Author Topic: Ask a Buddhist  (Read 27358 times)

DKlent

• Getbig III
Re: Ask a Buddhist
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2012, 07:02:40 AM »
Dude..I know you mean well...but you are basically saying the same thing that i have been saying throughout this thread.....if you reread the thread you will see that you have basically repeated what I have said.....just as you, I have stated that I am not perfect and working toward Enlightenment..you said the same thing....just as you, I stated that I am active in having a sex life but I try my best to forego sexual pleasure as much as I can (hence I stated I do not masturbate and save sex for special moments)...as you said, I have said that I do not practice all aspects of Buddhism....you too have redefined enlightenment since you said you do not believe in reincarnation (like me)....therefore you cannot possibly believe that enlightenment can be reached in death....as I do....therefore it must be sought in life

you and I are so much alike its laughable....but yet you put me down and say I am not a true Buddhist???

So, to be clear, you DO believe that Sex for the purpose of pleasure is non-conducive to enlightenment? It is just that you are working towards that goal? Refraining from sex?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2012, 07:19:20 AM »
Very interesting thread.

DKlent, do you consider surfing getbig/the internet as entertainment?  I realize that you said no one expects people to follow Buddhism to a tee.

What does Buddhism say about suffering?  I think I heard that it is a large part of it's focus?

Does Buddhism have a Holy Book like Christians have the Bible?

You said something about "the next Buddha" to come.  Does Buddhism have any type of outlook/prophecy/etc. regarding "end time" stuff?

Thanks for this thread.

R

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2012, 07:23:13 AM »
So, to be clear, you DO believe that Sex for the purpose of pleasure is non-conducive to enlightenment? It is just that you are working towards that goal? Refraining from sex?

no I don't believe that..but why are you solely focusing on that???

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2012, 10:18:41 AM »
If anyone has any questions for a Buddhist, let me know. I am not someone who practices all tenants of Buddhism, but I may be able to help others understand the basics of Buddhism explained in an understandable way.

Does anyone have any sort of questions?

What is the best way for a Buddhist to build his tris?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 10:21:42 AM »
How much did Buddha hack squat?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2012, 11:23:06 AM »
MOS you are cracking me up today!
R

DKlent

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2012, 03:18:54 PM »
no I don't believe that..but why are you solely focusing on that???

Because it is a major aspect of Buddhism. Have you read on Annata yet?

DKlent

• Getbig III
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2012, 03:22:52 PM »
Very interesting thread.

DKlent, do you consider surfing getbig/the internet as entertainment?  I realize that you said no one expects people to follow Buddhism to a tee.

It isn't entertaining honestly. It is interesting as a learning experience I guess.

What does Buddhism say about suffering?  I think I heard that it is a large part of it's focus?

A lot. The main problem of life is suffering. Dissatisfaction. The main goal in Buddhism is abolishing suffering.

Does Buddhism have a Holy Book like Christians have the Bible?

Buddhism has "texts", namingly the Sutras or the Pali canon. These are discourses of the Buddha or commentary passed down from early Buddhist teachings. It isn't like the Christian bible though. It shouldn't be seen as a "holy book".

You said something about "the next Buddha" to come.  Does Buddhism have any type of outlook/prophecy/etc. regarding "end time" stuff?

Thanks for this thread.

Yes and No. Depending on the schools of Buddhism. Buddhas only come every few thousand years and so the next one will be titled Maitreya. 

DKlent

• Getbig III
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2012, 03:36:34 PM »
1. If earthly attachment is inherently "lower," why does a genuine Buddhist remain on earth at all? Insisting on staying and experiencing life in some form or other certainly seems to be indicative of attachment. Why not "detach" entirely, if you know what I'm sayin'?

Buddhas themselves remain on earth to teach the path to enlightenment.

Buddhists in general remain on earth because this life is most important. Even among Buddhists who believe in enlightenment, the goal is to perfect yourself as much as you can in this life so that you can get closer to achieving enlightenment in the next life.

Suicide itself is seen as a bad karma among those believing in enlightenment. It might take you further away from your goal of enlightenment.

For buddhists who do not believe in enlightenment, all that we do is for this life so taking it away makes no sense anyway.

2. Please attempt to express what "Enlightenment" is, since it is a goal you are pursuing. Surely one must have some understanding of a goal one is in pursuit of.

Enlightenment is a very very complex thing to explain and I don't have a lot of time to explain it here. Enlightenment is, in brief, the ultimate goal of Buddhism as in Buddhism suffering is the problem of life. All of our problems are due to suffering of one form or another. When Buddhism refers to suffering, it means mental sufferings not headaches and burns and such. What causes mental sufferings? Many things but attachment is the main cause of suffering because, if we are not attached to anything and crave nothing then when we don't get things it will not affect us.

