Author Topic: Ichiro! to the Yankees.  (Read 3491 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Ichiro! to the Yankees.
« on: July 23, 2012, 07:09:43 PM »
sweet.   ;D

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: Ichiro to the Yankees.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 07:59:01 PM »
sweet.   ;D

He just had his first AB.  Bowed to the crowd, then singled and stole second.   Very cool moment.
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 08:00:15 PM »
He just had his first AB.  Bowed to the crowd, then singled and stole second.   Very cool moment.

I'm liking this.  ichiro is a great pickup.    He is pure class.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 05:37:18 AM »
Good move :)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 05:40:36 AM »
I like it for the defensive aspect.  Brett Garnder may have been the best defensive LF in the game, and Ichiro! is fine replacement.

Now, if he can replicate Gardner's OBP......
Y

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 02:07:35 PM »
Lol, the evil empire will never cease to amaze me.  Why don't you guys just get every single all-star? 

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 06:31:04 PM »
Lol, the evil empire will never cease to amaze me.  Why don't you guys just get every single all-star?  

Ichiro might be the worst hitting OF in baseball right now.   Yankees are banking on his low BABIP and high LD% to correct itself, like it did when they got Swisher.  There's no guarantees with this one.

Your team has a financial advantage over every other team in baseball except one.  The trouble is, they haven't spent very well in recent years.  Money can hide a lot of mistakes, but there's a limit, you still have to spend it right.
Y

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 10:35:40 AM »
I like it for the defensive aspect.  Brett Garnder may have been the best defensive LF in the game, and Ichiro! is fine replacement.

Now, if he can replicate Gardner's OBP......

Yep.

And if he plays his final years in the bronx, you know this ownship will milk that for everything its worth.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 02:34:51 PM »
Yep.

And if he plays his final years in the bronx, you know this ownship will milk that for everything its worth.
Yeah they want to make the extra money if he gets 3,000 hits.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 06:38:02 PM »
Yeah they want to make the extra money if he gets 3,000 hits.

They would, too.  But they'd have to sign him for 2 years minimum, and that's not going to happen.
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 06:52:38 PM »
They would, too.  But they'd have to sign him for 2 years minimum, and that's not going to happen.

Disagree.   ichiro is mega $$$$ for TJE yanks. 

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 07:37:50 PM »
Disagree.   ichiro is mega $$$$ for TJE yanks. 

The Yankees aren't going to sign a 39 year old outfielder to a multi year deal, on the off chance he can get a hit total he hasn't sniffed in 3 years, and has been the worst hitting OF in the game this year.   Especially when they have a 29 year old speed demon who's the best defensive LF in the game, and gets on base at an almost .400 clip.

The Yankees make their money when they get to the post season.  They days of dropping extra $$ on over the hill players ended when Cashman demanded total control in 2006.
Y

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 11:24:26 AM »
The Yankees aren't going to sign a 39 year old outfielder to a multi year deal, on the off chance he can get a hit total he hasn't sniffed in 3 years, and has been the worst hitting OF in the game this year.   Especially when they have a 29 year old speed demon who's the best defensive LF in the game, and gets on base at an almost .400 clip.

The Yankees make their money when they get to the post season.  They days of dropping extra $$ on over the hill players ended when Cashman demanded total control in 2006.
i like this,,,,but what about swish,,good power ,so-so outfielder horrible in playoffs and wants $$$$$ his last shot...

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 11:41:05 AM »
i like this,,,,but what about swish,,good power ,so-so outfielder horrible in playoffs and wants $$$$$ his last shot...

Swish is the candidate most likely to leave, for  the reasons you've pointed out, most important being the money.  I wouldn't put too much stock in the playoff part, since all ballplayers can get cold at the wrong moment.  He's played every day in NY and thrived there, so there's no pressure problems, which is generally true for most ballplayers at that level.

