Author Topic: Did your father/gramps/greatgramps do something in WW2 ? (or you Wes) ?  (Read 8999 times)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Stark:

Thanks for the quick and honest answer. Some lesser persons would have avoided that question. I give you props  (props: proper respect in American slang).
F

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
The SA/Sturmabteilung was homo and was also led by homo after homo (think Röhm), the SS however wasn't homo at all.

Stark

• Getbig V
The SA/Sturmabteilung was homo and was also led by homo after homo (think Röhm), the SS however wasn't homo at all.

hmm well that is were you are wrong - just because Röhm was a homosexual doesn't mean that everybody in the SA before they were disbanded were raging homosexuals.

The same can be said about the SS - but there WERE very strong homo erotic tendencies in the SS and the SA - its complicated to explain you really need to read about it.

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
So would I. I miss my grandpa now more than ever. The older I get, the more I wish I had his teachings to help me, but all I have is so limited, and faded with time and memories. And my grandma too. I just wish I could have a week with them, to spend with them, and let them know how much they meant to me for the short time I knew them. And to ask the gazillion questions I have.

When I was young, I swore if I had a daughter, she'd bear my grandmother's name. She does. My grandmother was the greatest lady I ever knew, and my grandfather was the bravest man I ever knew.

Something special died with that generation. Although, I hope I never have to be as brave as they were...to be there and face that adversity is to truly know the meaning of sacrifice. Most of us will never know that pain.

This. Could barely have said it better myself.  My grandfather enlisted in the Marines when he was 18.  He was in the 1st Marine division and was an island hopper in the pacific-he fought on both Peleliu and Guadalcanal, plus others.  He said, much like many others have said, that Peleliu was a living hell and even Okinawa seemed like a  vacation in comparison.  Here is him on Peleliu receiving his silver star-2nd from the right:  

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
This. Could barely have said it better myself.  My grandfather enlisted in the Marines when he was 18.  He was in the 1st Marine division and was an island hopper in the pacific-he fought on both Peleliu and Guadalcanal, plus others.  He said, much like many others have said, that Peleliu was a living hell and even Okinawa seemed like a  vacation in comparison.  Here is him on Peleliu receiving his silver star-2nd from the right:  
Mad respect. Some of the most bloody and terrible battles of WWII happened during that Island hopping campaign.
Now days we'd just sail a carrier battlegroup right up to their doorstep. Different type of men back then.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
Waffen SS may have been another story (great-uncle of mine served in that), but the regular Wehrmacht soldiers were just regular dudes. My paternal grandparents were ordered to house a German soldier aged 19, my dad was only a few years younger and they became friends. This soldier didn't no shit about politics, didn't even know what a Jew was. Just a farmers son from southern Germany. He was killed in battle a few weeks before the end of the war. My father and grandparents were extremely sad about it, cause it was just some kid......war is a political thing, ordinary people take the bullets.   :( :(

Guy was called Gunter...

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
Waffen SS may have been another story (great-uncle of mine served in that), but the regular Wehrmacht soldiers were just regular dudes. My paternal grandparents were ordered to house a German soldier aged 19, my dad was only a few years younger and they became friends. This soldier didn't no shit about politics, didn't even know what a jew was. Just a fermers son from southern Germany. He was killed in battle a few weeks before the end of the war. My father and grandparents were extremely sad about it, cause it was just some kid......war is a political thing, ordinary people take the bullets.   :( :(

Well, the Wehrmacht were not exactly innocent either.. especially on the eastern front. They did a lot of nasty stuff too, make no mistake about it.
from incomplete data

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Well, the Wehrmacht were not exactly innocent either.. especially on the eastern front. They did a lot of nasty stuff too, make no mistake about it.
Yeah, but so did the Russian's they were fighting. Pretty sure no ones hands were clean, not Germany, The US, Russia, Japan - it was a brutal war all around. Just because its looked upon as a "just" war for the Allies doesnt mean that horrible things didnt go on, on all sides.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
I know. But the Wehrmacht didn't consist of millions of devils...

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
Yeah, but so did the Russian's they were fighting. Pretty sure no ones hands were clean, not Germany, The US, Russia, Japan - it was a brutal war all around. Just because its looked upon as a "just" war for the Allies doesnt mean that horrible things didnt go on, on all sides.

