Author Topic: Obama and Biden caught in a vice on gay marriage. What's Bam's fav position?  (Read 1248 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
The Press Corps Just Hijacked The Regular White House Briefing And Clobbered President Obama On Gay Marriage

Brett LoGiurato|28 minutes ago|1,195|21

During the daily press briefing at the White House, Press Secretary Jay Carney was pummeled with questions surrounding about Joe Biden's comments supporting gay marriage on  "Meet the Press" yesterday.

On Sunday, Biden said he was "comfortable" with the concept of gay marriage and equal rights for gay couples.

On Monday, in a further attempt to clarify those remarks, Carney said that the Vice President Biden was expressing his "personal views."

"He has his own personal views on the issue, as does the President," Carney said.

Carney said Biden's comments caused "a little bit of an overreaction here," as the press corps fired question after question to him on the issue.

When pressed on the issue, Carney refused to state that Obama shared the same personal feeling that he was "absolutely comfortable" with gay marriage.

One of the areas he was hit hardest was on Obama's disparity between his refusal to support gay marriage bills but his outright support of multiple states' attempts to overturn bans on gay marriage. Carney responded by saying that the President believes it's a state issue.

"States have taken action on this issue. ... When that process works, it's a positive thing," Carney said.

He added: "His support for LGBT rights is unprecedented and compares favorably to anyone else out there in the political arena."

The members of the press corps moved onto other topics for a while, but eventually they circled back to the major issue of the day. Carney even got frustrated toward the end of the session, when the reporters continued to pressure him on the "definition of evolving" and further questions on why the President felt a need to clarify Biden's statements.

"Look, I don't have an update for you on the President's personal views," Carney said.

One reporter said, "The game's on," as the press conference ended.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-press-corps-just-hammered-president-obama-on-gay-marriage-2012-5#ixzz1uDBR2WOg

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Can't risk alienating the black vote, especially considering that blacks are the most homophobic people in this country.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Can't risk alienating the black vote, especially considering that blacks are the most homophobic people in this country.

Obama is probably asking for some flexibility until after the election. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Obama is probably asking for some flexibility until after the election. 

lol

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
you caught that right?   ;D 

Yup.   :)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Obama's vague gay marriage stance under scrutiny

By JULIE PACE
Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Barack Obama's election-year vagueness on gay marriage is coming under fresh scrutiny.

Education Secretary Arne Duncan broke ranks with the White House on Monday, stating his unequivocal support for same-sex marriage one day after Vice President Joe Biden suggested that he supported gay marriage as well.

Obama aides worked to manage any political fallout. They said the back-to-back remarks by two top administration officials represented personal viewpoints and were not part of a coordinated effort to lay groundwork for a shift in the president's position. Obama aides also tried to use the latest flare-up in the gay-marriage debate to shine a light on GOP rival Mitt Romney's history of equivocating on some gay-rights issues, an attempt to turn a potential political problem into an opportunity.

Obama, who supports most gay rights, has stopped short of backing gay marriage. Without clarification, he's said for the past year and a half that his personal views on the matter are "evolving."

The White House held firm on Monday to that position, which polls show puts the president increasingly at odds with his party and the majority of Americans on gay marriage. But with Biden and Duncan's comments reinvigorating the debate, Obama is likely to face renewed pressure to clarify his views ahead of the November election.

Throughout his first term, he has sought to walk a fine line on same-sex marriage. He's trying to satisfy rank-and-file Democrats by supporting a range of gay rights issues without alienating crucial independent voters who could be turned off by the emotional social issue.

The president's aides acknowledge that his position can be confusing. In states where gay marriage already is legal, the president says married gay couples should have the same rights as married straight couples. But he does not publicly support the right of gay couples to enter into a marriage in the first place.

Duncan, a longtime friend of the president as well as a member of his Cabinet, made clear Monday that his position on gay marriage was not in lockstep with the White House. Asked in a television interview whether he believed gay couples should legally be allowed to marry, Duncan said simply, "Yes, I do."

