Author Topic: Needle Sandwich?  (Read 881 times)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Needle Sandwich?
« on: July 17, 2012, 01:55:57 PM »
On a Delta flight out of the netherlands some people found needles in a sandwich. Sewing needles.

One guy bit into one, but I found this line to be interesting.

That passenger, James Tonjes, said he thought the object was a toothpick at first.

"When I pulled it out, then I found out it was a needle," he said Tuesday.

Tonjes said he has been placed on medication to prevent HIV.

Since when is there medication to prevent HIV?

Stark

• Getbig V
Re: Needle Sandwich?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 02:59:10 PM »

It works like this.

1) If you never get aids their going to say - it worked
2) If you get aids they say - ah shame if we would have been only a few hours earlier.

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 03:01:40 PM »
On a Delta flight out of the netherlands some people found needles in a sandwich. Sewing needles.

That passenger, James Tonjes, said he thought the object was a toothpick at first.

hiv from sewing needles  ???

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 03:03:04 PM »

Apparently there's medication you can take up to roughly 72 hours after being in a risky situation.

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 03:13:34 PM »
hiv from sewing needles  ???

Sewing is serious business

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 03:18:45 PM »

In the case of HIV infection, post-exposure prophylaxis is a course of antiretroviral drugs which reduces the risk of seroconversion after events with high risk of exposure to HIV (e.g., unprotected anal or vaginal sex, needlestick injuries, or sharing needles).[4] The CDC recommends PEP for any HIV negative person who has recently been exposed to HIV for any reason.[4]

To be most effective, treatment should begin within an hour of infection.[5] After 72 hours post-exposure PEP is much less effective, and may not be effective at all.[4] Prophylactic treatment for HIV typically lasts four weeks.[4][6]

"1"

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 03:22:17 PM »

Oh and I'm not sure if you read up on the news lately, but...

FDA approves Truvada for prevention of HIV/AIDS

Here is the link to the CNN article: http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/16/fda-approves-truvada-for-prevention-of-hivaids/?hpt=he_c2

Here is a little excerpt from that article: Recent studies showed pre-exposure prophylaxis or PrEP can reduce transmission of the virus significantly–up to 96% - when uninfected partners of people infected with HIV took Truvada.

"1"

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 03:22:21 PM »
In the case of HIV infection, post-exposure prophylaxis is a course of antiretroviral drugs which reduces the risk of seroconversion after events with high risk of exposure to HIV (e.g., unprotected anal or vaginal sex, needlestick injuries, or sharing needles).[4] The CDC recommends PEP for any HIV negative person who has recently been exposed to HIV for any reason.[4]

To be most effective, treatment should begin within an hour of infection.[5] After 72 hours post-exposure PEP is much less effective, and may not be effective at all.[4] Prophylactic treatment for HIV typically lasts four weeks.[4][6]

"1"

vaginal sex, even when unprotected, is not high risk at all.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 03:27:16 PM »
vaginal sex, even when unprotected, is not high risk at all.

Depends..

If the woman has HIV and the man does not, unprotected vaginal sex leads to a small chance of infection from HIV towards the man.

If the man has HIV and the woman does not, unprotected vaginal sex leads to a very large chance in transmission towards the woman.

"1"

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 03:30:51 PM »

"1"
Yup. Have a few friends who are prison guards, and this has been the prescribed regimen. I hear horror stories about hospital workers, but seems to be internet stuff.