Author Topic: Intermittent Fasting - Experiences & Discussion:  (Read 33987 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Intermittent Fasting - Experiences & Discussion:
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 06:25:39 PM »
No kidding!

I'm hoping the science isn't so exact!   The problem I have is that when I lean out, I get flat and weak.   I'm hoping something like this eliminates that.  I'm skeptical, but might give it a try.

I still have to go over it all again, but the Bodyrecomp article thoroughly details the effects of the hormonal responses as well as anabolism & catabolism mechanisms with regards to the feed/fast timing.
Lyle usually posts good info, and he really did his homework in researching the workings of this protocol.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 07:24:34 PM »
dude... i'm on my 3rd beer right now and i just finished eating 6 boneless chicken thighs fried in coconut oil... ("breaded" in coconut flour, fine herbs & pepper)...

time for a banana and some peanut butter...

and maybe

another beer

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 06:22:38 AM »
tonnes of guys here with shitty ass physiques who use drugs. Your "point" is void.

logic fail, plenty of guys who look like shit eat six meals a day.

his point still stands, the best physiques in the world use drugs, 6 meals a day has little to do with it, you think ronnie coleman looked the way he did due to 6 meals a day?

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2012, 06:24:11 AM »
besides body composition, this eating style is the best thing you could do for your health, the data bears this out, I can post it if anyone is interested.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 06:34:53 AM »
...the data bears this out, I can post it if anyone is interested.

Please do!! Either here, or if you want, you can edit/add them to the links in my second post of this thread.

Thanks! I look forward to the reading!!

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 03:15:03 PM »
besides body composition, this eating style is the best thing you could do for your health, the data bears this out, I can post it if anyone is interested.

Aside from the physiological benefits from intermittent fasting don't you think eating this way could lead to binge eating for some people?

And please do post the studies regarding the benefits...not that I doubt you just that I've yet to see them.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 05:35:56 PM »
Aside from the physiological benefits from intermittent fasting don't you think eating this way could lead to binge eating for some people?

And please do post the studies regarding the benefits...not that I doubt you just that I've yet to see them.

does for me but the binges are lower in calories than the missed meals...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 05:40:09 PM »

I think "some" is the key word, as binging is a very individual trait. Still, as WOOO points out, the total calories you consume in your eating window will not likely exceed what you would have normally eaten throughout the course of the entire day.
Most people may find it hard to eat that much within that time.

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 05:44:52 PM »

does for me but the binges are lower in calories than the missed meals...

I know with a diet plan with something like on leangains two large meals are consumed during the feeding hours. My concern is if when dropping an IF type diet one would continue to gorge on larger meals simply by way of habit. Binging in general is more of a concern when dieting obviously but for some people including myself it is very easy to get accustomed to certain eating patterns. Not a concern if I would follow IF indefinitely but seriously doubt I ever will. But I know....SELF CONTROL!!!

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 05:51:40 PM »

I think "some" is the key word, as binging is a very individual trait. Still, as WOOO points out, the total calories you consume in your eating window will not likely exceed what you would have normally eaten throughout the course of the entire day.
Most people may find it hard to eat that much within that time.

I agree.

When eating a regular diet at or above maintenance I doubt it would affect anyone including myself. I have been slowly getting rid of the eat every 3 hour thing with larger meals but at first it was hard to eat so much food. Slowly getting used to it and I'm not even doing the IF yet. I just think some get accustomed to certain habbits and become hard to get rid of. And like you said "some"...definitely!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2012, 06:09:27 PM »
I know with a diet plan with something like on leangains two large meals are consumed during the feeding hours. My concern is if when dropping an IF type diet one would continue to gorge on larger meals simply by way of habit. Binging in general is more of a concern when dieting obviously but for some people including myself it is very easy to get accustomed to certain eating patterns. Not a concern if I would follow IF indefinitely but seriously doubt I ever will. But I know....SELF CONTROL!!!

Oh, I get it: you mean if it could lead to binging after going back to conventional eating habits.
I would expect there to be a greater risk in that instance, but again, primarily for people with compulsory habits and/or behavior.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2012, 04:04:49 AM »

my apologies guys, been super busy.

I have a ton here, this is random posting.I'll post more on the effects of hormesis later as it relates to IF.

