Author Topic: Obama in 1999: "I did not support Clinton Welfare Reform"  (Read 2202 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Obama in 1999: "I did not support Clinton Welfare Reform"
« on: July 18, 2012, 11:41:33 AM »
Barack Obama at Carleton College on February 5, 1999: “I’m happy to answer about anything. Legal issues, political issues, football.”

AUDIENCE MEMBER: “I was interested in what you said. [Inaudible]”

OBAMA: “Let me take it sort of two fold. The first question which is fairly specific is about welfare reform. As most of you know I think, in 1996 the Republican Congress passed and President Clinton signed a welfare reform bill that essentially ended a 60 year entitlement to welfare. I was a strong proponent of some reform of the welfare system. I would not probably have supported the federal system, the federal bill that was passed.”

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Obama in 1999: "I did not support Clinton Welfare Reform"
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 11:54:23 AM »
this is totally relevant and a good distraction from obama's current ecnomic performance

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 11:57:01 AM »
this is totally relevant and a good distraction from obama's current ecnomic performance

It is considering last week he gutted the welfare reform bill by executive fiat and took out all the work requirements. 

He is a ghetto thug and a welfare parasite.   He exists to take from taxpayers and give to leeches and scum.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 12:05:02 PM »
It is considering last week he gutted the welfare reform bill by executive fiat and took out all the work requirements. 
He is a ghetto thug and a welfare parasite.   He exists to take from taxpayers and give to leeches and scum.   

Do you still feel his supporters are human toilet paper, and you'd like to throw them into a woodchipper?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 12:06:15 PM »
Do you still feel his supporters are human toilet paper, and you'd like to throw them into a woodchipper?

His supporters are a reflection of him, take it for what its worth.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
Barack Obama at Carleton College on February 5, 1999: “I’m happy to answer about anything. Legal issues, political issues, football.”

AUDIENCE MEMBER: “I was interested in what you said. [Inaudible]”

OBAMA: “Let me take it sort of two fold. The first question which is fairly specific is about welfare reform. As most of you know I think, in 1996 the Republican Congress passed and President Clinton signed a welfare reform bill that essentially ended a 60 year entitlement to welfare. I was a strong proponent of some reform of the welfare system. I would not probably have supported the federal system, the federal bill that was passed.”

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

I guess that explains why he is trying to eliminate the work requirement. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 06:55:35 AM »
August 6, 2012 at 1:00 am

Editorial: Obama's power grab flouts Constitution

Blatant disregard of laws passed by Congress violates separation of powers

President Obama has overstepped his power recently. Congress should reassert itself. (Charles Dharapak / Associated Press)

Democrats and Republicans alike should be distressed by President Barack Obama's disregard for constitutional limits on his authority. The president's flouting of the separation of powers risks turning this country into something other than a representative democracy. Congress should move in a bipartisan rebuke of Obama's overreach before he neuters that institution.

In a blatant challenge to the legislative branch, Obama by executive order tossed out the Clinton-era welfare reform that required able-bodied aid recipients to work, saying the federal government will no longer enforce the law.

This follows the president's unilateral rewrite of immigration law, using an executive order to implement elements of the DREAM Act, which Congress refused to adopt. He also has thumbed his nose at the No Child Left Behind Act, and has put in place cap-and-trade carbon rules that were specifically rejected by Congress.

He can't do these things, by any reading of the Constitution. And yet he is. Because Congress, whose powers he is usurping, hasn't risen to stop him.

The Constitution separates powers between the legislative, administrative and judicial branches to more effectively limit government authority, and thus protect individual liberty.

Obama apparently does not recognize those constitutional limits on his power.

He is doing these things under the rallying cry of "We Can't Wait," contending that the gridlock in Congress caused by Republican gamesmanship is impeding his agenda.

But this is how the founders intended government to work. The responsibility is on the president to forge a working relationship with Congress. Obama's inability to do that does not give him the power to act unilaterally, even if it were true that the opposition wants to see him fail.

The imperial presidency Obama is building should worry Democrats as much as it does Republicans. This has never been an "end justifies the means" nation. Even if you agree with the outcomes the president is seeking, his running roughshod over the rule of law should be objectionable, because the powers he is claiming will not be forfeited by the next Republican president.

Democrats and civil libertarians rightly protested when former President George W. Bush used the war on terror to grab authority from Congress and the courts, particularly in regard to wire-tapping and detentions. We shared their concern then, and are even more chagrined now because Obama's power grab comes in the domestic arena, where presidential authority is more tightly constrained than it is in dealing with national security.

The founders were justifiably worried about an aggressive president using the office to claim dictatorial control of the nation. That's why they so carefully limited and separated the powers.

