Author Topic: Sexiest Man In Baseball  (Read 17863 times)

Flex 215

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Sexiest Man In Baseball
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2012, 01:52:20 PM »
        Mantle was highly recruited to play RB at Oklahoma because of his speed, and this was at a time when Oklahoma was the best program in the nation.  In his first World Series, a fly ball that Dimaggio should have called for, forced Mantle to go for it.  He was unfamiliar with Yankee stadium, and tripped on a drain pipe and tore his knee.  Sportswriters say he was never the some after that, still fast but not world class like before.

Dimaggio was supposedly jealous of all the attention the rookie was getting, being touted as the next great Yankee, and puposely didn't call Mantle off the play.  But Dimaggio was blazing fast himself in his day, and might have been the best centerfielder ever.  Only playing 13 years because of WW2 and retiring early, one could make a case for Joe D or Wille Mays being the best ever all around player.  Career totals pale of Dimaggio pale in comparison to Mays, but per year numbers are very close in HR and RBI, with Joe way ahead in AVG and Mays having many more steals.  Dimaggio played in the Murder's Row era of the Yankees when they didn't run.

flipper5470

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2012, 02:25:15 PM »
That little guy, I forget what team he's on (Maurice Jones-Drew) has some gigantor legs.

Robert Newhouse of the Cowboys had some big legs too...

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2012, 02:41:45 PM »
The black man is the best at baseball.  Steriod era or not.  Willie Mays, Hank Aaron or Barry Bonds...Stats show this whitey.
Carry on.

Oh and BTW...Bo Jackson is the best athlete ever...

not true.....Mickey had the most raw talent of any player to play the game. He could hit a ball further, and out run mays. Even though Mays may have had better numbers......but hell  What do I know, I talked to a guy who played with him ;D
l

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2012, 02:44:11 PM »
Kirk Gibson was insanely fast when he first came up with Detroit...Gil Brandt alleges to have hand timed him in the 3.9's for the 40 when Gibson was an All American in football at Michigan State.

oh dude cmon. Hand time means fuck all, Levrone was said to have been "timed" running a 4.1 forty and REALLY thought he was the fastest man in the world. Kirk was fast....but not that fast. Mantle was the fastest/strongest white man to ever play the game IMO... could hit a ball 600 feet.... He wasn't that tall either only around 5'10. I believe he definitely used synthetic test though, was alot more muscular than the guys of his time.
l

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2012, 03:11:12 PM »
What gets me is why do some of these guys use in the first place?  I can see a guy like Canseco using.  He even admitted that he would have been average at best without roids.  What about a guy like Mcgwire?  The guy hit what, 47, 49? homeruns as a rookie?  He was a fucking beanpole then.  Obviously, he was a natural homerun hitter.  Why bother with roids then?

flipper5470

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2012, 03:46:19 PM »
oh dude cmon. Hand time means fuck all, Levrone was said to have been "timed" running a 4.1 forty and REALLY thought he was the fastest man in the world. Kirk was fast....but not that fast. Mantle was the fastest/strongest white man to ever play the game IMO... could hit a ball 600 feet.... He wasn't that tall either only around 5'10. I believe he definitely used synthetic test though, was alot more muscular than the guys of his time.

If you're gonna compare Gil Brandt to whatever mook hangs out with Levrone....well..you better stay out of Texas.  That said...I understand that hand timed 40's aren't relaible.  But damn...Gibby was on fast white boiy.  Once saw him score from first on a hit and run single

