Author Topic: The Los Angeles Lakers  (Read 7222 times)

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
Re: The Los Angeles Lakers
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2012, 09:27:40 AM »
last season

mitch has an easy job, i bet you think being gm for the yankees is hard too

E

I somewhat agree with this. Star players usually want to come LA because it's LA. And I bet Howard will have no problem signing an extension to stay.

I will say that the trade Mitch did to get Gasol to LA was sinister and sketchy considering what the other team got in exchange. Orlando got butt-fucked and got literally nothing in return for Howard.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2012, 09:37:54 AM »
lakers just picked up jodie meeks.
F

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2012, 11:03:43 AM »
It's very hard.

being GM for the pirates is hard

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2012, 11:06:00 AM »
lol

stop pretending that your favorite team doesn't have a huge advantage over the others

i'm sure that kupchak worked hard to make this trade happen, but being in LA makes it a 100 times easier than being in milwaukee

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2012, 12:03:38 PM »
stop pretending that your favorite team doesn't have a huge advantage over the others

i'm sure that kupchak worked hard to make this trade happen, but being in LA makes it a 100 times easier than being in milwaukee

E

You're all over the place.  Is his job "easy" or does he have an advantage over a team like the Bucks? 

Not sure where you're getting this stuff from, but I didn’t' say anything about how easy or difficult his job is, how he compares to other GMs, etc.  My only comment was about what a fantastic job he has done since taking over for West. 

But I'll play.  Is his job easy?  Of course not.  With a salary cap, luxury tax, roster limitations, a "championship or bust" standard, and a commissioner who doesn't want them to be too good, no his job is not "easy." 

Is his job easier than most other GMs?  Yes.  All else being equal, a player would rather come to LA and compete for championships than play for Toronto, the Bucks, etc.  But it's not that simple, because all else is rarely equal.  For example, a star player isn't usually going to come to LA as a FA and take millions less than he can make for another team that has cap room.  That's why LA had no shot at Deron Williams.   

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2012, 04:12:15 PM »
You're all over the place.  Is his job "easy" or does he have an advantage over a team like the Bucks? 

Not sure where you're getting this stuff from, but I didn’t' say anything about how easy or difficult his job is, how he compares to other GMs, etc.  My only comment was about what a fantastic job he has done since taking over for West. 

But I'll play.  Is his job easy?  Of course not.  With a salary cap, luxury tax, roster limitations, a "championship or bust" standard, and a commissioner who doesn't want them to be too good, no his job is not "easy." 

Is his job easier than most other GMs?  Yes.  All else being equal, a player would rather come to LA and compete for championships than play for Toronto, the Bucks, etc.  But it's not that simple, because all else is rarely equal.  For example, a star player isn't usually going to come to LA as a FA and take millions less than he can make for another team that has cap room.  That's why LA had no shot at Deron Williams.   

he has the easiest GM job

stern said his ideal finals matchup is the lakers vs the lakers ::)

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
he has the easiest GM job

stern said his ideal finals matchup is the lakers vs the lakers ::)

E

You think he has the easiest GM job in the NBA.  Ok.  Who cares?  He made me very happy this offseason.   :) 

Yes, the same Stern who vetoed the Paul to LA trade for "basketball reasons."   ::)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2012, 04:07:21 AM »
being GM for the pirates is hard

E

There's more to it than budgetary issues.

Pirates are full of shit anyway.  They routinely make good money every year rather than put their money on the field.
Y

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2012, 07:50:56 AM »

Pirates are full of shit anyway.  They routinely make good money every year rather than put their money on the field.

The Pirates have a great ballpark. Their fans should be happier than shit about the season their having this year! As a long suffering Orioles fan, I can relate...believe me. I'm ecstatic to be playing winning baseball in the month of August.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 08:53:57 AM »
The Pirates have a great ballpark. Their fans should be happier than shit about the season their having this year! As a long suffering Orioles fan, I can relate...believe me. I'm ecstatic to be playing winning baseball in the month of August.

