist group sues Rochester Hills country club over canceled speech
By Robert Snell
The Detroit News

Detroit— A Rochester Hills country club that canceled an appearance last fall by an internationally known atheist was sued in federal court Friday.

The Center for Inquiry-Michigan, an organization dedicated to secularism and science, sued Wyndgate Country Club for allegedly denying use of its facilities to the public based upon religious beliefs.

The center wants unspecified damages and to block the country club from discriminating against others for religious reasons, according to the lawsuit.

A club official could not be reached for comment immediately Friday.

The lawsuit stems from the country club canceling an appearance by internationally known atheist and author Richard Dawkins in October.

Dawkins was scheduled to speak at the country club Oct. 12 during an event sponsored by the Center for Inquiry-Michigan.

Dawkins' local supporters said the appearance was canceled after the country club's owner saw an Oct. 5 interview with Dawkins on "The O'Reilly Factor." During the interview, Dawkins discussed his new book, "The Magic of Reality: How We Know What's Really True."

The event's cancellation prompted supports to plan a protest against the country club.

A country club employee said the appearance was scrapped because "the owner (of the Wyndgate) does not wish to associate with certain individuals and philosophies," according to the lawsuit.

The club's owner, Larry Winget, is named as a defendant in the lawsuit.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120427/METRO02/204270403/1361/Atheist-group-sues-Rochester-Hills-country-club-over-canceled-speech

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 11:11:20 AM »
Why are some atheists so paranoid? 

Texas Movie Theater Refuses to Run Atheist Ad; Lawsuit to Follow?
By Michael Gryboski , Christian Post Reporter
May 3, 2012|7:02 am

A Texas movie theater has refused to run an ad by a local atheist organization, prompting some to consider a lawsuit against the business.
Angelika Film Center of Plano initially agreed to run an ad by Dallas-Fort Worth Coalition of Reason, but on the day before it was scheduled to run, the movie theater's leaders changed their mind.

Zachary Moore, coordinator of the DFWCR, told The Christian Post that his organization first attempted to advertise with another theater, the Movie Tavern in Arlington.

"The Movie Tavern has claimed that they have a policy against religious advertising, but such a policy has not been provided to us," said Moore.

"Following the cancellation of our contract with the Movie Tavern, we sought out a similar contract with the Angelika and was successful."

Angelika Film Center of Plano, Texas did not return a request for comments by press time.

Angelika Theater representatives reportedly told the atheist group that it won't run the ad due to the theater's position that no religious ads be allowed at the business. Moore, however, disputes Angelika's reasoning.

"Angelika has not made any such policy available to us, nor was this mentioned during our contract negotiation," said Moore.

"The Angelika has even refused to provide us with a written notice of our contract cancellation. As with the Movie Tavern, we have received reports of regular religious advertising at the Angelika."

The incident has prompted some, including the American Humanist Association, to threaten a lawsuit against Angelika under the premise that the theater violated DFWCR's rights by not airing its ad.

Stewart Thomas, a Dallas area attorney interviewed by CBS Dallas-Fort Worth, considered the potential case to be "very interesting" but expressed doubt that DFWCR had a good legal argument.

"t seems to me the public accommodation is to attend the theater and watch the movie, everyone has the right to watch the movie. I'm not sure the theater has to sell to anyone that wants to buy advertising," said Thomas.

DFWCR had originally planned to have the movie ad run during Good Friday and Easter. The organization's setbacks have been attributed by some to "Christian activists" in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/texas-movie-theater-refuses-to-run-atheist-ad-lawsuit-to-follow-74280/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 11:14:40 AM »
Why are some atheists so insensitive?

American Atheists Sue Over World Trade Center Cross
July 27, 2011
An atheist group sued today over the inclusion of cross-shaped steel beams, dubbed the "World Trade Center Cross," in the exhibit at the National September 11th Memorial and Museum.

Jane Everhart, who is part of the atheist's suit, derided the cross as nothing more than "ugly piece of wreckage" that "does not represent anything … but horror and death."

Last weekend the 17-foot cross, discovered in the rubble of 9/11, was given a "ceremonial blessing" by the Rev. Brian Jordan, removed from it's temporary post near St. Peter's Church and lowered 70 feet into its permanent home inside the museum.

