Author Topic: Obama: "If You've Been Successful, You Didn't Get There On Your Own" - lmfao!!  (Read 44804 times)

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
G

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Putting Mitt Romney's attacks on 'You didn't build that' to the Truth-O-Meter

Share this story:
 Mitt Romney's presidential campaign has gone on the offensive to attack a comment they say betrays President Barack Obama's contempt for private business.

President Barack Obama responded to Mitt Romney's attacks by releasing this Web video titled "Tampered."
For nearly two weeks, the Romney and Obama campaign have been arguing about whether President Barack Obama insulted entrepreneurs.

The argument started with comments Obama made about the intersection of business and government during a July 17, 2012 campaign appearance.

Romney, in comments at public events and in several ads, has argued that the remarks show a general disdain for business. The Republican National Committee and the National Federation of Independent Business are among the groups have released their own videos and statements echoing Romney that the president is out of touch.

In one fundraising e-mail, Matt Rhoades, Romney’s campaign manager, decried Obama’s "naïve view that government, and not the hard work, talent, and initiative of people, is the center of society and the economy." In another campaign e-mail, Amanda Henneberg, a Romney spokeswoman, said Obama had "denigrated Americans who built their own businesses."

The issue has become so big that the Obama campaign felt the need to address the issue head-on in a Web video titled "Tampered" that quoted media accounts saying the quote had been taken out of context.

Earlier, we looked at the full context of Obama’s statement. Here we will put a recent Romney claim about Obama’s comment to the Truth-O-Meter. To do this, we’ll look at the latest Romney web video in the seemingly endless back and forth.

Here's how the Romney campaign prefaced the video on its website:

"President Obama recently said: ‘If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen.’

"Clearly, this President doesn't understand how our economy works.

"Mitt Romney understands that we have to celebrate people who start enterprises and employ other people rather than devalue them. Success is not the result of government, it is the result of hard-working people who take risks, create dreams, and build lives for themselves and for their families.

"Stand with Mitt today and stand up for Americans who work hard to build their businesses, their homes, their families and their communities."

In this item, we’ll rate the claim that Obama was saying success "is the result of government," not "hard-working people," when he said, "If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen."

In case you didn't catch it the first 5,000 times the snippet ran on cable, yes, those words were uttered by Obama.

But as you can see when you read the full text of his remarks, that quote distorts the meaning of Obama's claim. (Romney himself has been a victim of this kind of shenanigans, when opponents claimed he said he liked firing people.)

Here is the full context, from Obama's speech in Roanoke, Va.:

"There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me -- because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t -- look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

"If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

"The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

"So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That’s how we funded the G.I. Bill. That’s how we created the middle class. That’s how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That’s how we invented the Internet. That’s how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that’s the reason I’m running for President -- because I still believe in that idea. You’re not on your own, we’re in this together."

We believe, as do our friends at FactCheck.org and the Washington Post Fact Checker, that Romney has seriously distorted Obama’s comments.

Romney cherry-picked a quote that made it sound like Obama was dismissive of businesses when in fact he was making a point that success comes from the combination of "individual initiative" and the fact that "we do things together."

The biggest problem is that the Romney campaign has left out the lead-up to the statement -- that "if you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges."

These words indicate that Obama was referring to infrastructure and educational opportunities that were paid for by taxpayers through the government -- things that established a necessary foundation for making private businesses successful.

We think his meaning is clear -- that both business people and government play a role in the American enterprise system, not purely one or the other.

Our ruling

In speeches and videos, the Romney campaign has repeatedly distorted Obama's words. By plucking two sentences out of context, Romney twists the president's remarks and ignores their real meaning.

The preceding sentences make clear that Obama was talking about the importance of government-provided infrastructure and education to the success of private businesses.

Romney also conveniently ignores Obama's clear summary of his message, that "the point is ... that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."

By leaving out the "individual initiative" reference, Romney and his supporters have misled viewers and given a false impression. For that, we rate the claim False.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
A person can't help but ask why these two sentences would be placed out there, no matter what the supposed intent for them may have been.

SLYY

• Getbig IV
  • A mug only your mom could love...
A person can't help but ask why these two sentences would be placed out there, no matter what the supposed intent for them may have been.

What two sentences are you referencing, that are causing you to be confused?

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V

"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen."

SLYY

• Getbig IV
"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen."

333's post (19 days ago) of the speech should clear up your confusion.  Check out the rest of the paragraph which will explain the first two sentences.

Posted on July 15, 2012

Obama: "If You've Been Successful, You Didn't Get There On Your Own"

PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA:

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

If that does not clear up the confusion, check out what Romney said 5 days later (18 days ago).  They are saying the same thing, so hopefully that will clear up any confusion you may have about the "two sentences."

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
Do you suppose there may have been an intent to stir conflict by the use of these words?

SLYY

• Getbig IV
Do you suppose there may have been an intent to stir conflict by the use of these words?

By both candidates?

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
By both candidates?

We are talking about these words:

SLYY

• Getbig IV
We are talking about these words:

I bring up Romney's quotes in this thread because 333 is so focused on Obama's words and forgets Romney (the only other candidate with a shot) agrees.

