Author Topic: Who Hasn't Worked for VKM  (Read 10590 times)

littleguns

• Getbig V
Who Hasn't Worked for VKM
« on: May 16, 2012, 05:39:45 AM »
Just thinking out loud, what wrestlers haven't worked for Vince at one time or another

Obviously Sting...

Nikita Koloff.....

Who else???

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
Re: Who Hasn't Worked for VKM
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 12:50:38 PM »
abdullah the butcher
Flower Boy Ran Away

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 01:07:15 PM »
Jushin "Thunder" Liger

The Great Muta.

Magnum TA (Due to injury)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 03:52:59 PM »
Off the top of my head, quite a few of the current TNA guys have never worked regularly for the old man.
However, guys like AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, and Bobby Roode made one or more appearances in WWF/E matches prior to their TNA gigs.

Liger was a good choice. He did appear on the card during a WWF/NJPW/AJPW summit in Tokyo in 1990, so I don't know if that technically "disqualifies" him from the list.

A list of definites:

"Gentleman" Chris Adams is a name from the 80's that stands out.
Add Rock and Roll Express AND Midnight Express to that.
Stu Hart attended WWF events, was shown on camera, and was semi-involved in various story lines, but never worked a match.
Fritz Von Erich never performed inside a WWE ring, and I believe that Kerry was the only one of his sons to work for Vince.
Wahoo McDaniel may have eventually found his way into the WWWF had Joe Scarpa not been working the Chief Jay gimmick at the time.
Although Michael Hayes eventually joined the Fed in more of an executive capacity (first as Doc Hendrix, no less), none of the Fabulous Freebirds ever wrestled in WWF.

There are quite a few names from today's generation who've made their rounds to Big Japan, TNA, ROH, and a plethora of indy promotions. Unfortunately, I no longer keep tabs on the "minor-leagues" of pro-wrestling.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 10:20:04 AM »
Off the top of my head, quite a few of the current TNA guys have never worked regularly for the old man.
However, guys like AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, and Bobby Roode made one or more appearances in WWF/E matches prior to their TNA gigs.

Liger was a good choice. He did appear on the card during a WWF/NJPW/AJPW summit in Tokyo in 1990, so I don't know if that technically "disqualifies" him from the list.

A list of definites:

Stu Hart attended WWF events, was shown on camera, and was semi-involved in various story lines, but never worked a match.
Fritz Von Erich never performed inside a WWE ring, and I believe that Kerry was the only one of his sons to work for Vince.
Wahoo McDaniel may have eventually found his way into the WWWF had Joe Scarpa not been working the Chief Jay gimmick at the time.
Although Michael Hayes eventually joined the Fed in more of an executive capacity (first as Doc Hendrix, no less), none of the Fabulous Freebirds ever wrestled in WWF.

There are quite a few names from today's generation who've made their rounds to Big Japan, TNA, ROH, and a plethora of indy promotions. Unfortunately, I no longer keep tabs on the "minor-leagues" of pro-wrestling.

I am almost certain that Kevin Von Erich worked a few matches for Vince Sr. back in the late 70's or early 80's (back when he actually wore boots) as did Kerry at that same time and I would think that David did as well but I can't recall specifically about him.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 04:49:45 PM »
Add Venom Vince Versace.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 10:44:40 AM »
CHICK DONOVAN,,,

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 12:29:39 PM »

A list of definites:

Wasn't Terry "Bam Bam" Gordy the Executioner in 1996, who cracked the Undertaker in the head with the shovel, during the "Buried Alive" match in 1996 and save Paul Bearer at Survivor Series?

The Rock-and-Roll expressed did wrestle in WWE, as part of the NWA gimmick in late '97 and early '98. They also wrestled as part of "Smoky Mountain Wrestling" at the 1993 Survivor Series, defending the SMW tag titles against the Heavenly Bodies (with Jim Cornette).

That match ended when one of the Bodies threw Morton over the top rope. Gibson thought the match was over, because throwing someone over the top is a DQ in Smoky Mountain. But, JR and Gorilla Monson told the viewers that the match was under WWF rules, thus there's no DQ for tossing someone over the top rope. Cornette hit Gibson with the tennis racket (which is a DQ; but the ref didn't see it) and the Heavenly Bodies won the Smoky Mountain tag team titles.

The Midnight Express did and didn't wrestle for McMahon. "Sweet" Stan Lane and "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton didn't. Jim Cornette made a "new" Midnight Express, in the form of "Bodacious Bob" (Bob Holly) and "Bombastic Bart" (Bart Gunn).

And, I believe there was a brief feud in WWE between The Rock-n-Roll Express and the "new" Midnight Express.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 06:12:28 PM »
Wasn't Terry "Bam Bam" Gordy the Executioner in 1996, who cracked the Undertaker in the head with the shovel, during the "Buried Alive" match in 1996 and save Paul Bearer at Survivor Series?

