Author Topic: Kevin Levrone knows how to own gymrats  (Read 10421 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: Kevin knows how to own gymrats
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 07:41:09 AM »
I bet they go to clubs with that video tape and get the DJ to put it on the big screen to show all the club goes how hardcore they are. Then they get A LOT of women.
X

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 07:44:49 AM »
Levrone had back problems at some point early in his career, if I remember right? That's why he couldn't go all out on squats or legs in general. Check the '92 Olympia, his legs are sick. Dude had prob the best genetics ever. Lastly squats aren't even nessasary for great legs. Big ass, yes

this......

its well known, levrone was as hardcore as anyone but suffered alot with back trouble

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 07:50:17 AM »
Levrone had back problems at some point early in his career, if I remember right? That's why he couldn't go all out on squats or legs in general. Check the '92 Olympia, his legs are sick. Dude had prob the best genetics ever. Lastly squats aren't even nessasary for great legs. Big ass, yes

Big ass unfortunatelly is a part of equation IF you care about proportional development of your physique from biomechanical point of view. Some gluteus maximus development is essential OR you will dramatically increase likelyhood of terrible injuries.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 07:58:14 AM »
Some pics of Jonathan Later from 2009 (light heavy / -90kg class). He had decent conditioning, but shitty structure  :-\

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2012, 11:29:29 AM »
I've always thought reps of 6 and under we're for strongmen and power lifters.. That kid looks like more of a bber to me. I've seen some of your training and you train heavy and you banged reps (chest press)
 That's like someone saying I can bang 500 on the bench but can't do 225 for 20 ... No way.
Cody started to buckle from rep 10 with 225 ....  :-\
You know as well as I do a lot of lifts are just gym fables many guys say I can bench 315 for reps translation a friend is pulling the weight off their chests for every rep, or you hear guys say I can squat 500lbs .. Translation
He unracked the weight stood there and did a 1/18 range of the movement  it even bending the knees....

In his case, you have a good point here^^^

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2012, 12:01:51 PM »
In his case, you have a good point here^^^

Of course man... that video made me laugh ....
ok if we are talking endurance if cody had start to fail on the 3rd set, then i would concede maybe his training style is more explosive and the set and reps had taken its toll..... but he started to waver after set 1 , 10 reps in....  Im guessing as well kevin made him GO deeep thats what messed him up.... probably not used to that range of motion
 I wish he would do one just like this for bench press abusers....

choice is an illusion

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2012, 12:13:56 PM »
This thread is irrelevant. We got our own squat video on getbig....

Rhomboids

• Getbig III
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2012, 01:14:10 PM »
I think the vid proves the kid and his pops are full of shit, use improper form and can't squat worth a shit.  the kid had some good thighs but only compared to his weak upperbody.  I never squatted ass deep.  My ankles don't allow me to go down that deep without raising my heels off the ground.  I did it to parallel and could get up to 500-515 but with a spotter acting like a weightlifting suit on me. 

I'd never brag about how much weight i lifted but i could sure as hell do 225x20 with no problem - even today with my knees completely gone to shit.  I tried high rep squatting after that pic of Tom Platz on Ironman and the article in it.  All i'd get is exhuasted and a good pump, but no size to speak off.  ]

Great ownage either way though. 

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2012, 01:26:37 PM »
I think the vid proves the kid and his pops are full of shit, use improper form and can't squat worth a shit.  the kid had some good thighs but only compared to his weak upperbody.  I never squatted ass deep.  My ankles don't allow me to go down that deep without raising my heels off the ground.  I did it to parallel and could get up to 500-515 but with a spotter acting like a weightlifting suit on me. 

I'd never brag about how much weight i lifted but i could sure as hell do 225x20 with no problem - even today with my knees completely gone to shit.  I tried high rep squatting after that pic of Tom Platz on Ironman and the article in it.  All i'd get is exhuasted and a good pump, but no size to speak off.  ]

Great ownage either way though. 
agree 100000%
choice is an illusion

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2012, 02:39:01 PM »
This thread is irrelevant. We got our own squat video on getbig....

None of my threads are 'irrelevant', Dr Snuggles.
BTW, do you perform squats in your home gym?

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2012, 02:32:14 AM »
None of my threads are 'irrelevant', Dr Snuggles.
BTW, do you perform squats in your home gym?
I hate squats, but I do them after the leg press (got an ancient LP machine).

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2012, 04:14:18 AM »
I hate squats, but I do them after the leg press (got an ancient LP machine).

A shameful confession, I stopped doing squats (and deadlifts as well) because of lower back & hip problems.
My "gym" has 3 leg presses, but all of them are shitty. That modern stuff can't beat a decent 45 degree leg press.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2012, 06:55:29 AM »
So what, Levrone is some squat master?

The guy doesn't know more about squatting than your average gym rat.

And for the record, this kid would get smashed under a 500-pound squat ... if he was going to depth.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2012, 07:01:38 AM »

And for the record, this kid would get smashed under a 500-pound squat ... if he was going to depth.

The 'average gym rat' doesn't even train legs in my place.
I believe you can learn from anybody; their knowledge and/or mistakes, but Kev has good education skills.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2012, 07:06:58 AM »

Or under 315 and remember he said he squats over 500lb. 
 ;D
choice is an illusion