His comments followed Biden's assertion Sunday that he was "absolutely comfortable with the fact that men marrying men, women marrying women and heterosexual men and women marrying one another are entitled to the same exact rights, all the civil rights, all the civil liberties."

Obama aides said Duncan was speaking about his personal views on the issue and was not under orders from the White House or the campaign to take his position.

As for Biden, White House and campaign officials said the vice president's remarks were no different from what he and Obama have said in the past.

"They were entirely consistent with the president's position, which is that couples who are married, whether they are gay or heterosexual couples are entitled to the very same rights and very same liberties," said David Axelrod, a senior adviser to the Obama campaign. "When people are married, we ought to recognize those marriages."

The latest political dust-up over gay marriage came just before North Carolina voters were to weigh in on a ballot initiative that would ban gay marriage in that state. Obama opposes the ban, as does former President Bill Clinton, who has recorded automated phone calls ahead of the vote. Obama was heading on Tuesday for Albany, N.Y., where lawmakers voted last year to approve gay marriage in that state.

"The record is clear that the president has long opposed divisive and discriminatory efforts to deny rights and benefits to same-sex couples," said White House spokesman Jay Carney, who was peppered with questions about same-sex unions throughout his daily briefing Monday. He said there was no conflict between Obama not supporting gay marriage and yet opposing a ban.

At the same time, Obama aides sought to gain the upper hand on the issue with independent voters by highlighting Romney's record on gay rights. Aides argued there was a clear distinction between the Republican candidate and Obama, who repealed the military's ban on openly gay service members and ordered his administration to stop enforcing the Defense of Marriage Act, which defines marriage as between a man and a woman.

Romney favors a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, saying the policy should be set federally, not by states. Some conservatives have questioned Romney's commitment to that position, noting that during his 1994 Senate run, he said he supported "full equality" for gays and lesbians.

To put such doubts to rest, Romney told an Ohio television station Monday that he believes "marriage is between a man and a woman, and that's a position I've had for some time and I don't intend to make any adjustments at this point - or ever, by the way."

Many gay rights advocates and people close to Obama's campaign suggest it is no longer a matter of if, but when the president voices his support for same-sex marriage. The hope among some Democrats, and the fear among some Republicans, is that Obama is simply waiting until after the election to state his views publicly.

Obama has acknowledged he will have more freedom in some areas following the November contest. He was overheard telling outgoing Russian President Dmitry Medvedev in March that "after my election I have more flexibility." In that instance, Obama was speaking about the issue of missile defense.

Richard Socarides, a gay rights supporter who was a White House official in the Clinton administration, said Duncan's and Biden's comments this week may prevent Obama from being able to stay quiet on gay marriage before Election Day.

"It becomes increasingly difficult to finesse this for very much longer," Socarides said. "The president is going to get asked about this every time there's an opportunity."

One upcoming opportunity is a campaign fundraiser Obama is scheduled to headline with gay and lesbian supporters in early June.

The issue also is expected to surface at the Democratic convention in September, where many party leaders want to include support for gay marriage in the official platform. Caroline Kennedy, one of Obama's campaign co-chairs, voiced her support for that effort on Monday.

Gay marriage is legal in six states, plus the District of Columbia.

Obama's reluctance to embrace gay marriage has increasingly put him at odds with a majority of Americans. A Washington Post/ABC News poll from March found that 52 percent felt it should be legal for gay and lesbian couples to get married, while 43 percent said it should be illegal.

Support for gay marriage is highest among Democrats, with 64 percent supportive of the issue. Just over half of independents - 54 percent - back legalized gay marriage, according to the Post/ABC poll. Support among Republicans is the lowest, at 39 percent.

----

Associated Press writer Philip Elliott contributed to this report.

----

Follow Julie Pace at http://twitter.com/jpaceDC

© 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Vice President Biden’s gay-marriage gaffe is mess for White House
By Dana Milbank, Published: May 7

If Vice President Biden continues to make public appearances during this campaign, White House press secretary Jay Carney should be offered a membership in the janitors’ union.