[http://www.ajcn.org/content/86/1/7.full]
Paper highlights:
"Calorie restriction (CR), defined as a reduction in energy intake without malnutrition, has been shown to increase life span, improve numerous functional indexes, and reduce metabolic risk factors for chronic disease in several mammalian species (1, 2 "). "restricting daily energy intake by 15–40% has been shown in both animals and humans to improve glucose tolerance and insulin action, which indicates an enhancement in insulin sensitivity (7, 8); to reduce blood pressure and the heart rate, which is consistent with benefits for cardiovascular health (9-11); and to reduce oxidative damage to lipids, protein, and DNA, which implies a protective effect against oxidative stress (12-15)" . Many other effects of CR have been documented, including increased average and maximal life span (12), reduced incidence of spontaneous and induced cancers (13), resistance of neurons to degeneration (14), lower rates of kidney disease (15), and prolongation of reproductive function (16). " Although the precise mechanisms responsible for such effects are still not clear, several general hypotheses have been proposed—most prominent are the stress resistance hypothesis, the oxidative stress hypothesis, and the induction of a scarcity program hypothesis (3, 17-19). The first hypothesis suggests that, after prolonged dietary restriction, increased resistance to different types of stressors occurs, which permits the cells of many tissues to resist injury induced by genotoxic, metabolic, or oxidative insults (20-22)  The second hypothesis proposes more specifically that fewer free radicals are produced in the mitochondria of cells, because dietary restriction generally limits energy utilization, which results in less cellular oxidative damage (3). The third hypothesis proposes that CR induces intrinsic cellular and organismal programs for adaptation to scarcity, which result in the slowing of metabolic processes such as cell proliferation that contribute to senescence; this hypothesis has been strengthened by findings in yeast (19). The effects of ADF on these proposed mechanisms have not been explored as extensively as have the effects of CR, but some evidence has been generated, and that will be reviewed here. " To date, 12 studies using animal models have examined the effect of ADF on chronic disease risk (23-34; Table 1). Approximately half of these studies examined variables related to diabetes, such as fasting glucose and insulin concentrations, fat oxidation, degree of insulitis, and occurrence of type 2 diabetes. Fasting glucose concentrations have generally been reported to decrease in response to ADF in animal models. Three studies found reduced circulating glucose concentrations after a 20–24-wk intervention (27, 30), whereas one study reported no effect on glucose concentrations after a 16-wk treatment (24). In the trials that measured insulin concentrations, consistent reductions were noted after ADF regimens that lasted 20 (27) and 24 (28) wk. It is interesting that, in the study of Anson et al (27), both glucose and insulin concentrations decreased to a similar extent in the ADF and the 40% CR groups. Increases in fat oxidation in liver and muscle have also been observed after relatively short periods (8 wk) of ADF (33).  Because impaired fat oxidation may contribute to ectopic accumulation of intracellular lipid and the development of insulin resistance (35), these increases in fat oxidation may increase insulin sensitivity. Also noted by Anson et al was a doubling of the plasma concentrations of ß-hydroxybutyrate in the ADF group but no change in the control group. In contrast, concentrations of this metabolite decreased in the 40% CR group but not in the control group (27). These results suggest that high rates of fatty acid oxidation leading to ketogenesis occurred with ADF but not with 40% CR. Moreover, reduced occurrence of insulin-dependent diabetes in response to ADF has been reported by Pedersen et al (30). These authors found that 77% of the BB rats fed ad libitum control diets developed diabetes, whereas only 52% of the animals fasted for 24 h on alternate days became diabetic. The degree of insulitis, however, was not affected, which suggested that the mechanism most likely did not involve modulation of this inflammatory variable (30).

Effect of intermittent fasting and refeeding on insulin action in healthy men
Nils Halberg,1 Morten Henriksen,1 Nathalie Söderhamn,1 Bente Stallknecht,1Thorkil Ploug,1 Peter Schjerling,2 and Flemming Dela1
1Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre, Department of Medical Physiology, The Panum Institute, University of Copenhagen, Denmark; and 2Copenhagen Muscle Research Center, Department of Molecular Muscle Biology, Rigshospitalet, Denmark

