Author Topic: 'Serpent-Handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite  (Read 8449 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

A "serpent-handling" West Virginia pastor died after his rattlesnake bit him during a church ritual, just as the man had apparently watched a snake kill his father years before.

http://news.yahoo.com/serpent-handling-west-virginia-pastor-dies-snake-bite-173406645--abc-news-topstories.html

Purge_WTF

Re: 'Serpent-Handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 05:32:24 AM »
Deuteronomy 6:16: Do not test the LORD your God as you did at Massah.

Still good advice today.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 07:03:35 AM »
Yet none in the congregation will acknowledge the bible is wrong. They will have canned responses that overlook the obvious so they can still maintain their beliefs, no matter how ludicrous they may be. The only positive, it was an adult who willingly participated who suffered

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 07:07:30 AM »
Yet none in the congregation will acknowledge the bible is wrong. They will have canned responses that overlook the obvious so they can still maintain their beliefs, no matter how ludicrous they may be. The only positive, it was an adult who willingly participated who suffered

The Bible is wrong?  Where does the Bible tell preachers to handle snakes?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 07:22:38 AM »
The Bible is wrong?  Where does the Bible tell preachers to handle snakes?

And these signs shall follow them that believe: In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. (Mark 16:17-18

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 07:46:07 AM »
Deuteronomy 6:16: Do not test the LORD your God as you did at Massah.

Still good advice today.

Pedro 10:45 - Don't handle poisonous snakes without gloves on.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 07:50:15 AM »
Is the Pastor in heaven now?

G

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 08:29:05 AM »
And these signs shall follow them that believe: In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. (Mark 16:17-18

Yup and also

Luke 10:19
New International Version (NIV)
"I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you."

Neither one of these verses command preachers to handle snakes.  A very small number of Pentecostal Christians have misinterpreted them to mean you must handle poisonous snakes in order to prove your Salvation. 

Both of these verses are Jesus' promise of protection to his apostles.

Acts 28:3-5
3 Paul gathered a pile of brushwood and, as he put it on the fire, a viper, driven out by the heat, fastened itself on his hand.
4 When the islanders saw the snake hanging from his hand, they said to each other, “This man must be a murderer; for though he escaped from the sea, the goddess Justice has not allowed him to live.”
5 But Paul shook the snake off into the fire and suffered no ill effects.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 10:14:44 AM »
Yup and also

Luke 10:19
New International Version (NIV)
"I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you."

Neither one of these verses command preachers to handle snakes.  A very small number of Pentecostal Christians have misinterpreted them to mean you must handle poisonous snakes in order to prove your Salvation. 

Both of these verses are Jesus' promise of protection to his apostles.

Acts 28:3-5
3 Paul gathered a pile of brushwood and, as he put it on the fire, a viper, driven out by the heat, fastened itself on his hand.
4 When the islanders saw the snake hanging from his hand, they said to each other, “This man must be a murderer; for though he escaped from the sea, the goddess Justice has not allowed him to live.”
5 But Paul shook the snake off into the fire and suffered no ill effects.

What does "take up serpents" mean?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 10:32:45 AM »
What does "take up serpents" mean?

Obviously, most Christians do not interpret it the way that you and the few Pentecostals do. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 08:04:14 AM »
Obviously, most Christians do not interpret it the way that you and the few Pentecostals do. 

Well, take up serpents and drinking deadly poisons and not being harmed would indicate pretty much what it says. I happen to believe, based on some research, that those scriptures were added later and not contained in the original manuscript but thats another discussion.

There are a myriad of things said in the bible that are as outragous as the serpent and poison references so even if those were taken out.. it would be quite a stretch for any adult, who wasn't subjected to "brainwashing" as a child, to accept the book as factual. IMHO

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 08:09:29 AM »
Well, take up serpents and drinking deadly poisons and not being harmed would indicate pretty much what it says. I happen to believe, based on some research, that those scriptures were added later and not contained in the original manuscript but thats another discussion.

There are a myriad of things said in the bible that are as outragous as the serpent and poison references so even if those were taken out.. it would be quite a stretch for any adult, who wasn't subjected to "brainwashing" as a child, to accept the book as factual. IMHO

"Snake handling or serpent handling is a religious ritual in a small number of Pentecostal churches in the U.S., usually characterized as rural and part of the Holiness movement. The practice began in the early 20th century in Appalachia, spreading to mostly coal mining towns. The practice plays only a small part of the church service of churches that practice snake handling. Practitioners believe serpent handling dates to antiquity and quote the Book of Mark and the Book of Luke to support the practice."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_handling

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 08:19:37 AM »

"Snake handling or serpent handling is a religious ritual in a small number of Pentecostal churches in the U.S.,

