Author Topic: Squat Arnold style....  (Read 14630 times)

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
Re: Squat Arnold style....
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2012, 04:39:48 PM »
A whole six feet tall, what a beast.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2012, 04:39:51 PM »
I agree the Platz photo is great form as well. I think you are referring to the way Arnolds neck is in slight flexion? Sure maybe he could bring it back into extension a few more degrees, Arnold is lower though.... Still pretty damn good form, I wouldn't change a thing if one of my clients squatted exactly like that.

That's great.  ::)

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2012, 04:40:34 PM »
I would say a couple of years back he still had decent legs.  :P

I arranged this photo shoot.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2012, 06:03:29 PM »
I arranged this photo shoot.

did you choose that outfit too? Or was that just everyday wear for Platz at the time?

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2012, 06:40:52 PM »
did you choose that outfit too? Or was that just everyday wear for Platz at the time?

Ha, ha

We came up with the whole Quadfather tag and wanted to keep with the theme, so ... yeah.

I think his decision to get back into some sort of shape was his last hooray. Everyone was speculating that he was gonna jump back on stage, but I was speaking with him a lot at the time and could tell there was no way. Good call, too. He was still way off his mark, size-wise, and would have been eaten alive by the top pros of the mid-'90s. Still, he looked good and had fun with it.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2012, 09:20:45 PM »

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2012, 11:53:10 PM »
No shit. Look at how hunched his back is and how high the bar is on his NECK. Terrific.  ::)

how can you tell his back is "hunched"?  i've seen plenty of o-lifters squat whose backs look just like this...

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2012, 07:39:49 AM »
how can you tell his back is "hunched"?  i've seen plenty of o-lifters squat whose backs look just like this...
Yeah I agree...there are structural variances regarding spinal lordosis/kyphosis. Everyone is put together differently, that's why biomechanics are unique to each individual.

Note: I made up all of the above mentioned words to appear "smart", I do not know the meaning of them.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2012, 11:26:50 AM »
Who are you?

I know who I am. Do you know who you are?

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2012, 11:28:01 AM »

Look at the picture. And some competitive lifters use less-than-optimal technique. So what.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2012, 01:31:26 PM »
I know who I am. Do you know who you are?
If this is your way of flirting with me, it's working

Danjo

• Getbig IV
  • If you're coming on...then come on!
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2012, 01:32:07 PM »
If this is your way of flirting with me, it's working
LOL!
H

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2012, 02:02:02 PM »
Look at the picture. And some competitive lifters use less-than-optimal technique. So what.

i dunno man, i've watched countless videos of competitive lifters, and i do mean countless, scrutinizing their spines.  this is an issue of great concern for me, given my own difficulties with the squat.

one conclusion i've come to is it can be damn hard to tell how someone's spine is really oriented.  in that picture, his knees are buckling in, but that's the only thing i could confidently say is wrong.  and even then, many o-lifters knees come in at the bottom of a squat when the weight gets heavy.

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2012, 03:02:33 PM »
No shit. Look at how hunched his back is and how high the bar is on his NECK. Terrific.  ::)

I used to squat with the bar low, break from the hips.  I remember this guy who competed  coming up to me and telling me he wished he could squat as much as me, I could easily out squat him by over a hundred lbs but his legs made mine look like sticks. I looked at the differnt styles and most guys with great legs will squat with the bar high and let their knees travel out to just past their toes.  So I have been doing it like this for a number of years and the difference is like night and day.  True you cannot handle as much weight this way but the quads are doing more work. And believe it or not the knees take less punishment and it is easier on the hips. Not trying to cause shit, just telling what I have experienced. I have been lifting a long long time.  Don't ask me how long. I don't want to dethrone Wes. ;D

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2012, 05:31:09 PM »
I used to squat with the bar low, break from the hips.  I remember this guy who competed  coming up to me and telling me he wished he could squat as much as me, I could easily out squat him by over a hundred lbs but his legs made mine look like sticks. I looked at the differnt styles and most guys with great legs will squat with the bar high and let their knees travel out to just past their toes.  So I have been doing it like this for a number of years and the difference is like night and day.  True you cannot handle as much weight this way but the quads are doing more work. And believe it or not the knees take less punishment and it is easier on the hips. Not trying to cause shit, just telling what I have experienced. I have been lifting a long long time.  Don't ask me how long. I don't want to dethrone Wes. ;D

true story, my legs were bigger before I discovered powerlifting and added 200lbs to my squat from using the posterior chain more.

Look at Layne Norton's toothpick legs from doing all-back squats