Author Topic: What is the Purpose of Facebook?  (Read 16089 times)

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
Re: What is the Purpose of Facebook?
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2012, 09:27:47 PM »
Did you know that because of the Chinese, soon all of the American Ash tree species will be wiped out due to a wood boring beetle created in cat feces by Asians.  
You're not a "big picture" kind of guy, are you?

G

bighead

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2012, 09:29:16 PM »
true adonis, I always dismissed you as an ignorant. good thread.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2012, 09:36:18 PM »
You're not a "big picture" kind of guy, are you?

Indeed I am.  The big picture is overpopulation which will be and is the largest problem facing the earth as well as humanity.  The competition for resources will not be bearable or sustainable.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2012, 09:40:17 PM »
Indeed I am.  The big picture is overpopulation which will be and is the largest problem facing the earth as well as humanity.  The competition for resources will not be bearable or sustainable.

Then why aren't you ranting and raving over the problems being caused by your own people?

Are they specially protected from logical analysis because you happen to be among them?

That's tribalism (a major problem in itself, BTW) not a big picture analysis. It's a shortcut to thinking, a dangerous form of intellectual laziness. It is, indeed, the antithesis of big picture thinking.
G

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2012, 09:46:51 PM »
Then why aren't you ranting and raving over the problems being caused by your own people?

Are they specially protected from logical analysis because you happen to be among them?

That's tribalism (a major problem in itself, BTW) not a big picture analysis. It's a shortcut to thinking, a dangerous form of intellectual laziness. It is, indeed, the antithesis of big picture thinking.
Humans should curtail their birth rate no matter where they come from.

No Patience

• Getbig IV
  • adaptation is the creator of evolution
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2012, 09:55:32 PM »
Did you know that because of the Chinese, soon all of the American Ash tree species will be wiped out due to a wood boring beetle created in cat feces by Asians.  

I stayed at a cabin in colorado a few years back and over half the pine were dead from a beetle...one bad lightning strike and much of this area will be cooked in hours

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2012, 09:59:20 PM »
I stayed at a cabin in colorado a few years back and over half the pine were dead from a beetle...one bad lightning strike and much of this area will be cooked in hours
We can thank the Chinese for all of that.

No Patience

• Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
We can thank the Chinese for all of that.

i heard it was a japanese beatle but either way....

Thoth

• Getbig II
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2012, 10:08:38 PM »
It is a gimmick to obtain information.  A small hint is how hard it was pushed by the media.  I think MySpace was set to be one as well but failed.  

Just think, if the people as a whole knew the gov't or Cia etc was trying to compile a database it would cause a lot of shit.  Now, if it's setup as something for the people to use to congregate amongst one another and find their old friends etc.  In other words, a tool to benefit them, they (the people) will gladly give up their info and post their pics up because it satisfies their own personal interests.  Just look at how hard of a time the gov't has with the census.  But as long as the sheeple have a common interest or self interest in this, they will gladly play along.

The whole Zuckerburg movie and story could be one big propaganda piece.  I'm sure he went to harvard (most gov't officials and cia officers do), and I'm sure he created the software.  But still, that doesn't mean this is not Facebook's true purpose.  I'm sure if any of us were in Zuckerburg's position and the CIA or Gov't approached us, I'm sure we'd play ball.  Imagine the power they give him back in return.  I'm sure Bill Gates is getting the same treatment.  Seriously, with internet providers now providing all this internet service and Gates creating the software, there's no telling how much info we unknowingly give the gov't.  Remember all the "backdoor" fiasco going on with Microsoft?  That's probably nothing compared to what really goes on behind the scenes.

There's a documentary somewhere on youtube about a "secret room" in AT&T that the gov't has set up.  The actual employees of the place are not allowed near it.  They did however provide pics of it and of some of the people walking in and out.  But it's def the gov't.  They're supposedly monitoring all of the American peoples usage through that office.  

Just think, if you were Zuckerburg, Gates, Comcast or Xfinity now, At&T, etc.  You're telling me you wouldn't help the gov't?  This means your business is pretty much guaranteed to succeed.  The gov't will make sure of it because your playing ball for them and keeping their hands clean.