Enlightenment is about realizing the truth of reality, ridding ourselves of suffering, improving our knowledge to super-human levels (self knowledge), understanding ourselves and others, separating ourselves from our egos, realizing that all is one in this universe, enhancing our emotional powers with overflowing motivation, energy, inspiration, wisdom, love and caring. Enlightened beings (Buddhas or Arahats) love everything as if it is themself, because they see that everything is part of them as they are part of everything else. Separations between "I" and "them" are imaginary. Enlightenment realizes a level of mental mindfulness which is more pleasurable than any physical pleasure known to man, and that is why Buddhas do not have sex. Having sex for a Buddha would be sort of like playing tetris on a cracked blurry cellphone while hiking in the most pristine and beautiful meadows and mountains in the world, or playing tic-tac-to on a dirty napkin while sitting on the most amazing beach in the world. It would be a distraction and it would take away from enlightenment experience due to the fact that it doesn't stack up at all. This is what Andreas does not understand and realize why this is important for Buddhists.

Beyond that, Enlightenment can be described in 10 thick books and still it would not touch the surface and still...enlightenment can never be comprehended by anyone UNLESS they achieve enlightenment. It would be like describing a rainbow to someone who has been blind their entire life, or a Beethoven symphony to someone who has always been deaf. Just is not possible.

3. Does Buddhism have any sort of punishment in store for the heathens like andreisman?

Depends on the Buddhist school, though in my opinion NO. There are no punishments in Buddhism other than those punishments that we inflict upon ourselves due to our OWN ignorance. If I walk into a hall full of pointy nails then I'll get stabbed with nails. This is a result of my action. Not a "punishment" by any means, just a result.

What is the result of not following the path to enlightenment in Buddhism?

You don't become enlightened.  :-\

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2012, 03:45:47 PM »
What does Buddha suggest for calves?

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2012, 05:36:14 PM »
How can I get more random blowjobs?

G

DKlent

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
How can I get more random blowjobs?

Become gay.

DKlent

• Getbig III
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2012, 09:17:31 PM »
What does Buddha suggest for calves?

Walking. The Buddha walked all day long. Buddhist Monks do all sorts of walking. Many Indian Buddhist monks traveled to the middle east and China back in the day to preach.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2012, 10:16:32 PM »
is buddhism a religion?

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2012, 10:26:03 PM »
again..I really think that you and I are on the same page....we are both trying to reach enlightenment....we are on "the way",,,,the road to enlightenment...it takes time to get there and it takes a lifetime of practice.....you yourself said you have sex as I do...I don't believe that giving up sex is what was meant in terms of detachment....but constantly thinking about sex, masturbating constantly (which is a dissipation of energy), banging chicks left and right.....thats detrimental.....you have to detach from that.....having sex with your wife or girlfriend is ok in my opinion.....we are not striving to be monks...

as for enlightenment.....I believe that its getting to a point in your life where you are able to live in peace and harmony with no bad thoughts lingering in the mind ...being able to totally sublimate your ego so that you are not bothered by slights both petty and big.....not arguing, fighting, cursing at people, having wisdom and understanding......I try to live within Buddhism the best way that I can in this day and age.....some of the aspects of Buddhism cannot work for me in this era......to truly detach I would have to not surf the net, watch TV, etc....

when enlightened there is no tension in the mind...tension is caused by attachment to things...wanting things you will probably never have...possessing things that you have to take care of.....possessions wind up owning YOU instead of you owning it or them......trying to hold on to these possessions also causes tension.....tension puts stress on the body and mind and causes emotional outbursts

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2012, 10:26:42 PM »
is buddhism a religion?

its a religion but I prefer to see it as a psychology of daily living

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2012, 10:27:55 PM »
Become gay.

he's already gay...what else ya got for him>? :)

DKlent

• Getbig III
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2012, 03:13:57 AM »
is buddhism a religion?

Yes & No. It is a religion when practiced as a religion. It is often practiced as a religion among people. Though, inherently, it is not a religion. Modern Buddhism has absorbed many local religions as it spread and has adopted their gods and mixed.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2012, 08:33:50 AM »
its a religion but I prefer to see it as a psychology of daily living

I prefer to think of it as a science of mind

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2012, 05:26:04 AM »
I prefer to think of it as a bunch of horseshit.
G

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2012, 08:13:52 AM »

even though I consider myself a Buddhist I too have had this thought as well my gay friend :).....which is why I do not practice the religious part of it,..just the daily psychological living

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2012, 09:28:11 AM »
even though I consider myself a Buddhist I too have had this thought as well my gay friend :).....which is why I do not practice the religious part of it,..just the daily psychological living
Gay?

Oh, OK.

G

DKlent

• Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2012, 11:47:04 AM »

Why?

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2012, 12:28:48 PM »
Why?

why do you think its not horseshit?......could be...I have an open mind about it...thats why I only practice the parts that make sense to me

DKlent

• Getbig III
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2012, 09:32:04 PM »
why do you think its not horseshit?......could be...I have an open mind about it...thats why I only practice the parts that make sense to me

Your choice.