As things stand, the spokesman does not have the supplies necessary to clean up the mess Biden made in his appearance Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” Biden gave his full support to same-sex marriage — a position conspicuously at odds with the public stance of his boss, President Obama, who is widely assumed to share Biden’s views but who says that his own thinking is “evolving.”

The vice president said he is “absolutely comfortable” with same-sex marriage, committing the classic Washington gaffe of accidentally speaking the truth. This bit of straight talk made Obama’s position — neither for nor against such unions but in an evolutionary state, not unlike the Galapagos finch — all the more untenable. On Monday, Biden took off for a campaign event in Tennessee, leaving Carney on cleanup duty. But the more Carney swabbed the mess, the more it spread.

CNN’s Jessica Yellin asked whether Obama was trying to “have it both ways before an election” and whether he should “stop dancing around the issue.”

ABC’s Jake Tapper said that “it seems cynical to hide this prior to the election” and that “I don’t want to hear the same talking points 15 times in a row.”

NBC’s Chuck Todd said with a grin, “So help me out here. He opposes bans on gay marriage, but he doesn’t yet support gay marriage?”

The pounding was so intense that radio personality Les Kinsolving, a gadfly who tries to ask the most outrageous question at briefings, was being overlooked. Midway through the briefing, he appeared to pass out, sliding to the floor. As he was being helped to a seat, Kinsolving called out, “I just have one question!”

Carney tried to parry the same-sex-marriage questions, gamely at first and then testily as reporters began to laugh at his answers. He grew uncharacteristically flustered. When an unrelated question came about whether Obama would support the reelection of scandal-plagued Rep. Charlie Rangel (D-N.Y.), Carney answered: “I mean — well, yes, sure. I just don’t — I haven’t — I haven’t been asked it before so I. . . . The president — I’ll have to — I’ll have to get back to you.”

Biden hadn’t planned to make news about same-sex marriage or to endorse a position on the issue. The gaffe-prone vice president had been relatively on message for months. But on Sunday, he referred to the likely Republican presidential nominee as “President Romney” and to his own boss as “President Clinton.” And he inadvertently set off a frenzy on same-sex marriage, not because his position was surprising but because it made Obama’s look all the more absurd.

By Monday morning, even Education Secretary Arne Duncan was being asked for his position on such unions (he supports them). HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan had already taken that stance. Next up: Energy Secretary Steven Chu?

Whatever Obama’s public position, there was little doubt in the briefing room Monday that the president supports gay marriage and that he would go public with this position after Election Day, when he no longer need fear losing independent voters. Carney, who had the unenviable position of trying to convince the press corps otherwise, arrived 35 minutes late for the job and found a feisty audience.

“I have no update on the president’s personal views,” he told the first questioner, Anne Gearan of the Associated Press. “He, as you know, said that his views on this were evolving.”

Tapper asked whether Obama was “still evolving” or whether he’s “just waiting for the proper time to drop it, likely after November.”

“It is as it was,” Carney said.

CBS’s Nora O’Donnell tried another approach. “Why does the president oppose same-sex marriage?”

“I really don’t have any update for you,” Carney answered.

“The vice president appears to have evolved on the issue, but the president is still evolving?” O’Donnell inquired.

“I will leave it to individuals to describe their own personal views.”

Reporters fired dozens of barbed questions and taunts. “Contorted position! . . . Why did you guys send out statements to clarify? . . . What does the word ‘evolving’ mean? . . . Is he not evolved?. . . I want you to dissect the evolution.” A fly buzzed around the lectern. Carney let out a sigh.

NPR’s Mara Liasson asked whether Obama was “too clever by half,” essentially telling voters: “I’m getting ready to change my mind.”

“His views,” Carney maintained, “are crystal clear.”

Chris Geidner from Metro Weekly, a gay publication, pointed out the obvious: “If he’s crystal clear, why is everybody in this room asking you questions?”

