Author Topic: Did your father/gramps/greatgramps do something in WW2 ? (or you Wes) ?  (Read 8953 times)

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch

DON'T MENTION THE WAR !!

Figo

• Getbig V
I heard Wes was a highly decorated hero in the Civil War

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
I heard Wes was a highly decorated hero in the Civil War
That's cool....guess he was too old to fight in WW2...

Anyway my grandfather blew up a building full of German weapons....that COOL.. 8)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
My Grandfather ( my mother's father ) served in the South Pacific and the ship he was on was torpedoed , he was fine not sure if anyone else was hurt

My Grandfather ( my father's father ) served stateside in WW1 at the time of his death in 1997 he was one of the oldest WW1 vets in the U.S. at 93

Figo

• Getbig V

Anyway my grandfather blew up a building full of German weapons....that COOL.. 8)

Tough and hard times those. Props to your Grandad.

Can't imagine what people went through

Figo

• Getbig V
My Grandfather ( my mother's father ) served in the South Pacific and the ship he was on was torpedoed , he was fine not sure if anyone else was hurt

My Grandfather ( my father's father ) served stateside in WW1 at the time of his death in 1997 he was one of the oldest WW1 vets in the U.S. at 93

Wow

ND, if your paternal Grandad was born in 1904,  he was very young during WW1, wasn't he? 1914-1918

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
Wow

ND, if your paternal Grandad was born in 1904,  he was very young during WW1, wasn't he? 1914-1918
He was The Kid from hell..... 8)

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
My maternal grandparents in Rotterdam hid jewish refugees below their store/shop (they had an art galerie). One day there was a razzia, and the refugees had to quickly hide. One German soldier saw a foot of a jewish child stick out of the hiding place, and whispered to gramps: "hide him, quickly..". 
My grandparents never held a grudge against the Germans after the war, a great part due to this soldier... 8) 8)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Grandpa drove an M18 Tank Destroyer built by Buick.  Served in 8 European countries.  Saw Dachau, Obersalzberg, Nuremburg during the trials, La Havre, the Ardennes in the Battle of the Bulge.

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
Grandpa drove an M18 Tank Destroyer built by Buick.  Served in 8 European countries.  Saw Dachau, Obersalzberg, Nuremburg during the trials, La Havre, the Ardennes.

8)  Is he still alive ?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V

It's funny you say that, I heard a story about my grandfather and another guy running a long fuse into some kind of underground mine full of German Ammunition and blowing it up.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
Yes, indeed. GrandDa, on my Da's side, served (underage) on a minesweeper. He lost an older brother, who pulled the same duty. Got a few of his medals, somewhere.  

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
Wow

Enlisted illegally at 15 0r 16 if I recall correctly

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
It's funny you say that, I heard a story about my grandfather and another guy running a long fuse into some kind of underground mine full of German Ammunition and blowing it up.
Well, this happened near Rotterdam, Holland..

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
These guys never had the help that's available for todays vets.....

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
8)  Is he still alive ?

No, he died in 2008 at 82.  He was kind of like the old man on Gran Torino.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
No, he died in 2008 at 82.  He was kind of like the old man on Gran Torino.

That's cool. He was actually very young in the war....respect.

bigkubby

• Getbig IV
NO BUT PANCHO VILLA IS MY GRANDPA
i

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
NO BUT PEEWEE HERMAN IS MY GRANDPA
8)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
My dad's dad fought in Okinawa. He recovered a trunk from a burned down village. In it was a bunch of track and field gear, trophies, and a photo album. There were pictures in there from America; the kid in the pics once competed at the LA Coliseum, plus some stuff from NYC, like the Statue of Liberty and whatnot.

Gramp held on to it for forty some years.

During the olympics in '88, he contacted the local paper here and told them his story. They found the dude in the pics! He was some kind of sports official/ambassador in Japan. They flew the guy in and met at the newspaper's office, where my grandpa returned his stuff. They did a big story on it.

The guy was really nice and grateful to get his things back.

True story.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
My dad's dad fought in Okinawa. He recovered a trunk from a burned down village. In it was a bunch of track and field gear, trophies, and a photo album. There were pictures in there from America; the kid in the pics once competed at the LA Coliseum, plus some stuff from NYC, like the Statue of Liberty and whatnot.

Gramp held on to it for forty some years.

During the olympics in '88, he contacted the local paper here and told them his story. They found the dude in the pics! He was some kind of sports official/ambassador in Japan. They flew the guy in and met at the newspaper's office, where my grandpa returned his stuff. They did a big story on it.

The guy was really nice and grateful to get back his things.

True story.
8)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
Wow

I just checked his obituary he was 95 when he died in 1997, he was born in March of 1902. 

The Ugly

• Getbig V
I just checked his obituary he was 95 when he died in 1997, he was born in March of 1902. 

Much respect. RIP.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
All rode submarines and died in action except for one, who came back from a russian "work" camp which cost him his health.