Author Topic: Krugman: America's Most Dangerous Economist  (Read 3793 times)

howardroark

• Getbig IV
  • Resident Objectivist & Autodidact
Krugman: America's Most Dangerous Economist
« on: May 27, 2012, 11:13:13 AM »
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/krug_attacks_cv5ld2kSZ5DFnNMQcxt8aJ/0

Krug attacks!
The nation’s most dangerous economist, Paul Krugman, releases another book with his only idea for Dems — spend more money

When Paul Krugman dies, he’ll be primarily remembered for three things: He won the 2008 Nobel Prize in economics; he has been one of the world’s most-read and most-influential political pundits; and he said with total seriousness (watch the video) that a way to fix America’s economy would be for the government to spend a ton of money preparing for a nonexistent alien invasion because at least that would get people working.

I’ll save you the trouble of writing in with the riposte, “Where’s your Nobel Prize?” The Nobel committee is not infallible (the guy who invented the lobotomy and declared it “always safe” got a Nobel), but even if it was, Krugman’s award was not for political philosophy but for an arcane point of technical analysis, and even if it were for political philosophy, many economists with the opposite philosophy (Milton Friedman, Gary Becker, Friedrich Hayek) have also won the Nobel.

Krugman is a most unusual economist. Others may measure their words, issue caveats, acknowledge that the research isn’t conclusive, admit that their biases influence their reading of facts. Not Krugman. Krugman is remarkable for his freewheeling writing style, which frequently leads to lively metaphors (“invisible bond-market vigilantes,” “confidence fairy”). He is often dismissive, misleading and tendentious. He changes the subject, ignores inconvenient evidence and plays playground bully to people he sees as ideological enemies (a list longer than Nixon’s). He blasts away at others’ work without even providing the basic courtesy of a link to what he’s talking about, which is a disservice to readers who might like to review the other side of the argument to decide for themselves.

In his new book “End This Depression Now!” (W. W. Norton & Company), he compares Ben Bernanke to the moronic Chance the Gardener in “Being There” — and Bernanke is the man who hired Krugman at Princeton.

Krugman “writes with more vitriol than I find attractive,” writes Harvard economist and fellow Times columnist Greg Mankiw. He treats anyone who disagrees as “a mendacious idiot,” writes George Mason University economist Alex Tabarrok. “Krugman should stop bullying people,” wrote columnist Michael Kinsley.

In short, to use the kind of colorful language the great Nobelist favors, Paul Krugman is a jackass.

Take his recent, bizarre feud with economist Veronique de Rugy. Whenever she cites a number, he wrote recently, “You can pretty much assume that it’s wrong.” Rugy writes from a pro-free-market perspective. Krugman’s principal job may be to throw his readers the liberal equivalent of red meat (organic, sustainable, fair-trade soy with nontoxic pink dye?). But is this the professional courtesy one academic has for a colleague in the field?

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/krug_attacks_cv5ld2kSZ5DFnNMQcxt8aJ#ixzz1w5xIuD6w

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Re: Krugman: America's Most Dangerous Economist
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 11:54:45 AM »
My uncle (family is dominated by far right and far left lunatics) said the debt is a non issue and it's important that we stay the course stimulating the economy.

How can the debt not be an issue?

I understand how spending stimulates the economy, but I don't understand (AT ALL) how they can possibly consider our national debt a non issue?

???

I remember 240 bringing up the fact that our creditors don't have the means to collect on our debt anyway.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 04:27:30 PM »
He's been proven wrong time and time again........wrong on every single thing yet he he still gets to go on TV and talk his book like he actually is a relevant player.

Pathetic.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 06:07:15 PM »

Ask you uncle what he paid for a gallon of milk, gas, water, orange juice, etc 20 years ago vs today and if he feels the quality of said items has improved.  Ask him to the judge his salary during that same time frame and if the ration is the same. 

My uncle (family is dominated by far right and far left lunatics) said the debt is a non issue and it's important that we stay the course stimulating the economy.

I understand how spending stimulates the economy, but I don't understand (AT ALL) how they can possibly consider our national debt a non issue?

???

I remember 240 bringing up the fact that our creditors don't have the means to collect on our debt anyway.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 06:08:10 PM »

When you owe then thousand the bank owns you.