Facebook is literally a gov't database.  They have something they've never had before.  Before the most updated info they had was your drivers license.  On that was one awful picture, your addy, social, and so forth.  Ever so often people might get a new shitty pic taken for that.  But now, they have your updated pics, who your married to or currently dating.  Where you work, your updated phone numbers, your political thoughts, your tastes in tv, music, your personality can be determined by your posts and messages.  They have everything now and the funny thing is we're updating it for them.

Another trend i'm starting to see is on police or cop shows...now the detectives are going straight to facebook to find the criminal.  Facebook is a modern day Trojan Horse.

No Patience

• Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2012, 10:11:56 PM »
if humans would just zoom out on the earth and take a look, we would all realize that the human is actually the most powerful virus the earth has had...we literally do nothing but destroy nature...of course we are nature but we fuck shit up at a pace that no other creature ever could...smart enough to think beyond daily survival=ultimate greed and proof that the smartest being can be the most ignorant via greed

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2012, 10:17:53 PM »
i heard it was a japanese beatle but either way....
Same difference. ha ha

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2012, 10:20:51 PM »
It is a gimmick to obtain information.  A small hint is how hard it was pushed by the media.  I think MySpace was set to be one as well but failed.  

Just think, if the people as a whole knew the gov't or Cia etc was trying to compile a database it would cause a lot of shit.  Now, if it's setup as something for the people to use to congregate amongst one another and find their old friends etc.  In other words, a tool to benefit them, they (the people) will gladly give up their info and post their pics up because it satisfies their own personal interests.  Just look at how hard of a time the gov't has with the census.  But as long as the sheeple have a common interest or self interest in this, they will gladly play along.

The whole Zuckerburg movie and story could be one big propaganda piece.  I'm sure he went to harvard (most gov't officials and cia officers do), and I'm sure he created the software.  But still, that doesn't mean this is not Facebook's true purpose.  I'm sure if any of us were in Zuckerburg's position and the CIA or Gov't approached us, I'm sure we'd play ball.  Imagine the power they give him back in return.  I'm sure Bill Gates is getting the same treatment.  Seriously, with internet providers now providing all this internet service and Gates creating the software, there's no telling how much info we unknowingly give the gov't.  Remember all the "backdoor" fiasco going on with Microsoft?  That's probably nothing compared to what really goes on behind the scenes.

There's a documentary somewhere on youtube about a "secret room" in AT&T that the gov't has set up.  The actual employees of the place are not allowed near it.  They did however provide pics of it and of some of the people walking in and out.  But it's def the gov't.  They're supposedly monitoring all of the American peoples usage through that office.  

Just think, if you were Zuckerburg, Gates, Comcast or Xfinity now, At&T, etc.  You're telling me you wouldn't help the gov't?  This means your business is pretty much guaranteed to succeed.  The gov't will make sure of it because your playing ball for them and keeping their hands clean.

Facebook is literally a gov't database.  They have something they've never had before.  Before the most updated info they had was your drivers license.  On that was one awful picture, your addy, social, and so forth.  Ever so often people might get a new shitty pic taken for that.  But now, they have your updated pics, who your married to or currently dating.  Where you work, your updated phone numbers, your political thoughts, your tastes in tv, music, your personality can be determined by your posts and messages.  They have everything now and the funny thing is we're updating it for them.

Another trend i'm starting to see is on police or cop shows...now the detectives are going straight to facebook to find the criminal.  Facebook is a modern day Trojan Horse.
I remember the AT&T thing very well.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2012, 10:27:36 PM »
I am 100 percent sure the Department of Homeland Security monitors Facebook as best as they can.  Why wouldn`t they?  The IRS already uses Facebook to catch Tax evaders.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125132627009861985.html

Is 'Friending' in Your Future? Better Pay Your Taxes First

By LAURA SAUNDERS

Tax deadbeats are finding someone actually reads their MySpace and Facebook postings: the taxman.