But a group identified as American Atheists filed a lawsuit today claiming the inclusion of the cross-shaped steel beams promotes Christianity over all other religions on public property and diminishes the civil rights of non-Christians.

"The Christian community found a piece of rubble that looked like an icon and they deified it. But really 9/11 had nothing to do with Christianity," said American Atheists president Dave Silverman. "They want a monopoly and we don't want that to happen."

"It just so happens that the WTC was made out of T-joints and they found a T-joint," Silverman said. "They put it in the church, kept in the church for years, prayed over it, blessed it. You don't get to do that just in the coincidence that your icon looks like a T-joint."

Atheists Sue Over Cross in 9/11 Memorial and Museum

In a statement to ABCNews.com, the memorial foundation identified the cross as a "symbol of spiritual comfort for the thousands of recovery workers who toiled at ground zero," as well as an "authentic physical reminder" that "tell[s the story of 9/11 in a way nothing else can."

The atheist group said that they have contacted the 9/11 Memorial and Museum requesting to display their own atheistic memorial next to the steel-shaped cross, possibly in the form of an atom or an American flag, to represent the "500 non-religious Americans" who were "among the victims of the 9/11 attack."

The response, they claim, was "dead space."

Silverman also said that, "We have not heard of any other religious groups at all that have been allowed to put something up."

The 9/11 Memorial foundation told ABCNews.com that other religious artifacts will be included in the 9/11 Memorial Museum. A Star of David cut from WTC steel and a Bible fused to a piece of steel that was found during recovery efforts will both be on display in the same historical exhibition as the cross.

A Jewish prayer shawl, donated by a victim's family member, will be part of the museum's memorial exhibition.

The cross was moved into the exhibition earlier than the other artifacts due to its large size, according to the Memorial foundation.

. . .

http://abcnews.go.com/US/atheists-sue-cross-world-trade-center-museum/story?id=14169830

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 11:17:55 AM »
Why are some atheists so disrespectful?

Fallen Marine’s Wife Speaks Out on Cross Controversy, Says Atheist Group Is Not Showing Respect
by Fox and Friends     

Two, thirteen-foot crosses that stand on top of a hill at Camp Pendleton in California are now subject to removal because of an atheist group’s complaint. The crosses were were placed there by seven marines to honor their fallen friend. Three men who put up the crosses have died in the line of duty and their families are outraged by the atheist group’s pursuit. Karen Mendoza, whose husband helped build the memorial and was killed in combat in 2005, joined Fox & Friends to talk about her husband and the controversy.

She said, “The cross is very important not only to my personal family, but to my entire Marine Corps. family…” She continued by saying that she “was very sad” to learn about the cries to remove the crosses. “I was sad to hear that this group that claims to be American did not give this little sign of respect to our service members, not only to the fallen service members but to the service members that continue to serve our country so they’re allowed to voice their opinion. I feel like they are not really showing the respect that is needed.”

Speaking about her late husband, Karen said, “He would want people to look at this cross and to say it’s not about religion, it’s about sacrifice. It’s about remembering the fallen and going through the grieving process today altogether as a country.”

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2012/04/13/fallen-marines-wife-speaks-out-on-cross-controversy-says-atheist-group-is-not-showing-respect/

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 11:26:57 AM »
Have a blessed day atheists!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 04:25:25 PM »
funny, how atheist rant and rave about atheism not being a religion and then you start a thread about atheism on a RELIGION BOARD!!!

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 07:02:25 PM »
Have a blessed day atheists!
Thanks, buddy!

G

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 02:12:16 AM »
G

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 06:28:18 AM »
funny, how atheist rant and rave about atheism not being a religion and then you start a thread about atheism on a RELIGION BOARD!!!

someone has to oppose ignorance and evil, I have no problem combating religion and all of the vile shit it brings into this world. The fact that you find it odd that atheism would be on a religious board strikes me as ironic and somewhat idiotic. Where else would atheism be? it exists only due to religion, it's goal imo should be to enlighten people and free them of primitive thought and childish beliefs which are quite clearly the root of most of humanities problems.

I also, find it funny that beach bum can't formulate his own opinion and just copy and pastes non-sequitors, lol.

religion is a proven negative, even on society, why you cling to it I will never know, i guess comfort wins over logic for you.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 09:39:46 AM »
Why do atheists have churches with ordained ministers?  What's next, an atheist Bible?  Or do they already have one?