I'm fully aware of how the media and propaganda glorified the Allies role in WWII, but even with that in mind it's not fair to compare America/Britain to Germany and Russia and say they all did almost equally bad things. It's not even close. Germany and Russia were two monsters and it's actually quite sickening how people look at the war with such a double standard. In my mind fighting on the side with Russia was just as bad as having been allies with Germany. It's inexcusable. Unfortunately, not a lot of people knew back then just how bad things were in the Soviet Union.

I know. But the Wehrmacht didn't consist of millions of devils...

Didn't stop them from executing people, plunder their villages and rape their women now did it?
from incomplete data

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
I'm fully aware of how the media and propaganda glorifies the Allies role in WWII, but even with that in mind it's not fair to compare America/Britain to Germany and Russia and say they all did almost equally bad things. It's not even close. Germany and Russia were two monsters and it's actually quite sickening how people look at the war with such a double standard. In my mind fighting on the side with Russia was just as bad as having been allies with Germany. It's inexcusable. Unfortunately, not a lot of people knew back then just how bad things were in the Soviet Union.

Didn't stop them from executing people, plunder their villages and rape their women now did it?
Agreed. The Russian's were a brutal opponent.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
Agreed. The Russian's were a brutal opponent.
x2   They paid an exorbitant price, and exacted many others.   

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
my granpops met gene autry(western movie star) while fighting in WW2
R

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Nope.  4F.  Stayed and fucked your grandma.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
Okinawa was hell on earth

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
hmm well that is were you are wrong - just because Röhm was a homosexual doesn't mean that everybody in the SA before they were disbanded were raging homosexuals.

The same can be said about the SS - but there WERE very strong homo erotic tendencies in the SS and the SA - its complicated to explain you really need to read about it.

I served in the SS myself, no signs of homo anywhere to be seen. I even sat butt naked on uncle Heini's lap while he stroke my hair several times.

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
We still miss you uncle  :'(

basil

• Getbig IV
My grandpa served for Canada in the North Atlantic.  

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
My Grandpa was in the Navy and he said those Kamikaze pilots were ruthless.  He enlisted so he could go in the Navy instead of the other forces.  He figured it would be safer on the ship but a lot of those guys died.  Nowhere to hide on a boat in the ocean...lol.  My uncle was in the Marines and was part of the Normandy invasion.  He said the stench was so bad with blood and guts everywhere.  Only a few of his buddy's survived.  WW2 was no joke.

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
Dad was an Army Air Corps Armourer,...that is he loaded and fused bombs onto bombers,...after he passed we found a letter signed by Curtis Lemay commending him for "an incidence of significance"...This was a total suprise, He Never mentioned it once...The letter also talked about how he loaded and fused the incendiaries used for the Dresden firestorms.

He went to WWII much older than the others,...in his thirties...He probably would not have been called up in the draft. He said he did it because of Franklin Roosevelt...we have no idea today just how popular Roosevelt and his policies were then.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
Dad was an Army Air Corps Armourer,...that is he loaded and fused bombs onto bombers,...after he passed we found a letter signed by Curtis Lemay commending him for "an incidence of significance"...This was a total suprise, He Never mentioned it once...The letter also talked about how he loaded and fused the incendiaries used for the Dresden firestorms.

He went to WWII much older than the others,...in his thirties...He probably would not have been called up in the draft. He said he did it because of Franklin Roosevelt...we have no idea today just how popular Roosevelt and his policies were then.

Not surprised your dad never talked about dresden.

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016

just how old are you Sync?  I'm 43 and my Grandpa was in WW2.  You gotta be in your 60's.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
47...My dad did everything late in life,...including fathering a child when he was  56 and mom was over 45...I was a ....surprise.  My brother and sister are much older than I am.

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
Imagine fusing the incendiary bombs which unbeknown to him would be used to kill thousands of children by fire. That's something you wouldn't want reminded of or commended for and guys like your dad would have to live with the knowledge of what these bombs would do for the rest of their lives. Not easy, especially as they saw their own kids grow up. It's not just about killing the enemy while seeing the whites of their eyes as they try to kill you. My grandmother had 2 younger brothers who both were on lancaster bombers during ww2. They absolutely could not talk about it.