“I think everybody in this room is reacting in the way folks often do to one story that takes off and then they run . . . and chase it.”

And the press secretary runs after them, mop in hand.

danamilbank@washpost.com

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
White House Punts on Same Sex Marriage—Again
Cancels trip to N.C. on day of vote.

1:04 PM, May 8, 2012 • By DANIEL HALPER

White House spokesman Jay Carney was asked aboard Air Force One about President Obama's position on same sex marriage. He punted. Again. From today's pool report:

On whether the White House feels the need to clarify the president's gay marriage stance, Carney said he had no updates. He said he's sure POTUS will be asked about the topic in future interviews and press conferences and will discuss his views then.

As the Washington Post reports, Carney had the same problem yesterday, when reporters ask about the president's position on same sex marriage:

Carney tried to parry the same-sex-marriage questions, gamely at first and then testily as reporters began to laugh at his answers. He grew uncharacteristically flustered. When an unrelated question came about whether Obama would support the reelection of scandal-plagued Rep. Charlie Rangel (D-N.Y.), Carney answered: “I mean — well, yes, sure. I just don’t — I haven’t — I haven’t been asked it before so I. . . . The president — I’ll have to — I’ll have to get back to you.”

The president is currently against same sex marriage, though he's claimed to be "evolving" on the position.

And the White House canceled its planned North Carolina trip, which coincided with the ballot initiative there to ban same sex marriage. The News Observer reports:

President Barack Obama was scheduled, albeit briefly, to visit North Carolina on Election Day to make an speech in Asheville about the economy.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
During a candidate forum on October 26, 2004, Obama was asked to elaborate on his views of gay marriage and said he believes "that marriage is between a man and a woman" and "I don't think marriage is a civil right." Transcript below.

PONCE: “Mr. Obama, you've said that your religious faiths, your religious faith, dictates that marriage should be between a man and a woman. Would you elaborate on that?”

OBAMA: “Well, what I believe is that marriage is between a man and a woman, but what I also believe is that we have an obligation to make sure that gays and lesbians have the rights of citizenship that afford them visitations to hospitals, that allow them to be, to transfer property between partners, to make certain that they're not discriminated on the job. I think that bundle of rights are absolutely critical.”

PONCE: “Excuse me, but as far as, why? What in your religious faith calls you to be against gay marriage?”

OBAMA: “Well, what I believe, in my faith, is that a man and a woman, when they get married, are performing something before God, and it's not simply the two persons who are meeting. But that doesn't mean that that necessarily translates into a position on public policy or with respect to civil unions. What it does mean is that we have a set of traditions in place that, I think, need to be preserved, but I also think we have to make sure that gays and lesbians have the same set of basic rights that are in place. And I was glad to see, for example, that the president today apparently stated that he was in favor of civil unions. This may be a reversal of his position but I think it's a healthy one. I think, on this, President Bush and I disagree, apparently, with Mr. Keyes on this, because I think that that kind of basic ethic of regard towards all people, regardless of sexual orientation, is a valuable thing.”

PONCE: “Let me ask you, let me interrupt and ask you a very quick follow-up question. Do you believe homosexuality is a choice?”

OBAMA: “No. I don't. I--I—I…”

PONCE: “You think it's innate.”

OBAMA: “I think that, for the most part, it is innate. I think that, obviously, it may vary in certain circumstances, but I think that it is something that is a part of their identity. Now—but…”

PONCE: “That being the case, Mr. Obama--that being the case, if something is not a choice, if something is innate, then why isn't it a civil right, and why isn't your support of…”

OBAMA: “Well, I think that…”

PONCE: “…civil unions, as opposed to marriage…”

OBAMA: “…I think that…”

PONCE: “…does that amount to ‘separate, but equal’?”

OBAMA: “No. I think there are a whole host of things that are civil rights, and then there are other things--such as traditional marriage--that, I think, express a community's concern and regard for a particular institution.”

