Author Topic: Boxing is dead  (Read 5194 times)

maxkane69

• Getbig IV
  • PALUMBOISM DESTROYED BODYBUILDING!
Re: So Boxing is dead .... yeah right....
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 02:16:52 PM »
did you make the post during oscars career?

What do yo mean???

MB

• Getbig IV
Re: Boxing is dead.
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 02:19:35 PM »
mayweather is a stunted growth african american who fights other stunted growth's

He's the size of an average 8th grader and is boxing's top draw.  That's how we know boxing is dead.    

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2012, 02:21:02 PM »
What do yo mean???
i mean did you make the same claim with the last boxing star

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
Re: Boxing is dead.
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2012, 02:21:28 PM »
I don't get  why  wrestlers, street fighters ,  football players, strongman ..........etc. chose  MMA over boxing ,
Boxers  make more money , fight with pillows that don't even hurt , one discipline is  way easier to learn than many, defensibly  you only have to worry about your opponent  hands, no kicks ,elbows, takedowns ,submissions .......etc .

I just don't get it  ???

Boxing skilled elite are decades ahead of any MMA fighters in terms of advancement. Boxing is an art form to some extent. A bull in a china shop(aka Brock Lesner) moved up to the top of the MMA ranks in just a couple fights. Brock could have boxed his whole life and never made it out of golden gloves.

maxkane69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2012, 02:26:34 PM »
i mean did you make the same claim with the last boxing star
Are you referring to De La Hoya ???
Yes De La Hoya era was the start of the decline of boxing but the Floyd era is the DEATH OF BOXING !!!
At least Oscar did not dodge anybody and fought all the best in his time and was entertaining boxer with punching power not a dancing trashtalker cherrypicker with no puncing power like Floyd !

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2012, 02:54:35 PM »
Yes De La Hoya era was the start of the decline of boxing but the Floyd era is the DEATH OF BOXING !!!
At least Oscar did not dodge anybody and fought all the best in his time and was entertaining boxer with punching power not a dancing trashtalker cherrypicker with no puncing power like Floyd !

I agree with you on the corruption /business part of boxing but if you don't think that Mayweather technically is one of the best boxers of all time  you don't know shit about boxing .
after Mayweather and Manny retire someone else will come along after  and pick up the torch,
Alvarez, Chavez Jr (if he beats Martinez), Broner , Vargas ......................et c.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2012, 02:57:50 PM »
I agree with you on the corruption /business part of boxing but if you don't think that Mayweather technically is one of the best boxers of all time  you don't know shit about boxing .
after Mayweather and Manny retire someone else will come along after  and pick up the torch,
Alvarez, Chavez Jr (if he beats Martinez), Broner , Vargas ......................et c.

che what is it about stunted growth african americans or stunted growth boxers you stick up for , do you feel like they are your fake sons and you are rooting for your psuedo son this way
A

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2012, 03:00:34 PM »
you are aware that the 'boxing is dead' slogan has been pandered since the early 1900s, if its dieing that long it will outlast them all

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2012, 03:03:47 PM »
do you feel like they are your fake sons and you are rooting for your psuedo son this way

yes

you are aware that the 'boxing is dead' slogan has been pandered since the early 1900s, if its dieing that long it will outlast them all

Exactly , I have been hearing the same shit since I started boxing .

basil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2012, 03:49:53 PM »
I'm a huge boxing fan, but I think that those numbers are more indicative of a major lack of drawing power in the rest of boxing scene.  Outside Manny and Mayweather, who is drawing even close to those kinds of numbers?...and both Manny and Mayweather are only a fight or 2 away from retirement.  There are several awesome fighters out there today, but not really any drawing power from a caucasian perspective, and we're the ppl shelling out for the PPV buys.  The Mexicans are well represented in the talent pool though. 

maxkane69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2012, 04:15:55 PM »

Of corse Floyd is tecnically great boxer with amazing speed and talent but he is never been tested by a great opponent because he always dodge dangerous fighters ,even in a boxing era of mediocrity like the one we are living!

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
Re: Boxing is dead
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2012, 04:21:53 PM »
Im getting irritated with these thread title changes, is sarcasm not allowed around here ???
follow the arrows

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2012, 04:26:46 PM »
Im getting irritated with these thread title changes, is sarcasm not allowed around here ???

I agree

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2012, 04:33:32 PM »
Boxing isn't dead but its definitely not thriving. Those two alone make more than boxing as a whole...I'm almost certain they crush boxing as a whole.