Before I answer your question, I will use another quote by Romney from July 18th:

There are a lot of people in government who help us and allow us to have an economy that works, and allow entrepreneurs and business leaders of various kinds to start businesses and create jobs.  We all recognize that.” 

To answer your question, no, I do not personally believe that Obama used those words with the intent to stir conflict.  The fact that his bitter rival, Mitt Romney conceded to those words, should tell you that theme of Obama's speech (including those words) is recognized and accepted by mainstream America.  I mean, "WE ALL RECOGNIZE" that a lot of people in government help businesses.   

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
To answer your question, no, I do not personally believe that Obama used those words with the intent to stir conflict.     

Do you think he may have forgotten about the existence of such a common tactic, whereby a sentence or more may be presented as a standalone statement--no matter what the intent of the containing expression?

SLYY

• Getbig IV
Do you think he may have forgotten about the existence of such a common tactic, whereby a sentence or more may be presented as a standalone statement--no matter what the intent of the containing expression?

Did Romney forget the "common tactic," when he tried to insult Obama's "two sentences," only to agree with them seconds later in his speech?  

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
Did Romney forget the "common tactic," when he tried to insult Obama's "two sentences," only to agree with them seconds later in his speech?  

I wouldn't know.  If he was here, I'd ask him.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
 :).

What did obama ever build?    Nothing but a pile of debt.  

SLYY

• Getbig IV
I wouldn't know.  If he was here, I'd ask him.

Obama isn't here either, I guess we will have to read the speeches and comprehend them for ourselves.  Luckily, in this case, both candidates agree...so, the issue is moot.

SLYY

• Getbig IV
:).

What did obama ever build?    Nothing but a pile of debt.  

He built a large space in your head   :)

Anyway, I see you are trying to deviate from the issue you are "lmfao" at and your purpose for starting this thread...again.  Not much else you can do at this point.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
Obama isn't here either, I guess we will have to read the speeches and comprehend them for ourselves.  Luckily, in this case, both candidates agree...so, the issue is moot.

You're here, though...what do you say?

SLYY

• Getbig IV
You're here, though...what do you say?

You are here too.  But, I understand your hesitation in answering my question.  I will deviate from the issue in this thread and answer your question.

I assume you have seen all of the wonderful quotes made by Romney overseas.  Both of these men are Harvard grads and Presidential candidates (one of course is Prez).  Moreover, do you remember the Republican primaries?  Do you remember all the quotes made by those Presidential hopefuls?

None of the people above "have forgotten about the existence of such a common tactic, whereby a sentence or more may be presented as a standalone statement--no matter what the intent of the containing expression"  They are politicians, they make speeches constantly...it's part of their job.

What you have seem to have forgotten is that sentences make up the body of the paragraph, just as the supporting paragraphs make up the body of a speech/essay (the people mentioned above, KNOW this and therefore did NOT forget THE "common tactic").

Jack, do you read one sentence of a speech/essay and determine that...THAT sentence alone IS the speech/essay?  Or do you read the entire speech/essay to understand and comprehend its meaning?

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
I assume you have seen all of the wonderful quotes made by Romney overseas.  Both of these men are Harvard grads and Presidential candidates (one of course is Prez).  Moreover, do you remember the Republican primaries?  Do you remember all the quotes made by those Presidential hopefuls?

So by comparing to quotes made by these others, you would suggest that it appears to be a lapse of some sort, to have used the particular words that he did?

SLYY

• Getbig IV
So by comparing to quotes made by these others, you would suggest that it appears to be a lapse of some sort, to have used the particular words that he did?

Not at all, I don't think you read my response.  I mention those people to indicate that no one has "forgotten about the existence of...[the] common tactic."

You listen or read the entire speech (or at least paragraph) in order to interpret it.  You do not simply read one or two sentences and interpret them alone to stand for the entire speech.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
Not at all, I don't think you read my response.  I mention those people to indicate that no one has "forgotten about the existence of...[the] common tactic."

You listen or read the entire speech (or at least paragraph) in order to interpret it.  You do not simply read one or two sentences and interpret them alone to stand for the entire speech.

So you would suggest that Obama may have thought that a person who would be exposed to the sentences as a standalone statement, would reliably seek a greater context.

SLYY

• Getbig IV
So you would suggest that Obama may have thought that a person who would be exposed to the sentences as a standalone statement, would reliably seek a greater context.

Jack, do you read one sentence of a speech/essay and determine that...THAT sentence alone IS the speech/essay?  Or do you read the entire speech/essay to understand and comprehend its meaning?

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
So this is what you would suggest his reasoning to be, by using these particular words.

SLYY

• Getbig IV
So this is what you would suggest his reasoning to be, by using these particular words.

What is "this"?

Why am I to determine his reasoning for "using these particular words?"

The point here, is that there are two candidates running for President.  Both agree with the title of this thread.  Thus, this thread is either moot or people should be be complaining about BOTH Romney and Obama's position on the issue.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
What is "this"?

Why am I to determine his reasoning for "using these particular words?"

The point here, is that there are two candidates running for President.  Both agree with the title of this thread.  Thus, this thread is either moot or people should be be complaining about BOTH Romney and Obama's position.

I would hope a person's interest would be piqued.  The answer should be much further-reaching than whether "Criminal 1" or "Criminal 2" will assume the role of winner.