Author Topic: Supreme Court Strikes 3 of 4 parts of Arizona's SB 1070  (Read 608 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Supreme Court Strikes 3 of 4 parts of Arizona's SB 1070
« on: June 25, 2012, 08:12:05 AM »
WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Supreme Court struck down most of  Arizona’s strict law targeting illegal immigrants, but said Arizona’s police can stop, question and briefly detain immigrants if they have reason to believe they are in the country illegally.

The justices said the federal government has the ultimate authority to decide who will be held on immigration charges and deported. 

While police cans stop people they suspect are illegal immigrants, the justices said the police have limited authority. They must check with federal immigration agents before deciding to hold the suspects.

The justices also blocked parts of the Arizona’s SB 1070 that would have made it state crime for illegal immigrants to carry documents or to seek work.

The court’s decision appears to give states such as Arizona a quite limited role in enforcing the laws against illegal immigrants.

Their police can notify federal agents if they have a suspect in custody, but they cannot keep them in a county jail on state charges.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-supreme-court-issues-split-decision-on-arizona-immigration-law--20120624,0,6007133.story

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Supreme Court Strikes 3 of 4 parts of Arizona's SB 1070
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 09:44:42 AM »
Both sides claiming victory.  Will be interesting to see what Obama says about this.  He doesn't want to praise the court too much before the Obamacare ruling.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 09:46:53 AM »
I expected this. Unfortunately, immigration is in the hands of an unwilling government.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 09:54:17 AM »
nothing's official until 333386 chimes in with some sort of anti Obama rant.
w

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 09:55:05 AM »
nothing's official until 333386 chimes in with some sort of anti Obama rant.

Hodge podge ruling.   Ridiculous and offers no guidance or precedential value. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 10:03:17 AM »
This is so stupid.

why do we even have borders now?   Why do i need to show my passport when i enter the country?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 10:09:35 AM »
This is so stupid.

why do we even have borders now?   Why do i need to show my passport when i enter the country?

I agree.  It's a shame that they won't let the states step in and do everything they can to protect their citizens when the federal government won't do its job. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 10:35:44 AM »
"Papers, please".

Something about that is very un-american.

Wait until obama cheats his way to a 2012 win, the tea partiers protest openly...

and you have cops in new york "rounding up" bald muscular white dudes and putting them in fenced off camps cause they might be illegal Euro immigrants...

Any law that can result in abuse liek this is a bad one.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 11:59:15 AM »
Arizona v. United States--- Scalia's Dissenting Bench Statement
 Justice Antonin Scalia ^ | June 25, 2012 | Justice Antonin Scalia

June 25, 2012 Justice Antonin Scalia Bench Statement

Scalia's last two paragraphs below. Full Bench Statement follows.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Arizona bears the brunt of the country’s illegal immigration problem. Its citizens feel themselves under siege by large numbers of illegal immigrants who invade their property, strain their social services, and even place their lives in jeopardy. Federal officials have been unable to remedy the problem, and indeed have recently shown that they are simply unwilling to do so.

Arizona has moved to protect its sovereignty—not in contradiction of federal law, but in complete compliance with it. The laws under challenge here do not extend or revise federal immigration restrictions, but merely enforce those restrictions more effectively. If securing its territory in this fashion is not within the power of Arizona, we should cease referring to it as a sovereign State. For these reasons, I dissent.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 05:34:33 PM »
Arizona v. United States--- Scalia's Dissenting Bench Statement
 Justice Antonin Scalia ^ | June 25, 2012 | Justice Antonin Scalia

June 25, 2012 Justice Antonin Scalia Bench Statement

Scalia's last two paragraphs below. Full Bench Statement follows.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Arizona bears the brunt of the country’s illegal immigration problem. Its citizens feel themselves under siege by large numbers of illegal immigrants who invade their property, strain their social services, and even place their lives in jeopardy. Federal officials have been unable to remedy the problem, and indeed have recently shown that they are simply unwilling to do so.

Arizona has moved to protect its sovereignty—not in contradiction of federal law, but in complete compliance with it. The laws under challenge here do not extend or revise federal immigration restrictions, but merely enforce those restrictions more effectively. If securing its territory in this fashion is not within the power of Arizona, we should cease referring to it as a sovereign State. For these reasons, I dissent.

The voice of reason.

Tigerblood

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 02:20:53 AM »
This is so stupid.

Well my guess is because you're entering the United States Corporation which is the reason why they licenses, permits, etc. etc.