Author Topic: What is the Purpose of Facebook?  (Read 16085 times)

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
Re: What is the Purpose of Facebook?
« Reply #150 on: May 23, 2012, 02:53:17 AM »
So was MySpace, and so was Friends Reunited before that.

They've since died a death and Facebook will surely follow.
What about talking movies?

G

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #151 on: May 23, 2012, 03:08:14 AM »
What about talking movies?

What's your point?

As with anything in life, things evolve - with movies the technology has improved, special effects, CGI etc.

Social networking is the same - Friends Reunited evolved to Myspace, which evolved to Facebook. Twitter and Google+ are offshoots of that too. Even Getbig is a form of social networking.

Facebook will be improved upon and will not be around forever - something else will take its place - why people are putting all their eggs in one basket with Facebook is beyond me. There's absolutely no way that company's valuation will stay at $100 billion.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #152 on: May 23, 2012, 07:19:05 AM »
it was mainly created to find your old friends,.. those whom you thought you would never know anything about again!!..

No it wasn't.  It was a site to have chicks post their photos for little nerds to jerk off to.  Hence the name FACEbook.  It was a little harvard site to hook up and find parties.  it eventually became a find an old friend type thing.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #153 on: May 23, 2012, 07:22:49 AM »
What's your point?

As with anything in life, things evolve - with movies the technology has improved, special effects, CGI etc.

Social networking is the same - Friends Reunited evolved to Myspace, which evolved to Facebook. Twitter and Google+ are offshoots of that too. Even Getbig is a form of social networking.

Facebook will be improved upon and will not be around forever - something else will take its place - why people are putting all their eggs in one basket with Facebook is beyond me. There's absolutely no way that company's valuation will stay at $100 billion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TheGlobe.com

Facebook's predecessor.

RustyTrenbolona

• Getbig IV
  • ...but it's just an empty sandwich bag...
« Reply #154 on: May 23, 2012, 07:34:10 AM »
No it wasn't.  It was a site to have chicks post their photos for little nerds to jerk off to.  Hence the name FACEbook.  It was a little harvard site to hook up and find parties.  it eventually became a find an old friend type thing.

qft

a site for little harvard nerds to jack off to chicks they would never dare talking to in reality. seems like there were more of those around the world than anyone would ever have imagined ???

MikMaq

« Reply #155 on: May 23, 2012, 07:36:05 AM »
Facebook is fine, it's the fing people that, that have like 600 contacts that are the problem. I use  it to keep tabs on friends and family, not to impress random fucking people I don't care about. It's good to know whats going on with people it beats, gossiping too, because it avoids the broken telephone. I know whats going on with the peoples i care about. I know my uncle is waiting to get home, my buddy is being a mopey bitch and should be avoided, my cousin can't wait to see his son, my goddaughter is growing up, and I know where an old school buddy just got a job.  

RustyTrenbolona

• Getbig IV
« Reply #156 on: May 23, 2012, 07:38:41 AM »
Yes, FB is tearing apart the constitution.

Good point.

Better buy some more guns.

well trolled and/or not very bright or both  ;D

not just facebook, brainman, the entire online community/generation. You made my point when you mentioned the steroid board, and the info people are willing to put out in public.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #157 on: May 23, 2012, 07:42:20 AM »
When FB started you had to have a college (.edu) email address to sign up.  There were hardly any privacy features (everyone could see everyone else's shit even if you weren't "friends") but you could only be friends with people on your school's network.  Eventually they made it so you could be friends with anyone.

I remember it being a big deal when they made a special high school Facebook too.  I think that's merged with the regular one now.

RustyTrenbolona

• Getbig IV
« Reply #158 on: May 23, 2012, 08:10:21 AM »
When FB started you had to have a college (.edu) email address to sign up.  There were hardly any privacy features (everyone could see everyone else's shit even if you weren't "friends") but you could only be friends with people on your school's network.  Eventually they made it so you could be friends with anyone.

I remember it being a big deal when they made a special high school Facebook too.  I think that's merged with the regular one now.

quite.

the main success was some how getting colleges to offer this to their students. The schools then pushed it onto the students and the rest is history. Incoming freshmen got it automatically lol..

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #159 on: May 23, 2012, 08:15:20 AM »
Like all hot trends, Facebook too will pass.  The ones who LOVED it will begin to feel old, seeing the new generation of kids obsessing over something totally fresh/new.

Just like the peeps who tried to keep MySpace alive... ;)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #160 on: May 23, 2012, 08:58:42 AM »
Like all hot trends, Facebook too will pass.  The ones who LOVED it will begin to feel old, seeing the new generation of kids obsessing over something totally fresh/new.

Just like the peeps who tried to keep MySpace alive... ;)

The death of myspace was the sale to newscorp which will also be the death of facebook with the IPO.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #161 on: May 23, 2012, 09:06:45 AM »
The purpose: For jilted lovers/husband/wives to stalk the new lovers/husband/wives and issue empty threats of harm and abuse. Said victims then issue there own threats, and then use their "friends" to issue more...it all becomes one big circle jerk of threats, meltdowns, tearful confessions, that are hilarious for the idle viewer who watches everything unfold. With Facebook you don't need daytime soap operas like "Guiding Light".

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #162 on: May 23, 2012, 10:19:44 AM »
The death of myspace was the sale to newscorp which will also be the death of facebook with the IPO.
^^
EXCELLENT comment!!!!!

viking1

• Getbig V
« Reply #163 on: May 23, 2012, 10:23:03 AM »
what about Yahoo Chat... 

that was the shit right there

:D

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #164 on: May 23, 2012, 10:28:58 AM »
what about Yahoo Chat... 

that was the shit right there

:D

ICQ is straight up gangsta

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #165 on: May 23, 2012, 01:40:36 PM »
The internet was created by a guy from CERN. CERN is the place where they've been looking for the "god particle" by smashing atoms together. There's also a shitload of UFO activity around that area.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #166 on: May 23, 2012, 10:28:43 PM »
The internet was created by a guy from CERN.

No it wasn't.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #167 on: May 24, 2012, 03:14:29 AM »
No it wasn't.

The CERN guy came up with world wide web, right? Whereas the internet was created in the cold war sixties by the us military?
from incomplete data

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #168 on: May 24, 2012, 03:21:13 AM »
The CERN guy came up with world wide web, right? Whereas the internet was created in the cold war sixties by the us military?

Correct - Tim Berners-Lee worked at CERN and came up with the world wide web in the late 80's/early 90's.

The world wide web is one of the many different types of communication services within the Internet, which has been around since the 60's.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #169 on: May 24, 2012, 03:34:27 AM »
Al Gore invented the internet.

End of thread.
G

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #170 on: May 24, 2012, 07:08:29 AM »
CERN may have invented it but getbig perfected it.