Author Topic: Rowing machine for cardio  (Read 7461 times)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Rowing machine for cardio
« on: May 11, 2012, 12:31:09 PM »
Is the rowing machine good for cardio?  Anybody use it?  Discuss.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Rowing machine for cardio
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 07:10:01 PM »
Most any rowing machine (magnetic/air/water, etc) will demand and improve stamina, exceptional equipment for cardio and fat burning.

Might also consider a Air-Dyne type machine, with push/pull arm action, along with the pump action of the legs.  Don't need a lot of workout days a week to  get the V02 Max capacity up to a very high fat burning zone. Even on resting days, away from any workouts, the body will tend to burn fat. Good Luck.
F

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 07:13:44 PM »
not for beginners for sure. If you're serious into bodybuilding, I would avoid it. Bike, eliptical or treadmill are the easiest and get the job done. The stair master if you're more advanced.
?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 08:56:57 PM »
Remembering that rowing type machines are low impact. Because these exercises do not  bare body weight,  less stress on the body and somewhat joint friendly.

Can be acceptable for beginners or superior advanced trainee's. All depends what the individual goals are and level of personal fitness and ambition to accomplish these goals. Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 09:35:25 AM »
I loved the rowing machine when i trained in a gym..but if your goal is to lose blubber then running/jogging is better. As JPM pointed out itīs not weight bearing but if you run/Jog then you carry more weight and use/burn more calories. I run for cardio and i know that if you can run non stop 30 to 45 mins non stop at a good pace you ARE fit. The rowing machine is good but if you really want to be in shape run/jog.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 04:37:08 PM »
I saw a Cuban guy come out of a row boat in Florida and he was ripped.

Stuff like rowing on a concept machine is a great choice for cardio. My first choice is running but I can't put down anyones choice for cardio. Biking, swimming, running, rowing, fast walking on an incline all have their fans.

Beefjake

• Getbig IV
  • Oh fuck it.
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 05:01:41 AM »
I loved the rowing machine when i trained in a gym..but if your goal is to lose blubber then running/jogging is better. As JPM pointed out itīs not weight bearing but if you run/Jog then you carry more weight and use/burn more calories. I run for cardio and i know that if you can run non stop 30 to 45 mins non stop at a good pace you ARE fit. The rowing machine is good but if you really want to be in shape run/jog.

Agreed. I think rowing machine is, or can be, the hardest indoor cardio machine. It's basically endless reps of deadlifts from the block.

If you happen to have access to Concept2 type of rowing machine there are numerous competitions and valid records online for added interest.