Author Topic: New York large soda ban - hot dog eating contests  (Read 3439 times)

D-Ware

• Getbig II
New York large soda ban - hot dog eating contests
« on: July 04, 2012, 06:41:57 AM »
Mayor bloomberg wants a ban on large sodas.  At the same time new york city is hosting the nathans hot dog eating contest.  

Is this attack on large sodas sold merely an attack on the very powerful soft drink companys? A limit on freedom?  Or does it have peoples health in mind?

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
Re: New york large soda ban/ hot dog eating contests
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 06:44:13 AM »
Silly pandering. You can no more regulate caloric intake than you can morality.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 06:44:27 AM »
Mayor bloomberg wants a ban on large sodas.  At the same time new york city is hosting the nathans hot dog eating contest.  

Is this attack on large sodas sold merely an attack on the very powerful soft drink companys? A limit on freedom?  Or does it have peoples health in mind?

Bloomhebe is an attention whore.  Hope this helps.
~

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 06:54:57 AM »
he should make it illegal to be fat  :P

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 06:59:44 AM »
if u guys have never had the sabrett hot dogs from the vendors in manhatten u dont know what u r missing,dont forget to tell him to add the red onions though ;)
R

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 07:07:57 AM »
How can people support this ban?  I mean if you dont want to buy a lrge soda, just dont buy it.  I dont understand why a law is needed.  At the same time promoting the super bowl of over eating

I imagine that most people don't support the ban. 
~

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: New York large soda ban - hot dog eating contests
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 07:13:07 AM »
Mayor bloomberg wants a ban on large sodas.  At the same time new york city is hosting the nathans hot dog eating contest.  Is this attack on large sodas sold merely an attack on the very powerful soft drink companys? A limit on freedom?  Or does it have peoples health in mind?

Another stupid proposed law that will serve nothing.  Why sodas? Does a 32oz Diet Coke with no sugar part of this 'ban' or just the regular sodas?  Also, it only bans them in certain places.  You still would be able to get the large sizes in supermarket and stores.  Another useless ban like the 'Happy Meals' ban in San Francisco, which did NOTHING and circumvented the problem of the core issues.

Yes, there is an obesity issue in America. But it underlying issue needs to be changed.  How about banning 'commercials' , 'advertising' and ads that make drinking soda 'cool'.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 07:13:43 AM »
If this proves unpopular then the next step on this liberal agenda will be to tax "large" sodas to pay for the health care of "undocumented people of size" or some such nonsense.  

Just like the tax on cigarettes, they really do not wish you to quit, they just want a larger slice of your pie.  Liberals want to gorge at the Tax Table Buffet until they and their coffers are turgid with money to "help" the poor.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 07:14:51 AM »
Another stupid proposed law that will serve nothing.  Why sodas? Does a 32oz Diet Coke with no sugar part of this 'ban' or just the regular sodas?  Also, it only bans them in certain places.  You still would be able to get the large sizes in supermarket and stores.  Another useless ban like the 'Happy Meals' ban in San Francisco, which did NOTHING and circumvented the problem of the core issues.

Yes, there is an obesity issue in America. But it underlying issue needs to be changed.  How about banning 'commercials' , 'advertising' and ad that make drinking soda 'cool'.

Even better...let people assume responsibility for their own health and get off the "ban" train altogether.
~

Alex23

• Getbig IV
  • Rely on knowledge.
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 07:16:21 AM »
Isn't it interesting that we won't revolt against politicians who spend our money to meander fecklessly over these trivial pointless issues, all the while failing to address what really matters?

If you gave your kid $20 for gas money to fill up the car, and he instead buys a comic book and plays the arcade, wouldn't you cuff him upside the head? Yet we tolerate politicians who do essentially the same thing with what one can only describe as crippling apathy.

I guess if you can't see it in your own backyard killing your own family, it's someone else's problem. Selfish gene indeed.

Gem of a post.
®

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 08:23:10 AM »
Isn't it interesting that we won't revolt against politicians who spend our money to meander fecklessly over these trivial pointless issues, all the while failing to address what really matters?

If you gave your kid $20 for gas money to fill up the car, and he instead buys a comic book and plays the arcade, wouldn't you cuff him upside the head? Yet we tolerate politicians who do essentially the same thing with what one can only describe as crippling apathy.

I guess if you can't see it in your own backyard killing your own family, it's someone else's problem. Selfish gene indeed.
Im ready. Lets do this shit.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 08:48:05 AM »
Big Brother in effect.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 09:26:54 AM »
Do whatever you want to your body but don't expect me to pay for it.  Nor do I expect you to pay for me.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 10:03:24 AM »
Do whatever you want to your body but don't expect me to pay for it.  Nor do I expect you to pay for me.

qft   
~

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 11:22:50 AM »
Going by your experience, was it this bad when woodrow wilson was president?  :D
No,in fact Woody was a cool dude.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 03:57:19 PM »
No,in fact Woody was a cool dude.

Was "Woody" your special name for him?   :-X
~

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 03:59:06 PM »

A ban on large soda's?  Wtf do we pay these clowns for?  Not to mention that goes against everything the constitution stands for. 

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 04:39:30 PM »
Soda is just a start. Think about Obamacare. We will soon have to pay extra tax for any type of junk food. They are just using NYC as a market for trial. This will go federal if Obama and his followers stay in office. With Obamacare do you think they want to spend money on fat unhealthy people? no. This is their solution. They will soon control every aspect of our lives. They do that enough now, but they want to control what goes into your shopping cart as well.

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 04:45:16 PM »
what also is kinda sad, people are dying of starvation and you have these slobs gorging on hot dogs.. good ol america...

there was a talk show (forgot her name, Regis' counterpart) on earlier i was watching while doing cardio at the gym where contestants were bobbin in a huge tray of bakes beans for franks, they would grab them with their mouth and spit them out into a plate. obviously all that food was going in the trash when the contest was over- it hit me then also.. like wtf are we doing.. slobs..

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 04:48:06 PM »
hot dogs have protein.  so they're cool.

pepsi and dr pepper are foul, but mountain dew is highly anabolic.

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2012, 07:41:26 PM »
The ban is symbolic in gesture and hopefully will get the ball rolling on things to come as governments and other groups press for bans and labeling on obviously unhealthy foods. 

America is FAT......and you ever see those one out of eight people are hungry commercials?  Its wrong.....about SIX out of eight people are hungry....hungry for cakes and 2 liters of Faygo.

Perhaps they should link obesity to being a national security issue.....copious amounts of money that are siphoned from the Treasury so you can get your quadruple bypass when you're 35 and about a dozen different prescriptions of diabetes meds....money that could otherwise have been used to fight Terror.