Submitted 9 June 2005 ; accepted in final form 22 July 2005

Insulin resistance is currently a major health problem. This may be because of a marked decrease in daily physical activity during recent decades combined with constant food abundance. This lifestyle collides with our genome, which was most likely selected in the late Paleolithic era (50,000–10,000 BC) by criteria that favored survival in an environment characterized by fluctuations between periods of feast and famine. The theory of thrifty genes states that these fluctuations are required for optimal metabolic function. We mimicked the fluctuations in eight healthy young men [25.0 ± 0.1 yr (mean ± SE); body mass index: 25.7 ± 0.4 kg/m2] by subjecting them to intermittent fasting every second day for 20 h for 15 days. Euglycemic hyperinsulinemic (40 mU·min–1·m–2) clamps were performed before and after the intervention period. Subjects maintained body weight (86.4 ± 2.3 kg; coefficient of variation: 0.8 ± 0.1%). Plasma free fatty acid and -hydroxybutyrate concentrations were 347 ± 18 and 0.06 ± 0.02 mM, respectively, after overnight fast but increased (P < 0.05) to 423 ± 86 and 0.10 ± 0.04 mM after 20-h fasting, confirming that the subjects were fasting. Insulin-mediated whole body glucose uptake rates increased from 6.3 ± 0.6 to 7.3 ± 0.3 mg·kg–1·min–1 (P = 0.03), and insulin-induced inhibition of adipose tissue lipolysis was more prominent after than before the intervention (P = 0.05). After the 20-h fasting periods, plasma adiponectin was increased compared with the basal levels before and after the intervention (5,922 ± 991 vs. 3,860 ± 784 ng/ml,P = 0.02). This experiment is the first in humans to show that intermittent fasting increases insulin-mediated glucose uptake rates, and the findings are compatible with the thrifty gene concept.

Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2010 Dec;13(4):350-5. Epub 2010 Aug 24.
Effect of intermittent fasting on prostate cancer tumor growth in a mouse model.
Thomas JA 2nd, Antonelli JA, Lloyd JC, Masko EM, Poulton SH, Phillips TE, Pollak M, Freedland SJ.
Source

Division of Urologic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Duke Prostate Center, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA.

Abstract
Caloric restriction (CR) has been shown to have anti-cancer properties. However, CR may be difficult to apply in humanssecondary to compliance and potentially deleterious effects. An alternative is intermittent CR, or in the extreme caseintermittent fasting (IF). In a previous small pilot study, we found 2 days per week of IF with ad libitum feeding on the other days resulted in trends toward prolonged survival of mice bearing prostate cancer xenografts. We sought to confirm these findings in a larger study. A total of 100 (7- to 8-week-old) male severe combined immunodeficiency mice were injected subcutaneously with 1 × 10(5) LAPC-4 prostate cancer cells. Mice were randomized to either ad libitum Western Diet (44% carbohydrates, 40% fat and 16% protein) or ad libitum Western Diet with twice-weekly 24 h fasts (IF). Tumor volumes and mouse bodyweights were measured twice weekly. Mice were killed when tumor volumes reached 1000 mm(3). Serum and tumor were collected for analysis of the insulin/insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) hormonal axis. Overall, there was no difference in mouse survival (P=0.37) or tumor volumes (P ≥ 0.10) between groups. Mouse body weights were similar between arms (P=0.84). IF mice had significantly higher serum IGF-1 levels and IGF-1/IGFBP-3 ratios at killing (P<0.001). However, no difference was observed in serum insulin, IGFBP-3 or tumor phospho-Akt levels (P ≥ 0.39). IF did not improve mouse survival nor did it delay prostate tumor growth. This may be secondary to metabolic adaptations to the 24 h fastingperiods. Future studies are required to optimize CR for application in humans

Int J Obes (Lond). 2011 May;35(5):714-27. Epub 2010 Oct 5.
The effects of intermittent or continuous energy restriction on weight loss and metabolic disease risk markers: a randomized trial in young overweight women.
Harvie MN, Pegington M, Mattson MP, Frystyk J, Dillon B, Evans G, Cuzick J, Jebb SA, Martin B, Cutler RG, Son TG, Maudsley S,Carlson OD, Egan JM, Flyvbjerg A, Howell A.
Source

Genesis Prevention Centre, University Hospital of South Manchester NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK. michelle.harvie@manchester.ac.uk

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
The problems of adherence to energy restriction in humans are well known.

OBJECTIVE:
To compare the feasibility and effectiveness of intermittent continuous energy (IER) with continuous energy restriction (CER) for weight loss, insulin sensitivity and other metabolic disease risk markers.