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2012, 03:48:46 PM »
What gets me is why do some of these guys use in the first place?  I can see a guy like Canseco using.  He even admitted that he would have been average at best without roids.  What about a guy like Mcgwire?  The guy hit what, 47, 49? homeruns as a rookie?  He was a fucking beanpole then.  Obviously, he was a natural homerun hitter.  Why bother with roids then?
what looks more imposing hitting 49 as a beanpole or 65 250 lbs plus with the nation daily watching it unfold every night.take bbing size and looks out of the equation,,sosa and mac were' using' and on t.v every night for good run there going toe to toe the majority of the nation thought they looked like cartooned muscle,behemoths,larger than life,brought steroids to the spotlight moreso ,,even bbing mag's used the whole story as 'see not only bbers use roids,,media ate it up.canseco brought light to the epidemic and how everyones #'s moved up from mediocre to star players.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2012, 03:51:41 PM »
what looks more imposing hitting 49 as a beanpole or 65 250 lbs plus with the nation daily watching it unfold every night.take bbing size and looks out of the equation,,sosa and mac were' using' and on t.v every night for good run there going toe to toe the majority of the nation thought they looked like cartooned muscle,behemoths,larger than life,brought steroids to the spotlight moreso ,,even bbing mag's used the whole story as 'see not only bbers use roids,,media ate it up.canseco brought light to the epidemic and how everyones #'s moved up from mediocre to star players.
True, but guys like Bonds and Mcgwire would be in the Hall Of Fame without the roids.  Now, they may never get in.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2012, 04:54:12 PM »
I believe he definitely used synthetic test though, was alot more muscular than the guys of his time.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2012, 04:55:39 PM »
True, but guys like Bonds and Mcgwire would be in the Hall Of Fame without the roids.  Now, they may never get in.
true,,,the thing with mac is he was getting injured goes to cards and starts homering at crazy pace again actually he had decent yr before going to cards anyway his #s other than homers are so/so kind of a better dave kingman low lifetime batting avg,,hits if he had 1500 or so 500 and whatever were homers ,,his rbi totals were ok considering he did play long not great resume,,bonds was great then awesome and had hof written for yrs before he touched needle.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2012, 05:25:03 PM »
Yes McGwire was like a jacked up version of Rob Deer.

Rob Deer had like a .220 career batting average, he hit under .200 for a full season a couple times I think, but he was still a valuable player because he hit 20-30 home runs so it was dangerous to pitch to him with men on base, and he was a patient hitter and drew a lot of walks (i.e. high on-base % despite a shit batting average).

edit: vvv Yeah I think you have Dimaggio confused with Lou Gehrig, Flex.  Joe D played until he was like 37 I think and he wasn't on the "Murderer's Row" Yankees, that was like 20 or 30 years before his time.

Gehrig wasn't really young either when he retired (36 is what baseball-reference.com tells me).  That was pretty normal for players in that time.  It's only recently that guys have been productive into their late 30s.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2012, 05:26:13 PM »
        Mantle was highly recruited to play RB at Oklahoma because of his speed, and this was at a time when Oklahoma was the best program in the nation.  In his first World Series, a fly ball that Dimaggio should have called for, forced Mantle to go for it.  He was unfamiliar with Yankee stadium, and tripped on a drain pipe and tore his knee.  Sportswriters say he was never the some after that, still fast but not world class like before.

Dimaggio was supposedly jealous of all the attention the rookie was getting, being touted as the next great Yankee, and puposely didn't call Mantle off the play.  But Dimaggio was blazing fast himself in his day, and might have been the best centerfielder ever.  Only playing 13 years because of WW2 and retiring early, one could make a case for Joe D or Wille Mays being the best ever all around player.  Career totals pale of Dimaggio pale in comparison to Mays, but per year numbers are very close in HR and RBI, with Joe way ahead in AVG and Mays having many more steals.  Dimaggio played in the Murder's Row era of the Yankees when they didn't run.

No, that was the Ruth, Gehrig-era Yankees. Dimaggio came later.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2012, 05:28:13 PM »
Yes McGwire was like a jacked up version of Rob Deer.

Rob Deer had like a .220 career batting average, he hit under .200 for a full season a couple times I think, but he was still a valuable player because he hit 20-30 home runs so it was dangerous to pitch to him with men on base, and he was a patient hitter and drew a lot of walks (i.e. high on-base % despite a shit batting average).
Wow, you just shit on Mcgwire.  Mark was a legit 35-40 Hr and 100 RBI guy before steroids.  He never hit for average.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2012, 05:31:41 PM »
Wow, you just shit on Mcgwire.  Mark was a legit 35-40 Hr and 100 RBI guy before steroids.  He never hit for average.

??? That's exactly what I said, hence the comparison to Rob Deer (he was the same kind of hitter, just not as good as McGwire).  