PONCE: “So, marriage is not a civil right, as far as you're concerned.”

OBAMA: “I don't think marriage is a civil right, but I think that being able…”

PONCE: “Is it a human right?”

OBAMA: “But I think that being able to transfer property is a civil right. I think not being…”

PONCE: “Do you think marriage is a human right?”

OBAMA: “I think that not being able to, not being discriminated against is a civil right. I think making sure that we don't engage in the sort of gay-bashing that, I think, has unfortunately dominated this campaign--not just here in Illinois, but across the country--I think, is unfortunate, and I think that that kind of mean-spirited attacks on homosexuals is something that the people of Illinois generally have rejected.”

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama's campaign says he's "disappointed" with North Carolina's constitutional amendment banning gay marriage.

Obama campaign spokesman Cameron French said in a Tuesday statement that the ban on same-sex unions is "divisive and discriminatory." French says same-sex couples deserve the same rights and legal protections as straight couples.

North Carolinians overwhelming voted Tuesday to amend their state constitution, strengthening a state law that already outlawed same-sex unions.

(Excerpt) Read more at news.yahoo.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Skip to comments.

EDITORIAL: Obama’s same-sex evolution
Washington Times ^ | May 8, 2012 | Editorial
Posted on May 8, 2012 11:24:52 PM EDT by jazusamo

The president takes a wide stance on homosexual ‘marriage’

When it comes to same-sex “marriage,” President Obama is a commitment-phobe. He keeps putting his political partners off by saying his position is “evolving.” He should just come out and take the plunge.

Adopting an evolving position is a classic political dodge, allowing Mr. Obama to claim to be sympathetic to the concerns of homosexual activists while not offending traditionalists. His stance is calculated to grab centrists whose votes he needs in November. It gives him wiggle room with leftists who are curious why he won’t be more explicit. But when Mr. Obama says he is evolving, he does so with a wink. His liberal supporters know where he really stands. It’s in his genes.

Politicians can’t hide the truth forever. This week, Vice President Joe Biden said he is “absolutely comfortable” with the idea of same-sex “marriage,” and Education Secretary Arne Duncan also voiced his support. The White House, however, wants to avoid taking a firm position in an election year.

The situation in North Carolina illustrates the Obama campaign’s dilemma. Mr. Obama needs to win the Tar Heel State to retain control of the White House...

(Excerpt) Read more at washingtontimes.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Top Obama Donors Withholding Money From His Super PAC (Outraged He Didn't Sign E.O. On Gay Workers)
Weasel Zippers ^ | May 8, 2012 | Weasel Zippers
Posted on May 8, 2012 11:48:04 PM EDT by Qbert

There’s a price to pay for not being fabulous.

Via WaPo:

Some leading gay and progressive donors are so angry over President Obama’s refusal to sign an executive order barring same sex discrimination by federal contractors that they are refusing to give any more money to the pro-Obama super PAC, a top gay fundraiser’s office tells me. In some cases, I’m told, big donations are being withheld.
Jonathan Lewis, the gay philanthropist and leading Democratic fundraiser, is one of many gay advocates who has been working behind the scenes to pressure Obama to change his mind. When Obama decided against the executive order last month, arguing that he would pursue a legislative solution instead, advocates were furious — such a solution will never pass Congress, the executive order has been a priority for advocates for years, and the move smacked of a political cave to conservatives who will not support Obama no matter what he does.

Now these and other donors are beginning to withold money from Priorities USA, the main pro-Obama super PAC, out of dismay over the president’s decision. (Some of these donors have already maxed out to the Obama campaign, I’m told.) It’s the first indication that areas in which Obama is at odds with gay advocates — and in fairness, his record on gay rights has been very good — could dampen overall fundraising.