The Rock-and-Roll expressed did wrestle in WWE, as part of the NWA gimmick in late '97 and early '98. They also wrestled as part of "Smoky Mountain Wrestling" at the 1993 Survivor Series, defending the SMW tag titles against the Heavenly Bodies (with Jim Cornette).

That match ended when one of the Bodies threw Morton over the top rope. Gibson thought the match was over, because throwing someone over the top is a DQ in Smoky Mountain. But, JR and Gorilla Monson told the viewers that the match was under WWF rules, thus there's no DQ for tossing someone over the top rope. Cornette hit Gibson with the tennis racket (which is a DQ; but the ref didn't see it) and the Heavenly Bodies won the Smoky Mountain tag team titles.

The "Midnight Express" did and didn't wrestle for McMahon. "Sweet" Stan Lane and "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton didn't. Jim Cornette made a "new" Midnight Express, in the form of "Bodacious Bob" (Bob Holly) and "Bombastic Bart" (Bart Gunn).

And, I believe there was a brief feud in WWE between The Rock-n-Roll Express and the "new" Midnight Express.

Shit, that's right. I forgot all about that Executioner gimmick! RIP, Terry.

I honestly have no recollection of the '97/'98 R&RE angle. I must have fried too many brain cells studying for boards.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 07:39:29 PM »

Shit, that's right. I forgot all about that Executioner gimmick! RIP, Terry.

I honestly have no recollection of the '97/'98 R&RE angle. I must have fried too many brain cells studying for boards.

The Rock-N-Roll Express last wrestled (to my knowledge) in WWE at WrestleMania 14, in that tag team Battle Royal, won by LOD 2000.

Check the bottom of the screen at 1:47, between Sunny's legs and over her booty and you'll see them. Gibson and Morton have "NWA" on their tights. Gibson enters the ring at 2:53.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 09:20:29 PM »
Here are the Rock-N-Roll Express, defending the NWA Tag Team Titles against the Headbangers on RAW (Notice that the Rock-N-Roll Express team is using the Rockers' music).

And, here are the new Midnight Express against the Headbangers.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 04:36:46 AM »
Nick Bockwinkle - surprised he never jumped, alot of loyalty to Verne Gagne
Jerry Blackwell

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 02:20:08 PM »
Nick Bockwinkle - surprised he never jumped, alot of loyalty to Verne Gagne
Jerry Blackwell

Two names from the past... Although he never wrestled for Vince, he did work as a WWF road agent following his retirement from AWA.
WCW then used him couple of times after that.

Flex 215

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 03:48:45 PM »

Mont, you know much more than me about the history of wrestling, but the Freebirds were in the WWF at the begining of the Rock and Wrestling connection, around 1983 or 84 i think.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 04:08:09 PM »

Mont, you know much more than me about the history of wrestling, but the Freebirds were in the WWF at the begining of the Rock and Wrestling connection, around 1983 or 84 i think.

Good catch! 8)

Flex 215

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 04:12:33 PM »
Obviously, Sting is the biggest star of the last 40 years to never work for Vince.  Magnum TA and Nikitia are two others who were very popular, but both retired very early in their careers.

Other than Sting, the most popular wrestler of the cable TV era to never work for VKM, was probably the first cable tv star, Tommy Wildfire Rich.  i grew up in a small town, Ashtabula OH, and I remember our area getting channel 19, the superstation out of Atlanta, in 1979.  I had watched some WWWF before that, and loved Superstar Billy Graham, but was losing interest and at the age when you learn it's fake.

Then came Georgia Championship Wrestling, much more realistic people than the other federation, and Tommy Rich was so over it was sick.  A lot of girls were in love with him, and all the guys wanted to be him.  GCW was the first popular wrestling program nationwide because of Ted Turner's station, and Rich was the top face of that time.  Magnum and Nikitia never wore the stap, but Rich did, if only for 5 days.  the real life Tommy Rich was such a drunk, the NWA was worried about their champion getting beat up in bar fights, so they had to give the strap back to real-life tough guy, Harley Race.

Rich got numerous more title chances against Flair, had a huge fued with Buzz Sawyer, and worked in many other NWA territories, as well as WCW and ECW before going to independents.  If he wasn't such a drunk and would've worked out and stayed in shape, or gone on the juice, I bet he would have been in the WWF at some point.  But still it's strange that VKM never took him in, if only to embarress Rich, like he loved to do with so many other stars that he did not create.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 04:30:12 PM »
Obviously, Sting is the biggest star of the last 40 years to never work for Vince.  Magnum TA and Nikitia are two others who were very popular, but both retired very early in their careers.

Other than Sting, the most popular wrestler of the cable TV era to never work for VKM, was probably the first cable tv star, Tommy Wildfire Rich.  i grew up in a small town, Ashtabula OH, and I remember our area getting channel 19, the superstation out of Atlanta, in 1979.  I had watched some WWWF before that, and loved Superstar Billy Graham, but was losing interest and at the age when you learn it's fake.

