Author Topic: Ask a Buddhist  (Read 27455 times)

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
Re: Ask a Buddhist
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2012, 10:17:12 PM »
As a buddhist what is your view on other world religions?

IMO buddhism has probably the best PR out there of any religion, in popular culture it is portrayed almost as the most ideal non-dogmatic religion. Outside of the meditative practice people know very little of buddhism, so the impression is that it is free of the problems found in other religions. Can you mention things you don't like in buddhism, and compare problems of fundamentalism/dogmatism/extremism to the abrahamic religions? (judaism, christianity, islam)

Also, besided meditation what does buddhist practice consist of? Can you give a brief overview?

Thanks!
follow the arrows

DKlent

• Getbig III
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2012, 10:05:19 AM »
As a buddhist what is your view on other world religions?

IMO buddhism has probably the best PR out there of any religion, in popular culture it is portrayed almost as the most ideal non-dogmatic religion. Outside of the meditative practice people know very little of buddhism, so the impression is that it is free of the problems found in other religions. Can you mention things you don't like in buddhism, and compare problems of fundamentalism/dogmatism/extremism to the abrahamic religions? (judaism, christianity, islam)

Also, besided meditation what does buddhist practice consist of? Can you give a brief overview?

Thanks!

Buddhism is like any other belief system. Anyone can call themselves a "Buddhist" and still go out and commit genocide and rape and murder. It has happened. Buddhism is, by no means, free of the problems of other belief systems. Dogma, adherence to old scriptures, pointless ceremonies and chanting are all common among people who purport to be Buddhists.

Though, someone who follows what the Buddha actually taught would not do any of this.

Meditation is one of the major aspects of Buddhism. The point of Buddhism isn't just sitting down Indian style and clearing your mind. Buddhism is about opening yourself up, opening your mind, emptying your cup, becoming mindful and contemplative, free of anger and hate and full of love and sympathy, persistent, thoughtful, energetic, egoless, prideless, seeking mental improvement, humbling oneself, understanding that you are nothing in the grand scheme of things, etc. Meditation should take place 24/7. Not just in moments of the day but every moment. Mindfulness of all we do should be persistent.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2012, 12:50:18 PM »
Our pleasures make us miserable.

DKlent

• Getbig III
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2012, 08:50:13 PM »

Basically; Yes. What pleasures us causes us to desire. When we do not get what we desire, we suffer.

What causes us pain causes us displeasure, we desire not to have pain and thus we suffer.

If we abolish desire, we do not suffer.

We can suffer physically, but Buddhism is about "dissatisfaction" or "suffering" in the mental/psychological sense.

Nothing is permanent. Our pain will pass, our pleasure will pass. Good things come and good things go. Bad things come and bad things go. We must become indifferent to the coming and going of the good/bad and see it all as one thing.

As Satan's character in John Milton so eloquently put it:

Above his equals. Farewell, happy fields,
Where joy for ever dwells! Hail, horrors! hail,
Infernal world! and thou, profoundest Hell,
Receive thy new possessor--one who brings
A mind not to be changed by place or time.
The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.
What matter where, if I be still the same,...

Here we may reign secure; and, in my choice,
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2012, 09:11:53 PM »
Buddhism is like any other belief system. Anyone can call themselves a "Buddhist" and still go out and commit genocide and rape and murder. It has happened. Buddhism is, by no means, free of the problems of other belief systems. Dogma, adherence to old scriptures, pointless ceremonies and chanting are all common among people who purport to be Buddhists.

Though, someone who follows what the Buddha actually taught would not do any of this.

Meditation is one of the major aspects of Buddhism. The point of Buddhism isn't just sitting down Indian style and clearing your mind. Buddhism is about opening yourself up, opening your mind, emptying your cup, becoming mindful and contemplative, free of anger and hate and full of love and sympathy, persistent, thoughtful, energetic, egoless, prideless, seeking mental improvement, humbling oneself, understanding that you are nothing in the grand scheme of things, etc. Meditation should take place 24/7. Not just in moments of the day but every moment. Mindfulness of all we do should be persistent.
Thanks for your reply.

Re: the bolded, I see this as the aim of meditation. What good is meditating in a room for an hour, then going about your day as usual? Analogously, after ritual prayer or scriptural study one should strive to live it rather than treat it as a temporary pastime or relief from pressures.

I came across this quote of the Buddha earlier, though I do not know of the veracity of it:
'However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?'

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/b/buddha.html#C7I55kGSxMyTVpUL.99
follow the arrows

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2012, 10:35:47 PM »

you still haven't answered why you think you are a superior Buddhist to me....

DKlent

• Getbig III
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2012, 06:12:33 AM »
you still haven't answered why you think you are a superior Buddhist to me....

Because you aren't a Buddhist?

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2012, 06:34:28 AM »
Because you aren't a Buddhist?

Don't be silly ...you and I said basically the same thing

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2012, 06:49:22 AM »

Basically; Yes.

Am I a Buddhist then?   :o

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2012, 10:29:59 AM »
Basically; Yes.

Am I a Buddhist then?   :o
Or is DKlent a christian?  ;)
follow the arrows

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2012, 11:09:47 AM »
Or is DKlent a christian?  ;)

LOL     ;D

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2012, 09:38:54 AM »
Basically; Yes. What pleasures us causes us to desire. When we do not get what we desire, we suffer.

What causes us pain causes us displeasure, we desire not to have pain and thus we suffer.

