Author Topic: Executive privilege explained: What Obama's Fast and Furious document claim mean  (Read 6811 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Good summary.

Executive privilege explained: What Obama's Fast and Furious document claim means
Published June 20, 2012
FoxNews.com
AP

President Obama on Wednesday asserted executive privilege over Fast and Furious documents just as a House panel prepared to push ahead with a contempt vote against Attorney General Eric Holder.   

Here's what the president's action means:

-- Executive privilege allows Obama to withhold from Congress documents revealing internal communications and decision-making of the executive branch of government that he believes should remain confidential. 

-- A subpoena by Congress cannot override claims of executive privilege. However, the privilege is considered "qualified" and "not absolute," meaning it can be challenged and overturned in the courts, according to the Congressional Research Service. 

During Wednesday's hearing, Rep. Dennis Kucinich, D-Ohio, suggested to chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., that the dispute be resolved by the courts before Congress proceeded with a contempt vote. But Issa said the committee is "concurrently evaluating" the executive privilege claim and trying to get a "log" of executive privilege assertions from the White House. He also said the letter he received claiming executive privilege, which was from Deputy Attorney General James Cole, was not sufficient. "Only the president can do it," Issa said. "A letter saying the president has done it is not sufficient."

-- Historically, a challenge of executive privilege rarely reaches the courts. The majority of disputes over access to information have been resolved through political negotiations. 

"While reviewing courts have expressed reluctance to balance executive privilege claims against a congressional demand for information, they have acknowledged they will do so if the political branches have tried in good faith but failed to reach an accommodation," according to CRS.  

-- The idea of executive privilege is not explicitly mentioned in the U.S. Constitution, but the Supreme Court ruled it to be part of the "separation of powers" doctrine. 

-- This is the first time President Obama has asserted executive privilege. Presidents Richard Nixon, George W.  Bush and Bill Clinton all resorted to using executive privilege during their administrations. The practice has been used 24 times since President Ronald Reagan to protect the confidentiality of information.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/06/20/what-is-executive-privilege/

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Countdown to impeachment. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
He's not getting impeached or removed.  I'll settle for a regime change in January.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
He's not getting impeached or removed.  I'll settle for a regime change in January.

I want him jailed and sentenced to hard labor.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I want him jailed and sentenced to hard labor.

I just want him out of office so he return to his hometown of Chicago, start his speech tour, work on world peace, etc.  Maybe he'll turn out like Carter:  lousy president, very good former president.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I just want him out of office so he return to his hometown of Chicago, start his speech tour, work on world peace, etc.  Maybe he'll turn out like Carter:  lousy president, very good former president.

Jesus dude.   Come on you really believe that?   Obama is a malignant narcissist and will be a horrible ex president

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Jesus dude.   Come on you really believe that?   Obama is a malignant narcissist and will be a horrible ex president

It's possible.  Maybe he can make up for running the country into the ground by doing some good in the world.  Even "malignant narcissists" can do good things.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

haven't you heard

333 thinks the Dems are going throw him off the ticket and make Hilary the nominee

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
haven't you heard

333 thinks the Dems are going throw him off the ticket and make Hilary the nominee
Yeah I dont see Obama getting impeached.
Id just be happy if Holder resigns, honestly.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Executive privilege, as Issa noted in his opening remarks, can only be asserted when it involves direct presidential decision-making and communications. It cannot be invoked, legally, to prevent others in the chain of command from explaining their actions or responding to requests for information on their decisions in which the president is not involved.

Very interesting.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Executive privilege, as Issa noted in his opening remarks, can only be asserted when it involves direct presidential decision-making and communications. It cannot be invoked, legally, to prevent others in the chain of command from explaining their actions or responding to requests for information on their decisions in which the president is not involved.

Very interesting.

Deputy AG Ogden said Obama asked for the enhancement of gunrunner which became F and F.   both hitlery and Ghettobama are knee deep. In this.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!

You'll have to wait till 2016....Romney is far behind on electoral votes and is losing ground in those battle states.   He needs to get on the ball with things and stop dicking around
A

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
33, do you support an investigation into teh Bush DOJ for Operation Wide Receiver?  It appears we gave guns to bad guys, which were lost, back in 2006.  Why isn't Bush and his AG in jail?

The first known ATF "gunwalking" operation to Mexican drug cartels, named Operation Wide Receiver, began in early 2006 and ran into late 2007. Licensed dealer Mike Detty informed the ATF of a suspicious gun purchase that took place in February 2006 in Tucson, Arizona. In March he was hired as a confidential informant working with the ATF's Tucson office, part of their Phoenix, Arizona field division.[23] With the use of surveillance equipment, ATF agents monitored additional sales by Detty to straw purchasers. With assurance from ATF "that Mexican officials would be conducting surveillance or interdictions when guns got to the other side of the border",[24] Detty would sell a total of about 450 guns during the operation.[22] These included AR-15s, semi-automatic AK-pattern rifles, and Colt .38s. The vast majority of the guns were eventually lost as they moved into Mexico.[7][23][25]

At the time, under the Bush administration Department of Justice (DOJ), no arrests or indictments were made.
WIKI

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Fail x 100.   