Keep reading…

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Pro-Gay Marriage Group Blasts Obama After N.C. Ban Passes: 'The President Of The United States Needs To Stand Up'
Brett LoGiurato    | May 8, 2012, 11:16 PM | 175 | 7

President Obama has faced plenty of criticism on the issue of gay marriage in the past couple of days. From the White House press corps. From Republicans. Even from a few select Democrats willing to break rank.
And now, he's even getting called out by pro-gay marriage groups, as pressure builds this into a suddenly major campaign issue as North Carolina voters passed Amendment 1 earlier tonight.

John Lewis, the legal director of Marriage Equality USA, said North Carolina's ban is Reason No. 1 why Obama needs to take a stand now.

"I think this vote makes crystal clear that the President of the United States needs to stand up for the freedom to marry for all American citizens," Lewis told Business Insider.
"What I'm thinking of tonight is the gay kid growing up in North Carolina, who's just been told that he can't fulfill his dreams. The President of the United States needs to stand up for that kid. He needs to stand up for Americans and say that every single American has inherent freedom to marry the person they love and pursue their happiness."
Well, that's one thing that Lewis and Bryan Fischer, the director of issue analysis at the American Family Association, have in common. Fischer, of course, has been in the news lately for his vehement criticism of Mitt Romney's hire of a gay national security and foreign policy spokesman that has since resigned.
Fischer said this issue has become a nightmare for Obama. He called it the "third rail" of the Obama campaign, meaning it's too sensitive of an issue for Obama to touch either way. Whichever way he handles it, he might now lose some votes if the issue keeps up in prominence throughout the campaign.
"Obama had a trip to North Carolina scheduled for today, and he canceled it," Fischer told Business Insider. "I believe he canceled it because I believe he simply does not want to face any awkward questions  about the institution of marriage.

"This is a major problem for him. Because clearly, the American people who are going to the polls in November are not with him on the issue of marriage,"  Fischer said, adding that "natural marriage is 32-0" in state votes.

Lewis, of Marriage Equality USA, agreed — but that's about where it stopped. He said the group was "deeply disappointed" that North Carolina had passed a law that "deprives basic couples of their rights."
And he called it "blatantly unconstitutional."

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Free Republic
Browse · Search   Pings · Mail   News/Activism
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

North Carolina voters ban gay marriage, civil unions
Yahoo! News / The Associated Press ^ | May 8, 2012 | Liz Goodwin
Posted on May 8, 2012 11:25:20 PM EDT by 2ndDivisionVet

North Carolinians voted to change the state constitution Tuesday to say that the only valid "domestic legal partnership" in the state is marriage between a man and a woman, according to the AP's projection. The amendment passed 61 to 39 percent with most counties reporting, making North Carolina the 29th state with a gay marriage ban in its constitution.

The state already outlawed gay marriage, but the constitutional amendment makes it more difficult for politicians to ever change the law. The amendment also means that a handful of North Carolina municipalities that extended benefits to the domestic partners of their employees will no longer be able to do so, since marriage is now the only valid legal partnership in the state....

I think the jerks thinking NC goes to Obama are kidding themslrvrs.   FUBO.   

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Free Republic
Browse · Search   Pings · Mail   News/Activism
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

North Carolina voters ban gay marriage, civil unions
Yahoo! News / The Associated Press ^ | May 8, 2012 | Liz Goodwin
Posted on May 8, 2012 11:25:20 PM EDT by 2ndDivisionVet

North Carolinians voted to change the state constitution Tuesday to say that the only valid "domestic legal partnership" in the state is marriage between a man and a woman, according to the AP's projection. The amendment passed 61 to 39 percent with most counties reporting, making North Carolina the 29th state with a gay marriage ban in its constitution.

The state already outlawed gay marriage, but the constitutional amendment makes it more difficult for politicians to ever change the law. The amendment also means that a handful of North Carolina municipalities that extended benefits to the domestic partners of their employees will no longer be able to do so, since marriage is now the only valid legal partnership in the state....

I think the jerks thinking NC goes to Obama are kidding themslrvrs.   FUBO.   

I'm actually glad it passed.  Its not only going to piss off enough activists to go to war but there is also a nasty little suprise in the Jack In The Box.

