Author Topic: Baseball salary  (Read 1810 times)

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
Baseball salary
« on: July 13, 2012, 07:17:21 PM »
minimum wage is $480,000 per year.

Union dues are $65 a day during the season.

There are some straight up scrubs out there playing and earning this kind of money.  I would rather see a pay system that delivers on yearly performance.  What's up with $65 a day for union dues?  That is outrageous.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
Re: Baseball salary
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
minimum wage is $480,000 per year.

Union dues are $65 a day during the season.

There are some straight up scrubs out there playing and earning this kind of money.  I would rather see a pay system that delivers on yearly performance.  What's up with $65 a day for union dues?  That is outrageous.

Assuming an 180 day season (approximation of 162 game regular season), the 480K amounts to about $2,667 per day (pre tax).  Union dues would represent about 2.4% of each day's wage for a player earning the minimum salary.

How does that compare to a union worker in a more modestly compensated position?  (I'm asking because I have no idea what typical union dues are.)

~

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 04:17:42 PM »
Assuming an 180 day season (approximation of 162 game regular season), the 480K amounts to about $2,667 per day (pre tax).  Union dues would represent about 2.4% of each day's wage for a player earning the minimum salary.

How does that compare to a union worker in a more modestly compensated position?  (I'm asking because I have no idea what typical union dues are.)

It's because of that union that they are able to make such high salaries as unproven rookies.

Either way, I don't have a problem with it.  Other than the select few who get first round signing bonuses of ~1.5M, there are tons of guys who get paid crap, and only have a short window to make decent money.   Most of these guys have been prepping for this, and have no experience in getting "real" jobs, so they need to earn as much as possible in the short window of time.

Here's their pension plan:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CFkQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbusiness.illinois.edu%2Fd-sinow%2Ffin434%2Fdocs%2FMLB%2520Pension%2520Plan%2520-%2520Final.ppt&ei=r_0BULneJqb10gGm8_i0Bw&usg=AFQjCNEEM1uyDq1AGg6D4tQDpA5qHx1TQw&sig2=jusmy88V7Katpko-i8Ln4Q
Y

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 04:31:58 PM »
The union no doubt would have great benefits.  I have a hard time accepting the fact that a business owner would throw money at a guy without any experience at the big league level.  That is like me going for a job as a Surgeon and getting a sign on bonus and big salary because I have potential and have some experience cutting a steak.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 04:44:37 PM »
The union no doubt would have great benefits.  I have a hard time accepting the fact that a business owner would throw money at a guy without any experience at the big league level.  That is like me going for a job as a Surgeon and getting a sign on bonus and big salary because I have potential and have some experience cutting a steak.

You make a good point about experience, but the process of moving up through the amateur ranks to elite status is such a gauntlet that the scouts who play a big part in determining player selection usually (with some notable misses) make fairly reliable predictions of a player's future value. 

~

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 05:55:06 PM »

It's not remotely like that at all.  They're so far past the "steak cutting" phase once they reach the MLB.

But, you're also not realizing the context as it relates to MLB.  Entry level salary of 465K (which is pro rated by the # of games they play) is small when the elite of the sport are earning 25M.   That's only 1.86% of what the top makes, and about 25% of the median.

And, as AG pointed out, they're pretty vetted by the time they get to the MLB.
Y

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 06:03:14 PM »
Theres a pool of guys with a track record for every amateur league up until this point.

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 06:14:11 PM »
I get the perspective of "compared to other ballplayers" but it is way outta hand.  In 2008 the minimum was 360,000 i think.  That is a significant raise in 4 years to 480,000.  I guess if it is ran like a business to me it doesn't make good business sense.  99% of employed working stiffs never see that kind of pay raise.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 08:49:41 PM »
I get the perspective of "compared to other ballplayers" but it is way outta hand.  In 2008 the minimum was 360,000 i think.  That is a significant raise in 4 years to 480,000.  I guess if it is ran like a business to me it doesn't make good business sense.  99% of employed working stiffs never see that kind of pay raise.

It does though.  To get fans in the seats, you need elite level talent.  To get elite level talent, you have to pay for it.   The owners are still making money.
Y