Author Topic: 5½ years for Oregan woman who got $2.1M Tax refund  (Read 8552 times)

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
Re: 5½ years for Oregan woman who got $2.1M Tax refund
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 07:22:54 PM »
WYHI?

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2012, 10:56:11 PM »
before twice reporting the card lost or stolen. At that point the ruse was discovered

what's truely mindblowing is this repulsive gordita could have got away with the money if she wasn't so fat and stupid.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 10:56:56 PM »
Refund of peace  ::)
;D LOL. Excellent.
a

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: 5½ years for Oregon woman who got $2.1M Tax refund
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2012, 11:08:50 PM »

SALEM, Ore. (AP) — A 25-year-old woman who duped the state of Oregon into giving her a $2.1 million tax refund pleaded guilty Tuesday and was sentenced to 5 1/2 years in prison.

Krystle Marie Reyes, of Salem, entered guilty pleas to one felony count of tax evasion and three counts of felony fraud. She had faced eight felony charges.

Reyes' court-appointed lawyer, Gale Rieder, said her client faced "overwhelming" evidence, The Oregonian reported .
Rieder said her client "wanted to take responsibility for what she'd done."
"She's remorseful and saddened by the impact on her family," the lawyer said. "She has no criminal history."
The woman received the refund on a debit card and spent about $150,000 before twice reporting the card lost or stolen. At that point the ruse was discovered. The state has recovered about $1.9 million of the money.
An Oregon Department of Revenue spokesman said Tuesday that the findings of an internal agency audit would be released Wednesday.
Reyes filed an electronic tax return in late January via Turbo Tax, erroneously reporting earnings of more than $3 million, authorities have said. Her request for a $2.1 million refund was initially red-flagged by an automated system.
The Oregonian quoted from a 24-page search warrant affidavit regarding what happened next.
The return was set aside for review by processing staff and managers for potential fraud. But "some time later," the affidavit said, a Revenue employee overrode the flagged payment and the refund was issued.
By policy, three agency employees are required to verify the override, the newspaper said. However, according to the affidavit, no one responsible for reviewing the return opened the file to look at it or looked at the W-2 form Reyes filed.
Reyes previously worked at retirement facilities or senior care homes and reported income of less than $15,000 per year in 2009 and 2010, records show.
Before her June 6 arrest, Reyes' spending spree included about $1,800 in cash to buy a 1999 Dodge Caravan and spending $851 on tires and wheels.
The affidavit says other purchases included a queen-sized air mattress, a deep fryer, an air conditioner and a cream and gray floral rug. She bought a sofa and recliner with brown leather trim.
Andrew Campbell, a senior assistant state attorney general who filed the charges against Reyes, declined to comment on Tuesday's plea deal.

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 06:43:04 AM »
fucking peanuts when compared to the fraud and tax avoidance the uber rich are guilty of. not only guilty, but often aided and abetted by the very cunts who'll be down on you like a ton of fucking bricks if tou ever decide to get fanciful with the old tax returns.   

£13tn hoard hidden from taxman by global elite

• Study estimates staggering size of offshore economy
• Private banks help wealthiest to move cash into havens

The Cayman Islands: a favourite haven from the taxman for the global elite. Photograph: David Doubilet/National Geographic/Getty Images

A global super-rich elite has exploited gaps in cross-border tax rules to hide an extraordinary £13 trillion ($21tn) of wealth offshore – as much as the American and Japanese GDPs put together – according to research commissioned by the campaign group Tax Justice Network.

James Henry, former chief economist at consultancy McKinsey and an expert on tax havens, has compiled the most detailed estimates yet of the size of the offshore economy in a new report, The Price of Offshore Revisited, released exclusively to the Observer.