Gay Marriage was already banned in North Carolina so it would not have changed anything even if it failed.  However, the law will now invalidates common law marriages and unmarried couples rights.....that means that any domestic violence protection orders on any unmarried couples are now invalidated, asset protection rights, medical services, other rights as well.  

In terms of the amendment, it doesn't hurt me because it doesn't change anything but its going to hurt a lot of people who didn't realize what they were voting for.  It was a mean spirited amendment to put through but the end result will be a clusterfuck for many unsuspecting people.  

I will end off with this little tidbit

Sigurd Eysteinsson (aka Sigurd the Mighty, ruled circa 875–892[1]) was the second Viking Earl of Orkney, who succeeded his brother Rognvald Eysteinsson. He was a leader in the Viking conquest of what is now northern Scotland. Bizarrely, he was killed by the severed head of one his enemies, Máel Brigte, who may have been mórmaer of Moray.[1] Sigurd strapped Máel Brigte's head to his saddle as a trophy of conquest, and as he rode, Máel Brigte's teeth grazed against Sigurd's leg. The wound became infected and Sigurd died.[2]

According to the Orkneyinga saga, towards the end of his reign, Sigurd challenged a native ruler, Máel Brigte the Bucktoothed, to a 40-man-a-side battle. Treacherously, Sigurd brought 80 men to the fight. Máel Brigte was defeated and beheaded. Sigurd strapped the head to his saddle as a trophy, but as Sigurd rode, Máel Brigte's buck-tooth scratched his leg. The leg became inflamed and infected, and as a result Sigurd died. He was buried in a tumulus known as Sigurd's Howe, or Sigurðar-haugr, from the Old Norse word haugr meaning mound or barrow. The location of Sigurd's Howe is most probably modern-day Sidera or Cyderhall near Dornoch.[1][3][4]    

A

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Top Obama Donors Withholding Money From His Super PAC (Outraged He Didn't Sign E.O. On Gay Workers)
 Weasel Zippers ^ | May 8, 2012 | Weasel Zippers

Tuesday, May 08, 2012

There’s a price to pay for not being fabulous.

Via WaPo:

Some leading gay and progressive donors are so angry over President Obama’s refusal to sign an executive order barring same sex discrimination by federal contractors that they are refusing to give any more money to the pro-Obama super PAC, a top gay fundraiser’s office tells me. In some cases, I’m told, big donations are being withheld.

Jonathan Lewis, the gay philanthropist and leading Democratic fundraiser, is one of many gay advocates who has been working behind the scenes to pressure Obama to change his mind. When Obama decided against the executive order last month, arguing that he would pursue a legislative solution instead, advocates were furious — such a solution will never pass Congress, the executive order has been a priority for advocates for years, and the move smacked of a political cave to conservatives who will not support Obama no matter what he does.

Now these and other donors are beginning to withold money from Priorities USA, the main pro-Obama super PAC, out of dismay over the president’s decision. (Some of these donors have already maxed out to the Obama campaign, I’m told.) It’s the first indication that areas in which Obama is at odds with gay advocates — and in fairness, his record on gay rights has been very good — could dampen overall fundraising.

Keep reading…

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Gay Rights Groups Are Pressing For President Obama's Endorsement TODAY
Brett LoGiurato|19 minutes ago|82|2

Aaron Sarver went to a Wilson, N.C., courthouse this morning with six gay couples who were applying for marriage licenses. Both Sarver, the communications director for the Campaign for Southern Equality, and the six couples knew what was coming.

All stamps of denial.

"The people who have to live in communities and counties across the country where they're not allowed to get married don't super care about what are the political advantages or disadvantages of when full equality is reached," Sarver said in a phone interview today.

"They just want it to be reached."

That's one reason that gay rights groups like the Campaign for Southern Equality — amid rumors that President Obama could be getting ready to endorse gay marriage in an ABC interview today — are pushing for Obama's endorsement today.

