Author Topic: City workers wages slashed in Scranton, Pennsylvania  (Read 4153 times)

Game Time

• Getbig III
  • Go out fatboy
City workers wages slashed in Scranton, Pennsylvania
« on: July 09, 2012, 10:28:46 PM »
"Firefighters, police and other public workers in a Pennsylvania city saw their wages slashed to minimum wage rates on Friday, in a move by the cash-strapped city to balance its budget, city officials said.

Scranton's public workers would be paid $7.25 an hour "indefinitely" starting with Friday's paychecks as part of a plan initiated by the mayor, Chris Doherty."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/06/us-usa-pennsylvania-wages-idUSBRE86513O20120706

Any of you guys live in Scranton?

Next up Cali, NJ, etc.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
Re: City workers wages slashed in Scranton, Pennsylvania
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 11:35:39 PM »
Holy fuck!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 11:38:10 PM »
The promises our teachers made.  If we worked hard, if we behaved....

Mattyh7688

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 11:45:05 PM »
Well,  I don't live in Scranton, PA.. but I do live in Pennsylvania, and from my experience unions have a MASSIVE stranglehold on this state and public workers are vastly overpaid for their skill levels. I know teachers making $75k a year and garbage men with a high school degree making over $55k. I should mention the cost of living in PA is generally very low, outside of Philly too. So this is a lot of money.

Cashfan

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 11:47:14 PM »
75k?!?!?!  Hobnobbing with Warren Buffet and driving an almost paid for 2006 Camry on that kind of salary, Im sure.

Mattyh7688

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 11:50:06 PM »
75k?!?!?!  Hobnobbing with Warren Buffet and driving an almost paid for 2006 Camry on that kind of salary, Im sure.
LOL, sadly around here that is actually a good amount of money.. He works literally half the year and brags about coming home during his free period lol. The private school teachers get paid about half here and provide a MUCH superior education. It is quite sad.

Game Time

• Getbig III
  • Go out fatboy
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 07:16:31 AM »
Well,  I don't live in Scranton, PA.. but I do live in Pennsylvania, and from my experience unions have a MASSIVE stranglehold on this state and public workers are vastly overpaid for their skill levels. I know teachers making $75k a year and garbage men with a high school degree making over $55k. I should mention the cost of living in PA is generally very low, outside of Philly too. So this is a lot of money.
Good to know

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 07:25:49 AM »

So Pennsylvania and Switzerland swope places?

Heywood

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 07:31:30 AM »
Most civil service workers are clerks.  Not police and firemen.

just sayin.....

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 07:32:19 AM »
"Firefighters, police and other public workers in a Pennsylvania city saw their wages slashed to minimum wage rates on Friday, in a move by the cash-strapped city to balance its budget, city officials said.

Scranton's public workers would be paid $7.25 an hour "indefinitely" starting with Friday's paychecks as part of a plan initiated by the mayor, Chris Doherty."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/06/us-usa-pennsylvania-wages-idUSBRE86513O20120706

Next up Cali, NJ, etc.

Public sector unions are locusts and need to be banned. 

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 07:45:20 AM »
LOL at Scranton.  I can imagine the crime with the gangs and the one black person that lives there.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 08:06:53 AM »
Who cares?  I know it will sting for these guys to take a hit, but they don't do anything to justify their salaries. Now, I'm sure someone will post about how their mom is a civil servant and works hard or whatever, but for the most part, they are shit. All govt jobs should be privatized. I have a buddy who works for a municipality and he does shit. I mean less than shit. Drives around all day dodging work. His boss goes to lowes and gets lumber for his model trains. The amount of government waste is brutal. They can come work for me and get a decent/deserved wage. And, as far a unions up north, fuck them. I bid some work in Jersey/Philly area and I had to get in touch with two separate unions. One for labor and one for equiplenty operators. I thought, what a fucking joke, to pay some asshole to stand around and watch my guys work while he does shit.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 08:41:31 AM »
This is why Michael Scott left.

G

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 09:18:07 AM »
75k?!?!?!  Hobnobbing with Warren Buffet and driving an almost paid for 2006 Camry on that kind of salary, Im sure.

$75k goes a long way in different places.

For example in Chicago, Southern California, NYC....etc that salary is average/below average.

