Author Topic: Blade Runner question: was Deckard a replicant?  (Read 7904 times)

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
Re: Blade Runner question: Was Deckard a replicant?
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 04:18:52 PM »
Harrison Ford, one of the greatest actors of this generation that never won an Oscar.

Agreed he's very good, but what film could have been his Oscar?

The Fugitive?
Bladerunner?
Indiana Jones, Raiders of the Lost Ark?
a

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »

The Fugitive?
Bladerunner?
"Six Days And Seven Night"........... for sure.

I kid,I kid!  ;D

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2012, 04:26:21 PM »
Dude, he deserves a fucking Oscar for Empire at least.

BOW

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2012, 04:27:09 PM »

The Fugitive?
Bladerunner?
he could have had ONE of the greatest trilogies of all time until he screwed up and made the fourth which will not be mentioned...

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2012, 04:31:16 PM »
You left out the biggest clue. Which was a total mind fuck. :)

Which was?

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2012, 04:51:28 PM »
Which was?

Deckard finds a unicorn origami at the end while he is escaping from his flat with Rachael. It was left there by Gaff. It's a reference to a daydream Deckard had in the middle of the movie. His dream was about a unicorn galloping through a forest.

There is an earlier scene where Deckard describes Rachael's intimate childhood memories to her; things she never told anyone. Deckard knew because he read her file. Those memories were not real, they were "implants". Rachael is an experimental replicant who was given memories because it made controlling her emotions easier.

The only plausible explanation of Gaff knowing about Deckard's daydream is that Deckard is himself a replicant with memory implants and that Gaff read Deckard's file. He left a tiny origami outside Deckard's flat to show him that he knew.

In fact, I think Gaff was the real Blade Runner all along. Throughout the film he is seen closely monitoring Deckard. He is there every time Deckard "retires" a replicant. Going after replicants is dangerous work since they are faster, stronger and in Roy's case, more intelligent than humans. But Gaff is more cunning. So, he uses a replicant to do his dirty work for him.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2012, 04:55:53 PM »
Sounds like what Scott says in the Wikipedia summary is right; Deckard was a replicant.

More human than human.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2012, 04:57:57 PM »
I haven't heard good things about Prometheus.

In the future, robots look like nazis and wear nazis uniforms... I guess it means we wont abandon anytime soon the idea that the perfect man is white, blond, has blue eyes and looks like a german world war 2 soldier...

Also God is a gay bodybuilder on steroids who looks like doctor manhatan.

How original!

Oh well. Money money money...

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • significantly cheaper and federally legal
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2012, 05:05:43 PM »

Looks like he's on the same triceps injection protocol as Tbombz.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2012, 05:10:06 PM »
In the future, robots look like nazis and wear nazis uniforms... I guess it means we wont abandon anytime soon the idea that the perfect man is blond, has blue eyes and looks like a german world war 2 soldier...

How original!

Oh well. Money money money...
I take it you werent a fan... although with your seemingly cynical nature, Id assume its pretty hard for you to enjoy something like this.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2012, 05:18:14 PM »
I take it you werent a fan... although with your seemingly cynical nature, Id assume its pretty hard for you to enjoy something like this.
Alien was plausible. Alien 2 and 3 started to get shitty. I liked black hawk down and blade runner from scott.

Prometheus is a badly written piece of shit with a cliche scene per second. It almost follows the exact same structure of an "alien" movie.
Fact is, nowadays when you go watch a movie, you ve seen it all in the trailer, and you re watching a patchwork of stuff mixed together that you ve alrdy seen the past last 20 years. I dont like the CGI everywhere that give an unatural, too perfect look to everything -started with the star wars sequels-, i think hand made sfx inte the past were somewhat more realistic when well done.

Nowadays everything is a remake of a remake of a remake. Maybe everything that could be done has already been done, maybe it's the end of an era.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2012, 05:42:03 PM »
Maybe everything that could be done has already been done, maybe it's the end of an era.

Not true in my opinion. It just looks this way, because:

1) Films of the sort of Prometheus need absurdly big budgets, which are financed by big studios, which are in turn owned by media conglomerates (20th Century Fox -> Fox Entertainment -> News Corporation).
2) These guys operate in the way of quarterly balance sheets, they're not going to hand out $100 million just like that, they need profit assurances which means that:
3) Films have to depend on time-proven formulas, stock characters and reliable stereotypes. That's what people understand and what brings in the money. As a result, creativity is stifled to a degree, at least in mainstream movies.

There are plenty of excellent films out there, they're just not in the mainstream.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »
Deckard finds a unicorn origami at the end while he is escaping from his flat with Rachael. It was left there by Gaff. It's a reference to a daydream Deckard had in the middle of the movie. His dream was about a unicorn galloping through a forest.

There is an earlier scene where Deckard describes Rachael's intimate childhood memories to her; things she never told anyone. Deckard knew because he read her file. Those memories were not real, they were "implants". Rachael is an experimental replicant who was given memories because it made controlling her emotions easier.