He shows that at least £13tn – perhaps up to £20tn – has leaked out of scores of countries into secretive jurisdictions such as Switzerland and the Cayman Islands with the help of private banks, which vie to attract the assets of so-called high net-worth individuals. Their wealth is, as Henry puts it, "protected by a highly paid, industrious bevy of professional enablers in the private banking, legal, accounting and investment industries taking advantage of the increasingly borderless, frictionless global economy". According to Henry's research, the top 10 private banks, which include UBS and Credit Suisse in Switzerland, as well as the US investment bank Goldman Sachs, managed more than £4tn in 2010, a sharp rise from £1.5tn five years earlier.

The detailed analysis in the report, compiled using data from a range of sources, including the Bank of International Settlements and the International Monetary Fund, suggests that for many developing countries the cumulative value of the capital that has flowed out of their economies since the 1970s would be more than enough to pay off their debts to the rest of the world.

Oil-rich states with an internationally mobile elite have been especially prone to watching their wealth disappear into offshore bank accounts instead of being invested at home, the research suggests. Once the returns on investing the hidden assets is included, almost £500bn has left Russia since the early 1990s when its economy was opened up. Saudi Arabia has seen £197bn flood out since the mid-1970s, and Nigeria £196bn.

"The problem here is that the assets of these countries are held by a small number of wealthy individuals while the debts are shouldered by the ordinary people of these countries through their governments," the report says.

The sheer size of the cash pile sitting out of reach of tax authorities is so great that it suggests standard measures of inequality radically underestimate the true gap between rich and poor. According to Henry's calculations, £6.3tn of assets is owned by only 92,000 people, or 0.001% of the world's population – a tiny class of the mega-rich who have more in common with each other than those at the bottom of the income scale in their own societies.

"These estimates reveal a staggering failure: inequality is much, much worse than official statistics show, but politicians are still relying on trickle-down to transfer wealth to poorer people," said John Christensen of the Tax Justice Network. "People on the street have no illusions about how unfair the situation has become."

TUC general secretary Brendan Barber said: "Countries around the world are under intense pressure to reduce their deficits and governments cannot afford to let so much wealth slip past into tax havens.

"Closing down the tax loopholes exploited by multinationals and the super-rich to avoid paying their fair share will reduce the deficit. This way the government can focus on stimulating the economy, rather than squeezing the life out of it with cuts and tax rises for the 99% of people who aren't rich enough to avoid paying their taxes."

Assuming the £13tn mountain of assets earned an average 3% a year for its owners, and governments were able to tax that income at 30%, it would generate a bumper £121bn in revenues – more than rich countries spend on aid to the developing world each year.

Groups such as UK Uncut have focused attention on the paltry tax bills of some highly wealthy individuals, such as Topshop owner Sir Philip Green, with campaigners at one recent protest shouting: "Where did all the money go? He took it off to Monaco!" Much of Green's retail empire is owned by his wife, Tina, who lives in the low-tax principality.

A spokeswoman for UK Uncut said: "People like Philip Green use public services – they need the streets to be cleaned, people need public transport to get to their shops – but they don't want to pay for it."

Leaders of G20 countries have repeatedly pledged to close down tax havens since the financial crisis of 2008, when the secrecy shrouding parts of the banking system was widely seen as exacerbating instability. But many countries still refuse to make details of individuals' financial worth available to the tax authorities in their home countries as a matter of course. Tax Justice Network would like to see this kind of exchange of information become standard practice, to prevent rich individuals playing off one jurisdiction against another.

"The very existence of the global offshore industry, and the tax-free status of the enormous sums invested by their wealthy clients, is predicated on secrecy," said Henry.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/jul/21/global-elite-tax-offshore-economy

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2012, 06:44:15 AM »
She seems to be tired
Nothing some tasing won't cure.... >:(

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2012, 07:06:11 AM »
How hard is it to check the validity of a  2 million dollar refund?  I wouldn't put her in jail at all.  I would jail the company responsible for approving such a rediculous claim.