DESIGN:
Randomized comparison of a 25% energy restriction as IER (∼ 2710 kJ/day for 2 days/week) or CER (∼ 6276 kJ/day for 7 days/week) in 107 overweight or obese (mean (± s.d.) body mass index 30.6 (± 5.1) kg m(-2)) premenopausal women observed over a period of 6 months. Weight, anthropometry, biomarkers for breast cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and dementia risk; insulin resistance (HOMA), oxidative stress markers, leptin, adiponectin, insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-1 and IGF binding proteins 1 and 2, androgens, prolactin, inflammatory markers (high sensitivity C-reactive protein and sialic acid), lipids, blood pressure and brain-derived neurotrophic factor were assessed at baseline and after 1, 3 and 6 months.

RESULTS:
Last observation carried forward analysis showed that IER and CER are equally effective for weight loss: mean (95% confidence interval ) weight change for IER was -6.4 (-7.9 to -4.8) kg vs -5.6 (-6.9 to -4.4) kg for CER (P-value for difference between groups = 0.4). Both groups experienced comparable reductions in leptin, free androgen index, high-sensitivity C-reactive protein, total and LDL cholesterol, triglycerides, blood pressure and increases in sex hormone binding globulin, IGF binding proteins 1 and 2. Reductions in fasting insulin and insulin resistance were modest in both groups, but greater with IER than with CER; difference between groups for fasting insulin was -1.2 (-1.4 to -1.0) μU ml(-1) and for insulin resistance was -1.2 (-1.5 to -1.0) μU mmol(-1) l(-1) (both P = 0.04).

CONCLUSION:
IER is as effective as CER with regard to weight loss, insulin sensitivity and other health biomarkers, and may be offered as an alternative equivalent to CER for weight loss and reducing disease risk.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2012, 04:07:55 AM »
careful with the conclusions of studies from obese patients.

Obesity (Silver Spring). 2010 Nov;18(11):2152-9. Epub 2010 Mar 18.
Improvements in coronary heart disease risk indicators by alternate-day fasting involve adipose tissue modulations.
Bhutani S, Klempel MC, Berger RA, Varady KA.
Source
Department of Kinesiology and Nutrition, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA.
Abstract
The ability of alternate-day fasting (ADF) to modulate adipocyte parameters in a way that is protective against coronary heart disease (CHD) has yet to be tested. Accordingly, we examined the effects of ADF on adipokine profile, body composition, and CHD risk indicators in obese adults. Sixteen obese subjects (12 women/4 men) participated in a 10-week trial with three consecutive dietary intervention phases: (i) 2-week baseline control phase, (ii) 4-week ADF controlled feeding phase, and (iii) 4-week ADF self-selected feeding phase. After 8 weeks of treatment, body weight and waist circumference were reduced (P < 0.05) by 5.7 ± 0.9 kg, and 4.0 ± 0.9 cm, respectively. Fat mass decreased (P < 0.05) by 5.4 ± 0.8 kg, whereas fat-free mass did not change. Plasma adiponectin was augmented (P < 0.05) by 30% from baseline. Leptin and resistin concentrations were reduced (P < 0.05) by 21 and 23%, respectively, post treatment. Low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) and triacylglycerol concentrations were 25% and 32% lower (P < 0.05), respectively, after 8 weeks of ADF. High-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C), C-reactive protein, and homocysteine concentrations did not change. Decreases in LDL-C were related to increased adiponectin (r = -0.61, P = 0.01) and reduced waist circumference (r = 0.39, P = 0.04). Lower triacylglycerol concentrations were associated with augmented adiponectin (r = -0.39, P = 0.04) and reduced leptin concentrations (r = 0.45, P = 0.03) post-treatment. These findings suggest that adipose tissue parameters may play an important role in mediating the cardioprotective effects of ADF in obese humans.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2012, 04:37:57 AM »
Good stuff!
Thank you.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2012, 10:54:38 AM »
Good stuff!
Thank you.

there is quite a bit more, some studies on osteoarthritis, asthma, allergies etc... for the healthy population reducing metabolic markers of CVD is probably it's most potent effect. The improvments in longevity seen in murine and other in vivo models are on par with caloric restriction despite caloric intake being higher, very cool stuff. I'll post more as i get time.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2012, 03:09:46 PM »
there is quite a bit more, some studies on osteoarthritis, asthma, allergies etc... for the healthy population reducing metabolic markers of CVD is probably it's most potent effect. The improvments in longevity seen in murine and other in vivo models are on par with caloric restriction despite caloric intake being higher, very cool stuff. I'll post more as i get time.