WR was done w the know wedge of Mexico.

33, do you support an investigation into teh Bush DOJ for Operation Wide Receiver?  It appears we gave guns to bad guys, which were lost, back in 2006.  Why isn't Bush and his AG in jail?

The first known ATF "gunwalking" operation to Mexican drug cartels, named Operation Wide Receiver, began in early 2006 and ran into late 2007. Licensed dealer Mike Detty informed the ATF of a suspicious gun purchase that took place in February 2006 in Tucson, Arizona. In March he was hired as a confidential informant working with the ATF's Tucson office, part of their Phoenix, Arizona field division.[23] With the use of surveillance equipment, ATF agents monitored additional sales by Detty to straw purchasers. With assurance from ATF "that Mexican officials would be conducting surveillance or interdictions when guns got to the other side of the border",[24] Detty would sell a total of about 450 guns during the operation.[22] These included AR-15s, semi-automatic AK-pattern rifles, and Colt .38s. The vast majority of the guns were eventually lost as they moved into Mexico.[7][23][25]

At the time, under the Bush administration Department of Justice (DOJ), no arrests or indictments were made.
WIKI

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Fail x 100.   

WR was done w the know wedge of Mexico.

So your only beef with F&F is that we didn't notify the corrupt ass mexican govt about our law enforcement strategy?

NOT THAT THE GUNS WERE BEING GIVEN TO BAD GUYS AND LOST?

Please tell us you want holder out of officer because he didn't notify mexico - that's it?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

You'll have to wait till 2016....Romney is far behind on electoral votes and is losing ground in those battle states.   He needs to get on the ball with things and stop dicking around

Really?  Where are you getting that from? 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
So your only beef with F&F is that we didn't notify the corrupt ass mexican govt about our law enforcement strategy?

NOT THAT THE GUNS WERE BEING GIVEN TO BAD GUYS AND LOST?

Please tell us you want holder out of officer because he didn't notify mexico - that's it?

Fail.   Do you even know amyl trying about wr vs fnf?   I can't believe how  stupid you are.

240 is Back

• Getbig V

Fail.   Do you even know amyl trying about wr vs fnf?   I can't believe how  stupid you are.

tell me the difference.

I just read that we gave guns to bad guys in 2006.  These guns were lost.  pretty bad.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
tell me the difference.

I just read that we gave guns to bad guys in 2006.  These guns were lost.  pretty bad.

False.    WR was nothing at all like FnF. 

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Really?  Where are you getting that from? 

Karl Rove Electional Map, RealClearPolitics Electional Map....and practically every poll out there
A

240 is Back

• Getbig V
False.    WR was nothing at all like FnF.  

Can you place explain in 2 sentences the difference?

You said about it's diff because we didn't inform mexico.   Given the fact their govt is so corrupt, I can underrstand why.  My belief is therefore Bush DOJ was pretty dumb to inform Mex govt of their errant gun program.  Obama was wise not to tell them - but ignorant to use a program that didn't work before.  UNLESS it didn't work because mexican govt leaks.  but we dont know that.

You've shed a lot of confusion on this issue by saying you're made we didn't tell them.  Please clarify.

240 is Back

• Getbig V

Karl Rove Electional Map, RealClearPolitics Electional Map....and practically every poll out there

and five thirty eight, who nailed that 2008 election pretty well.   Intrade too.  Come to think of it, I can't think of any sources that have Romney winning electorally.

Maybe there's some other polls - SECRET polls - that romney keeps secret.  We'll probably hear about them right before the eleciton, like drudge 'leaked' for mccian in 08.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Can you place explain in 2 sentences the difference?

You said about it's diff because we didn't inform mexico.   Given the fact their govt is so corrupt, I can underrstand why.  My belief is therefore Bush DOJ was pretty dumb to inform Mex govt of their errant gun program.  Obama was wise not to tell them - but ignorant to use a program that didn't work before.  UNLESS it didn't work because mexican govt leaks.  but we dont know that.

You've shed a lot of confusion on this issue by saying you're made we didn't tell them.  Please clarify.

Fuck off con man.    Do your own research.   Wide recieverr was nothing at all compared to fand f

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Fuck off con man.    Do your own research.   Wide recieverr was nothing at all compared to fand f

i know.  F&F was more guns.  But you said your beef was that we didn't inform the corrupt govt of mexico.  not that many people were killed.  I was surprised.