With the First Church of Atheism you can become ordained quickly, easily, and at no cost.

As a legally ordained minister, you will be able to perform weddings, funerals, commitment ceremonies, and other functions that are reserved for members of clergy.

Since its inception, the First Church of Atheism has amassed quite a following around the world. FCA ministers come from all walks of life. They are every race, ethnicity, age, and creed. The one thing binding every FCA minister is his or her belief in science, reason, and reality.

The First Church of Atheism wants you to pursue and cherish your realistic beliefs without interference from any outside agency, including government or church authority. We provide our service for free, as we believe it is every atheists right to perform these clergy functions.

You may become a legally ordained minister for life, without cost, and without question.

http://firstchurchofatheism.com/

godeep

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 12:05:51 PM »
I was born into a Southern Baptist family. As I got older and wiser, I had come to the conclusion that all religion was utter nonsense and proclaimed myself a devout atheist. That was until, I found my faith again...the Pastafarians and the Church of the FSM really have shown me the path to enlightenment
l

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 04:26:28 PM »
Why do atheists have churches with ordained ministers?  What's next, an atheist Bible?  Or do they already have one?

With the First Church of Atheism you can become ordained quickly, easily, and at no cost.

As a legally ordained minister, you will be able to perform weddings, funerals, commitment ceremonies, and other functions that are reserved for members of clergy.

Since its inception, the First Church of Atheism has amassed quite a following around the world. FCA ministers come from all walks of life. They are every race, ethnicity, age, and creed. The one thing binding every FCA minister is his or her belief in science, reason, and reality.

The First Church of Atheism wants you to pursue and cherish your realistic beliefs without interference from any outside agency, including government or church authority. We provide our service for free, as we believe it is every atheists right to perform these clergy functions.

You may become a legally ordained minister for life, without cost, and without question.

http://firstchurchofatheism.com/

Meltdown, lol.

go watch ben stein lie some more. Where are the transitional fossils brah? talking snakes, virgin births, walking on water etc.. you are right people with those beliefs should be unopposed, whats wrong with grown men believing in magic.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 12:17:57 PM »
Why are some atheists so angry?

why was my post deleted, who is the shitty moderator, WHO, WHO wont wear the ribbon?

fact of the matter is that these religious folk have no right blessing public property, why can't you guys just keep to yourselves? why do you think you have to right to do shit like this? just like the nativity scenes in washington, you are not special and deserve nothing.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 12:38:30 PM »

Let's be clear, there are many "religious folk" that are equally as angry all the time.  I think both angry parties become angry with those with differing beliefs that are genuinely content with their lives despite all the reasons that suggest they shouldn't be LOL.  Some chalk it up to "ignorance being bliss" and others stay angry because others "CAN'T GRASP WHY I'M RIGHT AND YOU'RE WRONG!!"   Many atheists and agnostics lead happy, peaceful lives because they belief there is nothing after they die other than to return to the cosmos that randomly formed them out of stardust.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 12:43:01 PM »
Let's be clear, there are many "religious folk" that are equally as angry all the time.  I think both angry parties become angry with those with differing beliefs that are genuinely content with their lives despite all the reasons that suggest they shouldn't be LOL.  Some chalk it up to "ignorance being bliss" and others stay angry because others "CAN'T GRASP WHY I'M RIGHT AND YOU'RE WRONG!!"   Many atheists and agnostics lead happy, peaceful lives because they belief there is nothing after they die other than to return to the cosmos that randomly formed them out of stardust.

I agree.  That's why I said "some."  One of my good buddies is atheist.  Great guy.  Happy.  Really smart.  A pleasure to be around.  He's married to an atheist, who is the same way. 

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 12:48:06 PM »
I agree.  That's why I said "some."  One of my good buddies is atheist.  Great guy.  Happy.  Really smart.  A pleasure to be around.  He's married to an atheist, who is the same way. 