Here's the thing: Sarver and the Campaign for Southern Equality know an endorsement is going to come at some point. Gay rights groups know his "evolution" is going to be completed in due time.

But the timing does make a difference. If Obama endorses after potentially winning another four years in office, it's another game of politics. If Obama endorses now, it's a heroic act of courage to the gay rights community after a 20-point shilling in North Carolina on Tuesday night.

"The President is the leader of our country," Evan Wolfson, the founder and president of Freedom to Marry, told Business Insider today.

"We expect presidents to speak out on moments of moral leadership, particularly when the real lives of families are affected by discrimination that needs to change. Having this president speak out forthrightly today for the freedom to marry and explaining how his heart opened and mind changed like so many others will help move the country to fairness."

Wolfson added that he believes it's good politics for the president to endorse. Because, as Tuesday's Gallup poll showed, most Americans support the legalization of gay marriage, along with most Democrats and Independents.

But it gets a little more complicated in areas like North Carolina, a swing state Obama would love to win that just passed a sweeping referendum denying gay couples the right to marry and enter civil unions on Tuesday.

But John Lewis, the legal director of Marriage Equality USA, said North Carolina's ban is Reason No. 1 why Obama needs to take a stand now.

"I think this vote makes crystal clear that the President of the United States needs to stand up for the freedom to marry for all American citizens," Lewis told Business Insider on Tuesday night.

"What I'm thinking of tonight is the gay kid growing up in North Carolina, who's just been told that he can't fulfill his dreams. The President of the United States needs to stand up for that kid. He needs to stand up for Americans and say that every single American has inherent freedom to marry the person they love and pursue their happiness."

Now, the question: With all the hype and anticipation building for this interview, is there any way Obama can't endorse it?

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/president-obama-gay-marriage-endorsement-gay-rights-groups-press-him-2012-5#ixzz1uOX7Xuz3

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Snr. Obama Advisor: Obama Will 'Certainly' Endorse Same-Sex Marriage 'After the Election'
 bretibart ^ | 5/9/12 | John Nolte

Ryan Lizza, a Washington correspondent for 'The New Yorker,' tweeted out a statement from a SENIOR Obama advisor today:

Sr. BO adviser to me re: BO endorsing gay marriage: BO "may get around to it before this election but he certainly will after the election."

If true, I guess we're once again learning what Obama has in mind after the election when he has more "flexibility."

There's also news on the Twitter-nets that Obama's going to or already has done an interview in order to clarify his position on same-sex marriage, you know, because the words "for" or "against" require a ton of explanation.

Gay people in favor of same-sex marriage should be furious with Obama right now. We all know he's in favor of same-sex marriage, and rather than just come out and declare his position honestly, he's stringing his gay supporters along. Talk about taking your voters for granted.

(Excerpt) Read more at breitbart.com ...

________________________ _______

ha ha ha ha!!!!!   Obama is such a joke. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Obama may clarify position on same-sex marriage in interview today
 Washington Post ^ | 8/9/2012 | Peter Wallsten

The president has been under intense pressure for his self-described “evolving” position on the issue since Sunday, when NBC aired an interview in which Vice President Biden said he was “absolutely comfortable” with gay marriage.

Biden’s comments put Obama on the spot, exposing the president’s position to ridicule among gay-rights activists who see it as a wink-and-nod stance to avoid alienating conservative swing voters as well as African-Americans and Latinos key to Obama’s reelection.

The president’s challenge was evident in Tuesday’s vote in North Carolina, one of the campaign’s targeted states, where voters overwhelmingly backed a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex unions.

Obama’s campaign released a statement describing the North Carolina results as “disappointing.”

Aides to the president would not say what Obama might tell Roberts today about the issue of marriage.

An Obama policy shift today would follow days of frantic phone calls and conversations between campaign officials and leading activists and donors in the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.

(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonpost.com ...

Pillar of courage right there.    ::)  ::)

Can't offend his black base! 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V