Poll

If you voted for Obama in 2008, do you plan to vote for him this year?

Yes, he has done well
0 (0%)
Yes, he is better than any alternative
2 (22.2%)
Yes (other)
0 (0%)
No
1 (11.1%)
Hell No
6 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: POLL for those who voted Obama in 2008  (Read 2259 times)

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
POLL for those who voted Obama in 2008
« on: June 21, 2012, 12:42:30 PM »
?
R

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: POLL for those who voted Obama in 2008
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 01:10:52 PM »
voted hell no and people who think Romney will be better are freaking delusional.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 06:19:25 AM »
Hugo was the only one that voted for Obama ???
R

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 07:26:10 AM »
I interpreted my vote as a preventive vote against an improperly-vetted VP candidate from the other side, despite my centre-right and at times libertarian tendencies. I deemed it unacceptable that such an unqualified politician would be anywhere near the WH as opposed to going off on book tours and talking funny (in terms of silly things said, not accent), her true calling. Since there wasn't a drastic difference between the actual candidates, it wasn't that hard to vote Obama. It was also the first election I was old enough to vote in.

Further, Obama has done an admirable job as president (I'm about to defend this in a separate post). With that said, I'll return to my roots and vote Romney as a single-issue voter with the economy as my single issue. Thus, I'm voting 'prospectively'(looking forward) rather than retrospectively (evaluating the last four years).

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 07:24:52 AM »
Thanks to the people that participated in this poll.
R

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 04:24:06 PM »
I interpreted my vote as a preventive vote against an improperly-vetted VP candidate from the other side, despite my centre-right and at times libertarian tendencies. I deemed it unacceptable that such an unqualified politician would be anywhere near the WH as opposed to going off on book tours and talking funny (in terms of silly things said, not accent), her true calling. Since there wasn't a drastic difference between the actual candidates, it wasn't that hard to vote Obama. It was also the first election I was old enough to vote in.

Further, Obama has done an admirable job as president (I'm about to defend this in a separate post). With that said, I'll return to my roots and vote Romney as a single-issue voter with the economy as my single issue. Thus, I'm voting 'prospectively'(looking forward) rather than retrospectively (evaluating the last four years).
LOL so in order to prevent an inexperienced and improperly vetted VP you voted for an inexperienced and improperly vetted Pres?

BRILLIANT!!!!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 04:33:51 PM »
I interpreted my vote as a preventive vote against an improperly-vetted VP candidate from the other side

Luckily, Mitt is smart enough to flirt with Rubio early and often - then he will retreat to a safe choice that has been vetted at the nat'l level. 

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 06:01:52 PM »
LOL so in order to prevent an inexperienced and improperly vetted VP you voted for an inexperienced and improperly vetted Pres?

BRILLIANT!!!!

I agree that Obama was not vetted as comprehensively as he ought to have been. However, it was rather plain from his books and his voting record what one was getting: a centrist Democrat with a multilateralist foreign policy and aspirations for realizing a Clintonesque administration. Obama has more or less stuck to the approach outlined in his second book; you can inform yourself by checking its policy proposals and comparing them to his presidency if you actually care about any of this (in other words if you're interested in more than just yelling at people on a message board in all caps).

On the other hand, it was also rather clear what one was getting with Palin, and the actuary tables indicated a 1/3 chance of her inheriting the presidency if Mccain received two terms. Hence, my vote. Add to this the fact that Obama and Mccain weren't exactly polar opposites (opposing gay marriage, responsibly drawing down in Iraq and doubling down in Afghanistan, extending Bush's stimulus measures - something it is impossible to imagine Mccain not doing, and so on) plus the fact that a POTUS isn't all that powerful anyways, and the vote was not a difficult one to make.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 07:27:02 PM »
Obamas books were both complete lies and fabrications. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 07:29:56 PM »
In what sense, 3333?

David Maraniss just a wrote a bio on Obama said most of what he wrote was pure fiction. 

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 08:01:36 PM »
David Maraniss just a wrote a bio on Obama said most of what he wrote was pure fiction. 

OK, well I am referring pretty much exclusively to the second book, which mostly takes the form of a sketching of Obama's political philosophy plus a bunch of policy proposals. It is this vision which has, for the most part, been adhered to (for better or worse). I don't know the details of Maraniss's work and so must remain silent, though I assume it is concerned primarily with personal, biographical details.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 08:05:20 PM »
I agree that Obama was not vetted as comprehensively as he ought to have been. However, it was rather plain from his books and his voting record what one was getting: a centrist Democrat with a multilateralist foreign policy and aspirations for realizing a Clintonesque administration. Obama has more or less stuck to the approach outlined in his second book; you can inform yourself by checking its policy proposals and comparing them to his presidency if you actually care about any of this (in other words if you're interested in more than just yelling at people on a message board in all caps).

