Author Topic: Apple peels build muscle  (Read 3947 times)

muscularny

• Getbig IV
  • Training
Apple peels build muscle
« on: May 10, 2012, 08:34:49 AM »
pretty interesting,

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-09-09/health/29736407_1_muscle-mice-insulin

Researchers at the University of Iowa have discovered that a waxy substance known as ursolic acid found in the apple peel reduces muscle atrophy and promotes muscle growth in mice.

It is also found to reduce fat, blood sugar levels, cholesterol and triglycerides, hence, can be used in treating muscle wasting and metabolic disorders such as diabetes. "Muscle atrophy causes big problems. It's also very common - it affects most people at some point in their lives, during illness or aging. But, there's no medicine for it," said Christopher Adams, endocrinologist and senior author of the study.

"We studied muscle gene activity in people with atrophy and used that information to find chemicals that might block atrophy. One of those chemicals was especially interesting. It's called ursolic acid and it's particularly concentrated in apple peels, he added.

According to the researchers, ursolic acid reduced muscle atrophy by helping insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF1) and insulin to build muscles. "It did this by helping two hormones that build muscle: insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF1) and insulin. Because ursolic acid increased muscle, it reduced muscle atrophy. Surprisingly, it had some other beneficial effects in mice: for example, it reduced body fat, and lowered blood glucose and cholesterol."

Additionally, although ursolic acid increased muscle weight in mice, it did not increase total body weight. Furthermore, mice fed ursolic acid were found to have less body fat than mice that were not fed the compound.

The study has been published in the current issue of the journal Cell Metabolism .

ritch

• Getbig V
Re: Apple peels build muscle
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 11:09:52 AM »
yes... Apples are good for you, eat them!
?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 04:40:34 AM »
Additionally, although ursolic acid increased muscle weight in mice, it did not increase total body weight. Furthermore, mice fed ursolic acid were found to have less body fat than mice that were not fed the compound.

I'm just taking a guess here, but maybe their total body weight did not change because they were building muscle AS they were losing fat.

Good article. This is the first mention I've seen of the study.

w8m8

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 07:39:27 AM »
very interesting study find ... as everyone knows the apples must be washed thoroughly .. chemicals are sprayed onto them for months during their growth and also applied before they are placed into controlled atmosphere long term storage .. MAYBE truly organic ones are safer but I don't understand how they control pest and disease without any chemical assisatance

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 08:47:56 AM »
yeah the stuff they spray on them makes it a little scary

danabol

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 11:07:17 AM »
very interesting study find ... as everyone knows the apples must be washed thoroughly .. chemicals are sprayed onto them for months during their growth and also applied before they are placed into controlled atmosphere long term storage .. MAYBE truly organic ones are safer but I don't understand how they control pest and disease without any chemical assisatance

never clean my apples me never need to ....its health an safety that they have be clean when sold in a shop..

you just carn't bag tuns of apples up without first washing them...you would get sent to fck its the law in all foods