Personal observation- I think it is a small number because MOST (not all) Christians really don't believe the bible in the first place. MOST (American) Christians haven't bothered to read the bible cover to cover yet they will watch Springer for hours and read Clancy novels non stop. It is an insurance thing for them. They will say they believe and go through the motions just in case... But when push comes to shove, it has little impact on their lives. The ones who really believe and follow it, to the point they pray for God to heal their children even as they die, showing the ultimate "faith" are ridiculed and ostrazised by other believers because really... who actually believes the bible is real? 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 08:46:17 AM »
Personal observation- I think it is a small number because MOST (not all) Christians really don't believe the bible in the first place. MOST (American) Christians haven't bothered to read the bible cover to cover yet they will watch Springer for hours and read Clancy novels non stop. It is an insurance thing for them. They will say they believe and go through the motions just in case... But when push comes to shove, it has little impact on their lives. The ones who really believe and follow it, to the point they pray for God to heal their children even as they die, showing the ultimate "faith" are ridiculed and ostrazised by other believers because really... who actually believes the bible is real? 

And where in the world did you come up with this little "fact"?   

First of all, there are millions of Christians around the world.  So stop lumping them all together. 

Second of all, don't be so harsh on America and American Christians.  They are both great, and a great example to the world.  Of all wealthy Western nations, the US is by far the one with the most people attending church on a weekly basis.  And Americans give more to charity, per capita and as a percentage of gross domestic product, than the citizens of other nations.  American Christians give more of their money, time and energy to helping the poor and victims of catastrophes than other people.

godeep

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 09:00:53 AM »
LOL
l

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 09:12:54 AM »
And where in the world did you come up with this little "fact"?   

First of all, there are millions of Christians around the world.  So stop lumping them all together. 

Second of all, don't be so harsh on America and American Christians.  They are both great, and a great example to the world.  Of all wealthy Western nations, the US is by far the one with the most people attending church on a weekly basis.  And Americans give more to charity, per capita and as a percentage of gross domestic product, than the citizens of other nations.  American Christians give more of their money, time and energy to helping the poor and victims of catastrophes than other people.

Pretty sure I made it clear it is my personal observation. It's my opinion. based on observations of American Christans for many years. I can really only speak on American Christians because that is where I live. I don't think I lumped them all together and went out of my way to specify.

I would posit American Christians are the largest percentage of prison inmates, commit the most crimes (Obviously due in part to their large percentage of the population) and in general make most non believers look ....Christian..... ;-)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 09:53:28 AM »
Pretty sure I made it clear it is my personal observation. It's my opinion. based on observations of American Christans for many years. I can really only speak on American Christians because that is where I live. I don't think I lumped them all together and went out of my way to specify.

I would posit American Christians are the largest percentage of prison inmates, commit the most crimes (Obviously due in part to their large percentage of the population) and in general make most non believers look ....Christian..... ;-)

No comment on all the nice facts about American people, especially American Christian people?  You ought to be proud, assuming you are an American. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 04:43:27 PM »
No comment on all the nice facts about American people, especially American Christian people?  You ought to be proud, assuming you are an American. 

Facts are facts.. proud? I think the US is one of the best countries in the world, everything considered.. but we certainly have problems. The majority of Americans claim Christianity as their religion. Just the way it is.. If tomorrow by magic all religious beliefs in the world disappeared like they never existed, good people would still be good people, bad people would still be bad people, maybe a few less elderly scammed, but then you'd probably need to balance that with a few additional suicides for those who have nothing to look forward to.. but all in all... probably not a bad situation..   

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 05:20:00 AM »
Facts are facts.. proud? I think the US is one of the best countries in the world, everything considered.. but we certainly have problems. The majority of Americans claim Christianity as their religion. Just the way it is.. If tomorrow by magic all religious beliefs in the world disappeared like they never existed, good people would still be good people, bad people would still be bad people, maybe a few less elderly scammed, but then you'd probably need to balance that with a few additional suicides for those who have nothing to look forward to.. but all in all... probably not a bad situation..   

Interesting!  Who are the "good" people and who are the "bad" people? 

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 03:38:17 AM »
Your mom.
G

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 05:49:56 AM »
Your mom.

garebear,

You got a problem with me?  Have I said something that offended you?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 07:19:38 AM »

It's a general term, people in your life, who are good decent people, would be that without religion, people who are A holes and the like would continue to be just that.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 09:07:15 AM »
It's a general term, people in your life, who are good decent people, would be that without religion, people who are A holes and the like would continue to be just that.

Good decent people may or may not continue to be that way without religion, but I disagree about A holes.  I have personally witnessed A holes be transformed into good decent people by Jesus Christ.  I am one of them, and I have witnessed this transformation in family, friends and acquaintances.    Jesus Christ has been transforming A holes into good decent people for two thousand years.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2012, 11:42:49 AM »
Good decent people may or may not continue to be that way without religion, but I disagree about A holes.  I have personally witnessed A holes be transformed into good decent people by Jesus Christ.  I am one of them, and I have witnessed this transformation in family, friends and acquaintances.    Jesus Christ has been transforming A holes into good decent people for two thousand years.

He transformed me and I love him for it!