State revenue agents have begun nabbing scofflaws by mining information posted on social-networking Web sites, from relocation announcements to professional profiles to financial boasts.

In Minnesota, authorities were able to levy back taxes on the wages of a long-sought tax evader after he announced on MySpace that he would be returning to his home town to work as a real-estate broker and gave his employer's name. The state collected several thousand dollars, the full amount due.
[facebook] Getty Images

The IRS might be looking at your Facebook profile.

Meanwhile, agents in Nebraska collected $2,000 from a deejay after he advertised on his MySpace page that he would be working at a big public party.

In California, which has recently been so strapped for revenue it has had to pay some bills with IOUs, agents are also using social Web sites. When one delinquent was identified as a rigger of sails, a curious collection agent searched his name and the term online and found a discussion board used by local riggers. In one thread someone asked where the rigger was because his store had closed, and a reply was posted, "Oh, he moved across the bay." The agent found the man and collected a four-figure sum.

An Internal Revenue Service spokesman declined to say whether its agents use social-networking sites to pursue delinquent taxes or assist audits.

Searches for tax dodgers typically begin with examinations of bank, employment, tax, and motor-vehicle records. "These new supplements are often far more efficient than the older ones, such as reading the local newspaper or making inquiries at barbershops and church meetings," said Jim Eads, director of the Federation of Tax Administrators.

Now, when a tax dodger can't be found, said Nebraska tax official Steven Schroeder, agents often turn to Google. One agent collected $30,000 of unpaid tax from a resident after a Google search found him listed as a high-ranking local marketing rep for a national firm. If a Google online search isn't productive, agents use the social sites or chat rooms in a last-chance hunt for their quarries.

There are limits to what state agents can do on the Web. In Nebraska, agents are only allowed to use information that is publicly available online. So, MySpace -- owned by News Corp., publisher of The Wall Street Journal -- tends to work best because its users often post more public information than do those of sites like Facebook, Mr. Schroeder said. The default settings for adults on MySpace create a public profile, while the default settings on Facebook create a profile only viewable by an approved list of friends.

"Agents are not allowed to 'friend' someone using false information," Mr. Schroeder said. The same ethics rules hold in California, according to a spokesman for the state's Franchise Tax Board.

Not all state tax departments are jumping on the trend. Massachusetts, long known for its aggressive tax collections, said it has "no systematic program" for trawling social media at the moment. According to Mr. Eads of the tax administrators' group, many state tax authorities currently block social sites on workplace computers to prevent employees from spending personal time on them. "They may change their minds," he said.

"Using social media is something we will explore," said Jessica Iverson, a spokesman for the Wisconsin Department of Revenue. A spokesman for Oregon's revenue agency said his state is also "considering it."

Other states are looking for ways use Internet information to enhance not only collections but also audits and negotiations. A Minnesota tax official said that when firms try to negotiate payments by claiming to be strapped for cash, agents always check their Web sites. At the time one tanning business was crying poverty to the state, agents pointed out that its site boasted of supplying all the tans for participants in a big body-building contest.

Rhino

• Getbig IV
  • Jesus Christ is lord and savior
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2012, 10:36:10 PM »
Its impossible to consume what is not available or what is not bought.  America was at its best without China or anything to do with China and I think its time for that kind of policy once again. 

Of course curtailing them a bit would also be a good idea as their population is out of control.  They are pretty worthless anyways and really don`t have any entertainment value for America or the rest of the world for that matter so nobody would miss them.
no one will miss love you long time and happy ending?
X

bighead

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2012, 10:44:46 PM »

yep pretty much on the money,. a sad state of affairs for us all. REVOLUTION!!!

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2012, 10:54:29 PM »
Its more to do with my fascination with manipulation with a given stimuli more than anything.  I enjoy studying humans and their environment and have been accused of being a data gathering robot, which I must confess, is more or less correct.

You're a narcist and a psychopath. You don't have real friends.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2012, 11:19:21 PM »
I don't think there's something wrong with Facebook if used responsibly or sparingly. Problem is, people can't seem to use it without resorting to delusions, lies and plain old attention whoring. Trying like hell to be more interesting than they really are, smarter than they really are and shamelessly plagiarizing thoughts and ideas. I once wrote why I deactivated my Facebook account, it still rings true in my opinion.