I'm good with her doing jail time, however, I would LOVE the media to not fall back to sleep with this story and follow up on what EXACTLY happened to those responsible for making sure my money, OUR money didn't get sent to someone like this. I think the real story here is accountability and lack of it.   

supernick

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2012, 07:09:47 AM »
doesnt look like shes form oregon ,,, looks to be from the ghetto :-\ :-\ :-\

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2012, 07:15:49 AM »

Oregon.. would explain the concentration of Saquatch sightings in that area..

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2012, 07:31:19 AM »
How hard is it to check the validity of a  2 million dollar refund?  I wouldn't put her in jail at all.  I would jail the company responsible for approving such a rediculous claim.

Thank You!

Fuck the USA!  They let her get the refund, so they could jail her.  Who the fuck is really underhanded?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2012, 08:03:07 AM »
Thank You!

Fuck the USA!  They let her get the refund, so they could jail her.  Who the fuck is really underhanded?

She is for setting out to take taxpayer money, the workers are for not working and we are for putting up with government incompetency as the norm

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2012, 02:46:26 PM »
I'm good with her doing jail time, however, I would LOVE the media to not fall back to sleep with this story and follow up on what EXACTLY happened to those responsible for making sure my money, OUR money didn't get sent to someone like this. I think the real story here is accountability and lack of it.   

Keep in mind that she only spent about $200,000. of that return before she supposedly had her debit card from Turbo Tax stolen. It was when she reported this, that she was caught. Of course, $200,000. is still a lot of money which the Oregon Department of Revenue lost, but it isn't as bad as losing nearly $3,000,000. No doubt she is supposed to pay restitution and fines. Good luck with this ever happening in her case. She seems unemployable and of course she is working for peanuts for the next 5.5 years. My guess is the Oregon Department of Revenue can kiss that $200,000 goodbye.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2012, 02:50:11 PM »
Looks like she bought a little food on her shopping spree.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2012, 02:52:48 PM »
I'm claiming 5 million next time I use Turbo Tax.  "Where do you work": Gay for pay.  "Sounds kosher to me."

Mattyh7688

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2012, 02:54:28 PM »
I would have left the country and changed my name.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2012, 10:36:26 PM »
I would have left the country and changed my name.

That could have worked if she'd had a way to launder the money, which was accessible only through the debit card Turbo Tax issued to her. If she could have converted that to cash which she'd stashed in a no questions asked country, such as one finds in the Caribbean, she might have gotten away with it.

She should have asked Mitt Romney for financial advice....he could have helped her hide her fortune since he's pretty experienced at hiding his.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2012, 11:42:07 PM »

Oh trust me, she fits in perfectly with the people in Salem Oregon. Primemuscle can vouch for this I'm sure.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2012, 08:55:18 AM »
Oh trust me, she fits in perfectly with the people in Salem Oregon. Primemuscle can vouch for this I'm sure.

I will confirm that from what I have seen when in Salem, she isn't all that unique in this city. Hopefully though, there aren't many more idiot scammers like her around. One way or the other, she and her kind cost us taxpayers money, either by stealing or because we pay for them to languish in jail for a few years. Furthermore, it is an absurd waste of time to fine or require these folks to pay restitution....like they will ever be able to do this.

Washington D.C. has some of poorest folks living there. It also has a very high crime rate. When I have been in D.C. I have been amazed at the number of street people one sees. These people are apparently homeless because the are carting around all their possessions and their shelter in shopping carts and backpacks. Also, why are the streets and sidewalks in such poor repair in the capitol city of the U.S.? Salem is not that well kept either. Is this common for most of our capitol cities across the nation?

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2012, 01:46:44 PM »
fucking peanuts when compared to the fraud and tax avoidance the uber rich are guilty of. not only guilty, but often aided and abetted by the very cunts who'll be down on you like a ton of fucking bricks if tou ever decide to get fanciful with the old tax returns.   

£13tn hoard hidden from taxman by global elite

• Study estimates staggering size of offshore economy
• Private banks help wealthiest to move cash into havens

The Cayman Islands: a favourite haven from the taxman for the global elite. Photograph: David Doubilet/National Geographic/Getty Images

A global super-rich elite has exploited gaps in cross-border tax rules to hide an extraordinary £13 trillion ($21tn) of wealth offshore – as much as the American and Japanese GDPs put together – according to research commissioned by the campaign group Tax Justice Network.