Then came Georgia Championship Wrestling, much more realistic people than the other federation, and Tommy Rich was so over it was sick.  A lot of girls were in love with him, and all the guys wanted to be him.  GCW was the first popular wrestling program nationwide because of Ted Turner's station, and Rich was the top face of that time.  Magnum and Nikitia never wore the stap, but Rich did, if only for 5 days.  the real life Tommy Rich was such a drunk, the NWA was worried about their champion getting beat up in bar fights, so they had to give the strap back to real-life tough guy, Harley Race.

Rich got numerous more title chances against Flair, had a huge fued with Buzz Sawyer, and worked in many other NWA territories, as well as WCW and ECW before going to independents.  If he wasn't such a drunk and would've worked out and stayed in shape, or gone on the juice, I bet he would have been in the WWF at some point.  But still it's strange that VKM never took him in, if only to embarress Rich, like he loved to do with so many other stars that he did not create.

I've always been fascinated with, and appreciated (in a weird kind of way) the lengths to which they used to go to protect the business.
Excellent point about the old man never picking up Rich, at the very least, for the reasons you mentioned. You never hear anything about that. I wonder if it was ever considered, or if an offer was ever made.

Flex 215

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 12:36:06 AM »
        There's an interview of Tommy on youtube from 2009 where he states he had a couple of opportunities to go to the WWF, but he backed out.  Rich said he was just a good ole boy from Tennesee and wanted to be home with his family.  By the late 80's, when he probably would have taken the money of the WWF, Vince probably didn't want him anymore.  Rich was out of shape and wouldn't be believable against most of the steriod monsters at the time.

Rich was an above average worker, especially at the beginning, he was a good natural athlete and very fast, hence the name Wildfire.  And on the mike he was great.  Maybe everthing didn't make sense, but he sounded like a country boy who was fired up and he was so over with the crowd. and from what all the girls said at the time, he was a good looking guy.  If he would have watched his diet and worked out, even without roids, he could have been the top face of the NWA for the entire 80's battling Ric Flair.

Another regular from Georgia Championship Wrestling that never worked for VKM was Ole Anderson.  He probably never forgave Vince from when he bought the time slot on Sat and Sun night on WTBS from Turner when Ole was booker for GCW.  And I guess Vince never forgave Ole for comments about him in his book, since anderson wasn't asked to be enshrined with the Four Horseman this year.

Montague mentioned Chris adams earlier in the thread.  Two guys who both wrestled with him and fueded against him were Iceman King Parsons and Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin.  Both of these guys were crowd favorites who wrestled the entire 80's and into the mid 90's with many different federations, but never for the WWF.  Jimmy Garvin is one of the first wrestlers of the modern era to have a female valet/manager.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 05:12:22 AM »
Another regular from Georgia Championship Wrestling that never worked for VKM was Ole Anderson.  He probably never forgave Vince from when he bought the time slot on Sat and Sun night on WTBS from Turner when Ole was booker for GCW.

Ha!! "Black Saturday."
By most accounts, Ole was AND IS an asshole.

That's some great insight into Tommy. I don't know much about him and I'd never heard of Vince's alleged interest in him.
Good stuff!!

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 06:59:18 AM »
The first time I tuned into GCW Rich was chasing The Masked Superstar with a bullwhip and "gettin' far'd up" (getting fired up for you non-southerners).  Gordon was trying to get control of the situation and I was soooooo hooked !!!!!!  I had read about them in mags for yrs, but never got the chance to see it.  We moved to a part of our county that was close to the GA state line and were able to pick it up with an antenna....it faded in and out, but I would just listen to Gordon if the picture was bad.  People who compare "Good ole JR" to him are morons.  No contest.

All good stuff on Rich by Flex.  Tommy was so over it wasn't even funny in the whole GCW territory....of course in GA, but Ohio and Altoona, PA too!  His fued with Sawyer was a top 5 all-time fued, imo.  Pile of shit Ole destroyed the only remaining tapes of the "Last Battle of Atlanta" with a steel cage w/a roof on it (long before VKM's "idea") and was the culmination of a fued that lasted around 2+ yrs with a ton of bloodshed by both guys.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 09:05:24 AM »
I've heard that before.
Why did Ole destroy the footage?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 05:28:29 PM »
I've heard that before.
Why did Ole destroy the footage?

I think that supposedly when the Omni was being destroyed, they had a lot of the old GCW footage stored there.  Ole being Ole just had it destroyed instead of at least combing thru it.  He is such a turd.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 05:33:50 PM »
I think that supposedly when the Omni was being destroyed, they had a lot of the old GCW footage stored there.  Ole being Ole just had it destroyed instead of at least combing thru it.  He is such a turd.

Would this be the same Ole Anderson who said that Mark Callaway didn't have what it took to make it as a main-event guy?

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 05:52:46 PM »
Would this be the same Ole Anderson who said that Mark Callaway didn't have what it took to make it as a main-event guy?

Boy that Rise and Fall of WCW DVD made Ole out to be extremely incompetent.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 06:01:14 PM »

Sad.  Remembering Ole as one half of the Minnesotta Wrecking Crew as a small child, and then an original Horseman get obliterated when I think of what a total jerk/incompetent goof he is.