You are correct, there are plenty of angry atheists....Getbig has a number of them.  It also has some peaceful atheists too....not many LOL, but some.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 03:00:32 PM »
You are correct, there are plenty of angry atheists....Getbig has a number of them.  It also has some peaceful atheists too....not many LOL, but some.

if you guys are basing character analysis based off a debate board on religious topics then i don't know what to tell you. I literally never talk about religion, am a doctor and help people everyday. I devote my life to others and reducing suffering, my gripe is alot of suffering in this world is due to religion and i will oppose something i deem evil with vitriol. It comprises all i hate, stupidity, faith, evil and irrationality, i see religion providing nothing novel.

there is nothing peaceful about people who believe i will burn in hell for not believing as you do, perhaps you guys should cast that judgement onto yourselves, not very christian of you to judge others, isn't that gods job. At least do me a solid and pretend to follow what you spew, your passive aggressive non-sense is not lost on me.

also, i see no reason to be kind to those who favor myth over reason nor see a reason why any atheist should put up with bullshit like homophobia etc. Beach bum claims to be christian yet this thread is a microcosm of his issues, he wishes not to discuss just attack, his posts in this thread alone bear that out. He also cannot think for himself as everything is a copy and paste. What noble lives you must lead, oh and beach bum if you didn't realize, which i'm sure you didn't my post was from seinfeld and the aids ribbon, it was a joke.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 03:19:03 PM »
if you guys are basing character analysis based off a debate board on religious topics then i don't know what to tell you. I literally never talk about religion, am a doctor and help people everyday. I devote my life to others and reducing suffering, my gripe is alot of suffering in this world is due to religion and i will oppose something i deem evil with vitriol. It comprises all i hate, stupidity, faith, evil and irrationality, i see religion providing nothing novel.

there is nothing peaceful about people who believe i will burn in hell for not believing as you do, perhaps you guys should cast that judgement onto yourselves, not very christian of you to judge others, isn't that gods job. At least do me a solid and pretend to follow what you spew, your passive aggressive non-sense is not lost on me.

also, i see no reason to be kind to those who favor myth over reason nor see a reason why any atheist should put up with bullshit like homophobia etc. Beach bum claims to be christian yet this thread is a microcosm of his issues, he wishes not to discuss just attack, his posts in this thread alone bear that out. He also cannot think for himself as everything is a copy and paste. What noble lives you must lead, oh and beach bum if you didn't realize, which i'm sure you didn't my post was from seinfeld and the aids ribbon, it was a joke.

I didn't say anything about anyone's character.

I rarely talk religion in real life either. 

I think you answered one of my questions about why some atheists are so angry:  you get angry with people who disagree with you.  You must be angry quite a bit.  lol 

What I posted (and will continue to post) are factual stories about paranoid anti-religious extremists.  More to follow.  Stay tuned.   :)

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 05:13:55 PM »
I didn't say anything about anyone's character.

I rarely talk religion in real life either. 

I think you answered one of my questions about why some atheists are so angry:  you get angry with people who disagree with you.  You must be angry quite a bit.  lol 

What I posted (and will continue to post) are factual stories about paranoid anti-religious extremists.  More to follow.  Stay tuned.   :)

you are passive aggressive, you quoted me and made the comment about angry atheists, thus implying i'm angry, and you formed it as a rhetorical question. I of course infer all of this immediately but you seem to either not realize you are being passive aggressive or are a coward and don't stand by what you speak.

I'm glad you post these stories, the whole bunch are stupid i just see a point or at least an ideal in the atheists actions that is noble, regardless of that it's a waste of time and idiotic. I'm not angry with people who disagree with me, i however, am angry at people who cannot concede points, who won't listen to logic and refuse to take others point of view.

I can admit god might exist, i can see where you are coming from, i have the sense of awe blah blah however, the religious have nothing of this trait, they simply have the answers and personally i feel there is no place in the future for closed minded bigots, maybe that's just me.Shit if evidence came out that hinted god might exist i'd jump on it, but on the flipside nothing can convince you otherwise. It must be nice having all the answers, especially to the most difficult questions, i'd call it arrogance, you call it faith.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 05:26:49 PM »
you are passive aggressive, you quoted me and made the comment about angry atheists, thus implying i'm angry, and you formed it as a rhetorical question. I of course infer all of this immediately but you seem to either not realize you are being passive aggressive or are a coward and don't stand by what you speak.

