Author Topic: Squat Arnold style....  (Read 14596 times)

Danjo

• Getbig IV
  • If you're coming on...then come on!
Re: Squat Arnold style....
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2012, 11:20:38 AM »
Who is that spotter ?
I believe it is Leo Costa...Platz and he did the ''Big Beyond Belief'' stuff in the 90s..I had one of their books.
H

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2012, 11:28:12 AM »
Although any type of squatting action will develop leg musculature, if you wanna have healthy knees (and back) for any length of time, do NOT squat like Arnold. Guy absolutely sucked ass at the movement.

What's wrong with the way he's squatting, as pictured in this thread?  Or are you making this statement based on other evidence?

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2012, 11:33:37 AM »
What's wrong with the way he's squatting, as pictured in this thread?  Or are you making this statement based on other evidence?

I have never seen a photo of Arnie squatting where his form was decent. Either his knees are caving, his push is through his toes/front of his foot, his knees are way too far out in front, his back is fucked, his depth is shite, etc. ... It's painful to look at.

Like I say, he developed wheels to an acceptable degree (for the time) because he did squats and leg work, had good genetics and swallowed handfuls of pills like they were going out of style, but his squatting prowess was nowhere to be found.   

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2012, 11:44:06 AM »
did they push HIT style training in those 3 books?
each guy talked about how they trained mike mentzer talked hit of course all others their system of training. how factual they were who knows? the pics and content was from a series of seminars at the olympus gyms in warrington pa.
F

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2012, 12:04:18 PM »
I believe it is Leo Costa...Platz and he did the ''Big Beyond Belief'' stuff in the 90s..I had one of their books.

I believe that's Kazmaier actually.

Who knows if those plates were even real. Do you trust McMahon?  :D

Danjo

• Getbig IV
  • If you're coming on...then come on!
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2012, 12:08:03 PM »
I believe that's Kazmaier actually.

Who knows if those plates were even real. Do you trust McMahon?  :D
I believe you are right about the 2nd pic, it is Kaz..1st pic is Costa..and I definitely don't trust Mcmahon.  ;)
H

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2012, 12:08:35 PM »
..1st pic is Costa..

Ahh... I'm sure you're right.

I have never seen a photo of Arnie squatting where his form was decent. Either his knees are caving, his push is through his toes/front of his foot, his knees are way too far out in front, his back is fucked, his depth is shite, etc. ... It's painful to look at.

Like I say, he developed wheels to an acceptable degree (for the time) because he did squats and leg work, had good genetics and swallowed handfuls of pills like they were going out of style, but his squatting prowess was nowhere to be found.  

The 45 degree leg press might have helped Arnold's quads, but was it even around back then?

I agree, squats probably did little for his quads as his structure just wasn't suited for squatting.

Monster quads.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2012, 05:30:06 PM »
Arnold's form and tempo was so shitty, no wonder he had to do so much volume. But hey, kick ass build no matter what anyone says!
?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2012, 05:34:16 PM »
I believe the squat Arnie is doing in the first pic,(close stance,feet forward) is supposed to target the teardrop more.

I could give two fucks but that`s my opinion.  :D

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2012, 06:06:15 PM »
Look how deep he is, yet he is barely breaking parallel. Just goes to show how deep a parallel squat can really be.

willie mosconi

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2012, 11:17:34 PM »
This man knows how to squat!

I overheard some guys at the gym saying that Platz has become quite thin now. Any confirmation?

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2012, 12:30:38 AM »
I overheard some guys at the gym saying that Platz has become quite thin now. Any confirmation?

Uh, yeah, since post-O-'86, except for that brief "comeback" (that only resulted in some photos, and he still he wasn't near as big as when he competed).

Guy doesn't look like he's ever lifted a weight in his life. 

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2012, 12:33:42 AM »
Uh, yeah, since post-O-'86, except for that brief "comeback" (that only resulted in some photos, and he still he wasn't near as big as when he competed).

Guy doesn't look like he's ever lifted a weight in his life. 

pictures?

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2012, 01:42:32 AM »
Look how deep he is, yet he is barely breaking parallel. Just goes to show how deep a parallel squat can really be.

This squat is textbook. And most of the time what people feel or think is parallel is inches ABOVE true parallel. Full ROM for the win!

balzac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2012, 01:45:53 AM »

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2012, 03:35:36 AM »
This squat is textbook. And most of the time what people feel or think is parallel is inches ABOVE true parallel. Full ROM for the win!

I wouldn't call that textbook. Look at how hunched his back is. That first picture of Platz, THAT shows textbook form

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2012, 08:35:05 AM »
I wouldn't call that textbook. Look at how hunched his back is. That first picture of Platz, THAT shows textbook form
I agree the Platz photo is great form as well. I think you are referring to the way Arnolds neck is in slight flexion? Sure maybe he could bring it back into extension a few more degrees, Arnold is lower though.... Still pretty damn good form, I wouldn't change a thing if one of my clients squatted exactly like that.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2012, 08:51:00 AM »

I think Platz's body proportions allow him to squat with his back so straight.
Probably harder for someone Arnold's height with longer legs.

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2012, 09:56:26 AM »
I can't squat to save my life, legs are just too damn long.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2012, 10:11:46 AM »
I can't squat to save my life, legs are just too damn long.
How tall? My 6'3 training partner does this full ROM squats like a champ once he quit whining and making excuses. His quads blew up. Lighter weight and perfect form broseph

breakmore

• Getbig III
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2012, 10:33:46 AM »
I would say a couple of years back he still had decent legs.  :P

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2012, 10:39:04 AM »
How tall? My 6'3 training partner does this full ROM squats like a champ once he quit whining and making excuses. His quads blew up. Lighter weight and perfect form broseph

6 foot. Doesn't matter what variable I change, the mechanics are just not right. I just pre-exhaust quads with leg extensions>leg press with my feet high and relatively wide. That suits me best.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2012, 10:58:15 AM »
6 foot. Doesn't matter what variable I change, the mechanics are just not right. I just pre-exhaust quads with leg extensions>leg press with my feet high and relatively wide. That suits me best.

Have you tried a power-lifting stance for squats?

I didn't have the flexibility for the bodybuilding style squats and this solved the problem. It also gave me more flexibility so can now also squat at a narrower stance.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2012, 11:30:38 AM »
Have you tried a power-lifting stance for squats?

I didn't have the flexibility for the bodybuilding style squats and this solved the problem. It also gave me more flexibility so can now also squat at a narrower stance.
Good point...I think flexibility is huge. My friend I mentioned above used to come down and sit on the bottom of the rep, and for him that was exactly at parallel. A few months into it and he gained a solid 6" or so of ROM

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2012, 04:38:58 PM »

No shit. Look at how hunched his back is and how high the bar is on his NECK. Terrific.  ::)