Yanks are supposedly on a mission to get to 189M by 2014, so I can't see them resigning Granderson and Cano (must signs), AND Swisher too.   But, with NY, you never know.
Y

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 11:43:42 AM »
Swish is the candidate most likely to leave, for  the reasons you've pointed out, most important being the money.  I wouldn't put too much stock in the playoff part, since all ballplayers can get cold at the wrong moment.  He's played every day in NY and thrived there, so there's no pressure problems, which is generally true for most ballplayers at that level.

Yanks are supposedly on a mission to get to 189M by 2014, so I can't see them resigning Granderson and Cano (must signs), AND Swisher too.   But, with NY, you never know.
JOSH HAMILTON IS LURKING,,,,OR UPTON CHEAPER,

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 11:53:31 AM »
JOSH HAMILTON IS LURKING,,,,OR UPTON CHEAPER,

True, but they will cost a bazillion dollars.
Y

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
Re: Ichiro! to the Yankees.
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 03:14:36 PM »
Most real Yankee fans know that most of the Yankees great players from the 90's were home grown.  Jeter, Rivera, Bernie Williams, Posada etc.....  The farm system will always be the best way to get talent.  Do you still think Arod's contract is a good one? LOL.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 03:40:54 PM »
Most real Yankee fans know that most of the Yankees great players from the 90's were home grown.  Jeter, Rivera, Bernie Williams, Posada etc.....  The farm system will always be the best way to get talent.  Do you still think Arod's contract is a good one? LOL.

Guess you missed this in the other thread:

We knew that contract was going to suck.  Blame Levine and Co.

Actually the Yankee roster throughout the 2000s was generally 40% + home grown too.

It's a nice story to have home grown talent, and it really helps with payroll flexibility.   But it's hard to acquire elite level draft picks when you constantly finish first and have low order draft picks.  Plus, the financial leverage plays in again since the teams with the money can afford to sign all their picks.

But it's hardly a necessity - your 2004 Red Sox had only one home grown player on their entire 25 man roster - Trot Nixon.

Y

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 03:43:11 PM »
Guess you missed this in the other thread:

Actually the Yankee roster throughout the 2000s was generally 40% + home grown too.

It's a nice story to have home grown talent, and it really helps with payroll flexibility.   But it's hard to acquire elite level draft picks when you constantly finish first and have low order draft picks.  Plus, the financial leverage plays in again since the teams with the money can afford to sign all their picks.

But it's hardly a necessity - your 2004 Red Sox had only one home grown player on their entire 25 man roster - Trot Nixon.

Lol. Actually I am an A's fan. Moneyball baby!!!!!

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 06:46:10 PM »
Lol. Actually I am an A's fan. Moneyball baby!!!!!

Really?  Seriously, that's pretty cool.  But I'm pretty sure your pic had a Boston hat in it.
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 06:46:59 PM »
I hate days off! 

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 06:57:06 PM »
I don't mind at this time of year.

No Swisher or Arod (obviously) tomorrow.
Y

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 01:32:11 AM »
Really?  Seriously, that's pretty cool.  But I'm pretty sure your pic had a Boston hat in it.
It was a throwback Patriots hat.  Die-hard Pats fan.  The A's were a juggernaut in the late 80's and early 90's when I started watching baseball.  It has been sad to see the steady decline into small market status.  They are a usually competetive though.  Giambi was safe by the way  8)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 03:52:18 AM »
It was a throwback Patriots hat.  Die-hard Pats fan.  The A's were a juggernaut in the late 80's and early 90's when I started watching baseball.  It has been sad to see the steady decline into small market status.  They are a usually competetive though.  Giambi was safe by the way  8)

That's right, my bad.  Damn, I thought I had a sox fan to argue with.... ;D     We need body88 to return, he was awesome.

Your A's are a really good right now.  Wonder if they'll actually do something in the next few days.
Y

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 08:37:17 AM »
That's right, my bad.  Damn, I thought I had a sox fan to argue with.... ;D     We need body88 to return, he was awesome.

Your A's are a really good right now.  Wonder if they'll actually do something in the next few days.
BODY88 HATED ME WITH YANKEE-REDSOX DEBATES