If we abolish desire, we do not suffer.

We can suffer physically, but Buddhism is about "dissatisfaction" or "suffering" in the mental/psychological sense.

Nothing is permanent. Our pain will pass, our pleasure will pass. Good things come and good things go. Bad things come and bad things go. We must become indifferent to the coming and going of the good/bad and see it all as one thing.

As Satan's character in John Milton so eloquently put it:

Above his equals. Farewell, happy fields,
Where joy for ever dwells! Hail, horrors! hail,
Infernal world! and thou, profoundest Hell,
Receive thy new possessor--one who brings
A mind not to be changed by place or time.
The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.
What matter where, if I be still the same,...

Here we may reign secure; and, in my choice,
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

it's attachment to the object of  desire that causes suffering

DKlent

• Getbig III
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2012, 10:55:46 AM »
it's attachment to the object of  desire that causes suffering

Desire is attachment.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2012, 07:51:30 PM »
Desire is attachment.

you see, I see desire differently....there is nothing wrong with desire.....it is okay and natural to want things....but you have to draw the line in that if you do not achieve those things which you covet, it should not lead you into a depression or to a bad place where you seek revenge or try to hurt someone or yourself in retaliation.....

it is very difficult to practice true Buddhism today....we muddle through as best we can with the best of intentions.....and we hope to someday reach that place where we can be free of attachment

I see attachments as being so intertwined emotionally with a possessing things or people that when you lose them you lose focus and begin to become depressed or melancholy

For instance, if you have a corvette and the corvette gets stolen or damaged it should not bother you....it is s THING...not something to be mourned over.....just replace it....or do without it....to me, being a Bhuddist today means being practical and reasonable...unemotional ly detached and being able to look at things from a third person objective position.....so that decisions can  be made rationally and without emotion, which if done emotionally can turn out really bad due to the lack of perspective..

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2012, 08:54:30 PM »
Desire is attachment.

desire is transitory just like "feelings, perceptions, impulses, consciousness"

attachment is the problem and its cause is "ignorance"

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2012, 09:14:38 PM »
desire is transitory just like "feelings, perceptions, impulses, consciousness"

attachment is the problem and its cause is "ignorance"

I agree with your statement...good job

DKlent

• Getbig III
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2012, 09:36:31 AM »
you see, I see desire differently....there is nothing wrong with desire.....it is okay and natural to want things....but you have to draw the line in that if you do not achieve those things which you covet, it should not lead you into a depression or to a bad place where you seek revenge or try to hurt someone or yourself in retaliation.....

it is very difficult to practice true Buddhism today....we muddle through as best we can with the best of intentions.....and we hope to someday reach that place where we can be free of attachment

I see attachments as being so intertwined emotionally with a possessing things or people that when you lose them you lose focus and begin to become depressed or melancholy

For instance, if you have a corvette and the corvette gets stolen or damaged it should not bother you....it is s THING...not something to be mourned over.....just replace it....or do without it....to me, being a Bhuddist today means being practical and reasonable...unemotional ly detached and being able to look at things from a third person objective position.....so that decisions can  be made rationally and without emotion, which if done emotionally can turn out really bad due to the lack of perspective..

Well, you disagree with significantly with Buddha himself but you are still a "Buddhist"?

I'm guessing you eat meat too, am I right?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2012, 12:26:37 PM »
Well, you disagree with significantly with Buddha himself but you are still a "Buddhist"?

there is nothing wrong with eating meat

if your personal belief is to refrain from eating meat then that is your business

DKlent

• Getbig III
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2012, 08:12:44 PM »
there is nothing wrong with eating meat

if your personal belief is to refrain from eating meat then that is your business

Killing living beings is forbidden in Buddhism. It is one of its main beliefs.

But is there something "wrong" with eating meat? Absolutely. Meat means killing a living being, with thoughts and feelings and emotions. Making a differentiation between killing animals and humans is non-scientific. The only difference is the 'level' of emotion and thought. Both have it.

My business? Yeah. It is that too.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2012, 08:37:57 PM »
Killing living beings is forbidden in Buddhism. It is one of its main beliefs.

But is there something "wrong" with eating meat? Absolutely. Meat means killing a living being, with thoughts and feelings and emotions. Making a differentiation between killing animals and humans is non-scientific. The only difference is the 'level' of emotion and thought. Both have it.

My business? Yeah. It is that too.

you definitely seem attached to your beliefs

DKlent

• Getbig III
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2012, 08:49:47 PM »
you definitely seem attached to your beliefs

No. The only thing I am attached to is the truth. My beliefs concern the truth, if the truth changes my beliefs change. I change my beliefs based on the evidence that is presented to me and the facts available.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2012, 09:45:57 PM »

of course I do...I'm a man

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2012, 09:48:02 PM »
No. The only thing I am attached to is the truth. My beliefs concern the truth, if the truth changes my beliefs change. I change my beliefs based on the evidence that is presented to me and the facts available.

yet you say that like me, you don't believe in re-incarnation...which is a major principle of Buddhism..plus you have sex like I so...

you are hypocritical

DKlent

• Getbig III
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2012, 10:20:28 PM »
of course I do...I'm a man

That may be so....Still up for debate but that may be so..

But you certainly are no Buddhist.

I'm a vegetarian. I am a man. I am a Buddhist.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2012, 10:28:55 PM »

what is your evidence about your personal decision to not eat meat and what truth does it reveal?