Author Topic: "In 1995 I had $7 bucks in my pocket"- Dwayne "Rock" Johnson (UPDATE 5_3_12)  (Read 31426 times)

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
  • President Barack Obama -- 2 Term U.S. President
"In 1995 I had $7 bucks in my pocket"

"Keep chasin' your dreams.."

- Dwayne Johnson via Facebook

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dorothypomerantz/2012/05/16/the-rock-is-kicking-ass-and-saving-franchises/

I remember years ago before The Rock really got famous he did a candid interview where he talked about living in a 1 bedroom apartment with his mom, living on bologna sandwiches day in and day out.  

In college he said he couldn't afford a mattress so he found one in a dumpster and slept on it.  He didn't have enough money to live on so he ate macaroni and cheese every day.  

The guy is a great success story.

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
Re: "In 1995 I had $7 bucks in my pocket"- Dwayne "Rock" Johnson
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 10:42:46 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 10:46:38 PM »
"In 1995 I had $7 bucks in my pocket"

"Keep chasin' your dreams.."

- Dwayne Johnson via Facebook

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dorothypomerantz/2012/05/16/the-rock-is-kicking-ass-and-saving-franchises/

I remember years ago before The Rock really got famous he did a candid interview where he talked about living in a 1 bedroom apartment with his mom, living on bologna sandwiches day in and day out. 

In college he said he couldn't afford a mattress so he found one in a dumpster and slept on it.  He didn't have enough money to live on so he ate macaroni and cheese every day. 

The guy is a great success story.

he said he slept on a mattress he got from a dumpster here in /Calgary when he was trying out for the Stampeders

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 11:02:19 PM »
he said he slept on a mattress he got from a dumpster here in /Calgary when he was trying out for the Stampeders

Oh my bad.  I saw the interview like 15 years ago so I wasn't sure.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 11:15:55 PM »
He has a lot of money!

That's tops in my book.

G

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 11:29:36 PM »
Sometimes success is failure turned inside out.

I don't have coin like the rock but in 1994 I was bust, had nothing, just a dream.

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 12:49:30 AM »

Hhahaa  ::)

Most people are that way at the beginning.
Unless they've rich parents, almost everyone starts from nothing.

the trainer

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 07:30:24 AM »
I started from nothing and now i am a high price trainer.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 07:32:50 AM »
He made it in wrestling without having to perform any gay acts  ::)

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 07:34:16 AM »

Considering that I was very fortunate growing up and never really had to struggle...  I love reading stories like that, very interesting to see the other side of the coin and to see where people came from... makes me appreciate what my family was able to give me as they raised me.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 07:38:37 AM »
Considering that I was very fortunate growing up and never really had to struggle...  I love reading stories like that, very interesting to see the other side of the coin and to see where people came from... makes me appreciate what my family was able to give me as they raised me.

Don't buy his bullshit.  His dad was a wrestler and must have made some decent money.  He went to the University of Miami which is a private school and very expensive.  He probably got a scholarship to go there.  Just check out how much tuition is there.  Outrageous.

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 07:47:27 AM »
Don't buy his bullshit.  His dad was a wrestler and must have made some decent money.  He went to the University of Miami which is a private school and very expensive.  He probably got a scholarship to go there.  Just check out how much tuition is there.  Outrageous.

Totally spot on. Its pretty boring all these 'famous' people proclaiming they came from no money or they were bullied ::) Same old shit

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 08:06:02 AM »
Totally spot on. Its pretty boring all these 'famous' people proclaiming they came from no money or they were bullied ::) Same old shit

Ya they all have these stories. Its like they think they get extra credit for coming from nothing. When in reality they got there through connections.

His dad was a wrestler. But I bet he'll tell you his dad had nothing to do with him becoming a wrestler  ::)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 08:19:35 AM »
Ya they all have these stories. Its like they think they get extra credit for coming from nothing. When in reality they got there through connections.

His dad was a wrestler. But I bet he'll tell you his dad had nothing to do with him becoming a wrestler  ::)

The one that bothers me the most is the Bill Gates Story.  Oh he didn't go to highschool and made genious business decisions.  BULLSHIT!!! His mom was a power player in the tech industry.  She sat on the board of IBM and a couple other companies.  She made all of the decisions for her son.  But they forget to tell you this shit.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 08:33:27 AM »
The one that bothers me the most is the Bill Gates Story.  Oh he didn't go to highschool and made genious business decisions.  BULLSHIT!!! His mom was a power player in the tech industry.  She sat on the board of IBM and a couple other companies.  She made all of the decisions for her son.  But they forget to tell you this shit.