James Henry, former chief economist at consultancy McKinsey and an expert on tax havens, has compiled the most detailed estimates yet of the size of the offshore economy in a new report, The Price of Offshore Revisited, released exclusively to the Observer.

He shows that at least £13tn – perhaps up to £20tn – has leaked out of scores of countries into secretive jurisdictions such as Switzerland and the Cayman Islands with the help of private banks, which vie to attract the assets of so-called high net-worth individuals. Their wealth is, as Henry puts it, "protected by a highly paid, industrious bevy of professional enablers in the private banking, legal, accounting and investment industries taking advantage of the increasingly borderless, frictionless global economy". According to Henry's research, the top 10 private banks, which include UBS and Credit Suisse in Switzerland, as well as the US investment bank Goldman Sachs, managed more than £4tn in 2010, a sharp rise from £1.5tn five years earlier.

The detailed analysis in the report, compiled using data from a range of sources, including the Bank of International Settlements and the International Monetary Fund, suggests that for many developing countries the cumulative value of the capital that has flowed out of their economies since the 1970s would be more than enough to pay off their debts to the rest of the world.

Oil-rich states with an internationally mobile elite have been especially prone to watching their wealth disappear into offshore bank accounts instead of being invested at home, the research suggests. Once the returns on investing the hidden assets is included, almost £500bn has left Russia since the early 1990s when its economy was opened up. Saudi Arabia has seen £197bn flood out since the mid-1970s, and Nigeria £196bn.

"The problem here is that the assets of these countries are held by a small number of wealthy individuals while the debts are shouldered by the ordinary people of these countries through their governments," the report says.

The sheer size of the cash pile sitting out of reach of tax authorities is so great that it suggests standard measures of inequality radically underestimate the true gap between rich and poor. According to Henry's calculations, £6.3tn of assets is owned by only 92,000 people, or 0.001% of the world's population – a tiny class of the mega-rich who have more in common with each other than those at the bottom of the income scale in their own societies.

"These estimates reveal a staggering failure: inequality is much, much worse than official statistics show, but politicians are still relying on trickle-down to transfer wealth to poorer people," said John Christensen of the Tax Justice Network. "People on the street have no illusions about how unfair the situation has become."

TUC general secretary Brendan Barber said: "Countries around the world are under intense pressure to reduce their deficits and governments cannot afford to let so much wealth slip past into tax havens.

"Closing down the tax loopholes exploited by multinationals and the super-rich to avoid paying their fair share will reduce the deficit. This way the government can focus on stimulating the economy, rather than squeezing the life out of it with cuts and tax rises for the 99% of people who aren't rich enough to avoid paying their taxes."

Assuming the £13tn mountain of assets earned an average 3% a year for its owners, and governments were able to tax that income at 30%, it would generate a bumper £121bn in revenues – more than rich countries spend on aid to the developing world each year.

Groups such as UK Uncut have focused attention on the paltry tax bills of some highly wealthy individuals, such as Topshop owner Sir Philip Green, with campaigners at one recent protest shouting: "Where did all the money go? He took it off to Monaco!" Much of Green's retail empire is owned by his wife, Tina, who lives in the low-tax principality.

A spokeswoman for UK Uncut said: "People like Philip Green use public services – they need the streets to be cleaned, people need public transport to get to their shops – but they don't want to pay for it."

Leaders of G20 countries have repeatedly pledged to close down tax havens since the financial crisis of 2008, when the secrecy shrouding parts of the banking system was widely seen as exacerbating instability. But many countries still refuse to make details of individuals' financial worth available to the tax authorities in their home countries as a matter of course. Tax Justice Network would like to see this kind of exchange of information become standard practice, to prevent rich individuals playing off one jurisdiction against another.