On the other hand, it was also rather clear what one was getting with Palin, and the actuary tables indicated a 1/3 chance of her inheriting the presidency if Mccain received two terms. Hence, my vote. Add to this the fact that Obama and Mccain weren't exactly polar opposites (opposing gay marriage, responsibly drawing down in Iraq and doubling down in Afghanistan, extending Bush's stimulus measures - something it is impossible to imagine Mccain not doing, and so on) plus the fact that a POTUS isn't all that powerful anyways, and the vote was not a difficult one to make.
LMFAO if you think obama is a centrist democrat then that must mean you think bush was an independent.... 

::) goodness gracious some of the stuff ppl spew on this site.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 08:35:06 PM »
LMFAO if you think obama is a centrist democrat then that must mean you think bush was an independent.... 

::) goodness gracious some of the stuff ppl spew on this site.

Bush was a very liberal in some respects, as when he expanded medicare without an accompanying cut in spending. And, if we take the stereotype of liberals as big spenders seriously, Bush was the most liberal president we've had in decades. He was most certainly not conservative in any genuine sense of the word.

Anyway, if you want to substantiate your implicit claim that Obama is far to the left then I'm all ears. Otherwise I'm afraid your post has added literally nothing to the thread.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 09:12:42 PM »
Bush was a very liberal in some respects, as when he expanded medicare without an accompanying cut in spending. And, if we take the stereotype of liberals as big spenders seriously, Bush was the most liberal president we've had in decades. He was most certainly not conservative in any genuine sense of the word.

Anyway, if you want to substantiate your implicit claim that Obama is far to the left then I'm all ears. Otherwise I'm afraid your post has added literally nothing to the thread.
now Ill agree with you that bush was no conservative in the true sense of the word.

ok obama: wanted govt run health care but was forced to compromise somewhat which if it isnt overturned by all estimations will make the federal govt a bigger spender than all of the private sector...

expanding inefficient and at times unneeded social programs: food stamps anyone, have you heard the new food stamp commercials talking about how ppl got skinny b/c of the fit meals from food stamps?

Intentionally not enforcing immigration laws

Creating a 4000 page application from a 36 page application for oil wells.

Patriot act extension

gay marriage

Everything about this admin has been a powergrab to grow govt.

I dont see how anybody can look a this admins agenda and actions and think they are anything but far left.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 05:17:47 PM »
now Ill agree with you that bush was no conservative in the true sense of the word.

ok obama: wanted govt run health care but was forced to compromise somewhat which if it isnt overturned by all estimations will make the federal govt a bigger spender than all of the private sector...

expanding inefficient and at times unneeded social programs: food stamps anyone, have you heard the new food stamp commercials talking about how ppl got skinny b/c of the fit meals from food stamps?

Intentionally not enforcing immigration laws

Creating a 4000 page application from a 36 page application for oil wells.

Patriot act extension

gay marriage

Everything about this admin has been a powergrab to grow govt.

I dont see how anybody can look a this admins agenda and actions and think they are anything but far left.

It seems you define 'far left' as anything you don't like; no wonder Obama is far left to you!

First of all, half of the items here have nothing to do with the liberal/conservative dichotomy as traditionally conceived. The Patriot Act grants the government certain powers in rather particular circumstances, and has nothing to do with the size of government. Perhaps it can be placed on an 'authoritarian vs. libertarian' spectrum, but that's about it. It's something entirely consistent with both liberalism and conservatism.

The size of applications does not determine whether a politician is liberal or conservative, nor the enforcement of immigration laws or lack thereof; liberals and conservatives have dropped the ball on this issue for decades.

So, let's get beyond the Fox News bullet points and look at the reality of the situation. The reality of Obama's centrism is constituted by the policies he has followed, including: healthcare reform that lacks a public option and instead relies on private insurers, with The Heritage Foundation's mandate at its core; a foreign policy that is largely a continuation of Bush's second term, including drone strikes up the wazoo and Guantanamo Bay's continued operation; banking reform that includes measures like the Volcker Rule, which is named after the Chairman of the Fed under Reagan who proposed it; and, a stimulus bill that had just as many Milton Friedman-inspired monetary measures as Keynesian fiscal measures. Spending on food stamps fluctuates with economic performance so of course it has been higher during The Great Recession; there is no evil conspiracy here.

Anybody who thinks all of this is what the far left is about is living a dream partly created by the shitty 'news' sources they utilize. Look at genuine Leftism in Europe to see exactly what Obama is not. Take a look at Swedish social democracy, or proposals emanating out of the Left during France's presidential election (e.g., a 100% tax on anyone making over 360K euros). I can't even think of any genuine Leftist politicians in this country off the top of my head, let alone far left politicians.

To call Obama far left is to fail to understand what the term means, to not have a clue about the nature of national policy these last four years, or both.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 05:22:24 PM »
It seems you define 'far left' as anything you don't like; no wonder Obama is far left to you!

First of all, half of the items here have nothing to do with the liberal/conservative dichotomy as traditionally conceived. The Patriot Act grants the government certain powers in rather particular circumstances, and has nothing to do with the size of government. Perhaps it can be placed on an 'authoritarian vs. libertarian' spectrum, but that's about it. It's something entirely consistent with both liberalism and conservatism.