I went out with a chick who told me she had a bad childhood, but worked her ass off to get into a top law school and landed a job at a big firm. Wasnt really attracted to her at first, but the fact that she became successful coming from nothing I was so impressed I found her irresistible. I stuck with her for 2 months

later on I find out her father owns the law firm she works at, and hes a professor at Cornell were she went. Oh ya rough life. See ya loser.

Kulutues

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 08:49:48 AM »
fucking hawaiian liar rock stfu u rich piece of garbage

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 09:17:16 AM »
1994 or bust.

i was living in a trailer, walking 2 miles to bag groceries in 94. 

pell grant got me to community college.

today i'm a top-notch getbig poster.

'the rock' approval pending.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 11:11:14 AM »
google 'the rock net worth'    82 million

not a bad 17 years. 

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 11:20:17 AM »
What a lie ... maybe once he snorted too much coke off of some old schmoe's cock and ran outta money ..

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 11:34:09 AM »
Yes but what people don't know is that he had 27 dollars in his pocket before he met Lou Ferrigno

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 12:45:25 PM »
Everyone claiming The Rock came from money:

You don't know the whole story about Rocky Johnson his father, or his mother, or how he got into the University of Miami.

His father is a well documented ASSHOLE, who fucked over everyone he was ever involved with including Dwayne's mom.  He wasn't there when Dwayne was growing up and didn't help support Dwayne.

His mom worked for a small wrestling organization in Hawaii, and she struggled.

Dwayne went to the U on a scholarship, and struggled to feed himself while there.

It was Pat Patterson, who was good friends with Dwayne's dead grandfather Peter Miavia, who gave Dwayne a shot in the WWF.  Dwayne was fortunate enough to have the skill and athletic ability to earn a spot on the roster. 

MikMaq

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 12:51:12 PM »
In 1995, I had a personal driver, a full time cook, a bodyguard that was six times my size and to top it I had two months paid vacation every year.  Now in my 25th year. I'm stuck walking everywhere, can't afford food, and I struggle to find a bed that will fit my size, dammit how things have changed :'(

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 12:55:09 PM »
BWAHAHAHA.  Bullshit, scholarship athletes have no issues eating.  The school provides the football players plenty of food.  They all get cafeteria passes with unlimited access to all food.  They all have coaches and Personal Trainers and dieticians.  College football is a multi billion dollar industry and colleges makes millions and millions and make sure their players are up to par.  Miami especially took care of it's athletes in many legal and illegal ways.

Everyone claiming The Rock came from money:

You don't know the whole story about Rocky Johnson his father, or his mother, or how he got into the University of Miami.

His father is a well documented ASSHOLE, who fucked over everyone he was ever involved with including Dwayne's mom.  He wasn't there when Dwayne was growing up and didn't help support Dwayne.

His mom worked for a small wrestling organization in Hawaii, and she struggled.

Dwayne went to the U on a scholarship, and struggled to feed himself while there.

It was Pat Patterson, who was good friends with Dwayne's dead grandfather Peter Miavia, who gave Dwayne a shot in the WWF.  Dwayne was fortunate enough to have the skill and athletic ability to earn a spot on the roster. 

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 01:03:25 PM »
BWAHAHAHA.  Bullshit, scholarship athletes have no issues eating.  The school provides the football players plenty of food.  They all get cafeteria passes with unlimited access to all food.  They all have coaches and Personal Trainers and dieticians.  College football is a multi billion dollar industry and colleges makes millions and millions and make sure their players are up to par.  Miami especially took care of it's athletes in many legal and illegal ways.

I don't know what it's like nowadays, but in the 80's and 90's student athletes didn't get shit.

1980s: Luther Campbell's "pay for play"
2 Live Crew member Luther Campbell was alleged to have been behind what was referred to as a "pay-for-play" system, which involved cash rewards for acts such as scoring touchdowns and big hits,[135] although Campbell has never actually donated to the University of Miami or its athletics department.

He was playing players because they barely had enough money to eat.  350 lbs men can't live on 3 normal sized meals per day.

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 01:04:21 PM »
Specifically addressed in this video: