Author Topic: the effects of fizzy drinks and alcoholic drinks on diet and training  (Read 3016 times)

galeniko

• Getbig V
n

JasonH

• Getbig V
Obviously fizzy drinks loaded with sugar are bad for progress, but what about diet sodas and cordial where you just add water? That's all I drink - I never drink full-sugar drinks, unless its maltodextrin or dextrose post workout.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
liquor is bad for training in excess,but i dont think a few drinks on a friday night will hurt ones progress. i gave up drinking liquor cause id go on 3-4 day binges and end up in another state sleeping in a park and wouldnt remember anything :-[
R

Rickyboy

• Getbig II
Fizzy drinks kill my appetite that's why I stopped having them

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
beer is good... it's the only source of grain in my diet  ;D

irishdave

• Getbig V
  • It ain’t over ‘TIL it’s over
beer is good... it's the only source of grain in my diet  ;D

Life wouldn't be worth living if I couldn't have the odd pint. Only problem is it's either a feast or a famine with me. 99% of the time a feast and 2 days on the beer with 5 day hangovers, ugh.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
vodka lime on tap tonight... Silent Sam vodka is awesome

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
liquor is bad for training in excess,but i dont think a few drinks on a friday night will hurt ones progress. i gave up drinking liquor cause id go on 3-4 day binges and end up in another state sleeping in a park and wouldnt remember anything :-[

you conveniently left out the last part where you would wake up in a strange hotel room with your pants down and a jar of vasoline nearby  :D

POB

• Getbig IV
Life wouldn't be worth living if I couldn't have the odd pint. Only problem is it's either a feast or a famine with me. 99% of the time a feast and 2 days on the beer with 5 day hangovers, ugh.

Haha every Irish guy I know can drink!

POB

• Getbig IV
this is a serious question btw, how do the halt progress?

i know they certainly do, but i dont know how.

gracie, that is kinda funny with the bank in another state,lol.sorry.

btw, i mean the effects of these drinks in particular during a diet

For a man besides slowing your metabolism down, it kills the testosterone in your body. Ive read study's that say a few drinks can suppress your testosterone for 2 or 3 days after. I'd imagine it set you back even further if you were training natural

Armani

• Getbig II
  • 161 confirmed kills and counting
Re: the effects of fizzy drinks and alcoholic drinks on diet and training
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 10:06:53 AM »
Alcohol is the genie in the bottle.  If you control it rather than the other way around then by all means.  Moderate alcohol consumption, particularly red wine has documented health benefits and alcohol of all types has been shown to prevent dementia with advancing age.  There are certain people though that it is a demon which will chew up and spit out everything and everything they care about. Only you know if you are one of those people.  If so, it is more than just a training issue, although it will destroy that too.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 03:05:47 PM »
I drink beer.
Try to read up on Arthur Saxons beer consumption. (20 beers a day).

Strength legend, though he didn't live long..

Armani

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 10:01:54 AM »
I drink beer.
Try to read up on Arthur Saxons beer consumption. (20 beers a day).

Strength legend, though he didn't live long..

20 beers a day .... didn't live long.... Trying to figure this one out.  There must... be .... a connection. Think brain, think damnit!

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 10:14:57 AM »
20 beers a day .... didn't live long.... Trying to figure this one out.  There must... be .... a connection. Think brain, think damnit!

you gotta admit though that 20 beers a day would put some serious bulk on you...if your genetics are right and you're not the type that you acculmulate fat around the middle easily, then I could see how this could benefit you bodybuilding -wise if you work out regularly...healthwise.. .not so much

Armani

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 11:10:08 AM »
you gotta admit though that 20 beers a day would put some serious bulk on you...if your genetics are right and you're not the type that you acculmulate fat around the middle easily, then I could see how this could benefit you bodybuilding -wise if you work out regularly...healthwise.. .not so much

I had a College Professor who claimed it was nutritionally possible to LIVE on beer.  Let's assume he had the diet of a normal human being, probably at least 3,000 calories (maybe more since he was a strong man and probably ate tons of meat, cream, eggs, etc.)  Now this is before the days of light beer, so let's just say for fun 200-250 calories per day X 20 beers equals 4,000- 5,000 calories.  So without the benefit of steroids he would have had a daily of diet of at LEAST 7,000-8,000 calories per day.

Conclusion: Yes, I think you're right, that might indeed add some bulk. LOL

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 10:31:23 PM »
I had a College Professor who claimed it was nutritionally possible to LIVE on beer.  Let's assume he had the diet of a normal human being, probably at least 3,000 calories (maybe more since he was a strong man and probably ate tons of meat, cream, eggs, etc.)  Now this is before the days of light beer, so let's just say for fun 200-250 calories per day X 20 beers equals 4,000- 5,000 calories.  So without the benefit of steroids he would have had a daily of diet of at LEAST 7,000-8,000 calories per day.

Conclusion: Yes, I think you're right, that might indeed add some bulk. LOL

interesting....nutrition ally possible to live on beer.......Beer is basically Barley right?......is Barley wheat?...if so then maybe it is possible.....back in the old days people lived on diets that were basically lots of bread with some veggies thrown in here and there.....