In Pennsylvania, places in Florida...etc you can live like a king. A buddy of a buddy bought a place outside of Erie on 10 acres for $50K cash with a 2 bedroom house

Mattyh7688

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 09:21:45 AM »
$75k goes a long way in different places.

For example in Chicago, Southern California, NYC....etc that salary is average/below average.

In Pennsylvania, places in Florida...etc you can live like a king. A buddy of a buddy bought a place outside of Erie on 10 acres for $50K cash with a 2 bedroom house

^^^ I live in Erie. It is RIDICULOUSLY cheap, everything is. It also makes people delusional when they never leave the city and think $5 for a cover and $4 for a drink is wayyyyy to much lol. Erie is a cess pool and I am happy to be moving in September. I have unfortunately been stuck here all my life.

A kid I played football with in high school moved from New Jersey, his parents had a million dollar home here. He said it would have been around 7-8 in New Jersey.

People think 50-60k is a great job around here. It is kind of sad and depressing.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 11:35:43 AM »

Next up Cali, NJ, etc.
40 some odd miles from scranton, if you want to go back in time say 20 to 30 years go to hazelton pa, they're just now learning what vhs stands for.
F

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 11:36:59 AM »

Isn't that where the Dracula is from ?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 11:37:55 AM »
to make it bbing. best bber from scranton probably was....
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 11:41:25 AM »
Isn't that where the Dracula is from ?
no, but that's where lou barletta's is from alot of people think he's worse than dracula.
F

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 11:59:27 AM »
It's good that teachers are making 75k, if only that was the starting salary (you never stated how far up the tier they are). If starting pay was 75-85k, you'd get better quality teachers. Afterall, they have to deal with "your" (as in America) poor behaving, spoiled, bratty kids, and are expected to be the mothers and fathers that their parents aren't.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 12:05:09 PM »

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 12:12:12 PM »
heard this story on the John and Ken show on KFI

Prison Dentist in california was getting $621,000 a year

http://www.thewealthydentist.com/blog/1341/california-to-lay-off-prison-dentists/

Mattyh7688

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2012, 12:56:12 PM »
It's good that teachers are making 75k, if only that was the starting salary (you never stated how far up the tier they are). If starting pay was 75-85k, you'd get better quality teachers. Afterall, they have to deal with "your" (as in America) poor behaving, spoiled, bratty kids, and are expected to be the mothers and fathers that their parents aren't.
They have been a teacher for 4 years now, I am unsure of his starting pay. The school district he is in provides a horrible education and catholic private schools basically run Erie County in education. It is sad they have high quality educations, and MUCH more effective teachers getting paid about $40k a year with not the same benefits. I know there is more that goes into it why schools are better and so forth... My uncle is actually on the school board for the city of erie as of this year. The spending is out of control there. I worked as a janitor in the summer for my summer job a few years ago.. Janitors were making $28/hr with full benefits. Every teacher I knew who worked for a public school as a teacher was a borderline retard anyways. Schools are also financed by the property taxes of the district.. so you will have some amazing looking schools, with great equipment and teachers and respectable students because their families are well off.. Then you have the hood rats, where the city is struggling with the budget, but the teachers REFUSE to take a pay cut and will actually go on strike if it is even mentioned. The teachers are the most stubborn pieces of shit I have ever personally seen, they get paid extra for doing after school activities and they constantly bitch omg i have to buy my students this..if they had any common sense they would realize it is tax deductible. I have no respect for about 90% teachers. Most are complete morons who had absolutely no chance of becoming something in the real world. Don't get me wrong there are some awesome teachers out there, but after working at a school, knowing a bunch of public school teachers, going to school with a bunch of teachers, etc.. they should be paid a joke of a salary for their 180days of "working" 8-3.

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2012, 01:12:28 PM »
Land of opportunity.
T

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2012, 02:08:27 PM »
^^^ I live in Erie. It is RIDICULOUSLY cheap, everything is. It also makes people delusional when they never leave the city and think $5 for a cover and $4 for a drink is wayyyyy to much lol. Erie is a cess pool and I am happy to be moving in September. I have unfortunately been stuck here all my life.

A kid I played football with in high school moved from New Jersey, his parents had a million dollar home here. He said it would have been around 7-8 in New Jersey.

People think 50-60k is a great job around here. It is kind of sad and depressing.

i would be sad and depressed paying 7 -8 times more for a house in new jersey

E
E