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2012, 06:05:37 PM »
Wow, you just shit on Mcgwire.  Mark was a legit 35-40 Hr and 100 RBI guy before steroids.  He never hit for average.
how many times did he touch 100 rbi's ,,,he hit mostly solo shots,,,,if he hit 100 rbis 3 times that would be a lot.i don't have his career #s post them lets see i could be wrong .he was decent 1st basemen great power hitter but evrything else so/so...i love baseball btw and can talk stats forever...

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2012, 06:14:12 PM »
how many times did he touch 100 rbi's ,,,he hit mostly solo shots,,,,if he hit 100 rbis 3 times that would be a lot.i don't have his career #s post them lets see i could be wrong .he was decent 1st basemen great power hitter but evrything else so/so...i love baseball btw and can talk stats forever...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mcgwima01.shtml

Seven times in 13 full seasons (one year with 99).  I'm not counting his rookie year (18 games) or two years where he played a total of 74 games.

He averaged 122 per 162 games but he missed so many games with injuries.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2012, 06:21:53 PM »
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mcgwima01.shtml

Seven times in 15 full seasons (one year with 99).

He averaged 122 per 162 games but he missed so many games with injuries.
thankyou he did better than i thought ribbie wise those 60 plus hmr seasons were mvp type minus avg,,hits and overall batting avg will hold him back..i said 1500 it was 1683 i was close.he was very good player who was really good in presteroid era and peaked and wasolder smack in the middle of the drug yrs so its tough  to call...if your going to compare him to a high strikeout,rbi,homer so/so batting avg player then reggie jackson is his model but reggie had more hits and hit in clutch big time..

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2012, 06:25:14 PM »
Yeah RBIs are a pretty bad stat though for assessing an individual.  They depend so much on how good the rest of your team is at getting on base.  Sort of like the Mantle/Mays thing I was talking about earlier today.  Mays getting 100 RBIs with the Giants is harder than Mantle doing to same thing with the Yankees, he just didn't have as many plate appearances with guys on base.

Batting average with runners in scoring positions:

Mays .312
Mantle .284

flipper5470

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2012, 07:36:46 PM »
Thought I'd mention that Justin Verlander completely sawed Gordon Beckham's bat with a 100 MPH fastball on his 114th pitch tonight.  Verlander is simply awesome...and rumor has it that he squeezing Kate Upton.  If true...he's a God.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2012, 08:15:36 PM »
Where do y'all rank Ty Cobb or just general thoughts? That guy was amazing. I've generally seen him listed #2 behind Ruth or sometimes #3

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2012, 08:22:50 PM »
His stats are nuts (by far the highest batting average; I probably couldn't hit .367 off of a tee).  It was a different game back then though, pitching was nowhere near what it is today, everyone played small ball, parks were different, equipment was different.  

It's impossible to compare them on a level field but I'd rank both Williams along with Ruth in front of him, maybe Bonds too.

He once jumped into the stands and beat up a handicapped man who was heckling him which is something most Getbiggers can get behind.

Check out this dude: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Bradman

His batting average (in cricket it's runs per out) is over four standard deviations above the mean for other professionals.  His average is twice as high as most other hall-of-famers.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2012, 10:00:14 PM »
I wasnt aware Williams could play TWO sports professionally. There's a reason Jacksonis romanticized, he was that good

Not only that, but when Bo Jackson struck out, he broke a baseball bat over his knee. Try doing that sometime.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2012, 10:04:17 PM »

He might have looked like a bean pole at the time but he really wasn't. Still a big guy. And probably used in high school and college. Steroids believe it or not were pretty well known in high school and esp/college in the early 80's. The steroid era really didn't start in the 90's. MLB just wants people to believe it did. Pete Rose talked openingly about how he didn't use steroids. Now he played in the 70's. Which means he knew of guys using even back then.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2012, 10:09:31 PM »
The Reds minor league team has a guy by the name of Billy Hamilton has 109 stolen bases in only 89 games this year. He's a skinny dude who can fly.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2012, 10:12:16 PM »
The A's signed some pro sprinter in the '70s to be a full-time designated runner (he never played in the field).  I don't think he did very well, even stealing bases.