The only plausible explanation of Gaff knowing about Deckard's daydream is that Deckard is himself a replicant with memory implants and that Gaff read Deckard's file. He left a tiny origami outside Deckard's flat to show him that he knew.

In fact, I think Gaff was the real Blade Runner all along. Throughout the film he is seen closely monitoring Deckard. He is there every time Deckard "retires" a replicant. Going after replicants is dangerous work since they are faster, stronger and in Roy's case, more intelligent than humans. But Gaff is more cunning. So, he uses a replicant to do his dirty work for him.

Cool shit Ray.

And I agree with uberman, (did I type that?)........most remakes suck and tons of CGI,especially when badly done is fucking up otherwise potentially good movies

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2012, 07:16:50 PM »
Strange, I have. Everyone that saw it, that I know, loved it.

It was good, but it wasnt Blade Runner good

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2012, 07:21:15 PM »
And yes, Deckard was most definitely a replicant.

"Its too bad she won't live, but then again who does!!?"

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2012, 07:21:22 PM »
It was good, but it wasnt Blade Runner good
Yes, everyone I know liked it a lot. Said it wasnt "amazing", but was a great sci-fi movie if you just went in with and left your pre-concieved notion at the door, and just enjoyed the ride.

I think part of the problem with Ridley Scott is everyone invariably compares his work to his early films. Of course its not going to be groundbreaking like his early works - as he's already broke that ground. Its a rare person that manages to be a constant supply of fresh ideas into their old age.

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2012, 08:21:39 PM »
You left out the biggest clue. Which was a total mind fuck. :)

origami unicorn....?

edit: oh too late
"

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2012, 08:43:03 PM »
Alien was plausible. Alien 2 and 3 started to get shitty. I liked black hawk down and blade runner from scott.

Prometheus is a badly written piece of shit with a cliche scene per second. It almost follows the exact same structure of an "alien" movie.
Fact is, nowadays when you go watch a movie, you ve seen it all in the trailer, and you re watching a patchwork of stuff mixed together that you ve alrdy seen the past last 20 years. I dont like the CGI everywhere that give an unatural, too perfect look to everything -started with the star wars sequels-, i think hand made sfx inte the past were somewhat more realistic when well done.

Nowadays everything is a remake of a remake of a remake. Maybe everything that could be done has already been done, maybe it's the end of an era.
\
This....If you are going to blow up a building...blow up a fucking building. Don't do it on a computer.

CGI is fine when you intertwine it with real, analog FX, and use when when it is impossible to film your vision. but it's a crutch that is relied on too often now.

Directors in the old days used their imagination and got creative, and made some classic movies. now with CG...there is no "imagination" any more, because if you think it, you can make it happen.....  some kid with a hot shit computer and a 3d animation program can make stuff that blows away Star Wars now , sitting at his desk eating oreos

They aren't even "movies" anymore...they are really expensive, very detailed cartoons in my opinion

The Avengers was a good flick, but i walked away thinking I saw a cartoon more than a movie

BOW

• Getbig III
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2012, 08:48:04 PM »
there was more holes in prometheus than swiss cheese.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2012, 08:51:17 PM »
:) Excellent scene. The pinnacle of Rutger Hauer's carrer, IMO.

I actually agree with this..awesome scene that all will remember for a very long time

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2012, 08:59:17 PM »

I gotta admit this is an excellent theory......I always read the ending as Gaff telling Deckard that he knew Deckard was harboring the last Replicant, but that he, and the agency which Deckard retired from, would not turn Deckard in and would leave him alone because they knew he loved her and further it was his "reward" for getting the other Replicants for them, thus saving them from serious hot water...

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2012, 09:05:24 PM »
Although now that I think of it, Deckard could have been a Replicant and the memories of him being a Blade Runner could have been implanted to give him more confidence and a sense of purpose in tracking down the other Replicants....

evandatp

• Getbig IV
  • Haunted4Pay
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2012, 01:10:25 AM »

I actually agree with this..awesome scene that all will remember for a very long time

I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off, the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark, near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments, will be lost in time, like tears in rain. [pause] Time to die.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2012, 06:09:58 AM »
Rutger Hauer endlessly trolls a young man for being a vagina.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2012, 07:15:03 AM »
I gotta admit this is an excellent theory......I always read the ending as Gaff telling Deckard that he knew Deckard was harboring the last Replicant, but that he, and the agency which Deckard retired from, would not turn Deckard in and would leave him alone because they knew he loved her and further it was his "reward" for getting the other Replicants for them, thus saving them from serious hot water...

That's the genius of it isn't it? I think in the end Ridley Scott wanted it both ways, just so there would be endless discussion about the film and it would stand the test of time. It worked very well. Blade Runner was the first "Director's Cut" to come out, ever, in 1992. More editions have followed.