"The very existence of the global offshore industry, and the tax-free status of the enormous sums invested by their wealthy clients, is predicated on secrecy," said Henry.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/jul/21/global-elite-tax-offshore-economy

Wonder how much of that belongs to Mitt?

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2012, 01:58:46 PM »
I'm claiming 5 million next time I use Turbo Tax.  "Where do you work": Gay for pay.  "Sounds kosher to me."

lolz

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2012, 02:00:42 PM »
I'm glad they nabbed this fat bitch but wouldn't it be great if everyday, we could see some guy from wall street in a suit and tie being brought to jail in cuffs.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2012, 02:37:37 PM »
I'm glad they nabbed this fat bitch but wouldn't it be great if everyday, we could see some guy from wall street in a suit and tie being brought to jail in cuffs.

Assuming these people from Wall Street are thieves, regardless of their attire it would be great to see them brought to justice. More importantly, find where they've stashed the money they took from people and use it to help pay those who've lost their houses, suits, ties and shirts, back.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2012, 08:38:29 PM »
The Rochester police union says local bodybuilder, George “Bulletproof” Farah is lying about being a cop shot in the line duty.

Rochester Police Locust Club President, Mike Mazzeo, calls the claim, “shameful and deceitful. “

"I got a job with the police department and basically I was their rookie, brand new. I wasn't even workin', got a call and I heard that a bank was getting’ robbed and I was in the area so I stopped by to help… To make the story short, I got shot three times," Farah said in an inspiration video posted to Optimum Nutrition’s website.

Police say Farah was never a cop.

They say he was shot in August 1997 in what they described as a dice game gone wrong on Chili Ave., not at a bank robbery.

Mazzeo says he started looking into Farah's background a month ago after someone called the Locust Club wondering why Farah wasn't getting the same support as the Rochester officers who truly were shot in the line of duty.

"Over the years we've seen many instances where we question why an individual would do what they do. Obviously, in this case, we're concerned it was to profit and obviously to benefit himself, at least I believe that. And certainly in doing so, it was a great insult.
It was wrong," Mazzeo said.

Optimum Nutrition pulled the video from its website after the union contacted the company.

Farah remains a contracted athlete.

The 42-year-old trainer and nutritionist has not been charged with a crime.

The district attorney's office is asking anyone who feels they were defrauded by Farah to call them with information.

Farah was not available for comment.
His attorney would also not comment.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2012, 08:56:38 PM »
The Rochester police union says local bodybuilder, George “Bulletproof” Farah is lying about being a cop shot in the line duty.

Rochester Police Locust Club President, Mike Mazzeo, calls the claim, “shameful and deceitful. “

"I got a job with the police department and basically I was their rookie, brand new. I wasn't even workin', got a call and I heard that a bank was getting’ robbed and I was in the area so I stopped by to help… To make the story short, I got shot three times," Farah said in an inspiration video posted to Optimum Nutrition’s website.

Police say Farah was never a cop.

They say he was shot in August 1997 in what they described as a dice game gone wrong on Chili Ave., not at a bank robbery.

Mazzeo says he started looking into Farah's background a month ago after someone called the Locust Club wondering why Farah wasn't getting the same support as the Rochester officers who truly were shot in the line of duty.

"Over the years we've seen many instances where we question why an individual would do what they do. Obviously, in this case, we're concerned it was to profit and obviously to benefit himself, at least I believe that. And certainly in doing so, it was a great insult.
It was wrong," Mazzeo said.

Optimum Nutrition pulled the video from its website after the union contacted the company.

Farah remains a contracted athlete.

The 42-year-old trainer and nutritionist has not been charged with a crime.

The district attorney's office is asking anyone who feels they were defrauded by Farah to call them with information.

Farah was not available for comment.
His attorney would also not comment.

I remember reading about this quite awhile back. Are you sure this isn't old news?

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2012, 11:10:57 PM »
when little people steal they go to jail...when big steal they get bailed out by little people...