The size of applications does not determine whether a politician is liberal or conservative, nor the enforcement or lack thereof; liberals and conservatives have dropped the ball on this issue for decades.

So, let's get beyond the Fox News bullet points and look at the reality of the situation. The reality of Obama's centrism is constituted by the policies he has followed, including: healthcare reform that lacks a public option and instead relies on private insurers, with The Heritage Foundation's mandate at its core; a foreign policy that is largely a continuation of Bush's second term, including drone strikes up the wazoo and Guantanamo Bay's continued operation; banking reform that includes measures like the Volcker Rule, which is named after the Chairman of the Fed under Reagan who proposed it; and, a stimulus bill that had just as many Milton Friedman-inspired measues as Keynesian ones.

Anybody who thinks all of this is what the far left is about is living a dream partly created by the shitty 'news' sources they utilize. Look at genuine Leftism in Europe to see exactly what Obama is not. Take a look at Swedish social democracy, or proposals emanating out of the Left during France's presidential election (e.g., a 100% tax on anyone making over 360K euros). I can't even think of any genuine Leftist politicians in this country off the top of my head, let alone far left politicians.

To call Obama far left is to fail to understand what the term means, to not have a clue about the nature of national policy these last four years, or both.
LMFAO, which far left individual are what authoritarian or libertarian?

so his authoritarian actions coincide with his far left ideals.

he wanted the public option but was forced to settle, that some how makes him centrist?

you sir are blind if you cannot see his idealogy is far left.

do us a favor and define far left here in a way that doesnt describe this admin...::)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 06:34:44 PM »

so his authoritarian actions coincide with his far left ideals.

he wanted the public option but was forced to settle, that some how makes him centrist?

do us a favor and define far left here in a way that doesnt describe this admin...::)

he gave you explicit examples of what "far left" looks like and it's not Obama

I've also pointed out many times that Obama if more of a moderate republican (in the old sense - pre-neocon and pre-teabag) than a far leftist

objective facts based on the broad spectrum of political ideology is just lost on you

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 06:41:47 PM »
Your quotient of addressing facts versus saying "LMAO" and insinuating I'm blind/retarded and so on is extremely low, so I'll give this one last shot before bidding you adieu.

This isn't a coherent English sentence and I have no idea what it is supposed to mean.

It's spelled 'ideology.'

I already defined the term ostensively, or, by pointing to examples, in my last post. I did this in both a positive sense and a negative sense: genuine leftism is something along the lines of Sweden's social democracy, or the extreme tax proposals coming out of France; and, it  is not signing healthcare legislation into law lacking a public option and having at its core a proposal from the ultra-conservative Heritage Institute, is not adopting Friedmanesque Monetarist policy, is not signing into law banking reform based to a large extent on the advice of Reagan's Fed chairman, and is not continuing the foreign policy of Bush's second term.

From these positive and negative facts it becomes clear that Obama is anything but far left. I repeat: you have no idea what the words you are using mean if you say otherwise.

Edit: Had to modify italics tags. Typing on a PS3 is retarded.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 06:42:37 PM »
he gave you explicit examples of what "far left" looks like and it's not Obama

I've also pointed out many times that Obama if more of a moderate republican (in the old sense - pre-neocon and pre-teabag) than a far leftist

objective facts based on the broad spectrum of political ideology is just lost on you
no what he did is try and fail to say what far left isnt...

so why dont you tell us what far left is then?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 07:20:40 PM »
no what he did is try and fail to say what far left isnt...

so why dont you tell us what far left is then?

he gave you examples

scroll up and read them again

btw - the farthest left national politician in this country is probably Bernie Sanders (IMO) and he and Obama are worlds apart

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 07:21:58 PM »
he gave you examples

scroll up and read them again

btw - the farthest left national politician in this country is probably Bernie Sanders (IMO) and he and Obama are worlds apart

FALSE.    Obamas record was to the left of sanders in 2008.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 07:29:27 PM »
FALSE.    Obamas record was to the left of sanders in 2008.

ok - well mabye you can provide some proof to support that claim and how about at the present moment.

Obama has continued many of same policies as Bush and even gone farther on some

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 07:51:01 PM »
ok - well mabye you can provide some proof to support that claim and how about at the present moment.

Obama has continued many of same policies as Bush and even gone farther on some

I hated GWB and resigned my membership to the RNC over W 's treason in 2oo5.  I was booted from FR for trashing Jorge arbusto.

Obama has been W's third term on roids. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 08:16:31 PM »
I hated GWB and resigned my membership to the RNC over W 's treason in 2oo5.  I was booted from FR for trashing Jorge arbusto.

Obama has been W's third term on roids. 

so nothing to back up your claim regarding Obama and Sanders >

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 08:22:25 PM »
so nothing to back up your claim regarding Obama and Sanders >

I'll post it tommorow.