Orioles are an interesting bunch this year.   They have a negative run differential, but a winning record.   Their record is somewhat inflated because of their uncanny record in one run games, but you would think all that would have corrected itself a bit by now, but it hasn't.

Chen/Hammel have been a surprise, (not to me, I drafted Hammel in FBB  ;D) and Weiters/Jones are now playing as advertised. 

If I had to predict, I'd say they slip out of the playoff picture, but who knows?
Y

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2012, 10:46:37 AM »
We shall see. They're sitting at 10 games above .500 now. If they can win 2 out of 3 against the boston and detroit series they're in prime position for a September run.

If they can manage to win 90 games, I think they're a lock for the wildcard. They would have to go 27-19 the rest of the way to do it.

It's their bullpen that has helped them win those 1 run games and their current 12 game extra inning winning streak. Yeah...that run differential is mind-boggling.

Either way...this kind of success has been long overdue for long suffering Orioles fans.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2012, 11:50:38 AM »
My thinking is that they have to play better than three of the following teams the rest of the way - Tampa/Anaheim/Detroit/Oakland.

Their schedule also looks brutal as they have Texas and Detroit, then have all the AL East teams.

Doesn't seem likely.  I'd love for them to get in though.
Y

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2012, 11:53:09 AM »
You think he has the easiest GM job in the NBA.  Ok.  Who cares?  He made me very happy this offseason.   :) 

Yes, the same Stern who vetoed the Paul to LA trade for "basketball reasons."   ::)

ok stern would be happy to see the spurs and pistons again ::)

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2012, 11:55:17 AM »

which job would you rather have?

good money compared to who?  you think they could have a payroll like the yankees?

E
E

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2012, 12:05:48 PM »

good money compared to who?  you think they could have a payroll like the yankees?

E

As stated, I'm not talking about payroll or financial leverage.

The Yankees GM job is a relentless one - 80+ hrs/week easily, hardly ever home, intense media scrutiny, demanding ownership and fan base, new CBA rules which will instill new constraints associated with larger payrolls, insane internal politics (this has lessened a bit since Cashman demanded , etc....Yeah, they can spend the most, but that also comes with unrealistic expectations.  Also, as the Red Sox are learning, it takes more than big money, it takes spending wisely.
Y

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2012, 12:45:37 PM »
ok stern would be happy to see the spurs and pistons again ::)

E

He's happy with parity.  That's why he vetoed the Chris Paul trade. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2012, 05:57:03 PM »
Interesting stuff.  Some would call this "easy."   :)

How Exactly Was Dwight Howard Traded?
By Eric Pincus
Senior NBA Writer
August 15, 2012

The Orlando Magic finally put an end to the Dwight Howard era with a massive four-team trade this past Friday.

After protracted negotiations with the Brooklyn Nets and then the Houston Rockets, the Magic found a key partner in the Philadelphia 76ers.  Once the Nets exited the picture in early July, momentum suggested the Rockets would either get Howard or Andrew Bynum (via the Los Angeles Lakers).

The Lakers were willing to give up Bynum for Howard but need a third team to broker a deal.  If not Houston, the Cleveland Cavaliers were a possibility, and yet Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak did not believe anything was likely to come of talks.

Ultimately Orlando approached the Lakers with an initial three-way idea with the Sixers, which evolved into the four-way that was executed on August 10.

In addition to draft considerations, the Magic acquired Moe Harkless, Arron Afflalo, Al Harrington, Nikola Vucevic, Christian Eyenga and Josh McRoberts.  The Lakers received Earl Clark, Chris Duhon and Howard.  The Sixers landed Jason Richardson and Bynum.  The Nuggets ended up with Andre Iguodala.

The question for many is “Why?  Why did the Magic take this deal above other possibilities?”

While that’s certainly a hot topic to debate, the question addressed here is “How?”

