Author Topic: *Credit Card Holders* Electronic Pickpocketing  (Read 5134 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
*Credit Card Holders* Electronic Pickpocketing
« on: June 02, 2012, 06:17:34 PM »
Must watch video

:

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
Re: *Credit Card Holders* Electronic Pickpocketing
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 07:13:48 PM »
Every time my card is used, a transaction receipt comes right to my phone. You can basically instantly see when someone uses it. So it would be a matter of minutes that the CCard company would know of a fraud.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 07:16:52 PM »
No credit cards.......no problems.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 07:44:20 PM »

Also applies to debit cards.
:

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 07:47:09 PM »

Also applies to debit cards.

HUGE difference.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 07:52:42 PM »
fraud and petty theft should be punished with the death penalty...

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 07:59:30 PM »

First offense = thumb
Second offense = entire hand
Tony Soprano style
8)
:

AC Slater

• Getbig IV
  • The king of Bayside
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 09:58:40 PM »

far too many liberal pussies in this country to let that happen, but i agree.
I dont like twinks.

Tigerblood

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 11:47:02 PM »

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 11:55:09 PM »

You decided to go all cash and debt free as soon as possible, Joe?

Actually living that type of lifestyle does take off a ton of stress.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 12:01:59 AM »
You decided to go all cash and debt free as soon as possible, Joe?

Actually living that type of lifestyle does take off a ton of stress.

Except for the house payment's and boat, we're debt free. No car payment, no CC payments, no personal loans, no other outside debts. It's a nice feeling to sleep well.

muscularny

• Getbig IV
  • Training
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 02:31:58 AM »
everyone is debt free and only uses their CC for emergencies, no clue why CC companies even check peoples credit scores given how everyone is so responsible with their money

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 04:35:48 AM »
This is hardly new... Contactless smart cards have been around for ages - I've been using one since late 2002.  More specifically, contactless credit and debit cards prominently feature a logo, usually on the reverse. On top of that your bank (if it issues such cards) has almost certainly notified you about this functionality. That's not to say that the design of the system is good - it isn't exactly because of this kind of attack vector. If you are concerned about this, there are countermeasures that you can employ that will prevent this.

I will say that getting to watch random people who have no idea what's going on or how this "hack" works and who wouldn't understand how it works if you spent hours explaining it to them is priceless. They get all wide-eyed as if Merlin himself did magic in front of their eyes.

They may walk away from that slightly more security-aware, but the sad reality is that with only the most basic social engineering skills, you can get most people to tell you things like social security numbers, which are more useful in the grand scheme of things, with very little effort.

Except for the house payment's and boat, we're debt free. No car payment, no CC payments, no personal loans, no other outside debts. It's a nice feeling to sleep well.

That's certainly a good feeling; I don't like to carry debt and try to avoid doing so whenever possible. But I will point out that this attitude doesn't necessarily result in the smartest use of money. With credit as ridiculously cheap as it is these days, and with credit cards offering bonuses and rewards (not as many as before a stupid federal law was passed) it often makes good financial sense to use a credit card for every day purchases, especially if you are smart about it and pay it off fully every month.

Crossbow

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 04:29:18 PM »

First offense = thumb
Second offense = entire hand
Tony Soprano style
8)

Sounds more Taliban style to me

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 06:51:56 PM »
This is hardly new... Contactless smart cards have been around for ages - I've been using one since late 2002.  More specifically, contactless credit and debit cards prominently feature a logo, usually on the reverse. On top of that your bank (if it issues such cards) has almost certainly notified you about this functionality. That's not to say that the design of the system is good - it isn't exactly because of this kind of attack vector. If you are concerned about this, there are countermeasures that you can employ that will prevent this.

I will say that getting to watch random people who have no idea what's going on or how this "hack" works and who wouldn't understand how it works if you spent hours explaining it to them is priceless. They get all wide-eyed as if Merlin himself did magic in front of their eyes.

They may walk away from that slightly more security-aware, but the sad reality is that with only the most basic social engineering skills, you can get most people to tell you things like social security numbers, which are more useful in the grand scheme of things, with very little effort.

That's certainly a good feeling; I don't like to carry debt and try to avoid doing so whenever possible. But I will point out that this attitude doesn't necessarily result in the smartest use of money. With credit as ridiculously cheap as it is these days, and with credit cards offering bonuses and rewards (not as many as before a stupid federal law was passed) it often makes good financial sense to use a credit card for every day purchases, especially if you are smart about it and pay it off fully every month.

CC intrest is low but if you're a day late the interest doubles and in some cases triples. Read the fine print, the pnalties are not worth the risk.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 07:17:22 PM »

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 07:24:50 PM »
These assholes  still have your boat for sale Coach, if I was you I would give them a  call.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/cache/pl_search_results.jsp?ywo=vaughtsyacht&hosturl=vaughtsyacht&ps=50&type=&new=&luom=126&page=broker&slim=broker&lineonly

Nah, I'm good. I have posession. Thanks anyway.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 07:27:09 PM »
BTW, I think its awfully nice of.you to keep the info I provided. Didn't believe me about the gym but.......

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 07:43:39 PM »
CC intrest is low but if you're a day late the interest doubles and in some cases triples. Read the fine print, the pnalties are not worth the risk.

I agree that if you are late in your payments you can get shafted. But your risk assessment isn't a universal constant: Perhaps the risk is too much for you. Not necessarily for everyone else.

With that said, as you said: debt-free is a wonderful feeling, although one that (sadly) can only really be appreciated after experiencing the opposite.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 08:28:50 PM »
I agree that if you are late in your payments you can get shafted. But your risk assessment isn't a universal constant: Perhaps the risk is too much for you. Not necessarily for everyone else.

With that said, as you said: debt-free is a wonderful feeling, although one that (sadly) can only really be appreciated after experiencing the opposite.

Yep, after my divorce I was in debt not only from my attorney (100k +) and a shitload of CC debt that I was tapping to help pay for the attorney. Although it was worthevery penny, it left me broke and even some taxes in the rears. Needless to say it was an awful feeling but as of last year I managed to pay everything. It took about 6 years but man what a feeling of freedom!

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 09:44:50 PM »
Yep, after my divorce I was in debt not only from my attorney (100k +) and a shitload of CC debt that I was tapping to help pay for the attorney. Although it was worthevery penny, it left me broke and even some taxes in the rears. Needless to say it was an awful feeling but as of last year I managed to pay everything. It took about 6 years but man what a feeling of freedom!

You gonna catch a Rangers vs. angels game this week on Anaheim?