Deactivated my in 2009. I got sick of;

Fat, ugly people posting every single detail of their miserable fucking lives with idiotic updates.

'Michelle is walking to her car' . Seriously? You SERIOUSLY stopped for a minute to post that?? 2min later.. 'Michelle is in her car' ....... Lord.

'I just woke up. That was a great sleep' .. ??? Wish you died while sleeping you fucking idiot so you could spare me trudging through the excrement that falls from your brain.

The religious weirdos. 'Praise God, Give him your life!!!' . Praise Satan! Glory to him!

A 50 year old fat mom posting things such as 'Hey Jay, whatZ up d00d!' . /facepalm

People posting 3030820940239402934 pics of their new born babies, ecstatically go on how beautiful he/she is. Hmm, not really. Looks like wrinkled up, ugly screaming alien.

People (girls usually) posting shit such as 'I love *********. He is my world. My everything. Without him my life wouldn't be worth living. I love you baby, forever'. Sweet Jesus. Do you know he probably spend 80% of his internet-time jacking off to porn whilst dreaming of banging every chick that so much as look at him.

Then the pseudo 'deep thinkers'. 'Love means wanting the other person to be happy, even if that means they can't stay with you' or some shit like that. Usually single, dysfunctional having spent years convincing themselves that they're enlightened and that the world don't deserve people like them.

The artists. Tortured souls on the verge of suicide for their art whilst living off benefits and government handouts. Would usually steal quotes from actual great artists and pass it off as their own. 'I saw an angel in the marble and carved until I set her free'.

The man-haters. Usually fat, oily, spending 10 hours a day on Facebook taking pot shots at men since they have nothing better to do and couldn't get a stray dog to fuck them.

Finally, the ones that quit Facebook and make a big deal out of it in their status updates. 'I'm leaving all this, see you in real life' .... only to be back two days later after realizing they don't have a real life.

And so on ..

No thanks. Zero interest in social media or having to read what morons think and do with their lives. Nobody is that interesting.

/meltdown  :P

Last time I checked there was some desperately sad and attention whoring going on. The people that I actually WANT to hear from would never post since they're not bored enough to litter their updates with inane ramblings.

I'm just not cut out for the bullshit that comes along with this new movement.

bighead

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2012, 11:19:42 PM »
You're a narcist and a psychopath. You don't have real friends.

a true narcisist and or psycho would never reveal that info. he is just a wannabe. I like him.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2012, 12:26:10 AM »
on this day, not a single fck was given.

when you're young or immature, you might freak the fck out when unfriended.

when you're older, and you've been thru real shit... little things like that matter not.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2012, 01:14:26 AM »

I'm really happy Adonis is posting on here regularly again!   ;D

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2012, 01:41:11 AM »
I'm really happy Adonis is posting on here regularly again!   ;D
My Positronic Brain forces me to do so.  :D

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2012, 02:34:17 AM »
Dont see the point in it, to me a private life is exactly that, a private life.If I want to be around people I go be around people, you need both in moderation, not some 24 hour tell all about your life, posted online.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2012, 02:52:47 AM »
One good thing about all these sites like Facebook, twitter, myspace etc is that they make it very easy to look someone up before you meet them, like a date for example. This one chick I went on a date with a week ago I already knew in a way before I even met her. All I needed was her dating username and her real first name and I could dig up all kinds of stuff:

- Works at a theater for kids
- Studying to become a kindergarten teacher
- Just broke up with her bf two months ago
- Her new shoes were fucking up her feet
- Studies at *********
- Likes/dislikes this and that

etc etc

One thing I've learned over the years is to never use the same profile name for different websites and don't give away too many clues that people could use to google you up.
from incomplete data

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2012, 03:05:50 AM »
1. Getting laid
2. Organizing events with friends
3. Sharing music, video, pics etc
4. Keeping in touch with people you'd never meet otherwise
5. Seeking information about people

List is endless really