When you owe ten million, YOU own the bank ;)

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 06:12:18 PM »
When the true king's murderers are allowed to roam free, a thousand magicians arise in the land.
G

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 06:15:20 PM »
When you owe then thousand the bank owns you.

When you owe ten million, YOU own the bank ;)

Yawn.  How do you think the debt is financed?   Devaluing the currency and stealing the savings of people through inflation and stelth taxation.

Krugman is a liar and his little space alien invasion is the embodiment of just how delusional and stupid he is.

howardroark

• Getbig IV
  • Resident Objectivist & Autodidact
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 09:11:03 PM »

???

But does spending stimulate the economy?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 12:39:53 PM »
But does spending stimulate the economy?

I can't imagine how it wouldn't stimulate the economy, but I don't really know shit.

I'll check out the video.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 05:15:19 AM »

???

Because when people need to invest in "safe" options they still invest in american bonds despite the fact we are in a huge debt already? I dont know

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 05:18:03 AM »
Because when people need to invest in "safe" options they still invest in american bonds despite the fact we are in a huge debt already? I dont know

Yeah, because we have enough compliant taxpayers who generally pay their taxes and are too stupid to realize that their purchasing power is being stolen from them with all these scams. 

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 05:37:55 AM »

"People"? How much of those govt. issued bonds are being purchased by individual investors and how much is being purchased (monetized) by the Federal Reserve?

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 05:58:10 AM »
"People"? How much of those govt. issued bonds are being purchased by individual investors and how much is being purchased (monetized) by the Federal Reserve?

You are probably right all though i heard individual investors still view US govt. issued bonds as a "safe" investment

Im just trying to chim in here cant say im an expert on this by any means

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 06:37:27 AM »
You are probably right all though i heard individual investors still view US govt. issued bonds as a "safe" investment

I understand what you're saying.

I guess "No return at all" vs "losing bunch of money" makes for an easy choice.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 09:03:27 AM »
Estonian president scolds Paul Krugman on Twitter
 Yahoo News ^ | 6 Jun 2012 | Liz Goodwin

The President of Estonia slammed Nobel laureate and New York Times columnist Paul Krugman on Twitter today over Krugman's short blog post pooh-poohing the Eastern European country's economic recovery.

Krugman wrote that defenders of Europe's austerity measures often point to Estonia's economic recovery to defend their policies. He included a chart that showed the country's rising GDP and added: "Better than no recovery at all, obviously—but this is what passes for economic triumph?"'

Estonia's president Toomas Hendrik Ilves struck back on Twitter. "Let's write about something we know nothing about & be smug, overbearing & patronizing: after all, they're just wogs," Ilves wrote, using the derogatory British slang term for dark-skinned people from Africa or the East.

"Guess a Nobel in trade means you can pontificate on fiscal matters & declare my country a 'wasteland'. Must be a Princeton vs Columbia thing," he added, referencing the two men's alma maters. (It's unclear when and if Krugman actually called Estonia a wasteland, even though Ilves puts the word in quotes.)

So far, Krugman hasn't joined in the Twitter fight.

(Excerpt) Read more at news.yahoo.com ...

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 03:52:51 AM »
I understand what you're saying.

I guess "No return at all" vs "losing bunch of money" makes for an easy choice.

Yup

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 09:06:42 AM »
Why is he still getting any exposure?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 09:33:51 AM »
Paul Krugman: Economy under Obama in a Depression
 Washington Examiner ^ | 6/11/12 | Charlie Spiering

Economist Paul Krugman had bad news for liberals Netroots Nation on Saturday. During his keynote speech the New York Times columnist admitted that the United States economy was suffering a depression. "We don't have a formal definition, I'd say that a Depression is when things are down, when things are terrible for an extended period of time," Krugman said, reminding them that were even "official" periods of recovery during the Great Depression. "So it is again today," he said. "It's not as bad as the Great Depression - there's a winning slogan," he added cynically.

(Excerpt) Read more at campaign2012.washingtone xaminer.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 09:38:32 AM »

It’s relative. The United States is a safe option not because our fiscal situation is so great but because the rest of the world is a bigger basket case.