However, as a sport that isn't good cause outside of them everyone else is unbearable to watch (Klitscho, Hopkins,ect) or just not a big enough draw. Cotto is the 3rd biggest draw in boxing and he lost to both. Canello Alvarez is the truth but young and might get touched.

Dawson vs Ward should be a good fight, two fighters on the cusp of the pound-4-pound title fighting in their prime.  
L

ob205

• Getbig III
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2012, 07:37:20 PM »
Agree with decline, but not dead.  Ask the man on the street who the heavyweight champ is today?  Ask in 1970's, 80's and even 90's.

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2012, 08:10:05 PM »
Of corse Floyd is tecnically great boxer with amazing speed and talent but he is never been tested by a great opponent because he always dodge dangerous fighters ,even in a boxing era of mediocrity like the one we are living!
yeah he never tested himself with the likes of corrales  ::)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2012, 08:18:53 PM »
Back in my day compared to now,it is dead and buried.

We had guys like:

Ray Leonard
Tommy Hearns
Marvin Hagler
Ray Mancini
Hector Camacho
Ali
Holmes
Shavers
Ernie Terrel
Jerry Cooney
Michael Spinks
Vinny Pazienza
Matthew Saiid Muhammed
Bob Foster
Vito Antefuermo
Ken Norton
Jorge Paez
Michael Carbajal
Roberto Duran
And tons of other great fighters in every weight class.

Now we have Mayweather.  ???

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2012, 08:22:30 PM »
boxing died with lee haney, after dorian all went downhill

maxkane69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2012, 10:39:21 PM »
yeah he never tested himself with the likes of corrales  ::)

Corrales suck , he was a mediocre boxer that only had decent punching power , nothing else !!!

arniefan

• Getbig I
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2012, 08:43:01 AM »
Back in my day compared to now,it is dead and buried.

Now we have Mayweather.  ???

who cares what size he is as long as he draws, you can't argue with mayweathers numbers or pacquiaos either for that matter, these two will go down in history as two of the greatest drawing boxers ever

mayweather
2007 vs de la hoya 2.4 million ppv buys
2009 vs Manuel Márquez 1.05 million ppv buys
2010 vs Mosley 1.4 million ppv buys
2011 vs Victor Ortiz 1.25 million ppv buys
2012 vs Cotto 1.5 million ppv buys

pacquiao
2008 vs de la hoya 1.25 million ppv buys
2009 vs Cotto 1.25 million ppv buys
2010 vs Margarito 1.15 million ppv buys
2011 vs Mosley 1.35 million ppv buys
2012 vs Marquez 1.45 million ppv buys

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2012, 08:57:36 AM »
 http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-manny-pacquiao-20120621,0,7227488.story

A 5- Judge WBO panel favors Manny Pacquiao in review of Timothy Bradley bout

Manny Pacquiao should have been the winner of his June 9 bout against Timothy Bradley, a five-judge panel assembled by the World Boxing Organization's championship committee unanimously decided after a video review.

Instead, Bradley won that fight -- and Pacquiao's WBO welterweight belt -- by split decision, setting off outrage among many people who saw the bout and thought Pacquiao was the clear winner.

Even with the determination of the panel of judges, the WBO is unable to overturn the outcome of the fight. Pacquiao said Thursday that's fine with him -- he told reporters in the Philippines that he would rather win back the belt in a rematch because otherwise "people may think I just usurped it."

Pacquiao added, "My supporters shouldn't worry. We're going to get that title."

The five unidentified judges on the review panel scored the fight 117-111, 117-111, 118-110, 116-112 and 115-113, all in favor of Pacquiao. At the fight, judge Jerry Roth gave Pacquiao a 115-113 edge, but Duane Ford and C.J. Ross determined Bradley won by the same score.

In his article covering the fight, The Times' Lance Pugmire called Ford's and Ross' scores a "stunning slight to punch statistics -- and the naked eyes of most everyone else." The Times' Kevin Baxter scored the fight 117-111 in favor of Pacquiao during round-by-round blog coverage of the bout.

WBO President Francisco "Paco" Valcarcel has said that the information garnered from the five judges on the review panel -- from New Jersey, Connecticut, Florida, Pennsylvania and Puerto Rico -- will be used to help persuade the Assn. of Boxing Commissions to bring in judges from outside their states for fights of such magnitude.