I'm glad you post these stories, the whole bunch are stupid i just see a point or at least an ideal in the atheists actions that is noble, regardless of that it's a waste of time and idiotic. I'm not angry with people who disagree with me, i however, am angry at people who cannot concede points, who won't listen to logic and refuse to take others point of view.

I can admit god might exist, i can see where you are coming from, i have the sense of awe blah blah however, the religious have nothing of this trait, they simply have the answers and personally i feel there is no place in the future for closed minded bigots, maybe that's just me.Shit if evidence came out that hinted god might exist i'd jump on it, but on the flipside nothing can convince you otherwise. It must be nice having all the answers, especially to the most difficult questions, i'd call it arrogance, you call it faith.

Don't have a clue what your first paragraph means.  You'll have to dumb it down some.  Quoting you is being passive aggressive??  I don't know if you're actually angry, but you certainly sound angry.  And bitter.    

Nothing noble at all about the stories I posted.  Just hypersensitive people with too much time on their hands.    

Wait, you're "not angry with people who disagree with" you, you're just angry with people who "refuse to take others point of view."  lol.  Seriously?  Dude.  Someone who refuses to take your point of view is someone who disagrees with you.  

I can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly don't have "all the answers."  Probably don't have most of them.   :)

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 05:47:38 PM »
Don't have a clue what your first paragraph means.  You'll have to dumb it down some.  Quoting you is being passive aggressive??  I don't know if you're actually angry, but you certainly sound angry.  And bitter.    

Nothing noble at all about the stories I posted.  Just hypersensitive people with too much time on their hands.    

Wait, you're "not angry with people who disagree with" you, you're just angry with people "refuse to take others point of view."  lol.  Seriously?  Dude.  Someone who refuses to take your point of view is someone who disagrees with you.  

I can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly don't have "all the answers."  Probably don't have most of them.   :)

yes, people who refuse to take others point of view are not worth anyone's time, in argument you always have to do this to gauge your position as well as glean insight.

no quoting me, clearly implying im angry then stating you never said anyone is angry is passive aggressive. I honestly don't care to respond any more as i can see where you are taking this via obfuscation. You seem to think unless you explicitly state something implication means nothing.

so one last time.

you quote me and state why are some atheists so angry,[

quote author=Beach Bum link=topic=424496.msg6103070#msg6103070 date=1336418277]

[/quote]

this implies i'm the angry atheist

this is the comment about character, then you stated you made no such inference. I'm fine with that. I am certainly angry towards religion, bitter no, but I truly detest something that enslaves minds and tells people how to think and offers absolute answers in an uncertain world. I truly see it as evil, i'm sure you are angry at pedophiles, rapists, murderers etc so if i was defending a pedophile i'm sure you would come off as angry.

disagree with me all you want, that does not anger me, however, if you simply refuse to acknowledge others points and have your mind made up that you won't concede it makes me angry and sad that people like you exist.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 05:55:07 PM »
yes, people who refuse to take others point of view are not worth anyone's time, in argument you always have to do this to gauge your position as well as glean insight.

no quoting me, clearly implying im angry then stating you never said anyone is angry is passive aggressive. I honestly don't care to respond any more as i can see where you are taking this via obfuscation. You seem to think unless you explicitly state something implication means nothing.

so one last time.

you quote me and state why are some atheists so angry,[

quote author=Beach Bum link=topic=424496.msg6103070#msg6103070 date=1336418277]

this implies i'm the angry atheist

this is the comment about character, then you stated you made no such inference. I'm fine with that. I am certainly angry towards religion, bitter no, but I truly detest something that enslaves minds and tells people how to think and offers absolute answers in an uncertain world. I truly see it as evil, i'm sure you are angry at pedophiles, rapists, murderers etc so if i was defending a pedophile i'm sure you would come off as angry.

disagree with me all you want, that does not anger me, however, if you simply refuse to acknowledge others points and have your mind made up that you won't concede it makes me angry and sad that people like you exist.

Ok.  Here is where you are confused:  saying you are angry isn't saying anything about your character.  Yes, I quoted you as an example of an angry atheist.  I have no idea what your character is like.   

You have a warped view of true Christianity.  It doesn't "enslave" minds or tell people what to think.  The true essence of Christianity is the exact opposite of what you say:  it's all about choice.  It's also about critical thinking, research, study, etc.