Please.
And, thank you, again!!

animal1991

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2012, 09:57:06 AM »
I want to give leangains a shot, sounds like a great and maintainable way to diet:

My plan is to fast from 20:00 to 12:00 and then follow the diet below

Here's the diet I thought of:

500g chicken breast
6 tsp low fat mayo
6 slices wholegrain bread /110g* pasta /110g* white rice
2 small bananas
*uncooked

4 whole eggs
80g oats
2 tbsp honey
Or
MRP (41g protein, 47g carbs)

300g sirloin steak (visible fat removed)
Veg

Turns out to be around 2500kcal, 230g protein, 210g carbs, 83g fat.

What do you guys think?

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2012, 12:56:06 PM »
I want to give leangains a shot, sounds like a great and maintainable way to diet:

My plan is to fast from 20:00 to 12:00 and then follow the diet below

Here's the diet I thought of:

500g chicken breast
6 tsp low fat mayo
6 slices wholegrain bread /110g* pasta /110g* white rice
2 small bananas
*uncooked

4 whole eggs
80g oats
2 tbsp honey
Or
MRP (41g protein, 47g carbs)

300g sirloin steak (visible fat removed)
Veg

Turns out to be around 2500kcal, 230g protein, 210g carbs, 83g fat.

What do you guys think?

If you wanna do leangains exactly as its laid out you will be training 3 days a week. During these days you will set your calories 20% above maintenance with having a higher amount of carbs. You will rest 4 days out of the week and set your calories 20% under maintenance and have less carbs.

Actually....take a look at this site to get the guidelines on how to do it exactly as its laid out

http://rippedbody.jp/2011/10/08/leangains-intermittent-fasting-guide-how-to-do-it-by-yourself/

I actually tried it out and found it too restrictive for my liking. Bottom line is if you wanna loose weight you gotta eat less there's no other way around it. I did keep a principle to my diet though and its not to eat as soon as I wake up instead I have some dianabol...lol. Im not kidding btw

The reason why I do this is that I have problems sleeping through the whole night and I save some calories for this time. Though I'll eat good food like tuna, egg whites along with some vegetables like broccoli or celery. So when I wake up in the morning I'm not too concerned with eating right away since it hasn't been TOO LONG since my last meal.

animal1991

• Getbig III
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2012, 01:13:03 PM »
If you wanna do leangains exactly as its laid out you will be training 3 days a week. During these days you will set your calories 20% above maintenance with having a higher amount of carbs. You will rest 4 days out of the week and set your calories 20% under maintenance and have less carbs.

Actually....take a look at this site to get the guidelines on how to do it exactly as its laid out

http://rippedbody.jp/2011/10/08/leangains-intermittent-fasting-guide-how-to-do-it-by-yourself/

I actually tried it out and found it too restrictive for my liking. Bottom line is if you wanna loose weight you gotta eat less there's no other way around it. I did keep a principle to my diet though and its not to eat as soon as I wake up instead I have some dianabol...lol. Im not kidding btw

The reason why I do this is that I have problems sleeping through the whole night and I save some calories for this time. Though I'll eat good food like tuna, egg whites along with some vegetables like broccoli or celery. So when I wake up in the morning I'm not too concerned with eating right away since it hasn't been TOO LONG since my last meal.

Lol, dbol=breakfast of champions.

I usually have big appetite so I think LG will work well for me because I love having a full stomach. And calorie restriction is much easier this way in my opinion.

I will try it for a month and see how it goes. Its the only way I'm gonna find out. I'm not really gonna count calories, I'm just gonna eat filling, "clean" food, and that by itself is gonna leave a good calorie restriction.

The thing that interested me about fasting is the increased catecholamine and hgh levels in the fasted state. I also like the fact that I don't have to worry about food, just gonna shoot for 100-200g protein a day.

I also set up the training differently, I'm still going to do Reverse Pyramid training but split it up over 5 days. Monday bench + accessory, Tuesday deadlift + accessory, Wednesday arms, Thursday squats + accessory, Friday military press + accessory.

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2012, 01:43:39 PM »
Yeah...it's good to play around with the way its set up cause for me it was too restrictive. Its very easy to underestimate your calorie levels though so keep an eye on that. Try it out... you'll love it at first but after a while you'll come to the realization that its just another diet...sorry to sound kind of negative but that's what I experienced.

On paper it sounds great especially the part about having large meals and feeling satiated longer. But the truth is that once you get lower and lower in bodyfat you're gonna have to drop those calories and you're gonna be hungry no matter what.