Every president has tried to push those limits, some with a degree of success. But few have so boldly rejected established law and taken it upon themselves to write and enact legislation.

The Constitution doesn't allow Obama to do that. Congress has the responsibility to tell him so.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120806/OPINION01/208060305#ixzz22m3b9Ard

________________________ ________

Being that obama is himself a glorified welfare case and never worked a day in his life but mooch the taxpayer - no wonder he is trying this.   

howardroark

• Getbig IV
  • Resident Objectivist & Autodidact
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 06:57:58 AM »

Gutting welfare reform is part of his economic program you dipshit.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 07:24:24 AM »
Gutting welfare reform is part of his economic program you dipshit.

;D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 03:38:12 AM »
Romney's New Attack Slams Obama For Gutting Welfare Reform And Letting People Get Money For Nothing
Steve Holland, Reuters    | 39 minutes ago | 153 | 1

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney will launch a new attack against President Barack Obama on Tuesday, taking aim at the Democrat's plan to waive parts of a landmark welfare-to-work law.

Romney is targeting Obama's plan to let states seek a waiver from the work requirements of a 1996 welfare law that was a signature bipartisan achievement of former Democratic President Bill Clinton's administration.
Romney's attack, laid out in a new television ad and a topic he will address at a campaign event in the Chicago area, is aimed at bolstering his charge that Obama's solutions to many of America's problems is to rely on government.

"Middle-class Americans are working harder and harder to make ends meet. Under President Obama, they have fewer jobs and less take-home pay. And now, President Obama wants to take their hard-earned tax dollars and give it to welfare recipients without work requirements," said Romney spokeswoman Andrea Saul.
The directive from the Health and Human Services Department allows states to pursue a waiver from the work requirement of the welfare law in order to test alternative strategies that would help needy families find jobs. The aim is to give states some flexibility in how they carry out the welfare law as some state governors have advocated, rather than sticking to a rigid formula.
But the health department's decision has generated strong opposition from Republicans. In the House, 76 Republicans complained in a letter to Health Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, who sought to assure them that states will have to move at least 20 percent more people from welfare to work.
But in a bare-knuckled presidential campaign, such nuances are quickly cast aside, and Romney is going full throttle after Obama on the issue.
"Obama guts welfare reform," says the video script of the Romney ad, while a voice says: "Under Obama's plan, you wouldn't have to work and wouldn't have to train for a job. They just send you your welfare check."

The attack fits in with Romney's strategy to paint Obama as a big-government liberal unable to take the steps he thinks are necessary to tackle the 8.3 percent U.S. jobless rate.

The Republican is also trying to stay on the offensive after the wealthy former private equity executive has labored to defend his decision not to release more of his tax returns.

The welfare attack, to be played out for the rest of the week, comes as the campaign toward the November 6 election intensifies. Romney goes on a four-day bus tour on Saturday that will take him through the battleground states of Virginia, North Carolina, Florida and Ohio.

At the end of the trip, Romney may announce his vice presidential running mate.
(Editing by Lisa Shumaker)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 03:53:54 AM »
Romney launching new attack on Obama over welfare law (Obama to allow welfare for just laziness)
reuters ^ | 8/7/2012 | Steve Holland
Posted on August 7, 2012 6:34:50 AM EDT by tobyhill

U.S. Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney will launch a new attack against President Barack Obama on Tuesday, taking aim at the Democrat's plan to waive parts of a landmark welfare-to-work law.

Romney is targeting Obama's plan to let states seek a waiver from the work requirements of a 1996 welfare law that was a signature bipartisan achievement of former Democratic President Bill Clinton's administration.

Romney's attack, laid out in a new television ad and a topic he will address at a campaign event in the Chicago area, is aimed at bolstering his charge that Obama's solutions to many of America's problems is to rely on government.

"Middle-class Americans are working harder and harder to make ends meet. Under President Obama, they have fewer jobs and less take-home pay. And now, President Obama wants to take their hard-earned tax dollars and give it to welfare recipients without work requirements," said Romney spokeswoman Andrea Saul.

The directive from the Health and Human Services Department allows states to pursue a waiver from the work requirement of the welfare law in order to test alternative strategies that would help needy families find jobs. The aim is to give states some flexibility in how they carry out the welfare law as some state governors have advocated, rather than sticking to a rigid formula.

But the health department's decision has generated strong opposition from Republicans. In the House, 76 Republicans complained in a letter to Health Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, who sought to assure them that states will have to move at least 20 percent more people from welfare to work.

(Excerpt) Read more at in.reuters.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 02:34:32 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 12:05:54 AM »
His supporters are a reflection of him, take it for what its worth.   

they are wealthy and achieve their goals?