Author Topic: Romney Admits Budget Cuts Would Throw Economy Into ‘Recession Or Depression’  (Read 1540 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Romney isn't going to deliver any drastic spending cuts.

He says so himself.

During an interview with Time Magazine’s Mark Halperin (himself a dick), 2012 presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney admitted that drastic spending cuts will hurt the economy, creating a “recession or depression“:

HALPERIN: You have a plan, as you said, over a number of years, to reduce spending dramatically. Why not in the first year, if you’re elected — why not in 2013, go all the way and propose the kind of budget with spending restraints, that you’d like to see after four years in office? Why not do it more quickly?

ROMNEY: Well because, if you take a trillion dollars for instance, out of the first year of the federal budget, that would shrink GDP over 5%. That is by definition throwing us into recession or depression. So I’m not going to do that, of course. What you do is you make adjustments on a basis that show, in the first year, actions that over time get you to a balanced budget.

This, of course, is the point that progressives have been making in response to the House Republican budget, which Romney supports. According to estimates from the Economic Policy Institute, the cuts in the House GOP budget — authored by Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-WI) — would cost the economy 4.1 million jobs over the next two years due to the $400 billion in spending cuts for which it calls. As Esquire’s Charles Pierce, who flagged this particular exchange in the interview, wrote, “didn’t Romney, in saying that, pretty much blow up the entire rationale for over 30 years of Republican economics right there? Cutting government spending will throw us into a recession or depression?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Yeah, we know.
No one cares.
He's better than Mr. freebie, though.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
I met a girl in Ohio who told me she just qualified for the free cell phone program....  :-X

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Where did he say he wouldn't cut spending? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
I met a girl in Ohio who told me she just qualified for the free cell phone program....  :-X

Obamaphones, they're called.  All the rage in Akron.   Some people have 2 or 3 of them, somehow.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Obamaphones, they're called.  All the rage in Akron.   Some people have 2 or 3 of them, somehow.

I'm the real idiot, out their trying to make a living like some kind of Republican asshole. 

I'd probably have a higher standard of living if I just signed up for all these social programs, and moved into one of those government high rises, they're actually pretty nice around here.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
I'm the real idiot, out their trying to make a living like some kind of Republican asshole. 

I'd probably have a higher standard of living if I just signed up for all these social programs, and moved into one of those government high rises, they're actually pretty nice around here.
Yup.

Only people that really benefit from Obama are either those at the very top, or at the very bottom.
Everyone in the middle suffers.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Yeah, we know.
No one cares.He's better than Mr. freebie, though.

you're joking right?

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
Romney isn't going to deliver any drastic spending cuts.

He says so himself.

During an interview with Time Magazine’s Mark Halperin (himself a dick), 2012 presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney admitted that drastic spending cuts will hurt the economy, creating a “recession or depression“:

HALPERIN: You have a plan, as you said, over a number of years, to reduce spending dramatically. Why not in the first year, if you’re elected — why not in 2013, go all the way and propose the kind of budget with spending restraints, that you’d like to see after four years in office? Why not do it more quickly?

ROMNEY: Well because, if you take a trillion dollars for instance, out of the first year of the federal budget, that would shrink GDP over 5%. That is by definition throwing us into recession or depression. So I’m not going to do that, of course. What you do is you make adjustments on a basis that show, in the first year, actions that over time get you to a balanced budget.

This, of course, is the point that progressives have been making in response to the House Republican budget, which Romney supports. According to estimates from the Economic Policy Institute, the cuts in the House GOP budget — authored by Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-WI) — would cost the economy 4.1 million jobs over the next two years due to the $400 billion in spending cuts for which it calls. As Esquire’s Charles Pierce, who flagged this particular exchange in the interview, wrote, “didn’t Romney, in saying that, pretty much blow up the entire rationale for over 30 years of Republican economics right there? Cutting government spending will throw us into a recession or depression?

Source or year this was said?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
you're joking right?

No, pretty sure everyone knows that Romney isnt going to balance the budget, he's not going to dramatically cut spending.
He's not a small government conservative, everyone knows this. Dont think this suprises anyone.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

read the text and you'll see it's current

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
No, pretty sure everyone knows that Romney isnt going to balance the budget, he's not going to dramatically cut spending.
He's not a small government conservative, everyone knows this. Dont think this suprises anyone.

I though your response suggested that no one would care if we went into a recession or depression

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
I though your response suggested that no one would care if we went into a recession or depression
No, not at all.
As in, "no one cares about this quote 240, cause everyone already knows Romney is a big government big spending type, this whole quote is worthless within the context that youre trying to use it." (That context being, trying to get the Conservatives all riled up and defend Romney)

240 is Back

• Getbig V

it waas on politico i think - it was today. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
he says he wont do it in the first year...

you have to take what 165 says with a grain of salt as im sure you all know even his ilk like straw...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
he says he wont do it in the first year...

you have to take what 165 says with a grain of salt as im sure you all know even his ilk like straw...

This definitely shows the scope of the cuts he plans to do.

We're at a $15 tril deficit and he can't cut $1 trillion of that in a year. 

At least he's admitting the change he brings is going to be slow and gradual, I respect that.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

He said taking a trillion off in one year fool.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
He said taking a trillion off in one year fool.

So his changes will be less impactful, I understand that.

What exact number will he be taking off in years 1, 2, 3, and 4?

Or is he being vague and unclear about it?