Anyway, good luck and let me know how it works out for you. Maybe you'll have better results than I did.  :)

Lol, dbol=breakfast of champions.

I usually have big appetite so I think LG will work well for me because I love having a full stomach. And calorie restriction is much easier this way in my opinion.

I will try it for a month and see how it goes. Its the only way I'm gonna find out. I'm not really gonna count calories, I'm just gonna eat filling, "clean" food, and that by itself is gonna leave a good calorie restriction.

The thing that interested me about fasting is the increased catecholamine and hgh levels in the fasted state. I also like the fact that I don't have to worry about food, just gonna shoot for 100-200g protein a day.

I also set up the training differently, I'm still going to do Reverse Pyramid training but split it up over 5 days. Monday bench + accessory, Tuesday deadlift + accessory, Wednesday arms, Thursday squats + accessory, Friday military press + accessory.

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2012, 01:22:30 PM »
Hey all, it's been a LONG time since I've been on here, but I actually came to check out what you guys were talking about for intermittent fasting.

I first became aware of it back in 2007 when I first read 'EAT STOP EAT', which, when I read it, I thought it was the answer to all of my prayers!!  All I had to do was suffer a little bit twice a week, then I could eat whatever I wanted the rest of the time!!  This backfired pretty heavily on me...  Maybe I'm prone to binge-eating, but I found that during each of my 24-hour fasts, I thought about nothing but food the entire time, so when it was time to eat... I ATE EVERYTHING I COULD GET MY HANDS ON!!  I'd end up gaining weight the day after a 24-hour fast...

That said, I recently (past few months) stumbled onto LeanGains... Which I initially found through Lyle McDonald's site.  It made a LOT MORE sense to me.  I mean, the quick jist of it is: SKIP BREAKFAST. That's it!?!?  There have been plenty of days that I've skipped breakfast just because I was running late!

I recently became a Dad (my son was born on July 7th, 2012) and I've been using this type of fasting for the last 2 weeks and it's working quite well. After about a week of it, I really wasn't even starving when it came time to eat lunch - so your body definitely gets more used to it (the first few days especially, I felt like a ravenous pig by lunch time)...

The actual LeanGains protocol is a bit more strict than simply "skipping breakfast", but as a new Dad who works 40-50 hours in an office, I'm just doing it as simple as I can...

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2012, 01:25:02 PM »
One more thing... I think I noticed that someone was asking for the "Cliff Notes" version of LeanGains, because his Blog is a bit hard to navigate.

Here's the program rundown link: http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Leangains%20Guide

Also, somebody mentioned BOOZE in relation to fasting...  Martin's got probably the BEST article I've ever read about the effects of alcohol on body composition and how to best diet around drinking (and I've done EXTENSIVE research over the years on this very topic)... Here's the link: http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Leangains%20Guide

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2012, 01:07:12 AM »
Didn't read thread but... intermittent fasting is AWESOME... I am in the month of ramadan and it is so nice for leaning out. The first few days are rough as i drop calories but after less than a week your workouts stay okay and improve gradually as ramadan progresses. You can really lean out and increase insulin sensitivity and even put on some strength once adjusted especially if not natty :P

On top of that.. using ipamorelin is fantastic... and hgh frag 176... the later works amazing... last ramadan i used it... this ramadan i just started it few days ago and im already seeing a difference...

In Islam we fast ramadan obviously but we can also fast additional fasts out of our own choice any day. For me it's a no brainer to reap the physical benefit and reward with God by fasting ocassionally :)

Anyone who's tried fasting has benefited from it. Doctors even recommend it if your bloods are screwed... so again not a big brainer... just try it and be patient. It takes discipline. After all pros cutting takes discipline and fasting takes discipline.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2012, 03:57:09 AM »
Didn't read thread but... intermittent fasting is AWESOME... I am in the month of ramadan and it is so nice for leaning out. The first few days are rough as i drop calories but after less than a week your workouts stay okay and improve gradually as ramadan progresses. You can really lean out and increase insulin sensitivity and even put on some strength once adjusted especially if not natty :,

My friend at work is also currently observing Ramadan. I just made the connection last week between that and IF, and mentioned the protocol to her. She is very interested in knowing more about the nutritional science behind it. Your post reminded me I need to get together some information for her.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2015, 04:18:22 PM »
I'm currently doing if and loving it
w