Under the rules of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, teams can break down a large trade into whatever legal combination most suits them.  It doesn’t have to be a single transaction but can be a number of smaller ones in tandem.

For the Lakers, it was moderately complicated.  Bynum was traded for Howard and Clark.  McRoberts was used to acquire Duhon.  Eyenga did not bring a player back, generating a $1,174,080 trade exception (TPE) the Lakers can use for up to a year.

It was straight-forward for the Nuggets who simply traded Afflalo and Harrington for Iguodala.  For the Sixers, a single deal was done with Iguodala, Vucevic and Harkless for Bynum and Richardson.

It’s the Magic deal that took considerable ingenuity to construct.  In addition to the players received, Orlando ended up with a $17,816,880 TPE for Howard.  While a basic trade was possible, how exactly was the deal structured to also generate the league’s largest TPE?

For some background, Orlando made a deal earlier in the summer that sent Ryan Anderson to the New Orleans Hornets for Gustavo Ayon.  The Hornets had enough cap room to absorb Anderson via sign and trade at $8.7 million.

Additionally, the Magic were holding onto a $4.25 million TPE from the Brandon Bass/Glen Davis trade.  Ayon, at $1.5 million, was acquired via part of the Bass TPE . . . leaving a remainder of $2.75 million.  Because Anderson got a raise greater than 20%, the Magic received a $4.35 million TPE.

In exiting Howard, the Orlando executed the following:

■Christian Eyenga and Josh McRoberts via the $4.35 million Anderson TPE, leaving a negligible remainder of $40,920.
■Arron Afflalo and Al Harrington for Jason Richardson, Chris Duhon and Earl Clark.
■Mo Harkless via the Brandon Bass TPE, leaving a remainder of $1,018,040 which expires on December 12
■Nikola Vucevic for Dwight Howard, generating a TPE of $17,816,880 which won’t expire until next August 10, 2013.
So in simplistic terms, Howard was traded for Nikola Vucevic and whatever that massive TPE yields over the next year.

The Magic are rebuilding and initially may not look to spend.  The team just climbed down from tax territory to about $6.2 million under the $70.3 million tax threshold.

Even if the team holds through the trade deadline in February, the Magic go into the June 2013 NBA Draft and July free agency with a powerful tool.  Orlando may also look to help broker a deal should two teams need a third to execute a complicated transaction.  The Magic would love to continue collect draft picks and young talent.

It remains to be seen how well Magic general manager Rob Hennigan did with the Howard trade but given the intricacy, he clearly didn’t rush into a frivolous decision.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/how-exactly-was-dwight-howard-traded/

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2012, 08:06:14 PM »
As stated, I'm not talking about payroll or financial leverage.

The Yankees GM job is a relentless one - 80+ hrs/week easily, hardly ever home, intense media scrutiny, demanding ownership and fan base, new CBA rules which will instill new constraints associated with larger payrolls, insane internal politics (this has lessened a bit since Cashman demanded , etc....Yeah, they can spend the most, but that also comes with unrealistic expectations.  Also, as the Red Sox are learning, it takes more than big money, it takes spending wisely.

spending wisely?  you say that like there's a cap

the yankess can eat a bad contract and move on, the pirates can't... the red sox are having one bad year, they will be back

E
E

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2012, 05:01:13 AM »
spending wisely?  you say that like there's a cap

the yankess can eat a bad contract and move on, the pirates can't... the red sox are having one bad year, they will be back

E

There's no MLB enforced cap, but there are internal caps.  Yankees have passed on numerous players over the last five years because of it.   They're roped into long term deals.  Contrary to what you're inferring, there's not unlimited spending.   For instance, under the new CBA, if NY gets there payroll to 189M for just one year, it could save them tens of millions of dollars.  It's not an unlimited checkbook.

I am a Yankees fan, so the question isn't fair.  So yes, I'd rather work for the Yankees.  But as the job goes, the Pirates GM has it easier.
Y